1/55's revisited

kanata67

3 hours ago, Salamander said:

Hmmm...maybe going by today's standards. Back in the 1980s things were a bit more lenient in various European countries, and it also depended on the product category whom to license things from (model kits, for example, were a bit of a gray area).

For the Benelux, I know of the following:

• Orguss and Macross kits made by Arii and Imai were sold in shops, in Japanese boxes, with crudely translated instructions in Dutch/French/English and also the original Japanese instructions included. These have a BigWest licensing sticker.
  • Bandai also sold Japanese kits with Dutch/French/English instructions. The ones I own are two Xabungle (of all things) kits.
  • Various toy retailers had parallel import of actual Japanese toys, with an import sticker slapped on. They also had parallel import of US and Canadian toys. Doing that was not illegal (AFAIK, it still isn't).

large.1521366883_MacrossGermancatalog4.j

large.1980298218_MacrossGermancatalog5.j

5 hours ago, Salamander said:

Hmmm...maybe going by today's standards. Back in the 1980s things were a bit more lenient in various European countries, and it also depended on the product category whom to license things from (model kits, for example, were a bit of a gray area).

Not really. Most, if not all, European countries had signed on to the Berne Convention by the 1970's, which requires signatories to acknowledge international copyrights.

5 hours ago, Salamander said:

For the Benelux, I know of the following:

• Orguss and Macross kits made by Arii and Imai were sold in shops, in Japanese boxes, with crudely translated instructions in Dutch/French/English and also the original Japanese instructions included. These have a BigWest licensing sticker.
  • Bandai also sold Japanese kits with Dutch/French/English instructions. The ones I own are two Xabungle (of all things) kits.
  • Various toy retailers had parallel import of actual Japanese toys, with an import sticker slapped on. They also had parallel import of US and Canadian toys. Doing that was not illegal (AFAIK, it still isn't).

Wait, what are model kits doing in a 1/55 thread? :p

4 hours ago, TheLoneWolf said:

Not really. Most, if not all, European countries had signed on to the Berne Convention by the 1970's, which requires signatories to acknowledge international copyrights.

For some products, especially toys, that only started to be properly enforced in the early to mid-1990s.

For example (non-Macross example :P ), Bandai sold the European version of the Machine Robo DX toy Porsche 930 Turbo in their Robo Machine line under the name..."Porsche 930 Turbo", for at least several years (including in a box that mimicked the official Porsche advertisement style) with all logos intact until the toy was finally released in the Challenge of the Gobots style packaging renamed "Baron von Joy" (still all logos intact). Then in 1993 Bandai could not get away with using "Porsche 930 Turbo" anymore, and when doing their Robo Machine Generation 2 release simply called it "Sports Car II" with the copyright altered to remove the "Porsche 930", generic stickers removing all references to Porsche, and colored like a red Datsun 280Z T-Bar roof to avoid any further suspicion that it, in fact, was a Porsche 930 Turbo (despite looking like one :D ). The reason might have been these treaties: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Duration_Directive and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIPS_Agreement

Copyright in Europe in the 1980s was a mess.

Also, many European countries have exemptions in international copyright law, where local law trumps the international laws. An example is the right to own a personal copy of a recording, which money- and power-hungry US-DMCA-style predators would love to have struck down, but that fortunately keeps failing in court.

Edited by Salamander

• 3 weeks later...

After searching for one for 20-25+ years, I FINALLY got myself a VT-1 Superostrich (I used to think this was "Super Ostrich" but it is actually all one word! "Superostrich" pretty cool)  and man oh man it was worth the wait.  I still like this as much as I ever did.  The local comic book store used to have one on display from time to time as well as Max and Mirya, and some Diaclone and Transformers toys.  I got my diaclone ultra magnus reissue many years ago, though I still need to find a brand new in box one (mine was brand new but I unboxed it, should have left it alone).  Anyway as far as this 1/55 goes, I just used some distilled water to clean off some kind of grease that was on some of the plastic as well as cleaned off the yellowed parts.  It doesn't actually look as yellowed as it did in the photos.  Maybe it is the lighting in here.  At least it was one side was a bit yellowed and the other side is bone white.  Same with one of the booster packs.

All in all, I still love the 1/55 line.  It is still my favorite.  My second favorite now is the Chogokin and then the Hi-Metal R.  Sorry about the Yamatos guys, those just don't hold the great appeal to me but I like Yamato as well in its own way.  I have a set of 1/60 V1 Yamato also.

Now it looks like I should buy GBP-1 armor.  I just don't know if GBP-1 armor fits on the 2000 reissue valkyries or not.  And I should save up for a VE-1 Elintseeker.

8 hours ago, rocketblast said:

Now it looks like I should buy GBP-1 armor.  I just don't know if GBP-1 armor fits on the 2000 reissue valkyries or not.

It in fact does! I can at least confirm that the original armor fits the 2001/2002 reissues. I haven't tried it on my 2008 Origin yet. Here's a shot of it in my collection.

IMG_3222.jpg

On 10/18/2005 at 11:27 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

List of 1/100 Transformable Valkyries

Takatoku VF - 1982

01. 1A CF TV

02. 1J Hikaru TV

03. 1J Max TV

04. 1S Hikaru (Grey) TV

4 = TOTAL

Bandai - 1984 thru 90

01. 1A Hikaru DYRL

1 = TOTAL

(Manufacturers Unknown) VF - Production Dates Unknown

01. 1S White (Battroid Valkyrie)

02. 1J White (Battroid Valkyrie)

03. 1S Grey (Battroid Valkyrie)

04. 1J Grey (Roboticjet)

05. 1J Grey w/ Red and Yellow Chest Stripes (Roboticjet)

5 = TOTAL

Do not see this one on the List of 1/100 Transformable Valkyries.....

large.2046752502_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.1116051578_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.930605885_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.416415323_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.1138177320_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.1107142620_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.502881579_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.744437186_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.279001892_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.805759956_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

19 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Do not see this one on the List of 1/100 Transformable Valkyries.....

large.2046752502_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.1116051578_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.930605885_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.416415323_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.1138177320_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.1107142620_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFigh

large.502881579_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.744437186_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.279001892_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

large.805759956_MatsushiroMiniSpaceFight

I’ll have to add this to the list.  Have found a slew of other 1/55’s as well and need to make some time to add them as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.a1186551fe8ffb052955244cbdf13170.jpeg
Thanks.

2 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

It in fact does! I can at least confirm that the original armor fits the 2001/2002 reissues. I haven't tried it on my 2008 Origin yet. Here's a shot of it in my collection.

IMG_3222.jpg

cool thanks I'll have to get some at some point, once I start saving moneys again :)

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, uzernaem said:

Hi everyone!

I hope you don't mind me bumping up the thread with a small question. I'd like to know if there is any difference between Bandai 2001 and 2008 Origin of Valkyrie reissues, box art aside. Which one is better?

Thank you!

2008 is better, if you want a "clip in" heat shield for the VF-1J...otherwise, the 2008 VF-1S is basically the same as the previous re-release...there may also be additional tampo on the 2008, but off the top of my head, I am not 100% sure...the 2008 also offers never before released Super VF-1A Hikaru and Max combo sets...

5 hours ago, uzernaem said:

Hi everyone!

I hope you don't mind me bumping up the thread with a small question. I'd like to know if there is any difference between Bandai 2001 and 2008 Origin of Valkyrie reissues, box art aside. Which one is better?

Thank you!

You can also check our very own @jenius in-depth reviews on both Takatoku and Bandai releases on his Scorched Earth Toys site.

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=6244

Enjoy! :good:

2 hours ago, Bub said:

Hope Bandai reissues the 1/55s…

Specifically at a price around at most $50 for me and being available on websites like Amazon and BBTS with that new deal, along with fulfilling the promise that the Origin of Valkyrie line had (such as reissuing stuff like the VE-1 and doing stuff like the VF-1D)

45 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Specifically at a price around at most $50 for me and being available on websites like Amazon and BBTS with that new deal, along with fulfilling the promise that the Origin of Valkyrie line had (such as reissuing stuff like the VE-1 and doing stuff like the VF-1D)

No chance in hell it’s that low.

Just because the design is old, doesn’t mean it’s super cheap to produce. 

One more question: does anyone make old style "derp skull" replacement stickers that could be used to cover the more detailed logos on 2000s releases?

1990-Banda-Super-VF-1S-3.jpg

Edit: apparently the sticker sheet above is from the 1990 release, older ones had a different, crack-less skull:

8510769881_ae3be4a86a_b.jpg

I wonder how many skull logo variations are out there.

Edited by uzernaem

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

...and what they will do instead is give us a new "Chunky Monkey" in 1/35....1/40th?....for the Macross 40th anniversary!

8ft Chunky Monkey is not enough? ;)

:lol: 

On 5/26/2021 at 5:42 AM, uzernaem said:

One more question: does anyone make old style "derp skull" replacement stickers that could be used to cover the more detailed logos on 2000s releases?

1990-Banda-Super-VF-1S-3.jpg

What does "derp skull" mean in this context?

derp

/dərp/

INFORMAL

exclamation

used as a substitute for speech regarded as meaningless or stupid, or to comment on a foolish or stupid action.

"Lower tax rates and far lower job creation. Derp"

noun

foolishness or stupidity.

"the derp heard outside apparently was only the tip of the iceberg"

In reference to the silliness of the style and shape of the old skull and crossbones.

10 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Y'know, I wonder why Takatoku associated Misa with the 1A

Was she ever planned to fly one in the series itself at some point (or did that actually happen and I forgot because I had a two-year hiatus between the fourteenth and fifteen episodes)?

Probably because it was better than placing an unknown pilot on the box....and the rest of the VF-1's already had their own characters on their boxes...well, with the exception of Roy....However, the release of the Takatoku VF-1S coincided with the release of the SDFM TV episode 18 "Pineapple Salad" (February 1983)....maybe Takatoku thought having a dead guy on the toy box would have hurt sales....lol.....anyway, it definitely wouldn't make sense to have placed Roy on the VF-1A box....a valk that gets shot down and blown to smithereens in every episode ....:(

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

Probably because it was better than placing an unknown pilot on the box....and the rest of the VF-1's already had their own characters on their boxes...well, with the exception of Roy....However, the release of the Takatoku VF-1S coincided with the release of the SDFM TV episode 18 "Pineapple Salad" (February 1983)....maybe Takatoku thought having a dead guy on the toy box would have hurt sales....lol.....anyway, it definitely wouldn't make sense to have placed Roy on the VF-1A box....a valk that gets shot down and blown to smithereens in every episode ....:(

They could put Kakizaki on there... but Misa is a more popular character, probably that's why.

I find situation with Roy interesting because the 2002 re-release actually designated him as a pilot for the non-super grey VF-1S release (all releases of Hikaru's super Valkyrie are white if I got this correctly). I think that "dead guy on the toy box" sentiment is definitely correct. It's only some years later it became obvious that, dead or not, people still like Roy and he can sell figures.