1/55's revisited

kanata67

20 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Agreed! Nice to see some love for the CM!

Yeah, the recent talks pushed me over the edge. I’m not taking anything away from anyone else but I might have the most love for the CM. They are a one of a kind, greatest of all time, once in a lifetime toy. 

27 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Yeah, the recent talks pushed me over the edge. I’m not taking anything away from anyone else but I might have the most love for the CM. They are a one of a kind, greatest of all time, once in a lifetime toy. 

Agreed.

Great to see there is still plenty of love for the original Vf-1. Takatoku did an amazing job engineering and executing this magnificent mecha puzzle.

3 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Agreed.

Great to see there is still plenty of love for the original Vf-1. Takatoku did an amazing job engineering and executing this magnificent mecha puzzle.

Even random photographs are a great way to archive.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Nice pics @Slave IV.  I only bought 3 CF VF-1As when they were first reissued.  The boxes didn’t come sealed so they could be carefully opened without bending the box flap.  One was converted into a CF VF-1J a long time ago.

gallery_21587_791_28916.jpg

Speaking of the VF-1J, I believe the first reissue release of the VF-1J Hikaru didn’t have a swappable heatshield.  Some people were saying that all of the reissues did.

42 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

Speaking of the VF-1J, I believe the first reissue release of the VF-1J Hikaru didn’t have a swappable heatshield.  Some people were saying that all of the reissues did.

The only 1J with a swappable heat shield is the 2008 re-re-releases.

Macross-Bandai-1-55-VF-1J-transformable-

3 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I don’t believe you. :rolleyes:

I think @sqidd was just clarifying and validating your statement since there was an ask for specifics on heat shields. I know I left that clarification out by mistake for example.

Ok.  :rolleyes:

I actually owned the first reissue release when it first came out and then bought the Origin of Valkyrie version when it first came out because it had the heatshield.

1 minute ago, sh9000 said:

I actually owned the first reissue release when it first came out and then bought the Origin of Valkyrie version when it first came out because it had the heatshield.

The lack of a swappable canopy and heatshield on the re-release of the Hikaru 1J (not the Origin of Valkyrie re-re-release) has made my 1/55 custom project a bit more challenging. It's one of the reasons why I have a resin clip-on heatshield for each one. That and it looks nicer to have the heatshield sitting flush with the chestplate, like the later offerings from Yamato, Bandai, and Arcadia.

2 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

The lack of a swappable canopy and heatshield on the re-release of the Hikaru 1J (not the Origin of Valkyrie re-re-release) has made my 1/55 custom project a bit more challenging. It's one of the reasons why I have a resin clip-on heatshield for each one. That and it looks nicer to have the heatshield sitting flush with the chestplate, like the later offerings from Yamato, Bandai, and Arcadia.

That’s cool.  In regards to customs, I still have my recast 1/55 GBP armor and Strike Parts made by @Myersjessee from a long time ago.  I forgot who made what but I used to have a resin VF-1D head and I think a truer DYRL VF-1A head.  Also DYRL arm armor that would peg into the slots in the arms.

18 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I wish they would just jump start the line again. Do reissues again with full tampo this time. Make sure to reissue DYRL VF-1S Strike, VE-1 and VT-1. And then start filling in the gaps of SDFM and DYRL that weren't previously there. Hell, you could even design a stand this time. I would purchase soooo many.

You hear that Bandai??? Long live the Chunky Monkey!

I saw a big increase in the number of chunkys for sale recently. Maybe there will be a re-re-release coming up soon? Maybe for the 40th anniversary? Who knows...

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

That’s cool.  In regards to customs, I still have my recast 1/55 GBP armor and Strike Parts made by @Myersjessee from a long time ago.  I forgot who made what but I used to have a resin VF-1D head and I think a truer DYRL VF-1A head.  Also DYRL arm armor that would peg into the slots in the arms.

I have those items in my resin stash, too! The VF-1D head and heatshield was a conversion kit made by Chris Barretta. I'm not sure who made the DYRA VF-1A head, but it is definitely distinct from the TV-style one that Chris also made. Also not sure who made the arm armor, but the peg-in design is way better than clipping it on. Here's some of my stash:

60463262_2709341225746230_3803738292784988160_o.jpg

60779606_2709341109079575_2098436143681896448_o.jpg

Edited by Anasazi37

That custom is sweet @sh9000!

And thanks to everyone with the continued information and clarification of the heat shield discussion. 

I’ve mentioned that I do believe the CM will be reissued one day. I don’t even know how many I actually have because they either got packed for me if they were old versions when I moved out or any reissues I bought, I packed them away immediately after purchase and haven’t seen most of them since. When I came across my 1S Super Pack, I grabbed it and put it on a shelf but that’s it. If they do reissue these things, I’ll still buy more. 

2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

I have those items in my resin stash, too! The VF-1D head and heatshield was a conversion kit made by Chris Barretta. I'm not sure who made the DYRA VF-1A head, but it is definitely distinct from the TV-style one that Chris also made. Also not sure who made the arm armor, but the peg-in design is way better than clipping it on. Here's some of my stash:

How are there no aftermarket SSP's for the Chunkies? Seems like a no brainer.

And the clip in heat shields drive me nuts too. Ironically the only one I have a clip in heat shield on is arguably one of the rarest "grails" from the line. The VF-1S Strike Hikaru. That ugly non flush heat shield on that beauty is a real shame. 

What units came with screw in heat shields again? Or to be more specific which ones came with screw in cockpits and or heat shields again? All of the Tatkatoku and 1984 Bandai releases? Maybe I can find a junker with a cockpit to paint.:unknw:

17 minutes ago, sqidd said:

How are there no aftermarket SSP's for the Chunkies? Seems like a no brainer.

And the clip in heat shields drive me nuts too. Ironically the only one I have a clip in heat shield on is arguably one of the rarest "grails" from the line. The VF-1S Strike Hikaru. That ugly non flush heat shield on that beauty is a real shame. 

What units came with screw in heat shields again? Or to be more specific which ones came with screw in cockpits and or heat shields again? All of the Tatkatoku and 1984 Bandai releases? Maybe I can find a junker with a cockpit to paint.:unknw:

Based on the recent discussion on the topic, this is what I infer. 

All Takatoku releases have the ability to remove canopy or heat shield using the screw method but I can’t confirm any came with both. Seems like only the single release 1S with yellow stripe had the heat shield only so you could mix and match between them. 

The older Bandai releases before the reissues seem to all have the same screw method capability with just the Hikaru Strike 1S confirmed to come with both. 

Thats all I got that I am fairly confident about but probably wrong about something there too. Basically, if it came with the clip over heat shield, I’m assuming you could still remove the canopy using the screw method but no one has confirmed that. Just seems to make sense to my logic. 

Edited by Slave IV

3 hours ago, Gabe Q said:

I saw a big increase in the number of chunkys for sale recently. Maybe there will be a re-re-release coming up soon? Maybe for the 40th anniversary? Who knows...

Keeping my fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Ok. :rolleyes:

I actually owned the first reissue a long time after release because it was a decent back-tax-price. But didn’t really care about the heatshield. Now all this talk reminded me that I may want the Origin version after all. So you know there’s that and stuff.

:pardon:

2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Nice man!! I’m always in awe of you guys who have been collecting for long. :hail: My money went to a divorce and a bachelor life in the early 00’s so I missed a good 15 years of collecting. 

11 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Based on the recent discussion on the topic, this is what I infer. 

All Takatoku releases have the ability to remove canopy or heat shield using the screw method but I can’t confirm any came with both. Seems like only the single release 1S with yellow stripe had the heat shield only so you could mix and match between them. 

The older Bandai releases before the reissues seem to all have the same screw method capability with just the Hikaru Strike 1S confirmed to come with both. 

Thats all I got that I am fairly confident about but probably wrong about something there too. Basically, if it came with the clip over heat shield, I’m assuming you could still remove the canopy using the screw method but no one has confirmed that. Just seems to make sense to my logic. 

Let's put it all out there
Takatoku toys:
VF-1S (gray) including GBP gift-set: Heat shield only, no clear canopy
VF-1J Hikaru: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1J Max: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1J Miria: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1A Misa: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1S Super: Canopy only, no heat shield

Bandai 1985:
VF-1S Strike Hikaru: Screw on heat shield included
VF-1A DYRL Hikaru: Slide-on heat shield included
VE-1: Slide on heat shield included
VT-1: Slide on heat shield included

Bandai 1990:
VF-1S Super: Slide on heat shield included

Bandai 2000:
VF-1J Hikaru: Canopy only
VF-1S (all versions): Clip-in heat shield included
VF-1A (all versions): Clip-in heat shield included
VF-1J Max/Miria: Clip-in heat shield included

Bandai Origin of Valkyrie releases: Clip-in heat shield included

Nice! So it seems I did get it mostly right other than missing the Takatoku GBP set also only had the heat shield. Also that odd Hikaru 1J reissue before the clip in replacements were made. Finally, it is safe to assume all of those that either came with nothing or slide over shield can remove canopy using screw method. And the only screw in heat shields are the black skulls. 

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Let's put it all out there
Takatoku toys:
VF-1S (gray) including GBP gift-set: Heat shield only, no clear canopy
VF-1J Hikaru: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1J Max: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1J Miria: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1A Misa: Canopy only, no heat shield
VF-1S Super: Canopy only, no heat shield

Bandai 1985:
VF-1S Strike Hikaru: Screw on heat shield included
VF-1A DYRL Hikaru: Slide-on heat shield included
VE-1: Slide on heat shield included
VT-1: Slide on heat shield included

Bandai 1990:
VF-1S Super: Slide on heat shield included

Bandai 2000:
VF-1J Hikaru: Canopy only
VF-1S (all versions): Clip-in heat shield included
VF-1A (all versions): Clip-in heat shield included
VF-1J Max/Miria: Clip-in heat shield included

Bandai Origin of Valkyrie releases: Clip-in heat shield included

Nice!

42 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! So it seems I did get it mostly right other than missing the Takatoku GBP set also only had the heat shield. Also that odd Hikaru 1J reissue before the clip in replacements were made. Finally, it is safe to assume all of those that either came with nothing or slide over shield can remove canopy using screw method. And the only screw in heat shields are the black skulls. 

Well, you *can* remove the canopy from the 2000 Hikaru 1J reissue using a screwdriver, but there isn't a screw-in heatshield for it and you can't use an older one as a substitute. Bandai modified the nosecone section a little bit for the reissue, resulting in a slightly larger canopy compared to the earlier releases. Found that out the hard way when I went to attach one of the resin clear canopies I acquired in the early 2000's to my Hikaru 1J custom. It was designed to fit on a Jetfire. So, I had to fall back to the amber-colored one that came with the reissue. Not terrible, but not what I really wanted for my customs (clear canopies on all of them!). Would have been nice for Bandai to include a slide-on heatshield, but no such luck.

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Nice man!! I’m always in awe of you guys who have been collecting for long. :hail: My money went to a divorce and a bachelor life in the early 00’s so I missed a good 15 years of collecting. 

Those parts have traveled with me across the country and back over the past 19 years. I acquired all of them before I met my wife, but she's been very understanding about them. I told her that one day I would actually use them to make customs and that day has finally come. :yahoo:

Edited by Anasazi37

3 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Nice!

Well, you *can* remove the canopy from the 2000 Hikaru 1J reissue using a screwdriver, but there isn't a screw-in heatshield for it and you can't use an older one as a substitute. Bandai modified the nosecone section a little bit for the reissue, resulting in a slightly larger canopy compared to the earlier releases. Found that out the hard way when I went to attach one of the resin clear canopies I acquired in the early 2000's to my Hikaru 1J custom. It was designed to fit on a Jetfire. So, I had to fall back to the amber-colored one that came with the reissue. Not terrible, but not what I really wanted for my customs (clear canopies on all of them!). Would have been nice for Bandai to include a slide-on heatshield, but no such luck.

Ah, more clarification. Excellent and thank you!

It’s amazing how quickly we all banded and collaborated together to get the facts and provide great information to share with the community.

The way we worked together made me think of taking this picture.

1796B642-4A2D-4AB2-8C8F-80CFDEACEA61.jpeg

That’s what makes this site so great!

Have any of you ever kept track of your incoming custom parts from various craftsmen of the Valkyrie trade?

Here’s a little something I put together three years ago as I was sifting through parts and stashes.

I have plenty more to share but I would invite others to show their custom parts and create a log on this thread for these elusive goodies.

Resin, decals, stickers, custom parts, all are welcome and encouraged.

208312B2-6203-4F2C-B24B-C6C0D5C3BDFE.jpeg

DA983D7E-C09A-4ECE-B494-28DE6B0EA220.jpeg

FFFD474F-E942-41B6-86D2-719DED129B27.jpeg

9942E0FD-986B-4414-A99F-CA898F466AD3.jpeg

7A4B870F-07DD-4606-B0E4-89D3D5F35B67.jpeg

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

I told her that one day I would actually use them to make customs and that day has finally come.

Can't wait to see!!

36 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

It’s amazing how quickly we all banded and collaborated together to get the facts and provide great information to share with the community.

Dude. Couldn't agree more. I don't contribute anything from a custom standpoint, but I love watching you and others post stuff and trade notes. It's the same appreciation I have for Art. I'm a creative (music, writing, etc.) but I'm not an artist. I understand many of the mediums in art. I understand a broad approach to art. I just can't execute on it myself. But I admire and appreciate it with an understanding of it. That's how this is for me.

And btw, killer shots of custom parts and the valk!

Is there a trick/fix for the spring clip that holds the back in place in Battroid mode? I have a couple of older 80's units that are loose enough to where if you try and rotate the arms backward without holding on to the body it will lift the entire back off.

58 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Totally agree and awesome collection of parts there! I'm with @DYRL VF-1S about customizing my own stuff but I certainly love seeing what you and others come up with. Great stuff!

55 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Can't wait to see!!

Dude. Couldn't agree more. I don't contribute anything from a custom standpoint, but I love watching you and others post stuff and trade notes. It's the same appreciation I have for Art. I'm a creative (music, writing, etc.) but I'm not an artist. I understand many of the mediums in art. I understand a broad approach to art. I just can't execute on it myself. But I admire and appreciate it with an understanding of it. That's how this is for me.

And btw, killer shots of custom parts and the valk!

Thank you.

Here are a few other I have picked up along the way.

The stripped Jetfires are froM ravishingrick, not sure if he is still a member here. The heads and heat shields are from Rob Beers. Weapons are modified and from various KOs like Joons, Clover, and blister packed Valkyries. The VE-1  Armor set with head is from Mike Salzo.

2B155601-AD6D-4E60-BE0C-125930276C58.jpeg

11 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Is there a trick/fix for the spring clip that holds the back in place in Battroid mode? I have a couple of older 80's units that are loose enough to where if you try and rotate the arms backward without holding on to the body it will lift the entire back off.

It could be that previous owners pulled the back plate away and wore out the two teeth that hold the chest and back plate together.

You could rebuild the teeth by layering “Crazy Glue.” It takes time but it will increase the size of the teeth and hold better.

Remember when transforming these 1/55, you always have to open the trap door on the back plate and press the retainer down to free it. Forcing it open always wears out the teeth prematurely.

Hope this helps.