1/55's revisited

kanata67

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Can you elaborate? Always curious to learn more from the Toy experts.

First is the sticker on the chest. It implies the figure was used a fair amount. Quite a bit of dirt around the edge.

Second is the Jetfire armor is far too clean to match the VE-1.  

Next is the instruction sheet. There shouldn’t be any. From all the examples I have seen for as far as I can remember never had documents associated with these gift sets.

Other clues are also found in the armor parts, but in order to tell if they are legit to this incident at that particular time, I would need to get a hold of it.

There is more but I would hate to give away all the tells as someone could create a duplicate. It would take the right parts, but as we all know it can be done.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

On 1/1/2023 at 10:07 PM, jvmacross said:

It could be that you had an early release Strike Valkyrie....the first batch were actually Takatoku VF-1S repaints....the paint jobs on these were kind of sloppy....you can tell you have a Takatoku branded version if it has the T.T. logo underneath the Bandai sticker behind the chest plate....like this...

large.2040037243_BandaiTakatokusticker.j

large.20200501_223729.jpg.0ce1441a7e1feb

large.20200501_223707.jpg.2efd6101d42283

I took it out of storage and it seems to just be victim of bad QC and not an early variant :( I was hoping it was an early edition. 

I already opened it twice and just could not bare to stress the box flap again (was extremely tight) next person to open one last time will be someone as CAS or CAD

IMG20230104204803.jpg

IMG20230104204345.jpg

IMG20230104204224.jpg

IMG20230104204824.jpg

IMG20230104204944.jpg

IMG20230104204827.jpg

IMG20230104204927.jpg

IMG20230104204247.jpg

IMG20230104204819.jpg

IMG20230104204953.jpg

Rare KO showed up today. surprised its still up on the bay for the asking price. 

Space Gandam - Robotech Macross Valkyrie KO - VF-1J 1/55 - MIB Box

Is it really a knockoff if it had its own cartoon show & storyline? or should it be adapted as an alternate timeline?

s-l1600.jpg

35 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

Rare KO showed up today. surprised its still up on the bay for the asking price. 

Space Gandam - Robotech Macross Valkyrie KO - VF-1J 1/55 - MIB Box

Is it really a knockoff if it had its own cartoon show & storyline? or should it be adapted as an alternate timeline?

s-l1600.jpg

It’s a KO.

Yes, it was produced for the South Korean audiences.

No, there is no continuity between Space Gandam V and Macross to make this an alternate universe.

The asking price is pretty low. I would snatch this up if I didn’t have this already. 

20 minutes ago, takatoys said:

Does anybody have a nice picture of the 4 variation boxes of 1/55 VF-1J made by Takatoku. I wonder if someone got all 4 in his collection. 

I have a nice minty set.

Currently in a storage box. But hopefully this will suffice.

image.jpeg.7684c707dee34d0d0e440353208e5931.jpeg

5 hours ago, takatoys said:

I was expecting a recent picture of a collector. Have not seen anybody having all those 4 on a shelf 🙂

On a table. Not the best display but given the limited table space, I think it works.

image.jpeg.a347b80e7c253b997277fb5ba9f7ccc0.jpeg

😊

Edited by nightmareB4macross
Pic added.

For me, it has value because it is a ligament item from the factory that should not have existed.  Thus it should be rare.  Therefore keep it as is and you can find the appropriate armor to keep along with it if it makes you feel better.  That's assuming that it wasn't assembled to create a "rare" item.  The age of the plastic however, makes it worryingly fragile.  :shok:  

14 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

So based on this recent event, this brings up an interesting question for every collector out there.

Would you keep this as is, or find the missing armour and complete the set?

I would hope whoever won it...bought it because they thought it was an infamous Pony Toy Go Round release...these were not released in Japan this way, right?

Anyway....it would most likely cost more to Frankenstein a complete Elint based on what you are getting in that auction than just waiting for one to get listed....plus a complete Elint will most likely show up several times within the next decade than a complete stand alone set of Elint Armor....plus Styrofoam box...stickers...manuals...catalog...etc....

And if these items were to show up together...it would probably sell for at minimum 300-400...maybe even more

I think the last decent shaped Elint sold for around 1000 usd....maybe @Shawnhas some sold data on it...

Question for the old-school Takatoku collectors here
I always hear the packaged Valkyrie/Armor sets (either valk & super or valk & gbp) referred to as the 'giftsets'

So this would be the GBP GiftSet.

image.png.dcbf87463beeca479e9e6010e35d2fe3.png

I get the term is used to differentiate a normal VF-1S from the standalone armor packages, as it could get confusing how to refer to it
But where does the term 'Giftset' originate? Is it on the packaging or instructions or something? Is it referred as such in Japan? Is it a states only thing?
Curious minds want to know

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I always hear the packaged Valkyrie/Armor sets (either valk & super or valk & gbp) referred to as the 'giftsets'

I get the term is used to differentiate a normal VF-1S from the standalone armor packages, as it could get confusing how to refer to it
But where does the term 'Giftset' originate? Is it on the packaging or instructions or something? Is it referred as such in Japan? Is it a states only thing?

That is a great question to which I have no answer. It could had been a term created and coined on these on these very forums. 

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

Pretty sure that is just a US term....I have always referred to them as combo sets...both Super and the GBP sets...

I'll take a look at the Takatoku catalogs and see if there is any mention....you can probably also see what they are referred to in some of the mooks