1/55's revisited

kanata67

On 10/17/2021 at 6:40 PM, masarujasu said:

I messed up and triple submitted the above reply. I'll use this real estate to ask another question.

In May 2019, some 'prototypes' appeared on YAJ. I saved all the auction photos, bought a few for myself, for illustration purposes I've added some pics below. I also submitted all the auctions to web archive for posterity at the time, thinking they may be significant.

In all, 12 specimens. New head sculpts, painted, with a painted pilot in the cockpit. Base figure is 2001 China.

I wanted to know if anyone had seen the specimens that xstoys brought to the MWCon in 2004, in person. Those figures appeared to have unpainted heads, but no close ups were ever shared. Even though I certainly thought I could see some key indicators from the convention photos, they are extremely small and not definitive. Can anyone corroborate whether these look like they are related to those unpainted prototypes?

i-img900x675-1557900719n22uor1219226.jpg

i-img900x675-1557900564u7f0et1245352.jpg

i-img900x675-1557570896lklnju1029743.jpg

i-img900x675-1557900650tanpa81245558.jpg

i-img900x675-1557571012dxrfee280405.jpg

i-img900x675-1557571122kvnmpi1032109.jpg

i-img900x675-1558260556ucvtil1523869.jpg

i-img900x675-1557900474ghgtub1218756.jpg

i-img900x675-15582604583rvl561528686.jpg

i-img900x675-1558260328jh5o5z1595366.jpg

i-img900x675-1558260276rew2wd1523575.jpg

i-img900x675-1557571054hqgvfs1029881.jpg

These appear to be the same as the Bandai prototypes XsToys displayed year ago.

On 10/20/2021 at 2:21 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

This is the first time I have ever seen this combination. It’s very hard to say it didn’t happen as stranger things have been found. It just seems odd to find a 1990 box with 1984-85 figure inside.

Have you ever pulled the item from the packaging? Might be good to document this.

I slid a mirror under to view the stamp because I am reluctant to break the seal and remove the figure. It's a standard earlier undated BANDAI.

20211022_184846.jpg

20211022_184909.jpg

Edited by masarujasu

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, TheLoneWolf said:

I have no idea, I've wondered about that myself.

On a somewhat related note, here's an article about a Jetfire was used in Hasbro's photoshoots. I expected it to be a cousin to my Matsushiro Super VF-1S and be a Matsushiro Jetfire, but it's actually a Bandai branded Jetfire, as evidenced by the unlined canopy and the Bandai branded backplate! And it's legitimate because it came directly from Hasbro with a certificate of authenticity. I had always assumed that the Matsushiro branded Jetfires were the first releases of Jetfire, with the Bandai branded ones being manufactured afterwards, but this photoshoot Jetfire turns that notion on its head.

The only explanations I can think of are these:

• That Jetfire was used in later photoshoots, with a Matsushiro branded Jetfire being used in earlier photoshoots. I can't imagine Hasbro requiring multiple photoshoots at different time periods for the same children's toy, but maybe?
  • Bandai was manufacturing both Matsushiro and Bandai branded Jetfires alongside each other at the same time in their factory, which would make aging these toys incredibly difficult for collectors.

Collecting and/or writing about Jetfire involves going down an insanely deep rabbit hole, complete with loops, twists, and turns :wacko:

That's an interesting question, I wonder if anyone has done the research on that one before.

Anyways, Happy New Year everyone!

I am inclined to agree with the first scenario.

There is evidence of multiple shoots for Jetfire at different times, with specimens prepared by Hasbro.

The first being the toy and transformation photography on the packaging, that uses a Takatoku base figure with ridged antenna, sharp nosecone, lined canopy (painted black), painted leg fins, and even a missile in the gun. But the key points are the ovular 'openings' on the nosecone the circular 'openings' on the the hip beside the main intake. They are painted red. I say 'opening' because I am unsure if these are nozzles/thrusters/intakes/sensors in the Macross canon.

Next, the 1985 pre toy fair catalog uses two typical Matsushiros (one boxed) with painted red opening on the nosecone. The one near the intake is unclear. http://obscuretf.com/hhk/images/full/USPRETF1985f.jpg

After that, the pack-in 1985 catalog, the specimens (2) used here are a Matsu/Bandai transitional figure. Clear striped canopy, smooth antenna, stubbed nosecone, Matsu sprue legs, pre-rubsign, (probably Bandai undated stamp). Again, the two openings are painted(?) red. https://tfarchive.com/toys/catalogues/generationone_catalogue/85a_catalog.jpg

The specimen showcased on the TFSource article is not any of the above. The red openings on the nosecone is a sticker that has been applied, so assume the same of the red openings near the intake. This may indicate that on previous examples this was a sticker as well. https://tfsource.com/blog/2018/09/14/collector-interview-72-jeremy-kaufmann/

In the 1985 Sears catalog, https://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/sears1985.jpg the Jetfire looks to be photography prepared by Hasbro as the openings are again red and the figure is fully decaled. But this is a different specimen with unlined canopy and a rubsign. Contrast that with the JCPenney catalog that looks like they did their own photography without applying any decals or enhancements. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUHx0U1X0AUlW-m?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

My conclusion is that when preparing a figure for a shoot, there are some tweaks done by Hasbro to improve the visual appeal of the figure, I.e. the red details. This is consistent with the authenticated figure from the TFSource article, although it is unclear which specific paperwork this specimen ended up on. And, Jetfire has been photographed multiple times, using the available figure variants at the time.

Edited by masarujasu

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/31/2021 at 9:10 AM, masarujasu said:

I am inclined to agree with the first scenario.

There is evidence of multiple shoots for Jetfire at different times, with specimens prepared by Hasbro.

The first being the toy and transformation photography on the packaging, that uses a Takatoku base figure with ridged antenna, sharp nosecone, lined canopy (painted black), painted leg fins, and even a missile in the gun. But the key points are the ovular 'openings' on the nosecone the circular 'openings' on the the hip beside the main intake. They are painted red. I say 'opening' because I am unsure if these are nozzles/thrusters/intakes/sensors in the Macross canon.

Next, the 1985 pre toy fair catalog uses two typical Matsushiros (one boxed) with painted red opening on the nosecone. The one near the intake is unclear. http://obscuretf.com/hhk/images/full/USPRETF1985f.jpg

After that, the pack-in 1985 catalog, the specimens (2) used here are a Matsu/Bandai transitional figure. Clear striped canopy, smooth antenna, stubbed nosecone, Matsu sprue legs, pre-rubsign, (probably Bandai undated stamp). Again, the two openings are painted(?) red. https://tfarchive.com/toys/catalogues/generationone_catalogue/85a_catalog.jpg

The specimen showcased on the TFSource article is not any of the above. The red openings on the nosecone is a sticker that has been applied, so assume the same of the red openings near the intake. This may indicate that on previous examples this was a sticker as well. https://tfsource.com/blog/2018/09/14/collector-interview-72-jeremy-kaufmann/

In the 1985 Sears catalog, https://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/sears1985.jpg the Jetfire looks to be photography prepared by Hasbro as the openings are again red and the figure is fully decaled. But this is a different specimen with unlined canopy and a rubsign. Contrast that with the JCPenney catalog that looks like they did their own photography without applying any decals or enhancements. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EUHx0U1X0AUlW-m?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

My conclusion is that when preparing a figure for a shoot, there are some tweaks done by Hasbro to improve the visual appeal of the figure, I.e. the red details. This is consistent with the authenticated figure from the TFSource article, although it is unclear which specific paperwork this specimen ended up on. And, Jetfire has been photographed multiple times, using the available figure variants at the time.

Amazing, you've done fantastic research into this! I completely agree with your assessment that there were multiple photo shoots for Jetfire taking place at different times.

And thank you for providing sources to back up your theory; it's hard to argue with dated pictures. Have you ever considered doing a comprehensive write-up of all your findings? G1 Jetfire's history is one of the most complicated around and it'd be nice to find everything in one (long) article.

On 11/19/2021 at 2:40 AM, TheLoneWolf said:

Amazing, you've done fantastic research into this! I completely agree with your assessment that there were multiple photo shoots for Jetfire taking place at different times.

And thank you for providing sources to back up your theory; it's hard to argue with dated pictures. Have you ever considered doing a comprehensive write-up of all your findings? G1 Jetfire's history is one of the most complicated around and it'd be nice to find everything in one (long) article.

Yes! I have considered it. I've just written a massive essay on Shockwave which was essentially Jetfire's Christmas '84 nemesis, and researching the former has uncovered a lot for me about the latter. I think it would be fitting to do the same for Jetfire.

One thing I dropped the ball on re: the photoshoot discussion - Jetfire actually does come with little red decals (2 ovals/2 circles), but they are really badly cut and the Kaufmann specimen looks to have a cleaner and fuller set used for whatever shoot it was involved in. I photographed a freshly applied decal from a spare sheet below to illustrate how bad it looks.

So that raises a doubt on whether the Sears photo shoot was with Hasbro-supplied photography or done in-house, because any retailer can apply these decals if they are fastidious enough. Though many are not, for example, Argos catalogs missing key decals on Jetfire, as well as erroneous toy configurations on other figures:

So to fill the gap we really can only look at other Hasbro issued documentation, this time the 1985 European catalog, where Jetfire is actually the Autobot leader (due to Optimus Prime's rights sitting with another company at the time). https://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/transformers.jpg 

This is different photography from the 1985 US catalog. An easy tell is the missing stickers on the dorsal fast packs. This photoshoot took place at the same location that Hasbro used for the 1984 toy-fair catalog. So it's a different shoot - but not due to geography - it's still at USA HQ. 

So to summarize known shoots:

• Packaging
  • 1985 pre toy fair
  • 1985 US catalog (same as 1986)
  • 1985 Euro catalog

Jetfire decal.png

• 4 months later...
On 11/23/2021 at 6:03 AM, masarujasu said:

Yes! I have considered it. I've just written a massive essay on Shockwave which was essentially Jetfire's Christmas '84 nemesis, and researching the former has uncovered a lot for me about the latter. I think it would be fitting to do the same for Jetfire.

One thing I dropped the ball on re: the photoshoot discussion - Jetfire actually does come with little red decals (2 ovals/2 circles), but they are really badly cut and the Kaufmann specimen looks to have a cleaner and fuller set used for whatever shoot it was involved in. I photographed a freshly applied decal from a spare sheet below to illustrate how bad it looks.

So that raises a doubt on whether the Sears photo shoot was with Hasbro-supplied photography or done in-house, because any retailer can apply these decals if they are fastidious enough. Though many are not, for example, Argos catalogs missing key decals on Jetfire, as well as erroneous toy configurations on other figures:

So to fill the gap we really can only look at other Hasbro issued documentation, this time the 1985 European catalog, where Jetfire is actually the Autobot leader (due to Optimus Prime's rights sitting with another company at the time). https://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/transformers.jpg 

This is different photography from the 1985 US catalog. An easy tell is the missing stickers on the dorsal fast packs. This photoshoot took place at the same location that Hasbro used for the 1984 toy-fair catalog. So it's a different shoot - but not due to geography - it's still at USA HQ. 

So to summarize known shoots:

• Packaging
  • 1985 pre toy fair
  • 1985 US catalog (same as 1986)
  • 1985 Euro catalog

Jetfire decal.png

Very comprehensive research. So much fun to read.  Are you still working on or planning on writing an article of all your findings?

When referring to the European version are you talking about the Milton Bradley Jetfire produced in Macau?

On 4/14/2022 at 5:20 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

Very comprehensive research. So much fun to read.  Are you still working on or planning on writing an article of all your findings?

When referring to the European version are you talking about the Milton Bradley Jetfire produced in Macau?

Yeah, still on my to do list. I'm not aware of a Jetfire release made in Macau. Can you elaborate on that?

4 hours ago, masarujasu said:

Yeah, still on my to do list. I'm not aware of a Jetfire release made in Macau. Can you elaborate on that?

https://20thcenturytoycollector.com/posts/category/transformers/page/2/

There is a ton a of great information found here.

17 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

https://20thcenturytoycollector.com/posts/category/transformers/page/2/

There is a ton a of great information found here.

The 'made in Macau' bit is a heading under the Ultra Magnus blog entry, those figures were also available in the US distribution. The Jetfire blog entry is separate and links to a full article where the author writes that the 1985 (MB) and 1986 (Hasbro) branded figures are the same Bandai toys. I don't think I've ever heard of Jetfire being made in Macau, although it's well known in the Transformers community that Takara was sending/sourcing TF molds all over the place for different reasons (Taiwan, Korea, Macau, China, France, Mexico, South America etc.), I don't think Bandai necessarily followed suit.

https://20thcenturytoycollector.com/posts/2012/05/12/transformers-jetfire/

16 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I’ve been playing with these toys for 35+ years and never did I realize there was a 4th transformation mode. 

C035B24D-7BAE-4612-852A-2606251C3525.jpeg.2c233b7f7422b7359b7f30d9c3096087.jpeg

My kid figured out this “roller mode” after 15 minutes of playing with them.

Nice!!!! I miss my old 1/55's. one of these days when I have more expendable funds I'm going to get some. Jetfire was my very first Valkyrie ever.

9 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Nice!!!! I miss my old 1/55's. one of these days when I have more expendable funds I'm going to get some. Jetfire was my very first Valkyrie ever.

Some of them can be found for quite reasonable prices if you search with patience. You definitely need to get some if you don’t have them anymore because they really are the best transforming toys ever made. 

20 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Some of them can be found for quite reasonable prices if you search with patience. You definitely need to get some if you don’t have them anymore because they really are the best transforming toys ever made. 

Agreed, these are a lot of fun to transform & really were built to last. One day I'd love to have a small squadron of 1A Cannon Fodders all with Fast Packs. Every so often I check with Mandarake for a good deal. B))

4 hours ago, masarujasu said:

The 'made in Macau' bit is a heading under the Ultra Magnus blog entry, those figures were also available in the US distribution. The Jetfire blog entry is separate and links to a full article where the author writes that the 1985 (MB) and 1986 (Hasbro) branded figures are the same Bandai toys. I don't think I've ever heard of Jetfire being made in Macau, although it's well known in the Transformers community that Takara was sending/sourcing TF molds all over the place for different reasons (Taiwan, Korea, Macau, China, France, Mexico, South America etc.), I don't think Bandai necessarily followed suit.

5 hours ago, masarujasu said:

It does tie in well with the release of the Hergoss Walkyrie produced by Savie in Macau.  If MB was producing Jetfire in Macau it would be easy send off or sell old molds for Savie to touch up and reuse.

22 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I’ve been playing with these toys for 35+ years and never did I realize there was a 4th transformation mode. 

C035B24D-7BAE-4612-852A-2606251C3525.jpeg.2c233b7f7422b7359b7f30d9c3096087.jpeg

My kid figured out this “roller mode” after 15 minutes of playing with them.

Is that the "Rolling Surrender" mode?:unknw::D

33 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Is that the "Rolling Surrender" mode?:unknw::D

Haha, could be. To a 5 year old kid (or anyone), imagination is king. These toys are just great however you look at it. He said, “these are the best transforming toys ever!”. Which is what I’ve always said on these forums so after 35 years and another generation, they still hold up. 

• 4 months later...

Not really any new info, but thought it was an interesting read ...found on an old hard drive

Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic: Jetfire Commercial

Date: 1/26/00 12:25 AM Pacific Standard Time

hello all...

I've been lurking in this newgroup forever; thought I would add my two-cents to this thread...

Takatoku Toys sculpted the orginal prototype for the classic 1/55 scale Macross Valkyries; these toys, among others, were released throughout the original Macross series television run.  Although the Takatoku toy lines from this series sold well and were wildly popular, Takatoku was in serious financial trouble. Once the series ended its run, Takatoku sold the molds and the rights to produce the Valkyries to the Matsushiro Company.

Matsushiro had plans to release another line of Valkyries, but it too had financial problems. In hopes to produce a quick profit, Matsushiro sold a small run of Valkyries to Hasbro.  This Valkyrie type was a basic Takatoku

VF-1 with the obvious color changes- ie, red armour, red and black paint, etc. The only design difference was the trimmed nose. Hasbro requested this change to appease their concerns that the sharp tip of the orginal design might not be safe for young children.  Stop your laughing!!  ^_^ ANywAy, I've gotten ahead of myself...

Why would Hasbro need the Jetfire line of Transformers?   The answer is,

oddly, Bandai, Co.

Hasbro was lagging behind in the transforming craze that was sweeping North America. Bandai had its dismal, but popular, Go-Bots line. This series and toys were selling quite well, though both were of low quality. Hasbro was planning to dominate the market with its upcoming Transformers lineup.

Transformers had been released in the U.S. and were selling somewhat well; Hasbro was planning a larger toy release with the syndication of the original Transformers television series. However, Hasbro was afraid that the lineup of toys did not include very many large protaganists... outside of Optimus Prime, the good guys were much smaller than those baddies, the Decepticons.  This was due, of course, to the fact that the Autobots were almost all cars, and Decepticons were mainly flight capable machines- planes, etc. ('cept a very large Megatron, hehe). The attempt to have a some sort of scale created this problem.  Hasbro quieted this concern by including the lone Autobot who was a plane, Jetfire. With the popularity and quality of the Macross toys, the resemblance to American F-16's, and its large size, Hasbro felt confident it would compete well with the Bandai lineup of toys.

At this same time, Bandai of Japan had just finished talks to develop toys for the in-development Macross film. The Valkyrie molds were once again sold to another company; this time from Matsushiro to Bandai. Bandai gave Takatokus' original design a facelift to match the DYRL? Valkyries, and sculpted a few added items: StrikeValkyrie armour, and the awesome VE-1 and SuperOstrich. The two new Valks came from the Matsushiro desgn- dull noses fit well into the frame of two ships not meant for heavy combat.

BUT! When Bandai acquired the Matsushiro mold rights, they had to honor the contracts previously made with Hasbro. The Transformers series had exploded and Hasbro needed stock... Bandai finished the agreement to make the Jetfires, although the second line had Bandai inscribed on them. This is when the majority of the standard Jetfires were made. BTW, the back stock of Matsushiros that Bandai acquired simply had a black foil sticker placed over the Matsushiro name. Some of the Matsushiros were not assembled- this is why some Matsushiros appear to be standard Bandai, with the exception of the

foil sticker. (God don't remove it... unless you want to hurt value).   The

Matsushiro was only released in the U.S., the standard Jetfire was released throughout the world.

Ugh, much too much info...

mercheant

Obforgot: Jetfire was referred to as Skyfire in the original series, and looked nothing like the Valkyrie. I know nothing of other TF series...

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I realized tonight that we are currently as far away from the Bandai 2002 Valkyrie Releases, as the 2002 Valkyrie Releases were from the original Macross airing
1982 > 2002 > 2022
Just a bit freaky
image.png.b44cc27e5652bf7e54d53228999dbb43.png

Has it really been that long ago? 

Damn I feel old!

Anyway, don't have the box anymore, but still got that Skull Leader.

Still intact and still feel solid and new.

Celebrate!

1-55-Skull-Leader-2002.jpg.4abba1608a864c5b09aaeac3ff453519.jpg

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Not really any new info, but thought it was an interesting read ...found on an old hard drive

Subject: Re: Slightly off-topic: Jetfire Commercial

Date: 1/26/00 12:25 AM Pacific Standard Time

hello all...

I've been lurking in this newgroup forever; thought I would add my two-cents to this thread...

Takatoku Toys sculpted the orginal prototype for the classic 1/55 scale Macross Valkyries; these toys, among others, were released throughout the original Macross series television run.  Although the Takatoku toy lines from this series sold well and were wildly popular, Takatoku was in serious financial trouble. Once the series ended its run, Takatoku sold the molds and the rights to produce the Valkyries to the Matsushiro Company.

Matsushiro had plans to release another line of Valkyries, but it too had financial problems. In hopes to produce a quick profit, Matsushiro sold a small run of Valkyries to Hasbro.  This Valkyrie type was a basic Takatoku

VF-1 with the obvious color changes- ie, red armour, red and black paint, etc. The only design difference was the trimmed nose. Hasbro requested this change to appease their concerns that the sharp tip of the orginal design might not be safe for young children.  Stop your laughing!!  ^_^ ANywAy, I've gotten ahead of myself...

Why would Hasbro need the Jetfire line of Transformers?   The answer is,

oddly, Bandai, Co.

Hasbro was lagging behind in the transforming craze that was sweeping North America. Bandai had its dismal, but popular, Go-Bots line. This series and toys were selling quite well, though both were of low quality. Hasbro was planning to dominate the market with its upcoming Transformers lineup.

Transformers had been released in the U.S. and were selling somewhat well; Hasbro was planning a larger toy release with the syndication of the original Transformers television series. However, Hasbro was afraid that the lineup of toys did not include very many large protaganists... outside of Optimus Prime, the good guys were much smaller than those baddies, the Decepticons.  This was due, of course, to the fact that the Autobots were almost all cars, and Decepticons were mainly flight capable machines- planes, etc. ('cept a very large Megatron, hehe). The attempt to have a some sort of scale created this problem.  Hasbro quieted this concern by including the lone Autobot who was a plane, Jetfire. With the popularity and quality of the Macross toys, the resemblance to American F-16's, and its large size, Hasbro felt confident it would compete well with the Bandai lineup of toys.

At this same time, Bandai of Japan had just finished talks to develop toys for the in-development Macross film. The Valkyrie molds were once again sold to another company; this time from Matsushiro to Bandai. Bandai gave Takatokus' original design a facelift to match the DYRL? Valkyries, and sculpted a few added items: StrikeValkyrie armour, and the awesome VE-1 and SuperOstrich. The two new Valks came from the Matsushiro desgn- dull noses fit well into the frame of two ships not meant for heavy combat.

BUT! When Bandai acquired the Matsushiro mold rights, they had to honor the contracts previously made with Hasbro. The Transformers series had exploded and Hasbro needed stock... Bandai finished the agreement to make the Jetfires, although the second line had Bandai inscribed on them. This is when the majority of the standard Jetfires were made. BTW, the back stock of Matsushiros that Bandai acquired simply had a black foil sticker placed over the Matsushiro name. Some of the Matsushiros were not assembled- this is why some Matsushiros appear to be standard Bandai, with the exception of the

foil sticker. (God don't remove it... unless you want to hurt value).   The

Matsushiro was only released in the U.S., the standard Jetfire was released throughout the world.

Ugh, much too much info...

mercheant

Obforgot: Jetfire was referred to as Skyfire in the original series, and looked nothing like the Valkyrie. I know nothing of other TF series...

Related: this just went up at tformers.com:

1723716427_MacrossRobotechVF-1SGodofFlamewithFastPackArmourImage(5)__scaled_800.jpg.93cf48a577e10f16c9f317904ac80bf1.jpg

Link:https://tformers.com/macross-robotech-vf-1s-god-of-flame-with-fast-pack-armour-from-kitzconcept/47145/news.html

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Even though it's 'Robotech', it was also posted in MacrossWorld. :good: 

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/48181-kitz-concept-toy-thread-20/?do=findComment&comment=1635852

3 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Even though it's 'Robotech', it was also posted in MacrossWorld. :good: 

https://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/topic/48181-kitz-concept-toy-thread-20/?do=findComment&comment=1635852

Hey, thanks! I tried doing a topic search on this, but my pc is acting funny. It wouldn't display the results, so I figured take a chance and just post it. O.o

Gonna have to have a discussion with my 'puter using a large mallet....

• 4 weeks later...

" I'm trying to "catalog" all of the 1/55 Skull One releases (minus the GBP) and how to identify them. I checked out AnyMoom (hence the pics) put I'm still not clear on exactly how to identify each one (especially if they're not boxed). Can you guys help.

Let's start with what I think I know (In release order). Questions about color, etc are in red."

Having myself started collecting the Macross 1/55 toys in the 80's, incl. VT-1 & VE- 1, which sadly my mother gave away since she thought I never needed them again, sometime 1990-91, I re-purchased the 7 Bandai re-releases in the early 2000's and still have them!

The colors are different for the Roy Focker versions with Super Parts against the single box variant which is a shade of gray...

Now I'm going to start collecting the DX Chogokin 1/48 which will be really expensive, but since my mother who sadly passed away about two years ago leaving me with a large inheritance, I'm going to get revenge....

IMG_5787.jpg

IMG_3672.JPG

• 1 month later...

I finally completed the article on Jetfire that I'd promised nearly a year ago. I had to quit World of Warcraft to do it! Anyway, please have a look.

http://tfscraps.blogspot.com/2022/10/the-40th-anniversary-of-valkyrie.html

Many thanks to TheLoneWolf and nightmareB4macross for their discussions here, and pointing me to the appropriate threads.

I tip my hat to you, sir! Jetfire's production history is ridiculously convoluted and further muddled by honest misinformation, but you grabbed that beast by its horns and presented all the facts in one scholarly article. The academic in me loves how you showed your sources, the Internet needs more work like this. That is an essay that will be cited countless times in the future.

Very impressive compilation of Jetfire facts. It looks like you really deep dove into the subject headfirst and didn’t come up for air útil now. Kudos for doing such a diligent and detailed job.

I do have to say there is one entry that does not seem to fit and that is the Jetfire in StrikeValkyrie box. Not to say it never existed but I have only seen  (and claimed) people use the empty box to store their Jetfire when the 1S went missing. Never came across a mint listing or specimen with that particular combo stating that was how it was bought. But then again stranger and rarer items have been found.

All in all, this is a fantastic article.

Thank you so much for your exhaustive efforts.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:16 AM, nightmareB4macross said:

Very impressive compilation of Jetfire facts. It looks like you really deep dove into the subject headfirst and didn’t come up for air útil now. Kudos for doing such a diligent and detailed job.

I do have to say there is one entry that does not seem to fit and that is the Jetfire in StrikeValkyrie box. Not to say it never existed but I have only seen  (and claimed) people use the empty box to store their Jetfire when the 1S went missing. Never came across a mint listing or specimen with that particular combo stating that was how it was bought. But then again stranger and rarer items have been found.

All in all, this is a fantastic article.

Thank you so much for your exhaustive efforts.

Thank you. It's a relief to get this brain-dump done and dusted.

Yes, agree this is a strange and contentious one. The extrapolation I made is from the other surplus Jetfires without armor. Not to be argumentative, because I respect your opinion and knowledge on the matter, I will put the references here and hopefully over time we can gather enough evidence to prove this avenue.

https://www.carousell.sg/p/vintage-collectible-complete-set-macross-1-55-vf-1s-strike-valkyrie-bandai-hi-metal-1124497437/

- Purchased in the 80s, from Yaohan in Singapore
- Made in Japan
- Favourite toy in my childhood, handled with extreme care
- All parts complete, no missing component 
- All mechanism works, even the joints have crisp "clicking" sound when moving
- Probably one of the very rare complete sets you can find now on the market
- Comes with original box and green manual

Time to let it go as I am moving house and need to clear space. Looking for fellow vintage collector who appreciates and will take good care of it.

Reasons I believe this could be legit surplus:

• Smooth box
  • Tatsunoko Pro sticker
  • Strike stickers on body and armor
  • Takatoku instructions
  • Owner claim of witnessing purchase

https://www.carousell.sg/p/macross-strike-valkyrie-1125376618/

• Smooth box
  • Tatsunoko Pro sticker looks to have been there but removed
  • Strike stickers on body and armor
  • Takatoku instructions

https://www.carousell.sg/p/vintage-toy-vf-1s-strike-valkyrie-256734215/

• Smooth box
  • Tatsunoko Pro sticker
  • Takatoku instructions
  • MIB Unused

https://www.carousell.sg/p/vintage-macross-vf-1s-strike-valkyrie-243517863/

Above two links of Strikes just to show that they seemed to be packed with the Takatoku manual.

https://www.carousell.ph/p/macross-vf-1s-strike-valkyrie-1-55-scale-150106551/

Mismatched armor referred to as early 90s by seller.

And the owner of this image below told me they had all been purchased as is: 

Yes I do have some Elints and Strikes toy boxes with the Jetfire body and armor in them.

From what I can remember when I bought these back in the day, most of the Elints and Strikes were packaged correctly but some were not which included the Jetfire body/armor in them.  I was really just buying as many as I could because I wanted more of these toys and that they were excellent designed transformable figures.  So that said, I do have some that have the Jetfire body/armor but I mostly have them correctly boxed.

robotech2.057b6db0.jpg

Edited by masarujasu

Very strange. 

The mystery continues.

I love it.

Did the owner provide locations of where these were purchased? Often the buyer recalls the location or store and that could be corroborated with other who had the same experience with these gift sets.

You’re an awesome super sleuth!

Keep it up.

4 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Very strange. 

The mystery continues.

I love it.

Did the owner provide locations of where these were purchased? Often the buyer recalls the location or store and that could be corroborated with other who had the same experience with these gift sets.

You’re an awesome super sleuth!

Keep it up.

Not explicitly, but all three of the Strike Box + Jetfire Combos have turned up in Singapore.