Mospeada is friggin' awesome!

danth

Man, I think Mospeada may beat out Macross for my favorite anime of all time. I just watched the series -- I had seen most of Robotech: The New Generation, but seeing Mospeada with the original (non-cheesy) dialogue and remastered footage made it many times better.

This confirms why I don't like new anime...old shows like Mospeada just blow everything else out of the water. Man. The characters were great, the mechas were awesome, the story was beautiful, and the dialog was natural and non-retarded. Hell, the dialog was as intelligent as any American TV show I've seen recently. That's why I love old anime. It's not insulting.

*Sigh* Now I'll have to find out how to get Love Live Alive. Any tips on that?

Man, I think Mospeada may beat out Macross for my favorite anime of all time. I just watched the series -- I had seen most of Robotech: The New Generation, but seeing Mospeada with the original (non-cheesy) dialogue and remastered footage made it many times better.

This confirms why I don't like new anime...old shows like Mospeada just blow everything else out of the water. Man. The characters were great, the mechas were awesome,  the story was beautiful, and the dialog was natural and non-retarded.  Hell, the dialog was as intelligent as any American TV show I've seen recently. That's why I love old anime. It's not insulting.

336543[/snapback]

Actually, Robotech version was good too. They didnt really change a lot from that. I hate Mint on both version though. Totally useless character. She's the freakin Jarjar of Mospeada.

Actually, Robotech version was good too.  They didnt really change a lot from that.  I hate Mint on both version though.  Totally useless character.  She's the freakin Jarjar of Mospeada.

336545[/snapback]

The Robotech version is good, but I like the original better, mainly because the dialog is better. As for Mint, I thought she was pretty adorable in the original version. Her character added a lot of humor. The part where

her boob came out when she was talking to McGruder

was hilarious...mostly because it was so shocking.

Edited by danth

All the chicks in the bath house was nice fan service too :) A link to download Love Live Alive was once available in another thread here... that's how I got it. No subtitles though :( I also thought Mint was much better in MOSPEADA than Annie in RT: TNG... still, she is pretty annoying at times. Rey/Rand still one of my favorite anime characters ever.

This confirms why I don't like new anime...old shows like Mospeada just blow everything else out of the water. Man. The characters were great, the mechas were awesome,  the story was beautiful, and the dialog was natural and non-retarded.  Hell, the dialog was as intelligent as any American TV show I've seen recently. That's why I love old anime. It's not insulting.

336543[/snapback]

Actually, Robotech version was good too. They didnt really change a lot from that. I hate Mint on both version though. Totally useless character. She's the freakin Jarjar of Mospeada.

336545[/snapback]

Useless, just like you in life, huh Exoidiot. :rolleyes::lol:

Useless, just like you in life, huh Exoidiot.  :rolleyes:  :lol:

336568[/snapback]

Still trying out that Exoidiot thing? :lol:

I'm telling you, it's not as catchy as MGchildbeater and MCOCK or MTROLL :lol:

One of these days, you're gonna actually say something good but then your whole world will implode.

:blink: Anyways, I love Mospeada. It's my favorite anime, I enjoyed the Robotech version back in the olden days, but the original Japanese version is far superior.

I like Mint too, she has her moments. Everyone seems to like the mecha and all, (I do too) but for me I love the cast, a really unique group of main characters. The guest characters are cool too, Major Johnathan ( :) ), Rainy Boy, the 'ol geezers etc.

The story stands up quite well too, pretty sophisticated plots for a 'kids' show. I think the Invid make one of the coolest alien enemy ever dreamed up.

Even for me in 80`s as the R.T. version it was my favorite anime of all time, even better than macross saga with all the reasons mentioned before in thread. Plus I preferred the Legioss/Alpha over the VF-1 back then but never collected a Mospeada toy, just kits :( and made them out of Lego. As for my favorite character : Stig.

Love Mospeada, but the only thing I really think Robotech did better was to have only one voice for Yellow. I mean, for the songs, I don't care, two is fine. What bothered me was when they'd have him talking (or even thinking) to himself with his woman's voice. I mean, is he suffering from multiple personality disorders or something?

Other than that, it's all good.

Import the R2 vol 6, It's got both LLA, and some production art that's not on the R1 release.

336547[/snapback]

Yeah, not that easy when they're out of print.

Recently I've really wanted to get into this show too. But in the total of two and a half or 3 years that I have been in Japan I have not ONCE seen this on video nor DVD. Dammit.

And I'm from the UK where you can't get Robotech anyway, only up to the Paradise Lost episode of Macross, after which Kiseki just gave up.

Should've recorded it when it waas on the sci-fi channel.

I agree 100% with the old-school anime crowd though, I've just seen Orguss and Megazone 23 and they are by far more entertaining than anything else on TV right now. I saw the last episode of Aquarion and I just groaned. Meanwhile, the Orguss finale gave me a lump in my throat.

Old school banzai! :lol:

I'll admit, I like all the Robotech music better than the Macross, Southern Cross, or Mospeada music (with the exception of the Minmei/Minmay songs). I absolutely love the Robotech BGM and theme. Mospeada's music was still decent, though.

I think Mospeada wasn't a big hit in Japan because it was too good -- the lil kids just couldn't absorb all the coolness.

Renato, rightstuf.com has the Mospeada box set for 25.99 right now (It doesn't include Love, Live, Alive though). I don't know if they ship internationally, but I'd ship it to you if you want it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, England is in a different DVD region...whoops.

Cyclone, your LLA picture page isn't working -- none of the pictures load.

Oh yeah, MGREXX, get the hell out of my thread!

Edited by danth

I think the Invid make one of the coolest alien enemy ever dreamed up.

336592[/snapback]

Oh yeah, the Inbit rocked! I actually think they were pretty hilarious -- they do great physical comedy. I laughed when I first saw the scout Inbit (Eager) point at something. It was just so funny how he did it, and the timing cracked me up. Also, when the Refles asked a Grab if he wanted to evolve, and the Grab just kind of shrugged nervously like "Er, wha-- me? Uh..."

Top five reasons Mospeada is better than Macross:

5) The animation doesn't suck in every other episode (thanks to Anime Friend, who curiously enough did production on Mospeada)

4) Mospeada has TWO kick-ass transforming fighter jets

3) Ray

2) The bath scene

1) TRANSFORMING MOTORCYCLES!

Edited by danth

I wouldn't argue that MOSPEADA is better than Macross. I love 'em both for different reasons. MOSPEADA would have gotten higher marks in my book if the episodes carried into each other a bit more rather than being so serialized. Macross feels less disjointed and flows a bit more like a soap opera (horrible analogy but I hope you get the jist). They're my two favorites easily. The comment about Lancer having one voice actor in RT I fully support as well. It was a little too dramatic of a change in MOSPEADA.

I also prefer how Ariel as a malfunctioning spy in RT rather than Aisha's being needlessly bumbled in MOSPEADA. Of all the other nuances I usually prefer the original. Again, Lancer having one voice actor is a big plus to me. There's also a feeling in MOSPEADA that everyone knows Aisha is an alien and they're just kinda in moderate denial (although Stig is in a bit more serious denial). RT's characters are in an even greater state of denail/naivette and it's a little more shocking of a revelation. I think both versions work.

And I'm from the UK where you can't get Robotech anyway, only up to the Paradise Lost episode of Macross, after which Kiseki just gave up.

336625[/snapback]

Have I got news for you!

Robotech IS being released in the UK, first volume was released end of September!

Of course it's Remastered...

and it's being released by Manga UK...

don't hit...

Love, Live, Alive was available on imacrossvii if I remember correctly, but I can't get into the site anymore. Glad I got it when I did.

MOSPEADA is awesome, I liked New Gen., but MOSPEADA blows it away.

I hated Dusty Ayres in RT, but Rainy Boy is much better done, that whole episode is screwed in RT.

Mospeda did have great OP music, but overall it was pretty lacking. I mean, the story WAS a little flat... they would just drive around from town to town, cause some trouble, help some people, and then move on. Super formulaic.

It was like Highway to Heaven with mecha motorcycles instead of Michael Landon. Like Bill Bixby without the Gamma-radiation.

But about it being too cool... well in some ways you might think it has a scent of Tarentino to it, but I'd chalk that up more to old-west references. A spaghetti western with "Stig" (what an assanine name) instead of Eastwood. Instead of John Wayne, we get "Jim".

Don't get me wrong; for 1983 it was a fantastic show. There have NEVER been all that many stories done where humans have already lost[/] and then try to take it back. It's a lot like your typical rebels trying to take back their country, trying to coax people with a defeated spirit into fighting again, but... with mecha motorcycles.

Oh, and did I mention the animation was absolutely awful? Macross was drawn sooooo much better.

I'll say this - the Jack McKinnely novels did a much better job telling the story they were trying to tell than the anime did. Being out there, on the road, on the run, it's all too personal. People's feelings and emotions, their reasons and motivations couldn't be explained very well in the anime medium, especially with their low budget and crappy animation.

LOL, you said that Macross' animation was soooo much better. oh man, i think you're serious too. Should we go through both series and pick out scenes where the animation is absolutely horrible because both have plenty of examples. To say that Macross' animation was soo much better seems downright silly to me. It's like saying "My 2 year old's drawing is sooooo much better than your 2 year old's drawing."

Come to think of it though, more examples in Macross spring to mind. Remember when you'd be watching Max, then it'd be Ben, then it'd be Max again in a battle? Remember how the Glaug's arms would spin in circles? Remember that AWESOME scaling affect of the shuttles and SDF-1 approaching and leaving Earth?