Macross Anime DVDs

SpacyAce2012

A few quick questions here.

I am interested in purchasing Japanese DVDs of the Macross series/movies not yet(and may never be) released in the U.S. in subtitled or dubbed format.And I AM NOT talking about bootleg copies,either.

Is this legal? If so,does anyone know of any reputable importers of Japanese language only Macross DVDs?

There was one site I checked out,DiscountAnimeDVD.com . But the prices seem to be TOO reasonable for Japanese language-only imports.

And what would I have to do to get them to play on my DVD/VHS combo player without butchering up this expensive piece of equipment?

I am interested in purchasing Japanese DVDs of the Macross series/movies not yet(and may never be) released in the U.S. in subtitled or dubbed format.And I AM NOT talking about bootleg copies,either.

Is this legal? If so,does anyone know of any reputable importers of Japanese language only Macross DVDs?

There was one site I checked out,DiscountAnimeDVD.com . But the prices seem to be TOO reasonable for Japanese language-only imports.

And what would I have to do to get them to play on my DVD/VHS combo player without butchering up this expensive piece of equipment?

336403[/snapback]

You could buy the Harmony Gold reissue of animeigo-s dvd set. For around 150 including shipping. Go to http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93. Its exactly the same dvd's of the animeigo set which is currently the best restoration of the anime. The only thing thats different is the box that contains the dvds. This is cheaper than buying the out of production original dvd set. And yes it'll play on u.s dvd players.

I dont know if im allowed to advertise the robotech website on here. So i apologize if ive broken any forum rules. I cant seem to find a page that lists the forum rules so yeah. Sorry!

Oh and dont buy from that site, Or any dvd sets that seem too low.I checked it out fro you. Their chinese bootleg and the subtitles are horrible. The only one worth getting are the ones by animeigo. Hope that was helpful. Bye!

Edited by anim3vboi

You can also buy the series Macross Plus as well as Macross II here in the US subtitled as well. As for Macross 7 and its offspring as well as Macross Zero, it will probably be a cold day in hell before they make their way over here. And if you are looking for a Japanese DVD that has English subtitles, then I wish you good luck. While there are a few, the vast majority of anime titles officially released in Japan do not include English subtitles.

Thanks for the info,Keith. I checked out the site and them seem legit. And they will ship to the good ol' U.S.of A.

I have to check with the U.S. Customs Service to see what kind of fees I might have to pay,since the site mentioned that some countries will charge you such.

And now for my second question. What do I have to do to be able to PLAY the things? The Japanese DVDs are "Region Two". The United States is not included in this "Region Two." So any advice,anyone?

P.S.: Sorry to sound like a damn newbie. But this is going to be my first shot at ordering foreign media material from overseas.

And now for my second question. What do I have to do to be able to PLAY the things? The Japanese DVDs are "Region Two". The United States is not included in this "Region Two." So any advice,anyone?

Get a multi-region player, get an R2 player, or find an exploit in your existing player/PC DVD-ROM.

P.S.: Sorry to sound like a damn newbie. But this is going to be my first shot at ordering foreign media material from overseas.

I'm sure no one minds.

The site is very legit, they only deal in licensed Japanese items. I've never had any problems with custom's charges, but then I haven't ordered anything in a year (last thing I got was the Gunbuster box set, which was freakin' awesome!), or maybe it was Lost Highway, which would have been this year....six months at least, but no custom's charges.

Go over to www.animeondvd.com, check out the hardware section in the forums, and they'll be able to help you get set up with a region 2 compatible DVD player, or an exploit for your already existing player, or another site that will help you, etc. Worse comes to worse, you'll have to head over to cosco & pick up some $30 player (they would also be able to tell you which model), and that'll fix your problems.

Is this legal?

Of course it's legal. It's legally licensed, and has no content that contravenes any other laws of the United States. Depending on who you go through, import and shipping fees may be a killer. I suggest going through a Japanese bookstore that has branches in the US (if you live in an area with a sizable Japanese expat population) such as Kinokuniya or Asahiya. They can special order them for you.

336403[/snapback]

I have a complete set of Macross 7 Region 2 DVDs in perfect condition. I have been considering selling them, but have not decided yet.

Currently, I am hoping to back them up with English Subtitles first before deciding to sell/trade them off. Either way this won't be for a couple of months. I can give you more details if you are interested.

Either way all of the Region 2 DVD's that I have: Macross 7, DYRL and Flashback are very good quality both in video, the disc itself, and packaging. Only downfall of Region 2's are price and lack of subtitles (which you have stated does not matter to you).

Sidenote: Region 1 Animeigo SDF Macross Set did have an extensive restoration where the Region 2 counterpart DVDs did not. Many consider it to be of better quality, One of the few cases that a Macross region 1 appears better than a region 2.

I've just been looking around on valkyrie exchange. Initially, I was going to get a copy of DYRL about It looks like it's sold out for a bit. I only have the bootleg right now. Anyways now I'm thinking about getting that FX complete M7 set. Has anyone had experience with this set? I'm mostly concerned with the quality of the subtitles. Also I have another question. Should I buy Flashback before I die or not? Thanks.

I've just been looking around on valkyrie exchange. Initially, I was going to get a copy of DYRL about It looks like it's sold out for a bit. I only have the bootleg right now. Anyways now I'm thinking about getting that FX complete M7 set. Has anyone had experience with this set? I'm mostly concerned with the quality of the subtitles. Also I have another question. Should I buy Flashback before I die or not? Thanks.

336939[/snapback]

I bought M7 off of eBay. Not sure if its the FX or not. But whatever one I have had some of the worst excuse for subtitles I've ever had the misfortune of "reading." I'll check tomorrow and tell you.

The FX set is great for video quality, audio quality, complete content (all of 7 from episode 1, through Dynamite), it has all of the little extra's from the Japanese DVD's, and is a great set. the subtitles however are another story. Unfortunately they're not the greatest, but all of the "important" episodes have very good subtitles. Most of what is mis-translated in the other episodes is usualy something that's spoken in suedo english anyway, and you'll pick it up from the spoken dialogue (things such as "transformation" being subtitled as "re-arrange array.").

Most of what is mis-translated in the other episodes is usualy something that's spoken in suedo english anyway, and you'll pick it up from the spoken dialogue (things such as "transformation" being subtitled as "re-arrange array.").

HAHAHA!

It's always funniest when they mistranslate the parts that aren't even being translated.

Does a better set exist? I assume not.

337056[/snapback]

Actually, I think the MI/AC set is supposed to have better subtitles, the only downside there being it doesn't have "any" of the extra's that the FX set has.

The Macross 7 set that I have is by Manga International. Yeah, don't get it. Its like someone just took their vhs copies and put them on dvd. The subtitles are terrible. They sometimes don't match up to who is talking and are, well, really really bad.

Does anyone know if valk exchange is getting more DYRL Perfect dvds in? I emailed them like a week ago. After looking it over I became utterly disgusted with my bootleg.

337632[/snapback]

The company that produced it went under a year or so ago, so none of their original stock is currently available. Though they have popped up under a new name, and supposedly will re-release all of their popular titles, none have been announced as of yet. To add more strangeness, some of their titles that are currently around have popped up as DVD-R's with printed picture disc labels....