Anime Club At School

Ishimaru

Yah my older brother is in to Macross but only Macross II and Plus and got no taste for original Macross or anything...I cant believe my friend said I had bad taste of anime when I showed her DYRL, when I asked my other friends if they knew about Macross they said yes did they see it no, I asked if they ever wanted to watch it they said no. No one is intrested in it these days only blah blah Bleach, Hellsing, and Naruto. Nothing else at least execpt for Advent Children. I want to show them Macross Plus and show them what real animation is, but they dont get the story...Anyways heres the post I put on the forums of the Anime club:

http://gawhsanimeclub.proboards49.com/inde...read=1129163303

Ugh I feel lonely to have taste of old anime at my school Im like the only person that has intrest in anime that rules, some other animes I like are Patlabor, Megaman(Hey its still good) , Wing Gundam, and others I know but cant remember. Oh and my friend at school was like your not Jenuis(as in smart etc) and was like what kind of name is that?

OMG I got mad who does not know Max Jenius and where the hell you get Genius from??!!(a moment of silence)

I just feel bad for these kids, I love old anime and their will hardly be a chance for me to like a new one. You guys should know at school I see seniors still playing Yu-Gi-Man, they get pissed at me when I ask why they play it. (the friend that I showed DYRL and said I had bad taste posted)

Edited by Dean

Can't see what you wrote, it says you have to login to read posts there. I don't want to register on another forum. :):p:lol:

Don't feel bad for the stupid, laugh at them! :p

Seriously though, you're waisting your time trying to show them quality things if they're blind to quality. Be happy you're not a mindless pack-whore. ;)

Hahah somedumbguy that brings back memories.

You know, I really cringed in final fantasy 7 when they force you to dress up as a chic and you almost get raped by a bunch of fags in the game. :D

Damn you squaresoft. That wasn't funny, WTF is wrong with you!!? You raped my childhood. Well ok I was an innocent little 3 yr old, but you get the point - stop making sissy skinny pretty boys take the role of the tough warrior and then make them dress up in drag to attract the female audience. His normal leather BDSM outfit is bad enough. But throughout the whole game who didn't feel like they were actually controlling a gay character who has no interest in the girls in the game and doesn't once act like he gives a crap about them?

And then when Aeris died....nothing. I didn't shed a tear. Wasn't dramatic at all. No emotional depth to the characters in the game at all. Just emotionless, expressionless, robot puppets. At least in macross the love triangle was complex. You actually gave a crap about the characters and felt sympathetic.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

And then when Aeris died....nothing. I didn't shed a tear. Wasn't dramatic at all. No emotional depth to the characters in the game at all. Just emotionless, expressionless, robot puppets.

Too true.

If you want to cry, get Lunar 2. First ending's a real tear-jerker. And no one even dies.

One of the few games to squeeze tears out of me. LUCIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

First time I beat it, I just sat there for a few minutes staring at the big "THE END" on the screen. "Nuh-uh! They wouldn't do that! That's not how it's supposed to go! When are they gonna come back and fix it? Hello? Is this thing on? That can't REALLY be the end? Can it?"

The SegaCD version even created the epilogue save file int eh background, so I didn't know about it until I started a new file to "fix" things, and then went to reload the new game I'd started and saw epilogue listed on the load screen.

Edited by JB0

I do not want to steal this thread of anime in schools, however on the topic of enjoying classic anime:

Anyone here familar with the Patlabor series? Especially the two movies?

I swear perhaps only 5% of kids (age 12-16) will enjoy Patlabor 2; the rest will say its the most boring film in the world. why?

Patlabor 2, hereinafter referred to as “P2â€, has probably one of the lowest frame movements for an anime that I have seen, however, in my opinion, it is my favorite anime movie that I have ever had the joy of watching.

For those of you who haven’t seen it, here’s a quick synopsis:

Back of the box spin: In the near future, advanced robots called "LABORS" are used for civil and military operations. In order to combat criminals who might misuse this new technology, the Tokyo Police Department's Special Vehicle Division (SVD) is equipped with Patrol Labors, or Patlabors to combat urban crime. The date is 2002, three years after the events of Patlabor 1. The destruction of a United Nations Labor team in Southeast Asia signals the beginning of a deadly terrorist plan that threatens to send shockwaves throughout Japan's military. With evidence of an impending military takeover, the scattered members of the original SVD must gather to defend the city against danger. To make matters worse, the mastermind behind the operation is none other than Nagumo's former teacher and ex-lover Tsuge. Can Nagumo stay true to her oath to uphold the law in the face of Tsuge's destructive plan for revenge? The countdown to armed revolution and panic on the streets of Tokyo begins now!

Notice how the synopsis makes it a perfect ground for an action movie? However it turns it into a political/military thriller.

Too many anime fans now want ACTION and big explosions and the like. I'm also somewhat guilty of that myself as I tend to get bored with Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig and their talk about life and meaning etc. Now it’s whom ever has the biggest guns and most “awesome†technology that will produce the winner, and therefore a catchy series for young ones to watch.

Back to P2, I find that you need to have a certain taste and perspective when watching Oshii's films. Also most North American audiences will not understand why after some philosophical statement is said in the film, the anime frame will freeze there for some time, perhaps 3-5 seconds. Why? I personally think it’s Oshii’s way of telling us to seize the moment of what’s happening on screen. It’s a very poetic gesture for the director to allow the audience a few moments to let what was said on screen sink in.

Indeed, P2 is filled with 90% talk and 10% action, however, it’s the dialogue that is more than suffices for the body of the film. Most military thriller films of today base their body on the actually happenings at the moment, not what the events were the led up to it – hence what you call an “action movieâ€. However P2 takes a very Tom Clancy approach and tells what happened before and allows the audience to predict how the variables will effect the outcome. P2 is also a movie where you will not understand every thing in one viewing. There are so many subtle hints of information in the talk that make the movie so interesting. It’s a movie where it puts action at the backseat and makes the audience think, “what’s he trying to say?â€. I watched this film at least 6 times already and have discovered new things every time I see it.

Another thing is that it uses what I call the Traditional Hand Drawn Method – THDM in short. Very, very few things were done with computers back in 1992, which what makes seeing this movie so enjoyable. It’s touched mainly only with the hands of people and seeing what they can “animate†using traditional methods gains great respect in my books.

Seeing the opening sequence of the war in SE Asia reminds me why I love mid 80’s to early 90’s animation.

I highly recommend this to military fans who want something more subdued and not “in your face†but prefer to think things out.

Check it.

Patlabor the Movie number 1 and also number 3 are in the same boat as P2.

I love 1 and 2 but 3 just went off the deep end on my goofy-crap-o-meter for me to fully enjoy it. I always call the Patlabor movies "thinking man's action". Like the original Law & Order TV show that I love so much the Pat movies are all drama... it's the "trill of the hunt" and not the kill that makes those guys so enjoyable.

But you have to have more than two brain cells to rub together and an attention span longer than most people to enjoy those movies. They have a long lead up but their payoffs are pure gold.

Its a generational thing Dean, Macross is older than you, of course none of your friends are into it... My Grandfathers generation thinks I am nuts because I don't like John Wayne. It was just a different time.

P1 is my favorite.

P2 I can't remember, but I remember really liking it (it's been years since I've seen it).

P3 sucked, it felt too empty and lifeless. I did love the mini-pato skits though! :)

The anime club at my high school got sunk after the local anime store pulled their support (because all the tasteless drooling masses there watched was Dragon Ball Z), and they tried to watch GITS movie 1, and they got in trouble for nipples at school.

Join the self-hating anime fan club! :) You can point at the tasteless masses and mock them from your superior ground, because they like crap... Because if you do it outside of the self-hating anime club, we'll have to hunt you down and pee on the walls of your home. :p:lol:

Meh, it seems many aren't "thinking" types anymore. Just run and gun - trigger happy types. I've not seen P3 yet, but the reviews were giving it a pretty bad rep.

I still and forever wil listen to Classical music, no matter what generation. Stuff that is 200+ years old still remain great to my ears.

Also, on the other side of the fence, I throughly enjoy Bleach right now (up to the 1 hour special episodes 52-53), same with Full Metal Panic TSR (Episode 11). Sure they're very cliched and action based with little time devoted for deep meaning. It's usually who ever can go "ARRRRRRRRRHHH I WILL KILL YOU" that makes up most of the dialogue, but sometimes I like simple things, give my brain a break once in a while.

You guys should know at school I see seniors still playing Yu-Gi-Oh!, they get pissed at me when I ask why they play it.

336730[/snapback]

I know EXACTLY how you feel in this department. One of my best friends played yuGAY-OH! right up through high school. He STILL plays YuGAY-Oh! to this very day and just so you know he's 23(I'm 22 BTW), and we graduated high school back in '02. Sad eh? :p As for your predicament, you need to tell these "anime fans" if they want to experience anime at its best, they need to look back at the classics. If you can, show em some Macross Zero first to warm em up. Then work your way down with M+, M2 and finally down to DYRL. If all else fails show some gundam or more mecha based anime if ya can.

On a final note, my yugay-oh dueling cronnie was atleast open minded about what I showed him. But then again, he thought Macross Plus was just like Gundam Wing. :huh: Can he be helped?

Edited by Flaming Guantlet

M-Zero is a decent place to start, since they don't involve the Zentradei forces just yet, and plus using very well done CG for it may catch their eye. However I really care less about the characters. They all seem flat and sterotypical - and Focker just doesn't seem as up beat as in the original series.

Anyways how I started out was

1 - M-Zero

2 - M-Plus - Episode Version

3 - Macross II

5 - Macross DYRL

4 - Macross series

I somehow watched it in that order, even though its quite off the proper chronological time line. I swear if you show them 7, they'll immediately never look at any other Macross Title again. I've only seen a few, but then, killing enemies with the SOUND OF LOVE, just isn't my bag.

BTW, Yu-Gi-Oh at 23? oh dear oh dear. <_<

Patlabor the movies are very different from the series and OAVs though. While those have their fair share of political thriller/drama, they are mostly action or hilarious comedy and I loved it.

Patlabor the TV and OAV series(s) are my favorite anime of all time.

Patlabor the movies are very different from the series and OAVs though. While those have their fair share of political thriller/drama, they are mostly action or hilarious comedy and I loved it.

Well Episode 6 and 7 - SV2's Longest Day part 1 and 2 respectively were the substance for making the 2nd movie. The 47 Episode TV series was a sure hit as well. It still had a hint of mystery but also packed with action and comedy. I've never seen the whole series though, only a few episodes here and there.

I can't remember much of the Griffon vs Alphonse fight, but some of it was very good.

I do not want to steal this thread of anime in schools, however on the topic of enjoying classic anime:

Anyone here familar with the Patlabor series? Especially the two movies?

I swear perhaps only 5% of kids  (age 12-16) will enjoy Patlabor 2; the rest will say its the most boring film in the world. why?

336903[/snapback]

Yeah I like 1 and 2. The story really gripped me, but there could have been a touch more action. There is no way a 12year old kid will appreciate somehting like that. Jin Roh was good too. I have yet to see Wasted Thirteen.

M-Zero is a decent place to start, since they don't involve the Zentradei forces just yet, and plus using very well done CG for it may catch their eye.  However I really care less about the characters.  They all seem flat and sterotypical - and Focker just doesn't seem as up beat as in the original series. 

Anyways how I started out was

1 - M-Zero

2 - M-Plus - Episode Version

3 - Macross II

5 - Macross DYRL

4 - Macross series

I somehow watched it in that order, even though its quite off the proper chronological time line.  I swear if you show them 7, they'll immediately never look at any other Macross Title again.  I've only seen a few, but then, killing enemies with the SOUND OF LOVE, just isn't my bag. 

BTW, Yu-Gi-Oh at 23?  oh dear oh dear.  <_<

336933[/snapback]

Who the hell likes Yu-Gi-Oh at that age. <_< But then again, I know a certain 21 yo that like Beyblade and Crush Gear.

EWWW! HE LIKES GUNDAM WING!!!! UNCLEAN!!!!!

:)

336780[/snapback]

Hey hey so what everybody likes something corny JBO, I bet you still hug teddy bears.

Hahah somedumbguy that brings back memories.

You know, I really cringed in final fantasy 7 when they force you to dress up as a chic and you almost get raped by a bunch of fags in the game. :D

Damn you squaresoft. That wasn't funny, WTF is wrong with you!!?  You raped my childhood. Well ok I was an innocent little 3 yr old, but you get the point - stop making sissy skinny pretty boys take the role of the tough warrior and then make them dress up in drag to attract the female audience. His normal leather BDSM outfit is bad enough. But throughout the whole game who didn't feel like they were actually controlling a gay character who has no interest in the girls in the game and doesn't once act like he gives a crap about them?

And then when Aeris died....nothing. I didn't shed a tear. Wasn't dramatic at all. No emotional depth to the characters in the game at all. Just emotionless, expressionless, robot puppets. At least in macross the love triangle was complex. You actually gave a crap about the characters and felt sympathetic.

336827[/snapback]

I had alot of emotion for Aries in FFVII why did she have to die *tear* :( . In advent children those tears got worse for me :( , and was left with so many questions about her...How did she appear at the end of the movie with Zack, where did the water come from? How was it under Aries' flowers, I feel strong connections but no answers....

Anyways what can I do to attract the Anime Club at school to watch Macross nothing seems to work for me, I feel hopeless that they still watch Bleach, Naruto, Hellsing, and etc. I still got the old Ingram Patlabor MG I accidently got from HLJ for free cause of late shipping, I built the kit successfuly but lost the medal, messed up the pilot, extending arm wouldnt go, lost the gun, and yah I did a pretty much bad job on it it was cheap for a MG $26 shipped if I remember correctly. And OMG why do they still play damm Yu-Gi-Man <_< , they are wasting thier money on peices of paper :huh: ....

Edited by Dean

EWWW! HE LIKES GUNDAM WING!!!! UNCLEAN!!!!!

:)

336780[/snapback]

Hey hey so what everybody likes something corny JBO, I bet you still hug teddy bears.

A. Someone can't take a joke.

B. Nope. No teddy bears. But I AM one of the Mac7 Defenders.

I had alot of emotion for Aries in FFVII why did she have to die *tear* :( .

Oh, c'mon! That was the single worst death sequence I've seen in ANYTHING.

In advent children those tears got worse for me  :( , and was left with so many questions about her...How did she appear at the end of the movie with Zack, where did the water come from? How was it under Aries' flowers, I feel strong connections but no answers....

FF7 = plotholes. Live with it.

Anyways what can I do to attract the Anime Club at school to watch Macross nothing seems to work for me, I feel hopeless that they still watch Bleach, Naruto, Hellsing, and etc.

Drug them? Then tie them to a chair so they can't move? Have some trenchcoat mafia style kids with sniper rifles threaten to shoot if they fall asleep?

Just joking. Maybe when they get older and look for classic stuff they will stumble upon macross themselves and discover it that way when they are ready? Maybe they just haven't had a chance to refine thier tastes enough? As you get older you tend to have a view that everything was better in the past when you compare todays stuff with only the best stuff from the past, rather than crap from the past.

Personally I wish they would remake macross (how the story was originally supposed to be before it got cut - just show every event but in much greater detail. I alwas wanted to know what happened to misa and minmay and hikaru and the megaroad) and give it the macross zero treatment, or maybe do it like Appleseed CG. That comic is old but the flashy matrix-ified animation with slow motion action sequences would be perfect for many mech battles I can imagine. But don't just have one or two onscreen, have stuff flying all over the place and at high speed in, around and through buildings and stuff. You got to make it exciting like a lethal weapon movie with all kinds of crazy stunts and poo.

Have the robot mode look like it can move really quick like its power was more than enough to push its own weight around with ease. Show a lot of alternate mode fight sequences. In the cartoon if those bipedal regult could hop like grasshoppers across the terrain they should make the humanoid robots move with a grace and speed.

The flow of movement of both the camera and vehicles would be akin to the stuff you see in clone wars cartoon - subtle movement is very important to give the sense of energy, that the machines are alive. That sense of speed you felt when you saw macross zero combined with the more cartoonish look of appleseed with the physics and sweeping camera angles of macross plus would work. I don't think I could ever get sick of the missile swarms in macross, that is the classic thing I remember. It's too bad the franchise is dying as it ages.

I think if they don't make an alternate universe like gundam it will just wither away and die.. :( sorry to be so pessimistic hehe.

Oh well there is always the new robotech and the appearance of rick hunter as an aged hikaru. :D It will be good to see hikaru flying in a legioss. I think the reason people watched the shows was because the transformations of these robots were cool and everyone wanted a toy of this mecha. I would only have been a kid so the story would have been secondary to me. (I'm not as old as some of the other board members here)

If you want to cry, get Lunar 2. First ending's a real tear-jerker. And no one even dies.

336832[/snapback]

Lunar! My favorite video game series of all time.

As for a tear-jerker, try Lufia (SNES). If Lunar 2 made you cry, Lufia will have you sobbing like a girl.

336832[/snapback]

Lunar! My favorite video game series of all time.

As for a tear-jerker, try Lufia (SNES). If Lunar 2 made you cry, Lufia will have you sobbing like a girl.

337090[/snapback]

I'll have to give it a try some time.

Current tastes are towards action games, though. So it's falling behind Tales and tri-Ace games.

The Lunar series sticks out partially because it was my first RPG with any sort of personality, as well as the first RPG I recognized as such.

Of course, by the time I'd gotten a chance to run through Lunar 2, I'd cleared a few of the big-name SNES RPGs. And they'd had their moments, but not as much impact. Game Arts is pretty good at writing characters, and it really helps.

Oh well there is always the new robotech and the appearance of rick hunter as an aged hikaru. :D It will be good to see hikaru flying in a legioss. I think the reason people watched the shows was because the transformations of these robots were cool and everyone wanted a toy of this mecha. I would only have been a kid so the story would have been secondary to me. (I'm not as old as some of the other board members here)

337079[/snapback]

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Aged Rick Hunter does not equal aged Hikaru. Aged Rick Hunter = Robotech II The Sentinels = puddle of diarhea with bits of corn floating around :ph34r: I already saw the pictuer of the pink man with doll hips. All our gayness are belong to them, indeed! :lol:

Maybe with time, a few out of the group of lemmings will learn and evolve. They'll develop taste from experience. They'll have seen a bunch of crap, with hopefully some good titles, then they'll go back and look for older titles that are still talked about.

Heh, you should show your anime club Otaku no Video, and if you haven't seen it, you should. And for god's sake (or whatever you do or don't believe in), DO NOT CALL YOURSELF AN OTAKU, unless you really are a creepy, hideous, fat, oily, greasy, slobbering, unhealthily obsessive freak of nature.

There is the big thing in the west for devoted fans to dub themselves otaku, but the standard Japanese loath and fear the otaku for a reason. It has very bad connotations in Japanese, and after having met, real living ones in Japan, I can contest that I NEVER want to meet one ever again. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Heh, you should show your anime club Otaku no Video, and if you haven't seen it, you should.  And for god's sake (or whatever you do or don't believe in), DO NOT CALL YOURSELF AN OTAKU, unless you really are a creepy, hideous, fat, oily, greasy, slobbering, unhealthily obsessive freak of nature. 

There is the big thing in the west for devoted fans to dub themselves otaku, but the standard Japanese loath and fear the otaku for a reason.  It has very bad connotations in Japanese, and after having met, real living ones in Japan, I can contest that I NEVER want to meet one ever again. :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

337130[/snapback]

Looks like someone should check out Densha Otoko. Also, a little blurb is found here,

haha I kid. What is the story about the pink face anyway? Did he catch a disease from some alien planet while away from earth?

I bet the human race is so mixed that all kinds of strange sexually transmitted diseases have cropped up in the future.

Humans in all of the robotech stories have mated or had romantic relationship with so many aliens.

1. macross: milia and max.

2. southern cross: bowie grant wanting to bang those musical aliens

3. NG: scott with marlene who is invid

Three different alien races mixed with human race. I see this to be dangerous. Imagine if aids spread to all the different alien species across the galaxy?

Three different alien races mixed with human race. I see this to be dangerous. Imagine if aids spread to all the different alien species across the galaxy?

337205[/snapback]

Intergalactic bird flu will finish them off, especially those that caught aids. :p

Ok back to topic though, they are having a bring your own anime day soon. I was thinking of bringing Macross Plus since it has real nice animation and they would appreciate it alot. But I dunno what would happen if they went like :huh: and <_< that what? I would be like kicked out or something I dunno..But since Macross Plus is too long for a meeting I was thinking of showing on a outisde meeting I just hope they like it :( . (Oh we watched Foolie Cooli today)

If it's being shown at a high school, M+ the OVA is safe. Don't take Ninja Scroll, too many boobies, and too much gore. :p New Dominion Tank Police is fun, but too much cursing if it's the dub (haven't seen it subbed). Orguss 02 isn't to everyone's tastes, but I think it's a great story.

Yeah go the M+ route. If they don't like it... Screw them, you're better off waiting until college and searching out people more like you.

Heh, you should show them Goldenboy. :lol:

Don't worry about them kicking you out of the anime club. They watch crap anyway right?

Screw them, you're better off waiting until college and searching out people more like you.

337886[/snapback]

True that

Even in my piss poor club I found three or four people who could appreciate more than just this week's episode of whatever trendy pap happened to be in style.

just wait untill then. Oh and if you do get thrown out of the club if they hate M+ it doesn't sound like it would be a big loss for you given the people in there so don't worry about it.

Edited by Father Jack