TV Ghost - 1/72 model kit

honneamise

Another quick note.... I believe that the Ghost's landing gear are completely down in the Studio Nue sketch. I think this is so because the arresting hooks would probably not be down unless it was landing and if it is landing at that height off the ground (see shadow) the gear would be fully-extended. That's what I think anyways.

Can't wait to hear more on the project.

-nanashino

www.macrossmecha.info

Wow thanks Nanashino for providing more info on this subject, seems from the airshow picture it can be taken for granted that the QF-3000 was intended to be much smaller than a VF-1!

I had just redrawn the plan and made the plane look more elegant with a lower profile, now I will have to re-scale it one more time. Good I hadn´t started with the actual model as it might have turned out being in 1/48 or even bigger! Guess I still need to get used to the smaller size...but it makes sense.

As for the landing gear, I had ignored the arresting hook - it´s down so it looks like it IS ready to land with gear in the position shown. But I can only make out ONE sketch with gear down in the link Nanashino provided, Chad you mention two different stages right/left, which picture are you referring to?

I think G72 was referring to that one pic. The RHS landing gear is fully down with a somewhat vertical leg, while the nose and LHS gear seem to be only partially deployed.

Personally I think it's just a sque-if drawing. Whilst I don't like the half deployed look of the gear as inferred by the drawings, it would seem the panel is split on what is the correct configuration.

Berttt

Honneamise, I'm referring to the only picture on the link that has gear. Check out the gear doors that are attached to main gear, that gives it away, the right side is fully deployed the left side isn't.

I still hope you don't make the thing too small, like the size of a fan racer, that would suck.

Edited by Grayson72

I think Grayson72 correct about the gear. The left gear strut does not seem to be fully- deployed yet.... Hey unmanned fighter, hurry up and get that gear down! hehe

You are welcome. I am glad I can help. I'd want the model to be right. Are you make the air brake/control surfaces movable? They act similar to the Superbird's....

-nanashino

That makes 20 Jasonc thanks for the order!

Honneamise, I told you this would be popular! Too bad it's been a bit contentious, don't get discouraged, I'm sure we are all going to love whatever you come up with.

Guess I always tackle models with unknown measures but I actually like it -if there is a lack of info on the subject there is also a lot of creative license I can take - that way it is more fun!! :D

While I have to think about the final dimensions again, I thought I make myself more familiar with the lines of the craft by making a painting of it. It´s not finished yet but at least you can see it´s a Ghost (I hope so.. :rolleyes: )

post-2845-1129047457_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

Don't forget that a red "flying kite" in a white circle is supposed to the symbol of the U.N. Ground Forces. Are you going to include some type of technical write up with it?

-nanashino

www.macrossmecha.info

That makes 20 Jasonc thanks for the order!

Honneamise, I told you this would be popular!  Too bad it's been a bit contentious, don't get discouraged,  I'm sure we are all going to love whatever you come up with.

335659[/snapback]

PLEASE let that become box art.  I'm sure there are some graphics guys here that would love to make the box look like the classic Arii and Imai boxes.

335827[/snapback]

Heck with that, with that painting it should look like a modern Hase box.

Unbelievable painting, true artist man.

The fins look a bit too verticle though, makes them look like rabbit ears.

Edited by Grayson72

PLEASE let that become box art.  I'm sure there are some graphics guys here that would love to make the box look like the classic Arii and Imai boxes.

335827[/snapback]

Heck with that, with that painting it should look like a modern Hase box.

Unbelievable painting, true artist man.

The fins look a bit too verticle though, makes them look like rabbit ears.

336069[/snapback]

Thanks :) You mean the big aft fins? I tried to make them look like on the MiG 25 plane, but maybe they´re indeed too upright, must check the lineart again...

Well nanashino you caught me. I was sitting in the garden while painting and thought I could do the kite, no reference at hand at the time. Somehow automatically I started with a white background, possibly because it looks better as a contrast to the dark colour of the plane. Of course this is wrong unless the Ghost is a Destroid - I´m gonna change that! But I guess the overall colours - usually light for airborne craft and dark for ground forces- made Kawamori/Miyatake think it was useful to have the colours reversed for better contrast...

uh...yeah I casually paint Macross masterpieces in my garden all the time too, You're too funny

336308[/snapback]

Haha, I used to do that myself. We had a big deck and I'd setup all my modeling gear in a box so I could move it in and outside (in case of rain etc) at night. It was very pleasant, and there's no trouble with poisonous fumes.

The trouble with my garden is that it is a few kilometers away from our flat (we only have a small balcony) so I better take all things I need with me...

well this time I got the kite right, and most of the bigger details are done. As for the angle of the fins, I found out there are some sketches with "rabbit ears" and others with much more angled fins <_< but what you see on TV HAS rabbit ears and I start to like them....

Next will be finer stuff such as panel lines etc.. and I guess I should make the scene "busier" by adding some more Ghosts or maybe Hikaru struggling in his VF-1D in the background for some colour variety...

post-2845-1129382074_thumb.jpg

Beautiful artwork!

You are truely an artist in multiple respects.

-nanashino

www.macrossmecha.info

The trouble with my garden is that it is a few kilometers away from our flat (we only have a small balcony) so I better take all things I need with me...

well this time I got the kite right, and most of the bigger details are done. As for the angle of the fins, I found out there are some sketches with "rabbit ears" and others with much more angled fins <_< but what you see on TV HAS rabbit ears and I start to like them....

Next will be finer stuff such as panel lines etc.. and I guess I should make the scene "busier" by adding some more Ghosts or maybe Hikaru struggling in his VF-1D in the background for some colour variety...

post-2845-1129382074_thumb.jpg

336875[/snapback]

Guest Bromgrev

336875[/snapback]

Schrebergarten, huh? No domestic distractions, it's obviously working judging from the results.

Schrebergarten, you got it Bromgrev!! :D

The weather has changed to wind and rain and I´ve redesigned the side view. More elegant and slim, the first one was way too bulky even it looked right when compared with what you see on screen. I can´t get used to the idea of the "real" Ghost being the size of a big model aircraft, in my book it is STILL about 80% of a VF-1.

post-2845-1129718538_thumb.jpg

I´ve just found the perfect aft thruster :):) , comes from a 1/144 Gundam Gerbera Tretra and has the perfect shape.

Good to see this solved before I even begin - and that part settles the size of the craft on about 16cm overall - not THAT big but still a handful and it matches the lineart! More to come....

Looks pretty good....

I wasn't going to show this, but what the hell. First, let me say that this is not official, not [completely] accurate, and it is fan-made.... it is however a side view of the QF-3000E Ghost drawn by the doujin group called MAT (Macross Attack Team/Multi-configuration Analysis Team)

:

qf3000e-side_mat.jpg

-Nanshi's

www.macrossmecha.info

Thanks Nanashi, another view of the same subject and quite different from what I´ve come up with.... gave me quite a headache yesterday! ;)

I´ve redesigned my nose (well actually not mine even though it could be a tad smaller :D ) I mean I´ve changed the Ghost´s nose more to what is seen in this lineart.

What I´ve found out is that this Fan-Art is closely based on the preliminary concept sketch as featured in the Miyatake book. Still, I´m sticking to my slightly beefier, wedge-like appearance as this does match the "official" lineart more closely. And remember this is supposed to be a lifting body design, it should more ride on the air than cutting through it.

I´m almost through with my own 3-views now, it was quite difficult to determine the width of the craft. In the lineart it looks kinda slim but it has to accomodate the lading gear and two big airbrakes side by side on the underside PLUS it gets wider on the upper side.

The upper/down-view looks OK now but I have yet to draw a matching front/rear-view - hope this will look OK. It´s easy to draw a Ghost freehand but if it has to be "nailed down" in a plan it is getting difficult....

I mean each time Miyatake drew a new lineart he seems to have changed all the hull curvatures, angle of the fins etc. and for a physical model it has to be something in the middle of it.... it´s very challenging even before I get to build anything!