TV Ghost - 1/72 model kit

honneamise

:D After I did the Oberth kit there were quite some ideas about new projects and it seems a TV Ghost in 1/72 will be a good choice. So far everything about it went into the old Oberth thread but I guess it is time for a new thread dedicated to the Ghost.

From what I expect this one could be made into a very detailed replica, it will not be too hard to cast and it should be quite a poular subject as it can be displayed alongside the Hasegawa Valkyries.

Moreover, with the M+ X-9 Ghost resin kit and the upcoming MZero Ghost from Hasegawa, a kit of the TV series Ghost will kinda close the gap and allow the modeler to display all three stages of unmanned fighter design as seen in the various series/OVAs.

There is no reliable data about the size of the "real" craft so it will be guesswork based on the sketches in the Miyatake design book/ Perfect Memory. So far I´ve settled on about 13,4m in length - this will make it about 18,5cm in 1/72.

post-2845-1128526809_thumb.jpg

First sketch with VF-1 as size comparison - the man in the pic is slightly smaller than in the Miyatake sketch, making the Ghost slightly bigger (or one could argue that the man in the original sketch was probably Roy... ;) ) but I find the size differences between the two fighters quite convincing now.

What do you think about it guys? Would you be interested in a Ghost kit? Any input welcome!!

Guess I'll start the wanted list here then:

Total: 61

Grayson 3

Cobywan 2

Penguin 2

Viceland 2

Myersjessee 1

Gabe Q 1

boinger 1

THOR 2

007-vf1 1

Darklord4 1

LTSO 1

nanashino 2

AZRhino 2

jipe 1

Jasonc 1

jorawar_b 2

akim 1

Ranger565 2

Lo-pan 1

Pat S 1

Mechmaster 1

Neptunesurvey 3

Major Tom 1

Goshawk 1

Goldenboy Forever 1

cool8or 1

Wheels 1

VF17 2

Cdr Fokker 1

Bertt 1

Gundamhead 1

Neova 3

Mr Jones 1

Godfather 1

TER-OR 2

xstoys 1

Kylwell 1

Mechleader 1

cokefiend 1

Jardann 1

Valkyrie 1

onezero 2

specr0101 1

Fly4victory 1

Edited by Grayson72

I´d like optional landing gear and extended/retraced missile bay covers on the sides.

And I´d like to add lots of panel lines and access hatches to match the surface detailing on the Hasegawa kits. The whole thing should be more than just the lineart made into a model.

Definitely a lot of work, but I don´t want to waste an opportunity to make it look as cool as I can.

I wasn't interested in the Oberth (beautiful work, by the way... just not my thing), but I'd definitely be down for a couple of Ghosts.

I don't have any of the artbooks, so I have only a couple of lin art drawing for reference. Can I ask why the landing gear is not in the vertical, or near vertical? I can't think of any plane that has gear like that as it would be prone to collapse.

Cheers,

Berttt

P.S. I'll put my name down for one once I have an idea of cost.

Wow seems the Ghost is a bit more poular than the Oberth - maybe it is because it has much more screen time - five seconds instead of the Oberth´s two ;) .

You guys have mentioned all the issues I need to solve before I begin on this one..

the size: here is the sketch with the man and it indicates a rather small plane

post-2845-1128578064_thumb.jpg

I made it slightly bigger in my own sketch but as Cobywan says I´m not sure why a robot plane shouln´t be kind of miniaturized - if you don´t need a cockpit you can design the plane around the engine and the weapons - the smaller the size the harder to hit in combat.

Maybe I should shrink the thing a bit. On the other hand, several sites (Nanashis for example) state the TV Ghost is "much" bigger than the "booster" Ghost they use in M 0. Considering the size of the VF-0, the older Ghost is already quite big, but I don´t buy the idea of the TV Version being bigger than a VF-1.

The landing gear? Bertt I agree, the gear in the sketch is too angled to accept a heavy weight but it seems to be designed that way.

post-2845-1128578698.jpg

This way it looks cool but seems to indicate a very light plane. With this gear in mind, I don´t think it could be anywhere as heavy or big as a VF-1. And even if it is smaller it still needs some support struts.... maybe it is not fully extended in the sketch?

Electric Indigo you must consider that this is based on a lifting body design and these are not exactly sleek! Still, I´m not fully convinced of the way it looks in my sketch. I guess I will stay with the main body´s proportions but make the sensor head more flat to enhance the wedge shape and match the lineart more closely.

The side view makes the Ghost appear fat but as the sides are angled inwards this effect will be somewhat reduced on the model I hope.

As for the cost I have no definite idea but most likely more than the Oberth but under EURO 100 thats sure.

Keep in mind, in your first sketch the aircraft is turned away from you almost 3/4's (you can see most of the rear nozzle) so it would appear smaller in that sketch.

334397[/snapback]

Don´t worry I know this sketch is just good for measuring the height of the Ghost not the actual length - those 8m are way too small!

The Oberth took slightly more than 3 months to complete, this one might take a little longer but it depends on how much other work I have to do.

334487[/snapback]

Who you kiddin' you don't have anything else to do :lol:

The landing gear? Bertt I agree, the gear in the sketch is too angled to accept a heavy weight but it seems to be designed that way.

post-2845-1128578698.jpg

This way it looks cool but seems to indicate a very light plane. With this gear in mind, I don´t think it could be anywhere as heavy or big as a VF-1. And even if it is smaller it still needs some support struts.... maybe it is not fully extended in the sketch?

334392[/snapback]

I think you're on the right track there. Whenever I see that piece of lineart, it always looks to me like its a "landing in progress" pic, with the gear in the process of dropping rather than in their final position.

9 so far, that was fast, Hurray for Honneamise!

Ahem LTSO chime in here anytime with your order.

334259[/snapback]

You know me, G72. I'm waiting for the Toy Yamato version :rolleyes: Just kidding. I'm in for one. I sure hopes its less than Euro 100... that's $120 USD.

Edited by Less than Super Ostrich

post-2845-1128578698.jpg

334392[/snapback]

I think you're on the right track there. Whenever I see that piece of lineart, it always looks to me like its a "landing in progress" pic, with the gear in the process of dropping rather than in their final position.

334512[/snapback]

If you look at the first scene with the Ghost (ep.1) , in the very first frame the landing gear looks like in the lineart, one frame further it is almost fully retracted and one further only one gear door is still open. Since the plane is already in the air when the scene begins and it is obviously caught in the middle of the retracting process, I´d say the gear looks different when the plane is on the ground.

You did a really good job with the Space Destroyer. I guess I missed that one.... (Is there any way to still order one?) I would like a Ghost also, depending on how it turns out and the price perhaps two kits. : )

There are no official specifications on the QF-3000E Ghost's size. However there are some Studio Nue drawings. As you said, there is the pre-production pictures of the 'Northrop Ghost" on page 242 of Macross Perfect memory also seen in the new Miyatake book. But this maybe more to go on:

macrosslaunchairshow.jpg

As you can see in the image above, the Ghost is rather small compare to the VF-1D on the tarmac. I believe what you have drawn on graph paper may be a bit too big per the concepts and the Macross Space Launching Ceramony Airshow.

Then there are the unofficial MAT fan specs, but I wouldn't go with them. They are more in line Ghost variation shown in the Macross 7 Trash manga by HAL which is much larger.

-nanashino

www.macrossmecha.info

I have to say given today's technology where we have modeeratly small robo-planes. Adding in the more advanced alien tech and it's material would reduce the small of the Ghost by a good bit. But if it didn't then the Ghost would be agrueably most powerfull then the VF series just in sheer firepower alone, because it's size would match any of the VF series. And given how the Ghost was an unpiloted attempt at a cheap disposable military asset it would be smaller and require less materials, and cost, to build.

So I my viewpoint go smaller.