Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

I'm more concerned with having a version that won't potentially crack a part, so I'm picking it up regardless. The only real question at this point I have is whether ADV will leave "sempai" in the subtitles, as only funimation & animeigo so far have left such things in their subtitles. If so, then regardless of how it sounds in the dub, it could mean a nice improvement of their subtitles. Though now that I think about it, Godannar left all the "chan"'s in the subtitles, so this practice I'll support.

I'm more concerned with having a version that won't potentially crack a part, so I'm picking it up regardless. The only real question at this point I have is whether ADV will leave "sempai" in the subtitles, as only funimation & animeigo so far have left such things in their subtitles.

353362[/snapback]

I'm pretty certain they will. If they left it in the dub, they're probably not gonna change it for the subs.

Since there's only 1 DVD out at a time, it wont cost you 100 dollars at first, but once you've bought all 6 dvd's....yeah your gonna be over hundred dollars slightly.

353875[/snapback]

More if you buy the collector's case, which will include disc 1 and a case for about $40.00

This is terrible. Just listening to the subtitles make me cringe. The original Robotech cast (sans Reba West) was way beter as much as I hate to say it.

I'm sticking to my AnimEigo Collection.

I might have overeacted a bit with only sound clips though. I may just buy 1 or 2 DVD's. Just to check everything out with picture.

Just listening to the subtitles make me cringe.

354070[/snapback]

How did you develop this amazing power to hear the written word? :p

How can anyone say Reba West is better than Mari? I mean, its her frigging character! Minmay sounds like she is supposed to sound, but in english.

No, that would be Minmay's voice when she's all grown up, had a divorce and birthed a couple of kids. That's not Minmay's voice when she was 15. :rolleyes:

It may be Mari's character, but her voice says other wise.

How can anyone say Reba West is better than Mari? I mean, its her frigging character! Minmay sounds like she is supposed to sound, but in english.

No, that would be Minmay's voice when she's all grown up, had a divorce and birthed a couple of kids. That's not Minmay's voice when she was 15. :rolleyes:

It may be Mari's character, but her voice says other wise.

354128[/snapback]

I dunno, sounded like her to me.

The only real complaint is this... Ms. Rial, (pause for breath)

IT'S PRONOUNCED MAH-CROSS, DAMMIT, NOT MUH-CROSS!!! Thank you.

I suppose reviewing so much anime, one has to accept certain "realities" of the state of dubbing japanese animation into english. A good dub is so rare, it's difficult to hold the rest of dubbed anime to such a standard, or even to demand better. For that reason alone, I can understand the reviews and the reality of judging comparable anime series.

I can also understand the perspective many of these reviewers will have. Macross isn't really special to most of these modern anime websites. Noteworthy for certain, as a piece of anime history. However, the peak of Macross (like so many other beloved anime shows of previous decades) has been reached and left. Looking objectively at the series from the mindset of a current anime critic leads to some pretty harsh realisations about the series. I suspect this is not unlike the harsh revelations many nostalgic Star Wars fans suffered in 1999 :)

Personally, Macross will always remain one of the greatest moments of my history as an anime fan, like so many films from the 1970's and earlier that remain astonishing to my eyes even today. I can't blame these reviewers for lacking immersion in such an old series as Macross when I myself was unable to do the same with shows like the original Mobile Suit Gundam upon my very first viewing back in 2000. I guess you had to be there :)

In spite of the reviews (which I'm glad are mostly positive) I still haven't changed my mind, as I feel the dub is certainly weak. Perhaps I'm giving Macross and the original japanese cast far too much credit, but I expect better of modern dubs.

no, your not giving them too much credit at all......it may seem high from such a poorly done dub, but its not too high.

personally I think the only dubs that have really ever made me applaud were GitS, Fatal Fury, and maybe Gundam Wing.

For me, the best dub (barring the celebrity-laden Ghibli/Disney/Tokuma ones) I've heard was Cowboy Bebop. The absolute worst was pretty much any dub job from AnimEigo (they are a great studio, but their icehouse and dub studios suck.) And although I've only heard a few clips of the Macross dub, I'm still sticking by my belief that it is not an irredeemably bad dub. With a few reservations, I'm actually getting used to it.

Not only is it "MAH-CROSS", its "Super Dimension", not "Dimensional".

Ya know, this is usually the kind of thing you have producers and editors for. :rolleyes:

354393[/snapback]

Unlike Animeigo....ADV doesn't have Egan around to smack them when they make an error.

The only real complaint is this... Ms. Rial, (pause for breath)

IT'S PRONOUNCED MAH-CROSS, DAMMIT, NOT MUH-CROSS!!! Thank you.

354245[/snapback]

Yeah. What's up with the deliberate Lacrosse mispronounciation of Macross?

Here's something more suspicious.

RT's Shadow Chronicles is being voice-directed by Richard Epcar (Bateu(gits-sac), Guld(macross-plus)) and Yuri Lowenthal (Leo in Scrapped Princess) are headlining it. These two names alone indicates that Shadow Chronicles is gonna have at least an A-class english-dubbing.

The new Macross english-dubs is going F-class. As in f*cked-up.

My vol 1 + box has apparently shipped, so I should have it by friday. I'm actually anxious to see what ADV did & didn't mess up with this release :)

355504[/snapback]

Already? Where did you order from?

Edited by Pat Payne