Macross TV Dub

Pat Payne

http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=597

Mari Iijima will be the VA for Minmay in the English dub of Macross. :blink:

and ADV will be cleaning up the subs

According to information from ADV Films at their panel at Oni-Con in Houston, Texas this weekend, there is some interesting news regarding their plans for the Macross release that they're working on. As previously known and confirmed, the series will be receiving a brand new accurate dub for the release as well as even more accurate subtitles that will be cleaning up some of the controversial lines in the previous subtitled release.
Edited by dejr8bud

ADV might be going in the right direction of getting Mari Iijima. But, who knows if she can act in English?

This is interesting news, but ADV has had a lot of crap dubs. If Macross turns out to be anything like Orphen... Pfff, screw the dub, even if it has Mari Iijima.

Well isn't ADV lucky.....

Personally, I think that translating anime into english via any means ruins the artistic integrity of of the anime. Who's to say that they are getting the subtitles right or truly reflecting the tone and nuances of the dialog? Anyone who wants to enjoy anime the proper way should learn Japanese.

I just prefer to watch any show in the language it was originally made in, be it Japanese, Chinese, Russian, French, Indian, whatever. Dubbing takes out some of the feeling that the original acting had put in. Whether it be lost in translation or lack of skill, the original setting is what I prefer. I could care less if it was dubbed.

According to information from ADV Films at their panel at Oni-Con in Houston, Texas this weekend, there is some interesting news regarding their plans for the Macross release that they're working on. As previously known and confirmed, the series will be receiving a brand new accurate dub for the release as well as even more accurate subtitles that will be cleaning up some of the controversial lines in the previous subtitled release.

338813[/snapback]

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I AM SEEING. :o The Japanese goddess of song is reprising her role in english verison of Macross. What a minute didn't I wish that she would do this?!? :blink: Atleast with her singing, the song will be sung in english the right way, my guess is that she probaly heard that Reba West was auditioning to reprise her roleas Minmay and rushed in to save everyone from more torture from impaling themselves. Maybe that would explain how RW came out of an audition battered and bruised heh heh.:p

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

:o I'm happy to see Mari Iijima returning as Minmay. If she's able to do the english part well, I may just check out the dub.

338861[/snapback]

I wonder if CN will pick up on this? :unsure:

Does this mean she'll also re-record her old songs in English? :ph34r:

338828[/snapback]

Dunno. Who owns the rights to those original Macross songs so that they can be re-recorded? BW? Tatsunoko/HG etc?

I also wonder whose art they will be using for the DVD covers/box. Tommy Yune's Macross illustrations? :ph34r:

338813[/snapback]

It will be ironic if Mari's English voice over for Minmay is worse then Reba West's version! :p

Seriously, it has been this fanboy's wish for ages that if an English dub would be done for the US of either Macross the TV series or DYRL, that Mari would reprise her role of Minmay in English. Previously, I didn't have definite plans on getting this new Macross DVD set, but I'm a lot more jazzed up now. This is anime history in the making! :)

Having heard Mari speak english quite a bit at the last MWCON, I think she just might be able to pull it off as her english is very good. Though, part of me is worried because she still has a bit of an ESL (English as 2nd language) intonation when she speaks. Though, that might be fine for the character if we just assume that Minmay has an accent as well. :)

I was already going to pick this up. Now I'll probably pre-order it. The article alludes to some cool extras too.

H

That is the most nakedly elitist argument I've ever heard...

And "stupid and uneducated" because they prefer what they're watching? Please. Maybe they have IN OUR OPINION bad taste in anime, but it doesn't mean they're knuckle-dragging trogolodytes or are going to suddenly start using the Macross discs as coasters.

What did my comments hit a little to close to home? Hey I can't help it for I'm always right and am the sole judge of whats right or wrong.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with bringing Macross to the masses.

You're failing to remember that I'm the sole judge of what right or wrong. There's nothing wrong with letting the masses see Macross or any classic anime or forgein film. What's wrong is when you make changes for the masses. Look at Robotech thats a perfect example of one change too many. Should Macross catch on would you be getting more new releases of "Macross" or more new releases of Mass Friendly Macross?

If I have to put up with a new dub of Macross and hordes of diehards acting stroppy about it, that's a small price to pay for more Macross merchandise, Yamato's easier to obtain, and a region one release of Macross Zero/Macross 7/Flashback 2012.

Sell out :p

In fact any one you thinks something like this can lead to easier and cheaper access to Macross Toys and merchadize are sells outs. Do you all really care about the art itself or getting that toy you always wanted for under a fifty bucks?

Let the masses see Macross if they want to but don't go around altering it making it more friendly to them. If you alter it a little bit here you'll alter it a little bit more there for the masses. What good is more and new Macross if the artistic integrity suffers because of it?

Btw I am also an elitest about my Pizza. Don't cha go around throw chicken on it. A hamburger belongs in a bun not no stupid green leafs. Onion Ring should be made of whole onions not minced. Turkey doesn't belong in a hot dog either.

As previously known and confirmed, the series will be receiving a brand new accurate dub for the release as well as even more accurate subtitles that will be cleaning up some of the controversial lines in the previous subtitled release.

what were these controversial lines they are referring to?

338931[/snapback]

I remember someone threw a hissyfit because int eh first ep, Roy's subbed as saying "the neds of the many outway the needs of the one" instead of quoting the exact population of the city when he's denied authorization to look for Hikaru. Didn't hurt the meaning at all, but added a mild Trek reference.

There were a few lines like that. No real change of the meaning, just a bit of "tweaking."

*snip*

If I have to put up with a new dub of Macross and hordes of diehards acting stroppy about it, that's a small price to pay for more Macross merchandise, Yamato's easier to obtain, and a region one release of Macross Zero/Macross 7/Flashback 2012.

Sell out :p

In fact any one you thinks something like this can lead to easier and cheaper access to Macross Toys and merchadize are sells outs.  Do you all really care about the art itself or getting that toy you always wanted for under a fifty bucks?

338921[/snapback]

I see no honor in ignorance nor do I see any nobility in expense. I do not long for those early school days of sans-subtitled bootleg-quality beta cassettes at $50 a pop. Expecting better of the companies that sell me their product is not a "sell out", it's called consumer responsibility and creating a more faithful dub for Macross is not a slippery slope that leads to the ever-hated ways of HG. I'm thankful this new release will do good for Macross and for my hobby as a fan.

God damnit, now I have to pick this up just to catch the extra's with Mari. Damn you ADV, damn you to hell!!

With that said...

Subtitles don't change anything at all. Whether they're a perfect translation, or completely off base, they don't change any of the original content whatsoever. Especially in our new day & age of removable subtitles on DVD's. Dubs no matter how accurate or off still completely replace the original audio track, leaving the piece forever changed.

All things considered, I am curious to see how Minmay treats this new performance of Minmay, will she listen to her old performance & try to mimic it? Will she go for something entirely new? Hell, that's the only reason why I'm even remotely considering switching to the dub track to check it out.

OMG! OMG! OMG!!! Mari will be the English Minmay as well?!?!?!?! WOW!!! And as far as dubs go, I wouldn't mind an english dub although it's a pain in some ways because of how I have to re-buy the series again, especially since Mari is gonna reprise the role in the dub. And I can still enjoy anime despite my ability to understand Japanese dubs without the subs. You don't need to understand Japanese to fully enjoy anime, that's just dumb. And reading subs can get really tiring sometimes because you may have missed what was said and have to rewind the thing and the fact that you have to have your eyes on the screen the whole time. I like to be able to turn my back and still know what's going on because there's an english language track on the anime. The Japanese tracks really come in handy when I'm watching with my girlfriend. ;)

God damnit, now I have to pick this up just to catch the extra's with Mari. Damn you ADV, damn you to hell!!

With that said...

Subtitles don't change anything at all. Whether they're a perfect translation, or completely off base, they don't change any of the original content whatsoever. Especially in our new day & age of removable subtitles on DVD's. Dubs no matter how accurate or off still completely replace the original audio track, leaving the piece forever changed.

All things considered, I am curious to see how Minmay treats this new performance of Minmay, will she listen to her old performance & try to mimic it? Will she go for something entirely new? Hell, that's the only reason why I'm even remotely considering switching to the dub track to check it out.

338965[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. Looks like I have a reason to eventually check out this dub. I still wish someone other than ADV was doing it though. I just rarely enjoy their dubs, Hopefully Mari won't be the only highpoint, nor will they get too "creative".

It is weird hearing how ADV will by "cleaning up" the sub thpugh. While I suppose it's better than them just rereleasing Animeigo's word for word, I hope they leave it to just those lines. Though they'll probably ditch the honorifics sadly. At least they have one of the guys that worked on the Animeigo sub, IIRC.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

338965[/snapback]

This is the best news I've heard all day. I couldn't be happier that ADV was able to persuade Ms. Iijima to return as Minmay, rather than try to get one of the usual ADV stable (annoying, but tolerable) or Reba West (punishable as a crime against humanity by international statute). This just cements my resolve to get the ADV dub. Now, with any luck...they got some other good voice talent for the other roles... BTW...I think I called that one a while ago :p

I do feel a bit sorry for Akira Kamiya though...He's gone on record as wanting to be the first Japanese seyuu to be on an English dub cast...but there's no shame in second place.

[end fun stuff]

And Roy... your comments DID cut very much to the quick. Make no mistake, I am deadly serious on this matter. I do not, and will not condone this idea that they are somehow inferior to us solely because they like Inuyasha or Case Closed or have substandard Internet writing skills (i.e. use that hacker Cyrillic). That means that they're different from most of us on this board. Different, but not inferior. Al Capone is inferior to me. Ken Lay is inferior to me. Orville Faubus is inferior to me. (insert favorite Fascist or Communist dictator) is inferior to me. That is because they placed themselves there by their actions and lack of morals and humanity. A 15-year-old otaku who goes "OMG!!!!!!!! 1 L0ve teh 1nuyasha!!!!!!!"? Annoying, but NOT inferior.

Edited by Pat Payne

Does this mean she'll also re-record her old songs in English? :ph34r:

338828[/snapback]

Dunno. Who owns the rights to those original Macross songs so that they can be re-recorded? BW? Tatsunoko/HG etc?

I also wonder whose art they will be using for the DVD covers/box. Tommy Yune's Macross illustrations? :ph34r:

338897[/snapback]

I think they're in the clear with the original Macross songs...HG's used them twice, on the old VHS Rowboatek MasterPiece Collection, and on Animeigo's SDF Macross DVD set. The songs, IIRC, are owned by JVC Victor and not directly by any of the warring parties. Besides, I'm sure that ADV, at least, has some scruples somewhere (Orphen notwithstanding) and would not have Mari re-record those pieces of crap that passed for songs from RoanoakTech, particularly "We Shall Win" which totally changes the sentiment of the final battle sequence.

Hopefully, if the DYRL troubles get cleared up, maybe they can persuade her to return one last time for that...

And Roy... your comments DID cut very much to the quick. Make no mistake, I am deadly serious on this matter.

WTF is this a threat? You're a little touchy on this aren't you. Is it that time of the month?

I do not, and will not condone this idea that they are somehow inferior to us solely because they like Inuyasha or Case Closed or have substandard Internet writing skills (i.e. use that hacker Cyrillic). That means that they're different from most of us on this board. Different, but not inferior.

I think I which 10 minutes of Inyasha here and there. With thoughts this seems like the same stupid crap you can expect from imported anime. Maybe several months ago it will be over. Several months later. I'm watching a stupid anime and think to myself, wait a minute is this that same stupid show. As for the hacker computer speakers yes they're retarded too. I think they can all be both different and inferior to those who are as great and think like me.

Al Capone is inferior to me. Ken Lay is inferior to me. Orville Faubus is inferior to me. (insert favorite Fascist or Communist dictator) is inferior to me. That is because they placed themselves there by their actions and lack of morals and humanity. A 15-year-old otaku who goes "OMG!!!!!!!! 1 L0ve teh 1nuyasha!!!!!!!"? Annoying, but NOT inferior.

So wait a minute or you trying to suggest nah wait reading this I think you brain is fried. You should think like one of the us Elite Animation Nazi pursuits.

On to this actual dvd.

As previously known and confirmed, the series will be receiving a brand new accurate dub for the release as well as even more accurate subtitles that will be cleaning up some of the controversial lines in the previous subtitled release.

Now I'm totally confused. Didn't HG and Animego go parading old whats his name around praising him for the excellent job. Now to make sure you get the people that already have the Animego set to buy another one someone has to start convincing you that the others ones were wrong. I'm losing all faith in them now! I think says this dvds won't freeze during play and we got Mari doing a voice will be a bigger selling point.

Subtitles don't change anything at all. Whether they're a perfect translation, or completely off base, they don't change any of the original content whatsoever.

As anyone even basically familiar with the rigors of translation will tell you. . . something is always lost in translation. When you watch a translated work, you're not seeing it on its own "merits" as you put it. Now, I was obviously being sarcastic in demonstrating my point because I really don't expect all of us to learn Japanese. My point, however, is that the line you draw seems rather arbitrary as both means of delivering the Japanese language to non-Japanese speakers affects the artist's original intent and you could argue that you're no longer enjoying the anime on it own "merits" in either case. Yes, a dub alters more, and I prefer subtitles. . . but I'm not about to go around bashing those who like dubs because subtitles are more "pure" and "proper."

Dubs no matter how accurate or off still completely replace the original audio track, leaving the piece forever changed.

Perhaps you need a newer DVD player? Dubs do not always replace the original Japanese. DVDs have the ability to have multiple audio tracks. And, so, again, as long as they provide both subtitles/Japanese and a dubbed english track, I really don't think you should be complaining. But I'm sure you will anyways. :)

H

Edited by Hurin

Now I'm totally confused.  Didn't HG and Animego go parading old whats his name around praising him for the excellent job.  Now to make sure you get the people that already have the Animego set to buy another one someone has to start convincing you that the others ones were wrong. 

Pretty much. I was fairly sure after it was originally released they were gonna do a second release with a dub.

Especially after "There's no such thing as Robotech Uncut, and we can't do a remaster because we lost the edit list... oh, wait, we DID have some extra scenes and a remaster. My mistake. Hope you don't mind having to buy another set."

And Roy... your comments DID cut very much to the quick. Make no mistake, I am deadly serious on this matter.

WTF is this a threat?   You're a little touchy on this aren't you.  Is it that time of the month?

That wasn't a threat. And if it was construed as one, I apologize, as that wasn't my intent. I'm just saying that I'm beyond all joking in saying that people are stupid and uneducated for what is basically an astethic choice is beneath us. And I don't know where to begin with how wrong that "time of the month" crack is. (starting with the fact that I'm male, and going on from there...)

And yes, I am damn well touchy on this subject. I have never liked it when people are told what they can and cannot do, read or watch, not because of any necessary restriction (such as age to buy porn or inebriation precluding someone from driving or so on) but because of who they ARE. I do not like people being dismissed as stupid or uneducated or what have you because they aren't in the "in" crowd, or don't know the "secret handshake." When I was in junior high and high school, I had to deal with that ilk -- even had my life threatened twice by them.

I think they can all be both different and inferior to those who are as great and think like me.

That is an appalling statement, beneath any further comment.

Al Capone is inferior to me. Ken Lay is inferior to me. Orville Faubus is inferior to me. (insert favorite Fascist or Communist dictator) is inferior to me. That is because they placed themselves there by their actions and lack of morals and humanity. A 15-year-old otaku who goes "OMG!!!!!!!! 1 L0ve teh 1nuyasha!!!!!!!"? Annoying, but NOT inferior.

So wait a minute or you trying to suggest nah wait reading this I think you brain is fried.  You should think like one of the us Elite Animation Nazi pursuits.

Can you even try to take this debate seriously, or are you going to merely dismiss every argument as being somehow moronic because it doesn't conform to some narrow conception of yours as to how the world should work? I don't hold with ad hominem attacks either (such as "this time of the month" or "your brain is fried," none of which advance what should be a civil, if forceful, debate one iota), fellah. If you notice, I have not once directly attacked YOU personally, but merely your ideas. I request the same courtesy.

Edited by Pat Payne

Pretty much. I was fairly sure after it was originally released they were gonna do a second release with a dub.

Especially after "There's no such thing as Robotech Uncut, and we can't do a remaster because we lost the edit list... oh, wait, we DID have some extra scenes and a remaster. My mistake. Hope you don't mind having to buy another set."

Hey look HG blows monkey sacks! :p But we all already knew that. Hey look ADV and HG are in bed together, I wonder what kind of bastard spawn they'll drop from their crotches... :ph34r:

HG has the continuity of a time paradox. Yes, no, it happened, it didn't, we have, we don't have, uh... Here's a man with pink skin and action-figure hips. :p:lol:

Problems with translating things. You can and do lose the sense of things, especially for words and phrases that don't exist in other languages. Like there's no equivalent for the multipurpose word"f*ck" in French. Jokes and poetry die in translation. Then you have the big thing of "okay now that this title is translated, let's hand the translation over to a team of retards that know jack about anything, and let them rewrite the translation so it'll be cool, hip, pc, and be minty fresh". You can get retarded translators that change dialogue because, "oh it sounds cooler this way to have Akane Tendo call Ranma a pussy".

Hearing the English dub for Saint Seiya (not the cartoon network hacked up version) by ADV was horrid. Especially all the little things they added to make it sound "cooler".

I fear for the future of Macross. Mari Iijima doesn't mean the dub will be any good. I will hold off final judgement until everything is done and over, but until then...

I have a bad feeling about this... :p:ph34r: (yes Star Wars quotes work for everything! HAHA! :lol: )

Hey look HG blows monkey sacks! :p But we all already knew that. Hey look ADV and HG are in bed together, I wonder what kind of bastard spawn they'll drop from their crotches... :ph34r:

*chuckles*

Not quite the angle I was going for, but it works.

Was just saying, it seemed fairly obvious to me that they were gonna do a second release later, particularly given how they handled Rawbooteck.

I have a bad feeling about this...  :p  :ph34r: (yes Star Wars quotes work for everything! HAHA! :lol: )

URAHHHH!!!

I think they can all be both different and inferior to those who are as great and think like me.

Think Roy's just being facetious here... but it's just not quite as charming when his avatar isn't a gratuitous, bare-chested shot of himself and when that particular schtick's already been played out. :rolleyes:

-Al

Think Roy's just being facetious here... but it's just not quite as charming when his avatar isn't a gratuitous, bare-chested shot of himself and when that particular schtick's already been played out. :rolleyes:

-Al

339123[/snapback]

You're probably right, but that sort of attitude still strikes a raw nerve in me.

HG has the continuity of a time paradox. Yes, no, it happened, it didn't, we have, we don't have, uh... Here's a man with pink skin and action-figure hips. :p:lol:

Problems with translating things. You can and do lose the sense of things, especially for words and phrases that don't exist in other languages. Like there's no equivalent for the multipurpose word"f*ck" in French. Jokes and poetry die in translation. Then you have the big thing of "okay now that this title is translated, let's hand the translation over to a team of retards that know jack about anything, and let them rewrite the translation so it'll be cool, hip, pc, and be minty fresh". You can get retarded translators that change dialogue because, "oh it sounds cooler this way to have Akane Tendo call Ranma a pussy".

Hearing the English dub for Saint Seiya (not the cartoon network hacked up version) by ADV was horrid. Especially all the little things they added to make it sound "cooler".

I fear for the future of Macross. Mari Iijima doesn't mean the dub will be any good. I will hold off final judgement until everything is done and over, but until then...

I have a bad feeling about this... :p:ph34r: (yes Star Wars quotes work for everything! HAHA! :lol: )

339065[/snapback]

Sumdumgai, for the most part you're right about the problems of translation. I remember reading that for Urusei Yatsura, Animeigo has weekly headaches about how to translate the heavy doses of puns in the show. Puns almost never translate into another language, mostly because they are dependent on playing with the language. A good example is Cherry's introduction. In the original, Cherry introduces himself first as "Sakuranbo," which can mean either "cherry" or "insane monk." After a bit of confusion, he brings the house down by then asking everyone to call him "Cherry." That exchange cannot be done in English, as there is no confusion between the words for "cherry" and "insane monk." Animeigo glossed it both in the liner notes and onscreen to aid in explaining the joke, while Viz's manga editors inserted a joke about the name referring to the monastic life -- "it's the pits." (Go ahead and groan. You know you want to.)

With a lot of shows, however, including Macross, a near one-to-one translation can happen. Nuances will be lost or changed as a necessity as even meanings and shadings of words are different, certainly. But I have a higher hope that, given a competent group of translators who give due care to their craft that they can have a natural sounding and accurate translation for a given show.

I don't fear the new translation. and I'm looking forward to hearing Mari Iijima revisit the role of Minmay. Anything has to be better than HoboTech.