DYRL DVD

rsvictor1976

Okay I have these two versions of DYRL:

146.jpg

MacrossMovieFX.jpg

So I saw this on ebay the other day. Anyone know who makes this version below?

J101-146.jpg

Is there any differences between this one and the two above? So far I like the picture quality on the Perfect Edition but the subbing on the Anime Cartoon version I think is better.

Edited by rsvictor1976

There are five listings (some duplicate) for DYRL over at Import-Anime.com, including one or two additional cover designs. But none match the one you're asking about.

Hmm, they don't have this version listed anywhere. Thanks for the link though, I remember visiting that site a long time ago. I was actually trying to find that site earlier.

Edited by rsvictor1976

The only version you want is the one in the middle by FX. It's a direct R2 DVD rip (best quality of all the HK's, and is anamorhpic widescreen), has the entire film intact (all other versions are missing 15 seconds of footage when Misa & Hikaru are trying to contact the Macross from the Protoculture ship). Some may argue that the subtitles on the FX release aren't as accurate as other bootlegs, but they're still pretty good, plus the video quality is excellent. The other HK's have badly encoded dark & pixely video.

The only version you want is the one in the middle by FX.

Keith hit the nail right on the head. Unless Big West has plans to commemorate the 20th Anniversary of DYRL (which Graham said they weren't really sure of at that time), the FX DVD is the best bang for your buck. B)

Just for clarification, the FX version is the same thing as the Perfect Edition?

I have the Perfect Edition, but would like something with better Subs. how much better is the other version? Thanks

Chris

Some may argue that the subtitles on the FX release aren't as accurate as other bootlegs, but they're still pretty good, plus the video quality is excellent. The other HK's have badly encoded dark & pixely video.

I have the AC version and it may be a little dark (you can change this on your TV too) but it's not pixely at all. It still looks as good as it does on my TV on my computer.

Some may argue that the subtitles on the FX release aren't as accurate as other bootlegs, but they're still pretty good, plus the video quality is excellent. The other HK's have badly encoded dark & pixely video.

I have the AC version and it may be a little dark (you can change this on your TV too) but it's not pixely at all. It still looks as good as it does on my TV on my computer.

Then you may want to turn up your brightness a bit more. I bought "2" copies (hoping that the second version put out by a diferent studi wouldn't have 15 seconds missing from it), and both were badly encoded (and definately pixely).

Of course it all boils down to what's more important to you. A perfect rip in both audio & visual quality with pretty good subtitles & no missing footage (save for the Toho intro), or slightly better subtitles (but worse subtitle timing) and lower video quality with 15 seconds missing from the actual film.