VF-1D

captain america

Here are the masters for the 1/48 VF-1D conversion set.

The only part I have to mock-up tomorrow is the arm that holds the backpack in place during battroid mode. This will either be removeable or pivoting, depending on whether there's enough clearance inside the Valk for it to pivot. I was contemplating something double-hinged, but that just wouldn't be strong enough.

2005_0928Image0001s.JPG

2005_0928Image0002s.JPG

2005_0928Image0003s.JPG

2005_0928Image0004s.JPG

2005_0928Image0005s.JPG

2005_0928Image0006s.JPG

2005_0928Image0009s.JPG

2005_0928Image0010s.JPG

Most impressive. Given the limited amount of changes necessary to make a D variant, I often ponder Yamato's lack of a offical release. You've managed a fine, professional looking job on your own. Seems like an easy task for the company that designed the toy.

This custom looks great. Well done.

OHH YOU BLOODY BEAUTY!!!! :D

That is SOOO FILTH! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks Cap! Mate i just ordered a spare 1:48 and damn good timing too! :lol:

Leavin the country 30th October for 7 Months so i hope i can pay for mine before then.

Cheers! :ph34r:

*drools some more....*

ohh any info on the heatsheild wether it retracts Cap?

Here are the masters for the 1/48 VF-1D conversion set.

The only part I have to mock-up tomorrow is the arm that holds the backpack in place during battroid mode. This will either be removeable or pivoting, depending on whether there's enough clearance inside the Valk for it to pivot. I was contemplating something double-hinged, but that just wouldn't be strong enough.

looks greatt. But did you mean the "heatshield" when you said "backpack"? Im totally lost...can someone shed some light

aaajin

jawdrop.gif

I hope that these will be available till the beginning of next year. I want , but I'm not making any promises so that I don't tick you off with excess molds.

But the time you took, amazing! rock.gif The details too! Can't wait to see it with a completed canopy and green visor on the head! kowtow.gifclap.gif

looks greatt. But did you mean the "heatshield" when you said "backpack"? Im totally lost...can someone shed some light.

aaajin

im pretty sure Cap means backpack. Wouldn't make sense if it was the other way around.

332421[/snapback]

Could it be the plate that sits underneath the head? That's the only thing I can see that is missing.

The heatshield is removeable. The backpack locking mechanism is what I'm referring to: it's a small, plow-shaped part that pivots out from the hatch where the head goes trough during transformation. It locks the backpack in place to keep it from flopping about. This part may also have to be removeable.

For all the 1/48 VF-1's brilliance, its only real drawback is that the design doesn't lend itself terribly well to modification; particularly in the mid-fuselage area where the cockpit/heatshield intersect. These shortcomings can be overcome, but only by significantly-modifying a lot of the surrounding components... Probably why Yamato never released a 2-seater.

Two removeable parts is nothing Cap... this is just brilliant! Sounds like the removeable backpack hinge will be more stable than the alternative anyways yeh?

The heatshield is removeable. The backpack locking mechanism is what I'm referring to: it's a small, plow-shaped part that pivots out from the hatch where the head goes trough during transformation. It locks the backpack in place to keep it from flopping about. This part may also have to be removeable.

For all the 1/48 VF-1's brilliance, its only real drawback is that the design doesn't lend itself terribly well to modification; particularly in the mid-fuselage area where the cockpit/heatshield intersect. These shortcomings can be overcome, but only by significantly-modifying a lot of the surrounding components... Probably why Yamato never released a 2-seater.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Cap'n she looks awesome, one question. For those of us, like me, whose modelling skills, and facilities are limited, how difficult will this conversion be? Are we talking here a straight out part swap where little mroe then a screwdriver is needed, or will we need to be cutting parts?

And on a related note, who wants to build mine up custom and how much if I provide the parts?

Cap'n she looks awesome, one question.  For those of us, like me, whose modelling skills, and facilities are limited, how difficult will this conversion be?  Are we talking here a straight out part swap where little mroe then a screwdriver is needed, or will we need to be cutting parts?

And on a related note, who wants to build mine up custom and how much if I provide the parts?

332434[/snapback]

Be assured that the Capt will try to minimise difficulty, and of course Kurt and Anthony (Neova) were offering their services to convert them.

Darn Captain, at this rate you'll have the VT and the Elintseeker out by the end of the year too! :blink:

EDIT: ruskii is quick on the Reply button! :D Cheers mate.

Edited by kensei

Hi Knight26.

For the most part, the conversion will be a straight-out swap, with a few little exceptions: 4 holes will have to be drilled to accomodate the new neck-pivoting mechanism, but these will be clearly marked AND pre-indented so as to be almost fool-proof.

There are also 2 areas that will need MINOR filing; very easy, straight stuff. Beyond that, the conversion kit is designed to be VERY user-friendly. :)

notworthy.gif

I've said it before,and I'll say it again...

SWEET!! :lol:

However, Graham is right about the two antennae on the head hatch.

And also, can you give us more detail about the head mount?. That doesn't look like the standard Yamato head mount, and the head looks to be too far forward compared to where the Yamato mount places it when it is pivoted correctly. Is that just a mock up for the prototype? Will we be able to use the standard Yamato head mount piece to mount the D head?.

THANKS CAP!!!!

EDIT - Also, does anyone know the canon stance on the line that separates the D heatshield down the middle?. Is that recessed on the 1/60 D?, or on the Hasegawa D? Or is it just a decorative line?.

Edited by Mechamaniac

i don't think you can use the standard head mount, the head would be too low and if you extend the neck it would be too low in fighter.

Looking at it closer, I think the head is just sitting on top of the valk... not connected yet.

Edited by >EXO<

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the feedback. This kind of critiquing is actually very beneficial to me, and is being put to good use.

Blade antennas: will only be added before molding; they would have broken off too easily otherwise.

Head mount: I agree totally, so I completely re-worked the head mount. The head now sits more central in battroid mode, about the same in fighter mode, and no more drilling required. Stay tuned for pics tonight.

I think it looks fantastic great detailing. I look forward to getting my two sets.

One critique - The 4 trapezoids on the chest - that are unique to the 1D are too small and seem to be too high up.

Comparing it to the Yamato 1/60 1D and the excelent custom 1/55 xstoys did the trapezoids should be centered and larger.

Anyone have a pic of the chestplate from a Yamato 1/60 lying around?

I think it looks fantastic great detailing.  I look forward to getting my two sets.

One critique - The 4 trapezoids on the chest - that are unique to the 1D are too small and seem to be too high up.

Comparing it to the Yamato 1/60 1D and the excelent custom 1/55 xstoys did the trapezoids should be centered and larger.

Anyone have a pic of the chestplate from a Yamato 1/60 lying around?

332570[/snapback]

No 2 sculpt have the same proportions: the hasegawa model below has minimized the trapezoid panels yet further. I simply opted for something in the "middle-ground".

post-632-1128024916_thumb.jpg