GU-11 Gunpod question

newca

But like if the laser was powered by protoculture, then, therefore there should be a colours because of the power of the invid seed of life...

Another reason why Robotech continuity is better than Macross!!!

334879[/snapback]

Great....you've been sniffing too much of that flower haven't you?

334892[/snapback]

Sigh... yes. I admit it... I... have... a... problem. I need help

335367[/snapback]

lmao.gif

Nuts. I just realized from someone's description of a 55mm round that the GU-11 is basically akin to a rapid fire WW2 tank cannon. Nuts!!

The design for the gunpod never bothered me, I do wonder however if 200 rounds at 55mm is the best combination for battling 50 foot giants. IIRC, the standard loadout for a US rifleman is seven 30 round mags totaling 210 rounds. But I gotta figure many are realistically carrying more than seven mags around.

Well, 55mm ammo against 50 foot tall giants scales down to something around 6.6mm against 6 foot tall humans. Something like a 6.6mm high-powered rifle round (not a pistol round, mind you) could be pretty darn devastating.

-Al

If the gunpod runs out of ammo, just grab a dead zentradi soldier's weapon and use that with the manipulator. Just like in Halo. :D In fact this is what the zentradi did in later eps: they had giants holding the gunpod like a machine gun and using it against humans.

Remember in the first ep when hikaru ran out of ammo after wasting it all on the regult? Then the giant came out, and Roy finished it off with a few shots in the back? I think maybe the gunpod has a burst mode or single shot mode to save ammo.

But when fighting against fast moving mecha you can the set it to fire rapid shots and because the enemies are bigger than the battroid you have a pretty good chance of taking them down with minium fuss. (ie max fighting milia inside sdf1 while the Qrau was having trouble moving through all the buildings. Even a fast moving mecha would be useless if its body can barely fit into the environment and/or there is lack of space to strafe and dodge - perhaps the zentradi were too used to fighting in space and this gave human an edge on ground? In early eps we see battroids using the buildings as cover)

I think in later episodes I remember seeing the gunpod fire beams. Was this a mistake or were the humans finally catching up to the aliens by studying and reverse engineering thier technology from downed enemy mecha? MAybe the reverse also happened but we didn't get to see it on tv: the zentradi had micronised spies who would steal information on the gunpod and then try to develop new armor of some sort to enhance thier mecha and soldier's armor resistance to the gunpod? I think in DYRL the use of shields must be pretty silly if the thing doesn't offer some kind of protection from fire. But you see them carrying these huge tower shields to cover thier bodies in the scene when they get scared of the minmay doll.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

If the gunpod runs out of ammo, just grab a dead zentradi soldier's weapon and use that with the manipulator. Just like in Halo. :D In fact this is what the zentradi did in later eps: they had giants holding the gunpod like a machine gun and using it against humans.

There's actually some awkward scaling there, as the battrodi stands about 20 feet higher than the average zentradi.

Presumably that equates to larger hands and arms too.

Remember in the first ep when hikaru ran out of ammo after wasting it all on the regult? Then the giant came out, and Roy finished it off with a few shots in the back? I think maybe the gunpod has a burst mode or single shot mode to save ammo.

But when fighting against fast moving mecha you can the set it to fire rapid shots and because the enemies are bigger than the battroid you have a pretty good chance of taking them down with minium fuss.

No need for gunpod mdoes if the hand responds fast enough. You can rig the software to squeeze a round off and then release.

Actaully, they SHOULD have added a data link of some sort into the weapon so the "trigger" was electrical instead of mechanical. That would've made it far easier to use in fighter mode, given you a more versatile GERWALK/battroid weapon, made the gun overall more reliable, and prevented zentradi firearm theft, all at once.

- perhaps the zentradi were too used to fighting in space and this gave human an edge on ground?

That was actually mentioned very early in the series.

Focker observes shortly after the fold that they're a lot more dangerous in space.

I think in later episodes I remember seeing the gunpod fire beams. Was this a mistake or were the humans finally catching up to the aliens by studying and reverse engineering thier technology from downed enemy mecha?

Mistake.

Though there is DYRL's strike variant of the FAST packs that mounts a beam weapon in place of one of the missile pods.

Most plausable argument I can see for not making handheld energy weapons is power density. Humanity didn't ahve hte kind of supercapacitors needed for an energy rifle.

Heck, teh zentradi used mounted weapons mostly anyways. The Nousjadeul-Ger was the only thing that even HAD non-mounted weapons(of course, it and the QRau are the only things with hands in the first place...).

MAybe the reverse also happened but we didn't get to see it on tv: the zentradi had micronised spies who would steal information on the gunpod and then try to develop new armor of some sort to enhance thier mecha and soldier's armor resistance to the gunpod?

Possibly.

It's possible that the zentradi armor was "weighted" towards energy and explosive weapons, with very little attention paid to simple penetrators.

If the weapons they haul around are any indication, nobody was USING bullets anymore, so why armor against them?

I think in DYRL the use of shields must be pretty silly if the thing doesn't offer some kind of protection from fire. But you see them carrying these huge tower shields to cover thier bodies in the scene when they get scared of the minmay doll.

It's zentradi SWAT gear. It's not gonna stop anything really nasty, but it'll offer them some protection against lighter infantry weapons.