Stardust Memory ending

mikeszekely

cant say much for the other Gundams... but 0083 is one of my favorite series of all time. take away all the continuity problems w/ the other series. on its own, its fantastic... characterization, mecha designs, story, the soundtrack... they were all great. and i do agree that its a cashcow for bandai... those mechs are everywhere. i think they're kawamori designs.

And you are wrong. Last Blitz of Zeon (the compilation movie, which makes the OVA even worst) was release along side F91, not the OVA.

*** Warring! Long rambling post coming ***

Ok ,not to nitpick and cause friendly fire, as I really can't stand 0083 either, but the 0083 movie and F91 did not come out at the same time.

I first moved to Japan in September 1993, at which time F91 and the 0083 OVA and the movie had already come and gone, with Victory was well into its run -- so things were still pretty fresh in people's minds. F91 came out in March 1991, The 0083 OVA started soon after at the end of May and ran for a little over a year. The 0083 movie didn't come out until the end of August 1992. One thing worth noting though, the movie contains (I hear, I've never seen it as after the OVA I had had enough) almost no new footage and came out almost one month before the last OVA -- two things that kinda of pissed of a few Gundam-fan friends I had on campus.

Not that this really means anything, but coming when I did I think I saw just the fallout, and not the actual splitting of the fandom. While a few chose to carry on, most of the fans I knew at the time had already decided that Zeta would be the end of the story, with 0080 being a lucky fluke, ZZ, F-91, 0083 and even CCA(which I still like) were all kind of tossed into the rubbish with the same contempt as when your favorite band sells out. The general attitude was something like, well, I have my Gundam and all the junk coming out now is not for me. Of course it could be that, considering their ages, this could be viewed as just boys finally putting away their toys, or it could have really been the schism it felt like. I mean, I could pack the campus center movie room with a Meguri Ai showing, but no one would even stop to watch V Gundam when it was on the lounge's TV.

Last thing -- V Gundam is finally coming to DVD (in Japan) in January 2004! Still, the price of 66,300 yen at Amazon.co.jp for 13 discs is steep enough (yet much, much cheaper than any previous Gundam set) to keep me away. It does open the door for a R1 release though, which is what I'm hopping for.

cant say much for the other Gundams... but 0083 is one of my favorite series of all time. take away all the continuity problems w/ the other series. on its own, its fantastic... characterization, mecha designs, story, the soundtrack... they were all great. and i do agree that its a cashcow for bandai...

I would almost agree with you if it wasn't for The Ambiguously Gay Duo aka Kou and four-eye friend. :p:lol:

cant say much for the other Gundams... but 0083 is one of my favorite series of all time. take away all the continuity problems w/ the other series. on its own, its fantastic... characterization, mecha designs, story, the soundtrack... they were all great. and i do agree that its a cashcow for bandai...

I would almost agree with you if it wasn't for The Ambiguously Gay Duo aka Kou and four-eye friend. :p:lol:

Uhhhhh huh..... I don't see any of what you say but I'm strange that way.

lol.... I always think of Homer and Flanders. :lol:

Accumulated answers. :)

1. The ZZ Dublin Lawn Dart was practically the peak of NewType powers -- some Gundam fans still grumble about it. Only Amuro's bouncing of Axis may exceed this..

2. There really wasn't a need to show who the new captain was, as the Albion, AFAIK, did not take part in Zeta -- possibly because it was scraped? Although it may be interesting, but ultimately not very useful either.

3. IMO, 0083 sucks in story and continunity, but excel in action. If you really want character development, study 0080 -- it's still really good after so many years. :)

4. 08MST has its plotholes but at least they were obvious yet somewhat explanable; 0080's plotholes were more subtle but harder to explain away.

5. 0080 was about the only Gundam show to use "UN Spacy". They have since rewrote things so that the "UN Spacy" refers to something different and coralled 0080 back to "normal"...

6. Synapse's execution was, IIRC, in 0083 animation, as a 3-5 second on screen description, something like "XXXX 0083, Synapse executed for Treason". Blink and you'll miss it. That's what I recall, but I may be wrong here.

Lynx7725 Posted on Sep 28 2003, 12:08 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Synapse's execution was, IIRC, in 0083 animation, as a 3-5 second on screen description, something like "XXXX 0083, Synapse executed for Treason". Blink and you'll miss it. That's what I recall, but I may be wrong here.

On my copy it simply isn't there. Maybe on the eng dub AnimeVillage forgot to put it in?

No matter how bad Gundam continuity is, it is only a fraction of the convulted nightmare that is Star Trek.

Now granted, my UC Gundam experience so far has just been first Gundam and the One Year War OVAs, and all just this summer. But of those Gundams, I really have to say that 0083 wasn't that bad. A few things that didn't makes sense, a plot hole with a colony drop, but it was still an interesting bridge from the One Year stuff into what I know about Zeta and ZZ.

The 08th MS Team was, in my opinion, the worst of the One Year War stories. I don't see how the plot hole that is the RX-79(G) can be explained at all, and even if you can get around that, that was by far the worst cast ever! Karen had no personality, Eledore was a fruit, Michel was an annoying complainer, Terry was a "Oh, I'm a jinx, woe to me!" gloom and doom kind of character. And while Shiro demonstrated some admirable qualities, he also showed that he had no business in the miliatary. The ONLY thing that the 08th MS Team deserves credit for is it's very realistic portrayal of war and combat. But even then, 0080 outshines the 08th MS for more powerfully showing the effects of war.

Naturally, the best One Year War story is the original Gundam series.

0083 may have had it's plot issues, but c'mon, no series did more to wreck continuity than the 08th MS Team. I mean, wasn't the whole point of the original Gundam series that the Gundam was the only one of its kind? In 0080, you can kind of explain Alex as being that it was so late in the war, and it was just a test bed for new technology... but in the 08th MS Team we have a whole unit piloting Gundams!

Yeah, my biggest issue with 0083 was really what they were really targeting.

I'd just like to point out that in the original Gundam series, there was something like 8 prototype RX-78 (of multiple variants). We only really see the saga of Amuro's RX-78-2. By etension of the fact that there's 8 of them, you can assume that there's a ton of spare parts lying around to fix them when needed. The Ground Gundams are built out of those spare parts, which is why you don't see too many of them. In fact the reason why the EZ-8 exists is because of the LACK of spare parts to patch up Shiro's Gundam.

ALso by another extension, the company that built the RX-78 could have developed a ground only variant (like the ones in 8th MS Team), a all round unit (the one in Gundam 0079), and a space only unit (help? ), to better convince the feddies that they needed to gain ground in MS technology. Remember, at the start of the One Year War, the feddies didn't believe in MS, and they got badly mauled because of this.

I think we can all agree that the best thing 0083 has going for it is the mecha designs. Regardless of their placement in UC continuity, they're still some of my most favorite Gundam designs. Of course, the Froating Head Kawamori is partially to thank for that, is he not?

As for the rest of 0083...? I've found that it doesn't stand up very well after repeat viewing. I have a soft spot in my heart for 0083, since it was one of the OVA's that got me back into anime back in the mid 90's, but like Phantom Menace I can admit that 0083 isn't all it could have been. <_<

Edited by bsu legato

People, in the last scene when you see the Albion crew checking out their new Titans uniforms they are on the bridge of the Alexandria, check it for yourself.

Thats not the alexandria.... its an Alxandria class carrier called the "Al Giza" :)

I'd just like to point out that in the original Gundam series, there was something like 8 prototype RX-78 (of multiple variants). We only really see the saga of Amuro's RX-78-2. By etension of the fact that there's 8 of them, you can assume that there's a ton of spare parts lying around to fix them when needed. The Ground Gundams are built out of those spare parts, which is why you don't see too many of them. In fact the reason why the EZ-8 exists is because of the LACK of spare parts to patch up Shiro's Gundam.

The G variant of the G2 Gundam was not considered part of the 8 prototypes. The 8 prototypes were: G1 Gundam Marin Type. G2 The Gundam. G3, the Gray RX78. G4, the blue variant of the 2 new RX78s. G5, the red variant of the new RX78s. G6, The Mudrock Gundam seen in Zeonic Front. G7, nothing really special about it, just looks like something out of F91. And last... the G8, RX78 NT-1, better known as Alex.

ALso by another extension, the company that built the RX-78 could have developed a ground only variant (like the ones in 8th MS Team), a all round unit (the one in Gundam 0079), and a space only unit (help? ), to better convince the feddies that they needed to gain ground in MS technology. Remember, at the start of the One Year War, the feddies didn't believe in MS, and they got badly mauled because of this.

Actually.... the first Gundam and the G3 had close combat in mind, not all multi role. The Space units were the G4 and G5. The ground unit was the mass produced G variant. The desert variant was the Mudrock (G6). The aquatic unit was the G1. The all around unit seems to be the G7. And the newtype unit seems to be the G8, Alex.

All of those.... I think only the G variant, G1 and G6 were ground only units.

Edited by Abombz!!

I thought the RX-78-3 was built out of spare parts left over from when Amuro destroyed the other prototypes at Side 7.

Then again, the Gundam timeline is pretty messed up in parts...

I'm not sure either, the G3 was the new technology test bed unit I think. It was built along side the first 2. It was the first Gundam to use beam magnetic coating to improve speed.

I thought the RX-78-3 was built out of spare parts left over from when Amuro destroyed the other prototypes at Side 7.

I'm sure, when first Gundam came out, there were only supposed to be three Gundam prototypes.

In Kunio Okawara's MS Design Collection, the RX-78-1 is a prototype built at Jaburo, and the back story for the RX-78-3 is that it was built at Jaburo from the remains of the two Gundams destroyed during the Side-07 raid. Also, supposedly all three of the Gundams at Side-07 were RX-78-2s.

No back story is given for the RX-78-4, the RX-78-5, or the RX-78-7. The RX-78-6 got some back story for being included in Zeonic Front. Who knows, that means we might get back story for the 4 and 5, since they're both going to be in Encounters In Space.

Abombz!!, the aquatic Gundam is the RAG-79-G1. I don't know if that's considered Gundam G-1 or if the RX-78-1 is. Probably the RX-78-1, since the G-2, G-3, G-4 are all in the RX-78 line, and RX-79 implies that it came later. No back story is given for it, but it's part of KO's MS Design Collection, too. And I couldn't find anything that said that Alex is G-8, but if G-6 rolled out in November, and Alex was testing in December, it could very well be.

Despite being the "official" explaination, the idea that the RX-79[G]s were built from spare RX-78 parts is still a pretty weak attempt to explain why there are yet more new Gundams in another One Year War story.

I'm sure, when first Gundam came out, there were only supposed to be three Gundam prototypes.

In Kunio Okawara's MS Design Collection, the RX-78-1 is a prototype built at Jaburo, and the back story for the RX-78-3 is that it was built at Jaburo from the remains of the two Gundams destroyed during the Side-07 raid. Also, supposedly all three of the Gundams at Side-07 were RX-78-2s.

No back story is given for the RX-78-4, the RX-78-5, or the RX-78-7. The RX-78-6 got some back story for being included in Zeonic Front. Who knows, that means we might get back story for the 4 and 5, since they're both going to be in Encounters In Space.

Abombz!!, the aquatic Gundam is the RAG-79-G1. I don't know if that's considered Gundam G-1 or if the RX-78-1 is. Probably the RX-78-1, since the G-2, G-3, G-4 are all in the RX-78 line, and RX-79 implies that it came later. No back story is given for it, but it's part of KO's MS Design Collection, too. And I couldn't find anything that said that Alex is G-8, but if G-6 rolled out in November, and Alex was testing in December, it could very well be.

Despite being the "official" explaination, the idea that the RX-79[G]s were built from spare RX-78 parts is still a pretty weak attempt to explain why there are yet more new Gundams in another One Year War story.

We are getting back story on the G4 and 5 in the new manga "Lost War Chronicles:The end with a flash".

As for the RAG-79-G1.... I simply assumed it was the G1 because it had to be built over something. UNless the G1 turns out to be one of the FA, heavy or light armor variants. :huh:

This is the continuity that I was operating under

8 RX-78-1 Gundams built at Jaburo

3 are sent to Side 7, where they are upgraded into RX-78-2s

Char's lackeys attack, smashing two of the RX-78-2s (along with all but one of the Guncannons and Guntanks)

White Base flees to Luna 2, then heads to Earth with the sole surviving RX-78-2. The two damaged RX-78-2s are left on Luna 2.

RX-78-3 is pieced together from the two damaged Block 2 -78s, and is used as a testbed for new systems, like the magnetic coating that was applied to the surviving RX-78-2.

And now it all falls aparts thanks to Bandai adding 4th Gundam and 5th Gundam to the continuity, since RX-78NT1 was commonly known as G4, and was thought to have been the heavily modified 4th RX-78-1. But now, who the hell knows?

The 20 or so RX-79[G]s are supposedly built from the RX-78-1 spare parts lot. That's a lot of spare parts considering only 8 -78-1s were supposedly built.

The RAG-79-G1 might simply be a customized RAG-79 Aqua GM.

This is the continuity that I was operating under

8 RX-78-1 Gundams built at Jaburo

3 are sent to Side 7, where they are upgraded into RX-78-2s

Char's lackeys attack, smashing two of the RX-78-2s (along with all but one of the Guncannons and Guntanks)

White Base flees to Luna 2, then heads to Earth with the sole surviving RX-78-2. The two damaged RX-78-2s are left on Luna 2.

RX-78-3 is pieced together from the two damaged Block 2 -78s, and is used as a testbed for new systems, like the magnetic coating that was applied to the surviving RX-78-2.

And now it all falls aparts thanks to Bandai adding 4th Gundam and 5th Gundam to the continuity, since RX-78NT1 was commonly known as G4, and was thought to have been the heavily modified 4th RX-78-1. But now, who the hell knows?

The 20 or so RX-79[G]s are supposedly built from the RX-78-1 spare parts lot. That's a lot of spare parts considering only 8 -78-1s were supposedly built.

The RAG-79-G1 might simply be a customized RAG-79 Aqua GM.

You know how Bandai is. The more designs for them to possibly milk.... the better. :lol:

Yes Abombz,

You hit the nail on the head. I was wondering WHAT was bothering me when I saw those hangar pix of the PG '01. The LEGS! They seem just a little too fat and short compared to the MG. I expect there'll be plenty of Max Watanabe remodelling pictorials in Dengeki and hobby Japan before too long. :-)

Yes Abombz,

You hit the nail on the head. I was wondering WHAT was bothering me when I saw those hangar pix of the PG '01. The LEGS! They seem just a little too fat and short compared to the MG. I expect there'll be plenty of Max Watanabe remodelling pictorials in Dengeki and hobby Japan before too long. :-)

I noticed it right away because the legs on the GP01 were something I always found cool... because the other GUndam always had ugly legs. The GP01 had lean legs, the PG has standard Gundam legs.... start thin, and get fat as it approaches the feet. <_<

Lynx7725 Posted on Sep 28 2003, 12:08 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On my copy it simply isn't there. Maybe on the eng dub AnimeVillage forgot to put it in?

No matter how bad Gundam continuity is, it is only a fraction of the convulted nightmare that is Star Trek.

AnimeVillage did not forget to put in anything.

That line about Synapse's fate was a linear note on the LD's jacket. Some early fansubs took the liberty to insert that info into part of the sub, maybe that's how Lynx "remembered" it.

That line about Synapse's fate was a linear note on the LD's jacket. Some early fansubs took the liberty to insert that info into part of the sub, maybe that's how Lynx "remembered" it.

My bad folks, it wasn't on my copy either -- went back to look through. However, the Synapse execution is fairly well known from the liner notes, so that shouldn't be a major problem.

Why was Synapse executed? After General Bowen (who's fate is AFAIK unknown) Synapse is probably the next EFSF officer most familiar with the GP Project. My guess is that to preserve continuity he has to die...

That line about Synapse's fate was a linear note on the LD's jacket.  Some early fansubs took the liberty to insert that info into part of the sub, maybe that's how Lynx "remembered" it.

My bad folks, it wasn't on my copy either -- went back to look through. However, the Synapse execution is fairly well known from the liner notes, so that shouldn't be a major problem.

Why was Synapse executed? After General Bowen (who's fate is AFAIK unknown) Synapse is probably the next EFSF officer most familiar with the GP Project. My guess is that to preserve continuity he has to die...

I thought he was executed because he stole the GP03 Stamen for "personal" use, and going against orders. :huh:

I thought he was executed because he stole the GP03 Stamen for "personal" use, and going against orders. :huh:

Well, think about it. After he stole GP03, he was the only flag officer that we know of who did anything worthwhile vs the Delaz Fleet. Hard to execute someone for that, right? Dishonourable discharge or reduction in rank I can see, but execution...?

Well, think about it. After he stole GP03, he was the only flag officer that we know of who did anything worthwhile vs the Delaz Fleet. Hard to execute someone for that, right? Dishonourable discharge or reduction in rank I can see, but execution...?

But then again.... we all know the Rempuu was involved in the whole Delaz Fleet incident. <_<

Yes Abombz,

I noticed it right away because the legs on the GP01 were something I always found cool... because the other GUndam always had ugly legs. The GP01 had lean legs, the PG has standard Gundam legs.... start thin, and get fat as it approaches the feet. <_<

Personally I always prefered FP config and when I get it, thats how its staying B)

Yes Abombz,

Personally I always prefered FP config and when I get it, thats how its staying B)

Don't like the FB. I will probably kit bash it into half modes. :lol:

Yes Abombz,

was thinking though the original gundam has some pretty nice legs.

Yes Abombz,

Yeah... but its feet!! :o

Yes Abombz,

Yeah... but its feet!! :o

whats wrong with its feet? Looks no better or worse than any other gundam feet IMHO, but I guess I am not hardcore enough to really notice. I just think they all look nice and cool, cept for the wacky G-gundam stuff.