MGS 4 : Guns of the Patriots

wolfx

PS: duh...i meant age isn't kind TO snake. Can't seem to edit that.

Ladies and gentlemen...i present to you....Solid Snake.

metal-gear-solid-4-20050915072840184.jpg

Age hasn't been kind to good ol snake eh? Seriously, he retired just before the Shadow Moses incident in MGS1, they better have a good reason why he's still running around Destroying Metal Gears still in the post apocalytpic future.

This is the write up by IGN.com.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/651/651347p1.html

September 15, 2005 - Metal Gear Solid 4 is officially titled Guns of the Patriots. It's at TGS and our boys are floored. According to their reports, it goes something like...

Start.

The world is brown, broken. Buildings lie burnt and shattered. Streets are twisted and mangled. Some war ruined this place. Some war ruins it still.

Soldiers prowl the futuristic battlefield, boasting their technological might. Bipedal personal war machines saunter alongside heavily armored tanks, almost strutting with artificial bravado. Above, helicopters rumble, tearing the very air apart. Air... And smoke. And dust.

This one has life.

The world is shown from the first-person. Hideo is taunting us. Is this an FPS? No way! Snake appears suddenly. Old and gray, he leaps forward like an animal and out come the CQC maneuvers. Soldiers fall helplessly before him. In someway we're reminded of Frank Miller's The Dark Night Returns. Age is not synonymous with weakness, anyway.

With his victims before him and their comrades rapidly approaching, Snake makes a hasty retreat behind cover. He's hidings among some debris. Effective as he was, the fight still seems to have taken its toll. He's worn now. His body is showing it, too. Though the injections he self-administers seem to calm his ailments, it's obvious our hero has lived better days.

Nowhere to hide.

That's what Kojima promised at E3. Does he mean from Death? Can Snake not escape the reaper that comes for us all? Is his time nearly up? Or maybe Kojima was just talking about Otacon. Maybe Snake can't hide from him. The old nerd seems to have attached himself to a mini-gear. But before the vid-link conversation can carry on for too long, Snake vaults back out into the fray.

Suddenly he's being hunted again. He flips the Solid Eye personal viewer on to get his electronic bearings. Then he's off. Through the air, between bullets and away from pouncing gears, he goes. He's running. Snake's running. Running and running and running. Not hiding. If he stops, they'll kill him.

Just when we thought we'd die, the video ended. But the information is still coming. Here's a bit from Kojima's development studio...

Get the trailer here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1743

I dunno about you guys, but this is a big change from the old MGS. It being set in a post apocalyptic future kind of feels like this is the last of the franchise. Maybe next time in MGS5, we get "METAL GEAR SNAKE" where snake's brain is implanted into some robot body. :lol:

Edited by wolfx

Hmm, I can't help but wonder...that looks more like Ocelot than it does Solid Snake, especially with the mustache. Maybe I'm just being paranoid by Kojima's repeated attempts at fooling people into thinking they were going to play a game as Solid Snake, while repeatedly replacing him with other characters (I got used to Raiden, and playing as Big Boss was so freakin' awesome that it made up for everything), but I can't help but wonder...especially with Ocelot being possessed by Liquid. I can't wait until PS3's are out, have decent mod chips made for them, and then this game is released!

I didn't download the video, so I'm not sure exactly what was meant by Otakon communicating via mini-gear, but hopefully it's a nod to the Metal Gear Mk II from Snatcher, as Kojima has been far too neglectful in acknowleding one of his most awesome games.

Edited by Keith

This is all in the Next gen console thread... :)

Metal Gear Solid 4 screenshots from Famitsu...all running realtime on PS3 hardware.

mgs42.jpg

mgs43.jpg

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~alandaly/mgs42.jpg

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~alandaly/mgs43.jpg

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~alandaly/mgs41.jpg

Looks just as good if not better than E3 Killzone.  Video to be shown at TGS.

328391[/snapback]

Edited by Gaijin

Maybe Snake's health isn't doing so good because of Foxdie. I didn't play through MGS2 so I don't know if they covered any of the stuff about it from MGS.

MGS3 is an awesome game with great graphics, but man MGS4 looks incredible! :o

S*** I don't want to have to buy another game system...

I agree that does look a bit more like Ocelot than Snake. Kojima is so out there, who knows what he has planned.

All I know is I loved MGS3, and I'm a little dissapointed the next game can't stick inside that time frame. I really digged the Cold War back drop and I was hoping to find out what happened to Eva. (remember at the end of MGS3, they say Eva went missing in Vietnam.) You'd have cold war era Vietnam and China as a backdrop, could have been cool.

A futuristic setting... idunno, we'll see.

I have to admit it looks really good.

I'm glad to see their trying to switch things up, but I don't think they should have gone post-apocolyptic. I mean, when I think MG, I definitely don't think post-apocalyptic. :blink:

I'll probably still play it, but it just dosn't even seem like Metal Gear with an extremely old version of snake, in a post-apocalyptic world. And it scares me deeply.

I have to admit it looks really good.

I'm glad to see their trying to switch things up, but I don't think they should have gone post-apocolyptic.  I mean, when I think MG, I definitely don't think post-apocalyptic. :blink:

I'll probably still play it, but it just dosn't even seem like Metal Gear with an extremely old version of snake, in a post-apocalyptic world. And it scares me deeply.

329282[/snapback]

I didn't think Snake in a jungle fit the series either but it turned out wonderful. I can't wait for this, it looks EPIC!

It doesnt seem like post apocalyptic, more like a heavily war torn middle eastern country 15 to 25 years from now. all the buildings are heavily stylized with common middle eastern design.

I like the baby Metal Gear Rex's runig around. Makes me wonder if the full sized Rex will reappear, it never was totally destroyed.

B-but....Snake's an old geezer! :(

So i guess the whole world has their own metal gears launched nukes at each other or something. And pretty cool that the mecha following the convoy looks like a mass produced, toned down version of the metal gear rex.

Imagine like if every few minutes, Snake has got to get his medication otherwise his artrithis and lung cancer crops out and makes him un-stealth like. :D

Kojima did, that's how we got that freaking Raiden :angry:

I will play an old snake over that Raiden anyday

Raiden almost killed off the MGS series :p

I wished they just put snake to sleep. think it would be better if they give is a spin off name and have a new hero to play but having snake as your commander giving you orders he is old enough to atleast command by now.

329339[/snapback]

Just clone him again they still have big boss's DNA. Or actually have him get with one of the women in the games and have a kid that follows in his footsteps. They could also have Raiden and Liquid show up wearing assless chaps wait a minute.... never mind

Just clone him again they still have big boss's DNA. Or actually have him get with one of the women in the games and have a kid that follows in his footsteps. They could also have Raiden and Liquid show up wearing assless chaps wait a minute.... never mind

329343[/snapback]

I wouldn't mind having Meryl from mgs play the lead role, she was ok.

329343[/snapback]

Solid, Liquid and Solidus are all sterile.

Can I say its actually about time they made him an old guy? They talk about him during the cold war era, and they make these video games seem like its 2015 or something and it looks like he hasn't aged a bit....now we get this.

I admit the only game I ever played was MGS for the PS1....but still......I just don't get it.

Is policenauts a game or animation? i have been looking for it but cannot find it

329372[/snapback]

A detective/adventure game with some anime in it and Meryl is in it too, it appeared first on the Japanese 3DO in 93, PC 94 and then the Saturn and PS in 95. It`s the prequel to Snatcher both games are by Kojima.

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/SLPM-87290.html

I wished they just put snake to sleep. think it would be better if they give is a spin off name and have a new hero to play but having snake as your commander giving you orders he is old enough to atleast command by now.

329339[/snapback]

mgs4039bh4uz.jpg

Edited by Panon

You should wait for the new MGS3 that comes out in Nov. Lots of new features including a change in the camera system from top down to 3rd person (this should be interesting)

dayum that looks sweet!! I still haven't played MGS3 yet either!! dang it! I gotta get on top of that.  ;)  :p  :D  :lol:

329396[/snapback]

Edited by Gunbuster

ugh, that mustache is hideous on snake, give him a full beard or something like that. And that suit he's wearing now doesn't leave much to the imagination for an old guy. I would be cool if it was multiplayer, being the enemy and trying to take down snake.

While I'd love a remake of Snatcher, one that expands into the mission into Russia after the initial story, I don't blame the Metal Gear series for it not happening. For some strange reason, Kojima just doesn't seem interested. Maybe he's waiting for standards on sex & nudity to lighten up again so he can ecchi it up more than the original.

I think Snake is a bit old in MGS:4 first he has alot of white hair and that tells us hes been chasing Ray for a while now :lol: , what I dont get from MGS:2 is "The Patriots" they talk about them alot in it but we dont get them exaclty they sound so real though as if it was in RL, maybe MGS:4 will solve the answers to MGS:2. Kojima seemed intrested in MGS:2 then MGS:3 but I think he gave up on Acid since I didnt like t he Card style of it who knows we might find out when it comes out if Kojima actualy put some real effort cause hes been working on alot of projects I hope this one wont turn out bad Im not saying his other games suck I just hope it will be better than MGS: 2 and MGS:3 since MGS:3 was real cool surviving the Rain forest and everything.