Exterm-i-nate! Exterm-i-nate!

F-ZeroOne

It was kind of an educated guess, thats why I put the edit in that it might have been Genesis of the Daleks. I couldn't place the uniforms. You almost had me rewatching the tapes. Give me another try and maybe I'll do better than putting down 2 possible stories.

I'm hearing March for the new show, but rumors persist of Christmas day this year.

Then God only knows how long it will take before it reaches the States. I'm probably going to have to start watching PBS here in my state (Maryland) to see if they are still running Doctor Who on Saturday night. They were usually pretty good about getting new episodes and such.

Hey here's a few of the autographs I've managed to collect over the years:

post-26-1099275344_thumb.jpg

The new Dalek - same as the old one! :p

I wouldn't take those photos as being completely representive. Rumours of leaked storylines indicate that there could be one episode with a "classic" Dalek, and new Daleks appearing later on in the series, but I stress this is rumour, nothing definite yet.

If that is the new Dalek, its interesting that they've kept the "sink plunger" arm, always a source of mirth among the public...!

Edit: Forgot to mention: Daleks are "owned" by the estate of Terry Nation; its possible they didn't allow the BBC to make any radical changes, hence the "classic" alien pepperpot Overlords of the Galaxy shape...!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

• 4 months later...

Heres an update for those of you interested (that means you: Daleks, Cybermen, Yeti, the Autons, the Sea Devils... ;) )

Doctor Who returns to the BBC on March 26th, 19:00 GMT. Apparently it will be broadcast in Canada in early April as well. "Buzz" from various media types that have seen it is generally favorable - much has been made of the updated production values and snappy dialogue. The current Dr. Who magazine also features an unidentified alien from the new series on the cover, which is probably best described as "a blue space midget with a very large brain"... :rolleyes:

hey..is tom baker still alive...hope he does a cameo if so! :D

Tom Baker is very much alive and is currently providing voice narration for the exceptionally popular BBC comedy sketch series "Little Britain" (er... please don't ask me to describe this, non-UK MW-ers! :p Incidentally, some of the scripts are being worked on by at least one of the creators of another BBC comedy, The League of Gentlemen - not to be confused with the Alan Moore comic of a similar name)

I would personally doubt that a cameo will be possible, at least as the Doctor - it would probably destroy the fresh feeling the BBC is going for. It is possible he could appear heavily disguised, I guess.

Spaced/Shaun of the Dead fans - a Dr. Who script is known to have been looked at by Simon Pegg. I am very much hoping they are able to find a role for him!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

hey..is tom baker still alive...hope he does a cameo if so! :D

Tom Baker is very much alive and is currently providing voice narration for the exceptionally popular BBC comedy sketch series "Little Britain" (er... please don't ask me to describe this, non-UK MW-ers! :p Incidentally, some of the scripts are being worked on by at least one of the creators of another BBC comedy, The League of Gentlemen - not to be confused with the Alan Moore comic of a similar name)

I would personally doubt that a cameo will be possible, at least as the Doctor - it would probably destroy the fresh feeling the BBC is going for. It is possible he could appear heavily disguised, I guess.

Spaced/Shaun of the Dead fans - a Dr. Who script is known to have been looked at by Simon Pegg. I am very much hoping they are able to find a role for him!

They could always do like they did with Colin Baker. His first role in Doctor Who was as a Citadel Guard in the episode Arc of Infinity. Maybe they can have Tom Baker come back as some scholarly overseer working in the Panopticon overseeing the Matrix on Gallifrey, which is the repository of all Time Lord knowledge

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first episode a few weeks ago. It ain't too bad. I don't like the girl companion. She is too much of a British bimbo. I've always prefered the intelligent women the Doctor had as companions like Sarah Jane and Romana.

This girl is pretty much dumber Ace #2 if such a thing is possible.

Edited by ComicKaze

Its rumoured that there will be a May release for individual DVD releases, and in October a DVD box set. These will of course be Region 2 and PAL, but as Canada is getting the series in early April there might be a Candian NTSC Region 1 release, although I stress thats speculation on my part.

I just watch the first ep. and I really enjoyed it. The guy playing the Doctor did an excellent job of getting the character right. Overall, it was updated, but still felt like Doctor Who (nice to not see a rock quarry for once). I like that it's not a serial. The conspiracy theory stuff was a lot of fun, though it'd have been nice to have seen pictures of earlier incarnations.

I liked the companion. I think Comickaze is very wrong in his assessment. She's definitely an everyman (everywoman?), which is what the Doctor's companion needs to be. She certainly didn't come across as stupid or incompetent, just your average person (albeit, a pretty hot one) who managed to keep a fairly level head through-out the crisis (especially compared to all the other humans). I also thought she was very well acted.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it, the Doctor was good, very modern and very arrogant. The monsters and special effects ranged from comically cheap to pretty good. But Billie Piper was just dull to watch and I don't think she's really that attractive either.

Next week they seem to be going to Milliways. :p

The irony for me is that because of work, I got to watch it about two hours after everyone else... :rolleyes:

I liked it overall. Some of the FX are a little dodgy, but even Buffy the Vampire Slayer didn't have fantastic effects all the time.

It will probably require a little adjustment for those mostly familiar with previous incarnations of the series - its very fast moving, and a little disorientating. The Doctor isn't introduced in a drawn-out sequence - hes just suddenly there - and then, just as suddenly, gone again for a bit.

Theres a bit of post-modern irony here and there, which people will either smile at or grimace at.

Theres a lot of humour there - theres no regeneration sequence, but instead a nifty comic line from Ecclestone that makes reference to one of his most noticable physical features.

The ninth Doctor is quite a mercurial character - one moment hes all what we in England call "cheeky chappie" and the next deadly serious. Hes possibly the only Doctor yet that would go out clubbing one moment and fight off Daleks the next.

Its probably a bit too early to give a definitive view of Rose yet - this episode was mainly about setting things up, so hopefully she'll come more into her own as things go on. She is definitely a bit more pro-active than previous companions though.

Pretty good, then - and I suspect will get even better from here on in. And SF fans have a new chat-up line to try now, too...

"Forgot to mention - it also travels through time, too!"

Oh, yes, Shaun of the Dead fans - Simon Pegg will be turning up later on in the series...

Guest Bromgrev

Watched it last night. I'll give it a few more weeks, but it didn't grab me with the first episode. I don't know if I'll get used to a doctor with a regional accent, even if 'lots of planets have a North'. I know I won't get used to Billy Piper. She's not only as unattractive as when she was last on TV, she's now fat, as well. And she's too much herself to ever become the character. <_<

I quite liked the SFX, not too over the top. But they should have had a regeneration sequence ...

Luckily, I just got the Blakes 7 season 2 DVDs, so I got to watch that to cheer me up! :D

Edited by Bromgrev

I quite enjoyed it, ok it wasn't perfect but nor was the original show. Big budgets and state of the art effects aren't always an improvement when remaking a popular but cheap and cheerful show [cough] Godzilla [/cough] but in this case they don't appear to have done any harm.

I liked the effects, I liked the humour, maybe the two leads aren't my first choices for the roles but then I was never 100% sold on either Peter Davidson or Sylvester McCoy but I still kept watching.

On the "is Rose a bimbo?" question I'm siding with ComicKaze at the moment, I mean her boyfriend is replaced with a plastic duplicate...and she didn't even notice? :blink:

I liked the effects, I liked the humour, maybe the two leads aren't my first choices for the roles but then I was never 100% sold on either Peter Davidson or Sylvester McCoy but I still kept watching.

Mcoy and Davidson were my first intro to the Doctor and therefore great =)

One thing I dont get I know this is suposed to be the ninth Dr but is this series a Continuation from the orginal tv or a Remake?

Example did they mention the Auton Invasion of the 70's from Spear Head from Space (The first 3rd dr story)?? or is this the first time the Auton hav invaded earth???

How many eps will this series comprise and how long was each ep??

I liked it, I was raised on the Tom Baker Dr Who and this guy seems to bring that back to a great degree. His companion, while a bit flaky, still seems to be a good companion for the good Dr. I wonder if they will run into U.N.I.T. at all, though I realize the actor who played the colonel is now far too old to do much. It does indeed seem to be a continuation, and while the regen isn't shown he does make reference to it, albeit nto directly, when he looks in the mirror and comments on the new face, so I think he regenerated only recently.

Mcoy and Davidson were my first intro to the Doctor and therefore great =)

One thing I dont get I know this is suposed to be the ninth Dr but is this series a Continuation from the orginal tv or a Remake?

Example did they mention the Auton Invasion of the 70's from Spear Head from Space (The first 3rd dr story)?? or is this the first time the Auton hav invaded earth???

How many eps will this series comprise and how long was each ep??

They don't reference the earlier auton story, but neither do they in any negate it. The current series is officially a continuation.

It's 13, 45 minute episodes. The ratings on the first episode were really good, so I guess they've already signed for a second season of 13 more. Unfortunately, Ecclaston has already said that he's not going to be sticking with the series because he's afraid of being typecast.

Edited by JELEINEN

I liked it, I was raised on the Tom Baker Dr Who and this guy seems to bring that back to a great degree. His companion, while a bit flaky, still seems to be a good companion for the good Dr. I wonder if they will run into U.N.I.T. at all, though I realize the actor who played the colonel is now far too old to do much. It does indeed seem to be a continuation, and while the regen isn't shown he does make reference to it, albeit nto directly, when he looks in the mirror and comments on the new face, so I think he regenerated only recently.

Haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to one of these days. As for the U.N.I.T organization being brought into play, it is not impossible. Alastair Lethbridge-Stewart may be too old to come out of retirement, but if you recall the story "Battlefield", U.N.I.T.'s new commander was Winifred Bamberra.

Guest Bromgrev

I just watched episode 2. All I can say is they'd better get some sort of plot going, or I quit. Oh, and what is Billy piper's function, other than screaming and whining and 'phoning her mother? <_<

I just watched episode 2. All I can say is they'd better get some sort of plot going, or I quit. Oh, and what is Billy piper's function, other than screaming and whining and 'phoning her mother? <_<

Same as every other companion: a foil for the Doctor.

Guest Bromgrev

Yeah, but whatever happened to the brainy chicks he used to hang out with? It all went downhill after Bonnie Langford ... :unsure:

Yeah, but whatever happened to the brainy chicks he used to hang out with? It all went downhill after Bonnie Langford ... :unsure:

They've always been foils, and the truth of it is that Rose, so far, has been rather intelligent. And since it obviously went over your head, I'll explain what happened in episode 2 for you (and I'll try to use small words):

When people are all of a sudden in very strange situations or different groups they get what is called "culture shock." This is what happened to Rose and it happens to people in the real world all the time. The fact that she was not only capable enough to cope ("You two go pollinate, I'm going to talk with Michael Jackson."), but she kept her wits about her (only one other companion ever noticed being able to communicate with aliens in English).

Personally, I thought the episode was great. It was as cheesey as Doctor Who has ever been, but presented so well that I didn't care. It was fun! I also liked the little jokes (the Ipod bit) and it had some good lines (the one mentioned above, f'rex). The metaplot bits are also good, as we get a bit more information about the war mentioned in ep. 1. I think there's a lot of rampant speculation that the Daleks were behind it (he avoids saying who he fought against in this episode).

I greatly enjoyed epsiode 2 whilst watching it, though as soon as you actually stop and think about any part of it for a moment it all sort of falls apart... :lol: But cracking entertainment with some wonderful lines ("This is called an... i-pod!" - and no, for those that haven't seen it, its not what you're expecting... ;) )

Interesting that they seem to have introduced a bit of a back-story to the Doctor. I also feel that the Daleks are going to turn out to be the culprits, though The Master must be an outside chance...

Incidentally, I got to meet Tom Baker today at a cult TV event in Birmingham, England. :lol: Will post a pic of what he signed for me when I finally get the cable that connects my phone to a PC... (yes, I have bluetooth, and yes, I have a headache from tyring to make it work!)

As for episode 2, I'm not happy. I want to see more snobby people in big cresent outfits and more time lord trials and adventures on the most myseterious and powerful planet in the galaxy.

To be honest, this series feels very cheap and I understand it is low budget but the CG is pretty poor. Even the opening titles are bland and look like they belong to the 1989 series in their technical sophistication.

It's also a little too goofy (why did the garbage can burp?). I fondly recall the John Pertwee era Terror of the Autons and damn, that was frightening in black and white when the businessman was swallowed alive by the furniture. That was much more impressive than the garbage can (sorry - rubbish bin).

The old Doctor Who managed to make campy special effects look absolutely horrifying and mystifying. The new one is just too goofy (I mean, how stupid does Rose have to be not to see that her boyfriend is now plastic?) and I really detest Rose as a companion. I've always liked the Doctor's intelligent women companions like Sarah Jane and Romana. Rose is like a dumber Ace.

Back to my qualms about the pilot, when the Doctor visits Rose's apartment he looks at his ears and complains about them like it's the first time he's seen them - okay, so this regeneration maybe recent...but then the conspiracy theorist goes and shoes Rose all these pics of the Doctor (all Eccleston) from the past, probably long experienced after he met Rose...how would the Conspiracy theorist manage to track down only the pics of this incarnation of the Doctor which interestingly is pretty new in his time.

There was a really intense quality to the filming of Doctor Who, this series seems too bland and digital. I also wish it were serialized.

• 3 weeks later...

Next Saturday, BBC One, UK, 19:00, GMT.

They're back.

Clue:

"Whats the nearest town?"

"Salt Lake City."

"Population?"

"1 million."

"All dead!"

And rumour has it, stairs are not going to be a problem this time... :ph34r:

And a few thoughts regards the new series, now that I've seen more than the pilot: I'm enjoying it. Quite a bit. I think I may have said before, that if you think about any of the storylines too much, they tend to fall apart, but you don't really notice while you're watching. One thing that takes a bit of getting used to is the pace of this series; it tends to carry you along before you have a chance to settle. In that respect, its like a ride, and like a ride, its pretty good fun while it lasts...