Hasegawa VF-1A Build-up

Ido

049.jpg

050.jpg

I'll do some minor fixing on the little defects the primer its showing then I'll start assembling head, arms and gunpod.

The Intakes are a little crappy, I'll try a different approach next time. :(

Can't wait to start painting this baby.

Looks fantastic so far...

Great build up!  Yep, painting & decaling is the best part to come :D

333518[/snapback]

Its very nice for me hear this from you, I gived up on modeling some years ago but after seeing your vf-0s build-up I really wanted to return and build nice models as yours, thanks, this hobby really needs skilled ones who can transmit their passion to others.

Here what its missing, gunpod, head, arms, all glued and with putty applied.

051.jpg

Meanwhile I painted some other little parts, like the laser cannon, head visor and arms sensors/lights (what the hell they are???)

052.jpg

I tried your tip kazuki and washed the black part of the head with silver enamel mixed with flat base and it worked out, thanks.

Today I received a package from hobbylinc, I ordered the tenax plastic construction kit, it cames with this little toy, it should be more pratical then touch and flow applicator.

Too bad there isn't anything left to weld togheter with it. :p

post-2092-1128534657_thumb.jpg

Hi guys, I started to paint the base colors, surely paint white over gray its a pain, I got two little accidents that slowed the things too. Aniways the most its done, still have to paint the legs and gunpod then I'll paint the other shades.

Have you some suggestions about how to place long and thin decals like the wing ones?

I noticed you haven't put the Vertical Stabilisers on yet, so here is a question to the masses.

Do you glue things like the vertical stabilisers, antenna and side intakes ( the ones on the outside of the main engine intakes - the ones with the round dent in the front) before or after painting?

Personally I put all this stuff on first.

Looking good by the way. And yes painting white over grey bites, as I am finding out on my booster.

Berttt

I'm glad I'm checking up on this thread as I'm pretty much doing the same kit here.

I've already did the wash for the landing gear bay since it'll be tough when I'm already painting with the airbrush etc to get it all in again.

One question though, how do I get that ugly crease line down the middle of the cockpit canopy to go away? I already used like a 2000+ sandpaper to try to get it off but ended up scratching it!! :o

I noticed you haven't put the Vertical Stabilisers on yet, so here is a question to the masses.

Do you glue things like the vertical stabilisers, antenna and side intakes ( the ones on the outside of the main engine intakes - the ones with the round dent in the front) before or after painting?

Personally I put all this stuff on first.

Looking good by the way. And yes painting white over grey bites, as I am finding out on my booster.

Berttt

337131[/snapback]

I suggest to glue them before prime-paint, I also poured some tenax in the gaps to ensure strenght, unluckly the chest pieces falled from my hands and one of the fin snapped cause the piece landed on it.... D'oh! I glued it on place with CA now I hope it will not show up too much. The antennas on the front fuselages leaved a gap so I had to apply some putty. Surely these pieces are really thick, so if you don't use the photo-etch parts thin them at least a little. I think that the main advantages about gluing them before are:

1- easier to paint

2- they look actually part of the fuselage

3- You can use liquid glues = more strenght

4- easier to sand and thin

hj_0501a2.jpg

Next time I want to use the photoetch parts, if you use them you must place them before paint, cause you have to drill 0,5mm holes and fill the gaps.

Today I plan to apply a thin coat of clear to protect the thing before airbrushing what its left to airbrush and do the wash.

Cloudy weather here, so taking good pictures its hard. :(

The first wash its done, now I have to clear coat and apply decals.

I didn't used the large decals for the tailfins and stabilizers, I prefered to just airbrush the base colors.

post-2092-1129880336_thumb.jpg

Finally finished with applyng decals, I didn't apply the ones really close to the cockpit seal, I'll apply them later. Still have to apply microsol on what I have just placed and leave them be a night.

056.jpg

The decal on the airbrake its a little ruined, I'll touch up it after the seal coat with a brush, its shouldn't stand out a lot in the end.

About the annoyng NO STEPs, they are easy to apply but very boring:

1- they are all in row on the paper so with a ruler you can trim a lot of useless film in a moment.

2- Apply 2-3 of them at time, its not hard to do and You'll finish in less then a couple of hours without become crazy.

Forgot to mention a thing:

Tough this model kit includes both kakizaki and Max numbers and name decals it doesn't includes their colors guide and decals, I have taken them from my Super VF-1A kit.

Don't worry Ido, the brake decal always does that, there's no way around it, just make sure to put lots of solvent on it so it conforms to the part and then put some wash on it. Those recessed areas should be dark anyways.

With the winter its even tougher taking pictures, argh!! So instead of taking crappy pics I prefer don't waste time, as soon I get a sunny day I'll do some pictures.

The valk itself its all decaled and washed, I also tinted the clear parts.

After Open the cockpit I noticed the HUD black part come out crappy looking, luckly It will be covered by the canopy, must really take more care of the cockpit area.

Currently I'm assembling the landing gears, the tires and doors have a lot of injection marks in weird places, how boring... Today I'll let the putty dry, must get some mori mori putty next time I shop from Raibow ten.

Not yet weathered, semi-gloss valk

post-2092-1131372330_thumb.jpg

Here the clear parts, classic red/blue for the light and a mix of red/orange for the sensors, I tinted the wing's root lights with smoke like in the boxart illustration. (see also tenjin book cover)

post-2092-1131372340_thumb.jpg

What I'm doing right now.

post-2092-1131372361_thumb.jpg

What I like is how you manage to keep it so clean looking, even during the building process and pre weathering. I'm just wreckless abandon with my paints and don't really hold back with the paint. So how much work in terms of hours to get up to this point, Ido? :unsure:

What I like is how you manage to keep it so clean looking, even during the building process and pre weathering.  I'm just wreckless abandon with my paints and don't really hold back with the paint.  So how much work in terms of hours to get up to this point, Ido?  :unsure:

342989[/snapback]

I hate dirt looking, I pay lot of attention on the paint job as the seams and other plastic faults, unluckly I doesn't look so clean as it does in the pics cause the camera can't catch the minor imperfections and details. as far it looks decent I'm happy, my attempted yf-19 looks garbage compared to it.

I'm really taking my time, dunno how much hours..... I started it on august the 26th, some days I spent a lot of time on it some days few hours, some days didn't even touched it, as I'm a beginner I'm moving very carefully to avoid big mistakes, I suppose I'll finish the next models quicker.

I have to pay a lot of attention with clear parts and canopy expecially cause its a totally new field for me and I canopies aren't easy stuff.

BTW, I finished the landing gears stuffs few hours ago, tomorrow I'll start to paint it, I'd like to to add some red portion to the doors interior like in this picture

post-2092-1131394939_thumb.jpg

Dyrl game's intro show red interiors for airbrake and flaps so it shouldn't be so uncanon.

Nice work Ido. Nice to see Kakizaki getting some love.

Thanks

A lot of people does a lot of vf-1 already so I tought about doing a color scheme done more rarely. ;)

• 1 month later...

Finally the situation is returning normal, I switched my adsl provider and fixed the PC, the model its finished I'm just waiting a sunny day to take pictures.

Sorry I couldn't update the WIP but it was a terrible month...