What I LIKE about Macross 7

Agent ONE

Ok, here I go:

Macross 7 good points:

Mecha: VF-17, VF-11 (Armored one not included, the big gun simply spoils this design, the rest is ok), VF-22, VF-5000, are great

Ships: the frigates, carriers, factory, cementery and academy ships are awesome, the Macross class not included because the bridge and the stupid hands suck, the rest of the "entertainment" ships just suck big time as also the enemy ones.

Characters: ok, here's a tough one, but Gamlin is ok, Max too, the bridge bunnies and Emilia, no one else....

Story: no comments since this is a "good things only" tread

Music: I like most of the soundtracks, I would have loved some background music for battles and stuff, not only Basara all the time.

Enemies: no comments... you know why...

Overall: -10/10 :lol:

Edited by macplus

9. was a guy and always talked about the farm dream he had. if thats the one your refering to

325238[/snapback]

All how you look at it. Gepelnitch's host body WAS female, even if the character was male.

325240[/snapback]

The voice actor must be female too.

325249[/snapback]

its not uncommon for women to voice act male roles in other anime.

325257[/snapback]

Yeah FYI the voice actor for Frieza on the english dub of DBZ is female I believe her name is Linda Young. and on Inuyasha there is a femine voiced badguy that swings a snake like sword voiced by a woman. I though he was a woman at the time until I noticed there were no boobies and that was when I realized that she was a HEwhen Inuyasha and Maroku had that look on their faces as in (gasp she's a guy that's hitting on us). I wonder if that character was voiced by a female actor in the orignal Japanese version of Inuyasha? :D

Basara, Mylene, Gubaba, Veffidas, Ray, these characters are more fun than in any other Macross.

The concept of spiritia makes Macross a million times more interesting. We get to find out more about the protoculture.

The music rocks. I'm up to episode 44 now. Max in a VF-22, HG thinks they can top that?

Wasn't there an episode where we see the soldiers getting possesed by protodevlin including Gigile and Gepelnich?

watched it, loved most of it. (really starting to hate Planet Dance, but that's a diff story)

great points about M7:

* Mylene's character development

* Big-ass gun on the FA VF-11 (sorry, I'm a sucker for big guns)

* color of Basara's valk (seemed like the right shade of red)

....umm.....I can't really think of anymore that everybody else has covered, but A1 starting a "Good points about M7" thread? that's just priceless!

Well, I know I am in the very small minority, but I am one of those people who genuinely enjoys Macross 7. As for the thing I like best about it, though...

- The VF-17 Nightmare, one of my all-time favorite Valkyrie designs.

- Max's exceptional confidence and his ability to constantly outthink and outmaneuver the enemy forces.

- Gamrin's ongoing character development from "I hate this (music)" to "I understand this and now see its importance and will fight to protect it."

- The belief that music and the passion which it can instill in people can change the way they feel about things.

But most importantly of all...

- To absolutely never, ever, ever give up, no matter how bleak the situation might look.

There it is, it's also in the next episode (45). Gepelnich is/was Advisor Ivano Gunther.

Can someone play "the Crying Game" for me? Ivano Gunther sounds like a man's name to me... Come to think of it though, wasn't there a scene or two where he/she/it is dressed in armor with giant spikey things on it's shoulders? I guess that shoulda clued me in too. So sad. I'm gonna go watch some Vandread episodes so I can feel better about my ability to judge male from female anime characters. Maybe ol' Geppy is a female so when she possessed Ivano it femmed Ivano up?

Edited by jenius

There it is, it's also in the next episode (45). Gepelnich is/was Advisor Ivano Gunther.

Can someone play "the Crying Game" for me? Ivano Gunther sounds like a man's name to me... Come to think of it though, wasn't there a scene or two where he/she/it is dressed in armor with giant spikey things on it's shoulders? I guess that shoulda clued me in too. So sad. I'm gonna go watch some Vandread episodes so I can feel better about my ability to judge male from female anime characters. Maybe ol' Geppy is a female so when she possessed Ivano it femmed Ivano up?

325886[/snapback]

I always though Gunther was a "metrosexual"...

They'll all come around to Basara's way, sooner or later. See, even A1 is singing "hey everybody, kokoro-no-ma mani, sakebu-oze, jumpin on the planet dance!" in a horrible, in his singing voice with a bubble of spiritia around him.

SPOILERS for the last episode below.....

Macross 7 keeps getting better. I just saw the last episode. It was amazing. There are some things I'm confused about. Maybe after the OVA and the movie I'll understand better. Why did it take Gamlin's spiritia to wake up Basara? Why did it take Sivil's spiritia to get through to Gepelnich (is that the right spelling)? It's been a couple of days since I've seen the last episode, but why did Gepelnich decide the spiritia farm project was over and that she (he) should become a spiritia black hole? I guess it's time to finally read the newbie thread now that I'm through the spoilers. There's so much more to Macross than I thought there would be. It's great. I love Sivil!

SPOILERS!!

....Why did it take Gamlin's spiritia to wake up Basara?

It was the combined spiritia of all the people in the crowd outside, who were waiting for Basara to come out already, get in the valk and show everyone how it's done. B))

Why did it take Sivil's spiritia to get through to Gepelnich (is that the right spelling)?

Sivil, instead of absorbing spiritia, tried to create it and then discharge it. So her spiritia combined with Basara's "got through" to Gepelnitch in a way, but actually it was more to do with Gepelnitch seeing and finally realising what they were trying to do. Gep then coined the phrase "Spiritia Creation!!"

It's been a couple of days since I've seen the last episode, but why did Gepelnich decide the spiritia farm project was over and that she (he) should become a spiritia black hole?

326504[/snapback]

He never actually "decides" this. That is what his body does, apparently. Even s/he was surprised at what was happening, as it was ruining his farm project thing.

Why did it take Gamlin's spiritia to wake up Basara?

It wasn't his spiritia. It was his singing.

Basara's soul simply refused to let his songs be butchered any further by Gamlin's attempts to sing them, and returned from thr afterlife to stop it.

:p

Seriously, Renato's explanation is quite likely it. Gamlin was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Only it was more like he lifted enough straw off the load to unbreak the camel's back. But now the analogy doesn't work anymore.

But thinking about it, there's actually a small message here. Gamlin was just one person. He wasn't musically talented, remarkably close to Basara, or anything like that. Outside of his Valkyrie, he was just one more person. But he was the one more person they needed.

Everybody's important. Sure it's a tired cliche, but it's a GOOD tired cliche.

... why did Gepelnich decide the spiritia farm project was over and that she (he) should become a spiritia black hole?

It's a reflex that happens when Gepelnitch's spiritia gets too low. Not a conscious action.

Edited by JB0

Yup, those answers are quite correct. Speaking of the ending, love everything about it. The return of Accoustic Totsugeki Love Heart, the montage with the surprise of Docker surviving, Aurora, etc. very awesome.

This thread is going pretty well... I knew we could have a civil M7 thread. Funny thing though, a great many things I hated about it are listed in the favorite category for some people. One more thing I did like was the end credit song. That was the ONLY song in the series that I liked.

This thread is going pretty well... I knew we could have a civil M7 thread.  Funny thing though, a great many things I hated about it are listed in the favorite category for some people.  One more thing I did like was the end credit song.  That was the ONLY song in the series that I liked.

326851[/snapback]

Well of course it's civil... you're not flaming it... :rolleyes: This thread could have happened long before if Roy would have gave you that warning way earlier and all without your help.

Edited by >EXO<

This thread is going pretty well... I knew we could have a civil M7 thread.  Funny thing though, a great many things I hated about it are listed in the favorite category for some people.  One more thing I did like was the end credit song.  That was the ONLY song in the series that I liked.

326851[/snapback]

Well of course it's civil... you're not flaming it... :rolleyes: This thread could have happened long before if Roy would have gave you that warning way earlier and all without your help.

326857[/snapback]

No way man, I am not the only one who craps on M7.

I could have sworn Gepernitch AND his host body were both male with feminine qualities.  In the ending scenes, don't we see a topless Gepernitch and he's clearly a man?

326877[/snapback]

I wouldn't say clearly... lol. But yeah he had a male body...

gepernitch02.jpg

I could have sworn Gepernitch AND his host body were both male with feminine qualities.  In the ending scenes, don't we see a topless Gepernitch and he's clearly a man?

326877[/snapback]

I wouldn't say clearly... lol. But yeah he had a male body...

gepernitch02.jpg

326880[/snapback]

Yeah.. Sure is masculine.

anything you guys can say to make me feel less gay about saying this dude was a hot lady is greatly appreciated. Thanks Keith and everyone who has referred to Geppy as a "her." I appreciate it. :)

I thought of something else I liked (very briefly but then didn't like as it played out). That scene where the Monster fires one massive volley and rips the top right off a building. While kinda dumb that was still cool, made me wish we'd seen more hot destroid action.

anything you guys can say to make me feel less gay about saying this dude was a hot lady is greatly appreciated.  Thanks Keith and everyone who has referred to Geppy as a "her."  I appreciate it. :)

I thought of something else I liked (very briefly but then didn't like as it played out).  That scene where the Monster fires one massive volley and rips the top right off a building.  While kinda dumb that was still cool, made me wish we'd seen more hot destroid action.

327055[/snapback]

Look at the bright side: It's probably the only Monster in UNSpacey history to fire on an enemy and NOT get blown up.

anything you guys can say to make me feel less gay about saying this dude was a hot lady is greatly appreciated.  Thanks Keith and everyone who has referred to Geppy as a "her."  I appreciate it. :)

I thought of something else I liked (very briefly but then didn't like as it played out).  That scene where the Monster fires one massive volley and rips the top right off a building.  While kinda dumb that was still cool, made me wish we'd seen more hot destroid action.

327055[/snapback]

what I like about Mac 7 is how amusing on how it can affect people in more than one way. :lol:

edit: to help you feel alittle better. think Gepelnitch's was femine if not female (not sure if the spirits that took over the original bodies had a defined sex and same for the original bodies, not like they want their bio weapons to reproduce if something went wrong.) in nature so it made guther (a man) more femine.

also your not the first person to think a person is a female when its a man dressed as a woman. "looks at some of the muary shows where they had that guess which gal is a guy"

Edited by Zentrandude

Another awesome moment for 7 was the whole situation around Physica, his death, and Gamlin going to report it to his wife after. Sure you could see his death coming a mile away, but the imagery was beautiful. Then his wife having already moved on without so much as a note to him.. That's 100% pure drama!

Edited by Keith

That Gepelnitch was a really hot dude!

My favorite parts of Macross 7 are the characters and the story. The "monsters" seemed out of place first but once it was explained about the Evil series it fit perfectly.

And there's just something about Basara the brings people to him. By the end of the series I became a big fan.

Gubaba rulez!

Edit: Gubaba? Wtf was I thinking?!

FIRE!

Edited by LinxCrossq