Macross PS2 Game

LordSixx

the wut wut :blink:

324836[/snapback]

A boot disk that persuades the PS2 valid region software has been inserted, and a case replacement that lets you change the disk without opening the drive, thereby avoiding a region check on new disk insertion.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know if there is any difference in the import Macross 3D shooter games? Are some Pal? or NTSC?

They're all NTSC, as Japan is NTSC.

I don't know if you're asking teh diffrence between the VFX games, M3, and the PS2 game, or what.

i both versions of the PS2. I think the new one would be easier to mod, but would it play the game?

If mod'ed, it should play everything but M3 and VO, what with one being a DC game and the other being Windows.

Unless you're in PAL, which I guess you are. I honestly have no idea how that affects things on the PS2.

Thanks for the replies guys! :) I live in USA, and indeed this is NTSC territory. The game in the other hand appears to be PAL, and hopefully it will arrive soon (got it on ebay).

I have both PS2 versions: The fat one, and the slim one. What I want to know, is which PS2 should I modify in order to be absolutely certain the game will work. I've been reading articles in the internet, and it seems like both of them would be very easy and safe to modify(without opening the console). Now which one would work? I have no idea.

Maybe, If you guys could recommend the most efficient way to mod this systems I would greatly apreciate it. That way I can be a 100% sure about what should I buy for either system.

My PS2 Versions are:

SCPH70012 (slim PS2)

SCHP39001 (fat PS2)

I would rather mod the PS2 without having to open the console and void the manufacturers warranty.

Thanks in advance,

V!C

editedh grrrammmaaarr.....

Edited by vlenhoff

Thanks for the replies guys! :)  I live in USA, and indeed this is NTSC territory. The game in the other hand appears to be PAL, and hopefully it will arrive soon (got it on ebay).

The game CAN'T be PAL.

Macross games don't get out of Japan, and Japan uses NTSC.

WOW WOW WOW, sorry, I got confused... It's all gravy baby.

Does anybody have tried this game on a slim PS2? Does it work with the swap-magic fix?

Thanks!

V!C

Thanks for the replies guys! :)  I live in USA, and indeed this is NTSC territory. The game in the other hand appears to be PAL, and hopefully it will arrive soon (got it on ebay).

The game CAN'T be PAL.

Macross games don't get out of Japan, and Japan uses NTSC.

328691[/snapback]

I haven't done anything with the slim PS2 yet, but I've heard dandy things about this set: Slim PS2 kit, and others of the same type.

Basically it's the safest thing you can get, as it's easily removeable and cannot damage any part of your system (unless, that is, you drop one of the plastic pieces into the laser bay, which the instruction manual for the kit shows you how to avoid).

I haven't  done anything with the slim PS2 yet, but I've heard dandy things about this set: Slim PS2 kit, and others of the same type.

Basically it's the safest thing you can get, as it's easily removeable and cannot damage any part of your system (unless, that is, you drop one of the plastic pieces into the laser bay, which the instruction manual for the kit shows you how to avoid).

328783[/snapback]

Holds the door switch down, I take it?

Always thought that should be fairly easy to do. Hell, I think that was part of why the PS2 had a tray loader to begin with, to avoid swap tricks.

Always thought that should be fairly easy to do. Hell, I think that was part of why the PS2 had a tray loader to begin with, to avoid swap tricks.

328785[/snapback]

That, among other things. From reading the instruction manual, I'm guessing there are three different switches which need to be blocked- One in front, two in back.

328785[/snapback]

That, among other things. From reading the instruction manual, I'm guessing there are three different switches which need to be blocked- One in front, two in back.

329334[/snapback]

So Sony DID try to make it hard to do disk swaps!

Clever of them to tuck in the extra switches.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this topic a few months back too.

I bought a modchip and went through hell trying to get it working. Recently I discovered that certain folks had created some software exploits which, when executed allow one to hijack the boot sequence of the PS2.

I just finished playing as a matter of fact. NO modchip needed.

Here ya go! http://www.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261743

enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Do what I did and just buy a japanese PS2 :D It wasn't so expensive, only around 150 dollars ;D No more worrying about stupid mod chipcs that might burn out or become obsolete :D

335674[/snapback]

That's what I did. I took the more expensive route and bought the limited edition Z Gundam PS2.

335740[/snapback]

Where did you guys purchase the japanese version of the PS2? Was there a specific online store or ebay seller? Considering a mod chip will cost an extra fifty bucks anyway, I think I would like to go the route of just buying a japanese version. However, I was under the impression that the japanese version can play the US version games, or does it only play Japanese games?

Where did you guys purchase the japanese version of the PS2? Was there a specific online store or ebay seller? Considering a mod chip will cost an extra fifty bucks anyway, I think I would like to go the route of just buying a japanese version. However, I was under the impression that the japanese version can play the US version games, or does it only play Japanese games?

339595[/snapback]

Bought my copy of the game in Tokyo while I was there only cost me 2000 yen. As for playing it you can run it from a PS2 Harddrive module via a boot disk.

You can get Jap PS2 for reasonable prices in Japan, you need to go to the secondhand places like Softmap or many of the games shops in Akihabra. May be you should ask the Japan residents on the M.W forum to see if they can help you out.

Mod chips on Ps2`s are a nightmare there are loads of wires to solder on very small connectors ( they make the Xbox look child friendly when it comes to modding). I am an

engineer and I would never do one again, far too much hassle.

Edited by big F

Which Macross games are you guys playing on the PS2? is there more than one?  Are they any good?

339644[/snapback]

Here is a picture of what your looking for

PS2%20Macross.jpg

There is an older version available for the old PSone I have that as well.

Edited by big F

Why bother with a Japanese PS2 when you can just buy a flip top. For about $30 you can have a flip top that takes 10 minutes to install and then use the included swap disks to play Japanese games. I've yet to find a Japanese game I can't get to work on my fliptop. Some will need an extra swap via DVDloader but that's easy to find and download. If your looking for a low cost/easy method this is the route to go...it doesn't damage your PS2 which I'm sure is past its warrenty anyway (only a year).

Edited by jwinges

However, I was under the impression that the japanese version can play the US version games, or does it only play Japanese games?

Japanese PS2s only play japanese games.
Also if you do this you can backup the games you own and resell them back to get some cash back from a gamestop or something.

That's not backing the games up. It's pirating the games.

Why bother with a Japanese PS2 when you can just buy a flip top.  For about $30 you can have a flip top that takes 10 minutes to install and then use the included swap disks to play Japanese games.  I've yet to find a Japanese game I can't get to work on my fliptop.  Some will need an extra swap via DVDloader but that's easy to find and download.  If your looking for a low cost/easy method this is the route to go...it doesn't damage your PS2 which I'm sure is past its warrenty anyway (only a year).  Also if you do this you can backup the games you own and resell them back to get some cash back from a gamestop or something.

339661[/snapback]

Where is the best place to buy this flip top? When you say flip top, are you talking about just buying the slim PS2 that has a top that flips up rather than the slider that comes out then using one of those CDs that somehow trick the PS2 into thinking it is a japanese version?

There is a mod you can do which I think involves a boot disk and a little mod to the draw and a plastic thingie ( which you can make out of 2mm styreen sheet ) which allows you to play em on an otherwise unmodded PS2.

If your interested I will get the information from a friend of mine ( he mods PS2`s and Xbox`s) he is somewhat an expert in this area.

Edited by big F

Why bother with a Japanese PS2 when you can just buy a flip top.  For about $30 you can have a flip top that takes 10 minutes to install and then use the included swap disks to play Japanese games.  I've yet to find a Japanese game I can't get to work on my fliptop.  Some will need an extra swap via DVDloader but that's easy to find and download.  If your looking for a low cost/easy method this is the route to go...it doesn't damage your PS2 which I'm sure is past its warrenty anyway (only a year).  Also if you do this you can backup the games you own and resell them back to get some cash back from a gamestop or something.

339661[/snapback]

Where is the best place to buy this flip top? When you say flip top, are you talking about just buying the slim PS2 that has a top that flips up rather than the slider that comes out then using one of those CDs that somehow trick the PS2 into thinking it is a japanese version?

339830[/snapback]

No. The fliptop is a case replacement for the front-loading PS2 that adds a door on top, so you can change the disk without the console realizing it's happened(since there's no open switch on the door).

It has nothing to do with the slimline.

The PS2 has a top and bottom cover. When installing a fliptop you simply remove most of the bottom screws take the top off. Remove the top of the tray and the little white think inside it. Insert the little white thing into the fliptop cover and install in place of the old top cover.

To play a game you must do one of 2 processes.

Easy games:

1. insert swap disk

2. Open flip top

3. Insert game disk

4. Press "X"

5. Play

Difficult games

1. insert swap disk

2. Open flip top

3. Insert DVDloader disk and press "X"

4. Press eject on PS2 or Triangle button to open tray

5. Insert Swap disk again or a High TOC disk (TOC = 4.37GB work best)

6. Press "X"

7. Open Flip Top

8. Insert game disk

9. Play

I've yet to find a Japanese disk that won't work. Additionally if you have PAL games you can use Zoneloader.