Is it ok?

Ishimaru

I got a Armoured VF-IJ 1/200 model kit I started building it a year ago and stoped due to my supplie of paint and etc. I'm thinking of contiunueing to build it. But is it right to build these old models?Its real cool to paint them and detail them Im just not sure if you build them will they have nay value what so ever?

Models were made to be built. The only onew who haggle over price are those who buy them for "collector" value, never build them and wind up keeping them so long that all they do is collect dust. After a time said"collector" dies and the family sells them on the cheap to clear the house. I have seen it happen.

I know alot of you here have huge collections but at the same time i see you build the models too. I know you guys wouldnt unjustly inflate the price if you had to sell your unbuilts for tha sake of a collection.

I say buld it.How else will it get finished to sit on your shelf and be admired.

By collectors value i mean limited edition. Those really wont be worth anything more than the shelf price to anyone but a rabid fan of the subject for at least 20 to 30 years. Models can be worth more if they are built, alot of times fans buy them with the intention of building models but never do . If they can find the model already built and professionally finished they will be more willing to spend a couple hundred dollars on it while the kit and paints didnt cost you more than 50 dollars total. For example im building a resin model tank that cost 150 dollars(i got it for free) but when its done i could possibly sell it for around 300 to 400 dollars. I dont try to sucker people for it mind you. I let them set the price based on the work i have done on it.

My father took a 50 dollar kit of a ww2 destroyer, built it, and sold it for 1000 to oe of his regular customers. The guy was willing to give him 2000 for it but my father didnt want to accept that much for it :blink:<_<:o. The guy who bought it is a professioal artist and alot of you have seen his work. He painted all the origional movie posters for all the Sean Conery "James Bond" films.

Edited by HWR MKII

Oh ok :) I just dont want to missup my models like I do sometimes >< I built a Master Grade Patlabor I got for free from HLJ since I canceled the order they didnt charge me and I recieved it for free. The shipping took forever thats why I canceled it, my brother waited half a year for his order to come in <_< . Once I get the VF-1 UD I hope you guys can help me since I'm not the best model builder around and the Master Grade Patlabor I build came out half good :blink: I first lost the Main part the medal, I painted the figures the wrong way, I forgot to put the firgure in the cockpit :lol: , I lost the gun, and the arm wouldnt extnend for some reason :ph34r: But in terms of painting Im bad and Im afraid...cause I missup too much.I hope when building the VF-1 UD I will come here for your guy's help :) and it wont turn out such a bad model. And what happened to HLJ they used to have a great load of Macross kits and toys they were pretty nice.

Edited by Logan

Totally agree with HWR on this one, I have some extremely rare models and I plan to build every one.  I'm just stalling cuz I'm afraid of messing them up.

321867[/snapback]

Lets hope you guys are right..beacuase if I messup my VF-1 UD once I get it. Iam going to faint if a part breaks.

:D 2 b honest I don't know any model I ever made I didn't goof up on some part. the trick is to go back a step and do it again. With painting just use some thinner and you can start again :blink:

My Resin Mad Dog (aka Vulture for Inner Sphere Stravags) was first painted in Jade Falcon Cammo (3 tones green) and completely weathered, decalled. After that I sealed it with Dull Coat.....only to have a completely grayed out finish :blink::(:angry: ;

It took me three months to gather my whits and strip it completely and redo it (in a desert camo this time).

As to collecting...... I have about 50+ kits laying around to build (nearly all mainstream models). I just don't get to building them and I have 1 from which to box art is worth alot (S3A Viking from AMT with the Kursk in the background). But I'll be building this one as soon as I can find the wingfold update ;)

If you have questions, just drop them here, you'll get an answer for sure

:huh::blink: ummm yah but I'm not sure what you just said. I have like only 2 models laying around well actualy 3. One is a incomplete patlabor and repairs are merely impossible, One is a VF-IJ 1/200 I'm planning on finishing it soon. And one is a completed Mercuries from Wing Gundam which I had a while ago. I dont know how you guys can so much money and kits to build and stuff. Once the VF-1s UD arrive(when it does...) I'm going to need alot of help building it Iam going to post every question in my head :) but until then...I dunno :ph34r:

:huh:  :blink:  ummm yah but I'm not sure what you just said. I have like only 2 models laying around well actualy 3. One is a incomplete patlabor and repairs are merely impossible, One is a VF-IJ 1/200 I'm planning on finishing it soon. And one is a completed Mercuries from Wing Gundam which I had a while ago. I dont know how you guys can so much money and kits to build and stuff. Once the VF-1s UD arrive(when it does...) I'm going to need alot of help building it Iam going to post every question in my head  :) but until then...I dunno :ph34r:

322118[/snapback]

Well money ofcourse is one thing. Speaking for myself I have a tight budget for models but I've been building them since I was a kid. So basicly sometimes I buy a model because it's a nice kit, even though I haven't got time to build it or I'm building something else.

For goofing up, as long as you don't loose any parts almost anything is salvagable even cockpithoods. Just drop a mail if you have any questions :)

Guest Bromgrev

I say build it. I have hundreds of kits, some which are probably quite rare now, waiting to be built. Some have been waiting for 10 years or more. But they will be built. Of course, iff you're worried about your skill, go for some cheap-and-easy ones first to build up your confidence. The bottom line is, models were meant to be built! :D

I say build it. I have hundreds of kits, some which are probably quite rare now, waiting to be built. Some have been waiting for 10 years or more. But they will be built. Of course, iff you're worried about your skill, go for some cheap-and-easy ones first to build up your confidence. The bottom line is, models were meant to be built!  :D

322760[/snapback]

Wow! But the Armoured VF-IJ 1/200 isnt too bad for starters is it its sorta easy for me.

Good models to work on that will still look good if you make a mistake are tanks. Any excess glue or botches in the paint can be worked into the final finish to look like regular wear and tear. I have seen some weird stuff on real tanks.

@ Dean, something I just noticed you're talking about the 1/48th Ultimate Detail model kit. Some little remarks :

1/ You'll have trouble finding one as the original model was only a limited build (2* 300 pc) <_<

2/ Recasts are only by a certain number :(

When building resin kits (esp. recasts) think about the issues you'll encounter which aren't limited to :

- shrinkage

- bad fit

- warping

- sanding, filling, ....

for short, take your time, build up experience with some easier kits before you start on the voyage of the VF1 UD. :D