1/48 VF-1S Hikaru

aaajin

Nope, that was a prototype pic that Graham showed us way before the Hikaru 1S release. Man, the Photoshop remark is hilarious :lol:

V!C

I doubt that that is a Yamato stock shot. That is a badly photoshopped version of a VF-1S Roy used on online store sites.

320227[/snapback]

Nope, that was a prototype pic that Graham showed us way before the Hikaru 1S release. Man, the Photoshop remark is hilarious  :lol:

V!C

I doubt that that is a Yamato stock shot. That is a badly photoshopped version of a VF-1S Roy used on online store sites.

320227[/snapback]

320290[/snapback]

No it was the one off HLJ. You look closely particularly at the Battroid mode, there is a hint of yellow at the top.

I think kensei is right; it is a repainted Roy. After closer inspection, there are actually a a couple of other spots where you can still see yellow at the edge of the red. Also, the pilot's helmet shows up pretty well in the fighter mode and it's definitely Roy's.

If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, but I do prefer the heatshield red. I have seen other Hikaru 1S in the past that have the black heatshield. Sorry Kensei if this ofended you in any way, that was not my intention.

V!C

320430[/snapback]

That's cool dude I was not offended at all. :)

But to be honest, I think that the VF-1S Hikaru was just announced, I could swear there was never any promo pic for the VF-1S Hikaru, until it came out, which was just the inside cover of the box.

that's not from DYRL?. If I recall...its from Mac 7 (I believe so)...becus Ive already checked twice...Hikaru's is black in DYRL?  :)

320917[/snapback]

aaajin, you may want to brace yourself, because this may hurt a bit. ;)

Straight from the DVD:

red-shield.jpg

red-shield2.jpg

I prefer black. But it's supposed to be red. Red can look black due to shading, shadows, and coloring mistakes. But it's hard to argue that black can look red due to shading and/or shadows. As for animator/coloring mistakes: Whenever it is shown close-up, it's red. It is shown as black from a distance because of shadows/shading.

Apologies for the terrible image quality above. I'm not at my home computer and had to play it back in Realplayer in order to get a screenshot.

Best Regards,

H

If you look closely on DYRL? Max has a black heatshield and is never shown with a blue one.

321062[/snapback]

Max's heatshield is clearly blue while he is in his VF-1A. There is no clear shot of him in battroid in his VF-1S. He is only in battroid mode during his duel with Milia while inside the Meltran ship. He transforms into battroid just as he enters the ship and you barely get a peak of his heatshield as it comes down in "natural light." At that point, it's hard to tell, but it does look black (but in the same way that Hikaru's looks black during non-detail frames). From that point, the scene is filled with funky lighting and flash effects (it's nearly monochrome!). So, it's basically inconclusive. But the fact that his 1A has a blue one leads me to believe that his 1S does as well (as Hikaru's does).

H

If you look closely on DYRL? Max has a black heatshield and is never shown with a blue one.

321062[/snapback]

Max's heatshield is clearly blue while he is in his VF-1A. There is no clear shot of him in battroid in his VF-1S. He is only in battroid mode during his duel with Milia while inside the Meltran ship. He transforms into battroid just as he enters the ship and you barely get a peak of his heatshield as it comes down in "natural light." At that point, it's hard to tell, but it does look black (but in the same way that Hikaru's looks black during non-detail frames). From that point, the scene is filled with funky lighting and flash effects (it's nearly monochrome!). So, it's basically inconclusive. But the fact that his 1A has a blue one leads me to believe that his 1S does as well (as Hikaru's does).

H

321083[/snapback]

I'll grab screens when I get home tonight after work. But if you watch the battle with Max and Millia, there are several shots where his shield is black and not blue. I've grabbed screens for this discussion before, but unfortunately that was a few computers ago and they are long gone. I think there are also pictures in the gold book from this battle that show the shield as black.

PS I meant the 1S was not shown as blue, not the 1A, sorry for not clarifying.

Edited by Rabidweezil

Yeah, while I was driving into work today, I thought: "Wait a minute! I think he briefly transforms to battroid during that battle before they enter the ship." So, I was mistaken that he only transforms once inside the ship.

I haven't had a chance to look at the scene in detail. But I think I see where you're saying it's black. I think, however, that's just due to the lighting for the scene (that orange-ish sky makes everything look darker. . . and cooler!)

I'll post some screenshots later.

H

I haven't had a chance to look at the scene in detail.  But I think I see where you're saying it's black.  I think, however, that's just due to the lighting for the scene (that orange-ish sky makes everything look darker. . . and cooler!)

321099[/snapback]

I stand corrected. I was wrong about Max only transforming once. . . and I was wrong that shading and environmental lighting can explain away his heat shield appearing black. At no point does his 1S heatshield appear blue. And, as you can see in this image. . .

max-shield1.jpg

. . . there is no logical reason why his stripe would appear blue so close-up while his heatshield remains black. And this is not the only time this phenomenon occurs.

So, it is indeed black. You're right Rabidweezil.

Best,

H

What part of the movie is this? I don't remember they standing side by side with the bad guys? :huh:

V!C

the picture says it all... just as it was meant to be :) Definately best with the red and blue respectively!

320903[/snapback]

321448[/snapback]

I believe that's on one of the intros of Macross 7 (Is it the "Strongest women fleet" or what ever that episode is called...)

I cannot believe someone would take a few frames of an action scene as a definative canon... even if DYRL is one of the most well-drawn hand-animated movies in anime history. To me, that picture has no more validity than THIS:

Max1S2.jpg

Whereas the previous picture I posted was a standstill shot where the animators had time to carefully do everything.

To each their own, even if I think your logic is hella flawed. <_<

I cannot believe someone would take a few frames of an action scene as a definative canon... even if DYRL is one of the most well-drawn hand-animated movies in anime history. To me, that picture has no more validity than THIS:

Max1S2.jpg

Whereas the previous picture I posted was a standstill shot where the animators had time to carefully do everything.

To each their own, even if I think your logic is hella flawed. <_<

322581[/snapback]

Skull Leader,

Please find one. . . just one image of Max's VF-1S with a blue heatshield from the actual movie (DYRL) rather than a poorly animated TV series created several years later by low-wage animators.

"Hella Flawed logic?" Let's take a look at your "logic". . .

You just showed us a smoke-filled image where no color exists. I showed you an image that clearly shows his chest stipe as blue yet his heatshield is clearly black, and you can't get any more of a close-up on the heatshield (actually, you can, a frame earlier, which shows the same thing even closer up). Providing an image intentionally devoid of color for aesthetic reasons isn't exactly a logical way for you to try to prove your point and does nothing to address the fact that blue appears clearly in the lighting environment of the outdoor Milia/Max duel (just prior to your indoor image), yet in the same frame, the heatshield is clearly black. . . several times.

You comment that the image you showed from M7 is hand-drawn and the artist took his time. Are you saying that they didn't take their time with the image I provided? Even though it was drawn during the movie where they had more time, manpower, and had the goal of creating their Macross masterpiece rather than just crapping out a mass-produced TV series? That is logical?

How's this for logic?

:lol: Dude. . . the amount of action in a scene does not necessarily dictate how much attention to detail a cel gets, much less whether they'll get the colors right. Budget and medium matter far more. Here is a shot only a few frames further along than the one I provided from DYRL. This is Max's chest with his vernier thruster firing in the middle of his fast-paced battle with Milia. According to your "logic", it should have very little detail because the artist would just rush through it and be prone to mistakes. Yet. . .

max-chest-vernier.jpg

So, do you still want to say that M7's artists take more time and add more details? :rolleyes: This shot is essentially invisible during the movie as it flies by during the frenetic duel. . . yet look at how much time they took even though nobody would ever notice "VF_1S" being printed there during normal viewing. . . much less any of the other fine details.

To provide an image that isn't even from the movie, assert that the artwork in M7 (univerally accepted as having lack-luster animation) is somehow more careful and detailed than the lovingly-crafted masterpiece that is DYRL, providing another image that is intentionally color-less, and then accosting the logic of others. . . :rolleyes:

So, tell me again why Roy's isn't yellow? Why can't Max's be black too then? Because Hikaru's is red? Well, again, then why is Roy's not yellow? And, therefore, since we have no evidence within the anime that Max's isn't black, and some evidence that it is from the movie itself, I'm going with black. You can breathlessly declare how you "can't believe" anyone would do so. . . but your rebuttal leaves a lot more to be desired where logic is concerned than my original assertion.

In case it isn't apparent, I didn't care for your dismissive tone. ;)

Edited by Hurin

I don't really care what you think of my dismissive tone. No one told you that you had to respond. ;)

You could at BEST argue that there is ample evidence to support either theory, but there's hardly anything conclusive to put it in stone. Sure Max's heatshield is black in that photo, but earlier in the movie there is a scene that clearly shows Roy as having a yellow heatshield... and for that matter, there is a moment in the final scene between Hikaru and Bodolza where his heatshield is clearly white, then red, and when he turns around afterwords to report in, it's black.

I would almost be willing to bet money that if a Max VF-1S is ever released (by ANY company licensed by big west), it will have a blue heatshield.

Edited by Skull Leader

Yes, you can make a logical argument that it should be blue. But I wouldn't say there is any direct evidence that it is blue. You can infer it, but there is no direct proof. I think there is more evidence (though not absolutely conclusive) that the heatshield is intended to be black and that seems backed up by the fact that it consistently appears black at every opportunity even very close up when blue is clearly visible on the chest and elsewhere. But, again, it is possible that they repeatedly made mistakes and/or decided that blue would appear black for those oddly lit scenes.

I only responded thusly because I found the tone of your response to be pretty condescending. But since we're now winking at each other, and we both understand each other's positions pretty clearly, I think it's clear that we'll have to agree to disagree. :)

I hope (and think) that you're right, and that the toy will probably have a blue heatshield if it ever comes out. I actually prefer blue. And, quite a ways above, thought it was blue before looking at the frames more closely.