Macross box set from Mangle

bandit29

The Macross Box set from Mangle will include The Macross Plus OVA and ....Macross II...? So much for a remaster of Macross Plus Movie Edition. I wonder if any of content here will be remastered..probably not.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/ca...tem/60512/4/0/0

TRSI is having a 40 % off Manga Video sale btw.

use the coupon code in check out

Coupon Code: festival

Expires: 10/2/03

Interesting. Right now only have Movie Edition on DVD. My VHS of the OVA are ready to give up the ghost, as are my MII VHS. So maybe I'll consider this after all...

$90? Sounds expensive though. Even at a high-priced place like Suncoast should be able to get Macross Plus Vol 1 and 2 and Macross II movie seperate for the same money (if not cheaper). I don't see any mention of any new material or anything. Sounds like they've just grabbed their stock of existing DVDs and wrapped them up together in one external package over the standard internal ones.

At least Plus is in 5.1ch like the movie edition, but MII is still just 2Ch, apparently.

Interesting. Right now only have Movie Edition on DVD. My VHS of the OVA are ready to give up the ghost, as are my MII VHS. So maybe I'll consider this after all...

My OVA is DVD, but my movie is VHS.

And I think UPS set it on a magnet during shipping, as the quality was crap.

WTF?! MII and M+, but no movie edition? What kind of box set is that?! If there was ever a company that could make Harmony Gold look good, it's present-day Manga. <_<

Sounds like they've just grabbed their stock of existing DVDs and wrapped them up together in one external package over the standard internal ones.

Bullseye! I hope no one here actually expects Manga to redo the DVD covers and inserts.

Not even Manga is bad enough to make HG look good, though they're officially as bad as Viz now.

This info has been known for months, and as it stands, it's a complete rip-off. Most likely it's just a scheme to get rid of their Macross II DVD overstock, as there's no othe viable reason why that should be included in a Macross Plus box set!

And seriously, if anyone believes that Manga was going to remaster their craptacular movie edition DVD, you must be living in a magical fantasy dreamworld.

And seriously, if anyone believes that Manga was going to remaster their craptacular movie edition DVD, you must be living in a magical fantasy dreamworld.

Happy Dreamland is a great place.

You should try it some time.

Yeah, but just trying importing DVD's from there.

Happy Dreamland is a great place.

You should try it some time.

Yeah, but just trying importing DVD's from there.

If I could get my quantum modem working I would.

Or at least download some rips of Kazaa or something.

Well now its been pushed back to ....January lol

Macross 3 Disc Box Set EJanuary 31st, 2004

http://www.animeondvd.com/

That's fine with me! Gives my wallet a rest from all the Macross toys.

I'm also somewhat happy that they're packaging it with Macross II, because I already bought the movie DVD when it came out a little while back. Macross II isn't the best show in the world, but it's fun enough for me, and I really hate bootlegs and crappy fansubs.

If you want the M+ OAV and movie, here's a tip: you might look into the Macross Plus Ultimate Edition. Sold in the UK, it includes both. It's R2, so you'll need a multi-region DVD player, and there's supposedly a mixup on the disc labelling, but the price isn't bad even if you get it direct from Manga UK (£19.99 plus shipping, or about $40 total.). It shows up on eBay and Amazon auctions, too--just make sure the seller is willing to ship to your location.

http://manga.co.uk/

Thats true. If there's one thing I will say about Manga, it's that they give us a sad idiots in the UK the best prices:

Macross Plus Ultimate Edition Boxset (Macross Plus OVA+Movie) 9.99 (GAME price)

Virus Buster Serge Complete TV Boxset 15.99 (GAME price)

Import it from the UK, it's yer best bet if it's what you really want.

One more tip--due to the weird font on the cover of the DVD, the seller I bought my copy from has it listed as MACROSS PLUG. ULTIMATE EDITION and in the description as MACROGG PLUG.

Speaking of "plug", the eBay seller (williamady) got the package to me in a flash. I see he has another copy up for sale. Again, this is an R2 (Region 2) DVD set. It will not work on most North American DVD players. You must have a Region 2 player or a multi-region player. (The seller's eBay description incorrectly says "region free", but I just confirmed with my discs.)

Mods: I realize this is an auction tip, but it seemed especially relevant to this thread.

Most likely it's just a scheme to get rid of their Macross II DVD overstock, as there's no othe viable reason why that should be included in a Macross Plus box set!

That's so not true!

Not even Manga is bad enough to make HG look good, though they're officially as bad as Viz now.

Just how bad is Viz nowadays? :unsure:

Still no Galaxy Express DVD's (not that I haven't long since imported the R3's), so still pretty damn bad.

Ahhh good ole Mandango! frakking up everything they can get their hands on. Screw it, I'm gonna buy the R2 version of M+Movie and have a third party like Fx rip it to R1 and add fansub quality subtitles. Best solution I can think of. B)

If you can get FX to do it, more power to you!

Ahhh good ole Mandango! frakking up everything they can get their hands on. Screw it, I'm gonna buy the R2 version of M+Movie and have a third party like Fx rip it to R1 and add fansub quality subtitles. Best solution I can think of. B)

Well, I was just wishful thinking there for a moment. But do you know if they actually offer services where they will add english subs to R2 dvds? I am presently exploring the idea of having a third party company translate THIS for me.

Edited by isamu

Well, I was just wishful thinking there for a moment. But do you know if they actually offer services where they will add english subs to R2 dvds? I am presently exploring the idea of having a third party company translate THIS for me.

The first box is done, so chances are the second bo will be too. The only problem is that Toei has been anal about tracking U.S. HK distributers, so the releases are a bitch to find. I think the first box wound up in about 5-6 volumes. You can tell them from the regular HK R1 rips becuase the R2 set rips have blue & yellow cover art with just Goku's face.

Yeah, the first Dragonball Z R2 boxset was ripped. MI did it first, I beleive. Each set was a three disc gatefold I beleive. Fansub scripts were used. I didn't buy them, so I'm just oging off what others who did have said. I liked the packaging, though, even though it was quite plain. Look for HKs of the second set to start coming out very soon.

I doubt if you sent Flora the R2 set of Macross Plus or II he'd do a rip of it. He'd most likely just rip the R1 version as it has the subs and everything on it. Plus, his main market appeal is to dub fans, which is why he only ripped episodes one through six of the R2 Blackjack boxset, instead of all ten. Only the first six were ever dubbed. So, unless the R2 version came with the dub, too, he probably wouldn't do it.

Though he did mention he's looking into doing R2 rips with fansub scripts, which I really hope he pursues :)

And Keith, do you go to the Articnightfall forums? You're signature seems farmiliar. Unless it's a commonly used Firebombers one...

Keith wrote:

The first box is done, so chances are the second bo will be too. The only problem is that Toei has been anal about tracking U.S. HK distributers, so the releases are a bitch to find. I think the first box wound up in about 5-6 volumes. You can tell them from the regular HK R1 rips becuase the R2 set rips have blue & yellow cover art with just Goku's face.

==================

Vinny wrote:

Yeah, the first Dragonball Z R2 boxset was ripped. MI did it first, I beleive. Each set was a three disc gatefold I beleive. Fansub scripts were used. I didn't buy them, so I'm just oging off what others who did have said. I liked the packaging, though, even though it was quite plain. Look for HKs of the second set to start coming out very soon.

I doubt if you sent Flora the R2 set of Macross Plus or II he'd do a rip of it. He'd most likely just rip the R1 version as it has the subs and everything on it. Plus, his main market appeal is to dub fans, which is why he only ripped episodes one through six of the R2 Blackjack boxset, instead of all ten. Only the first six were ever dubbed. So, unless the R2 version came with the dub, too, he probably wouldn't do it.

Though he did mention he's looking into doing R2 rips with fansub scripts, which I really hope he pursues

And Keith, do you go to the Articnightfall forums? You're signature seems farmiliar. Unless it's a commonly used Firebombers one...

O.K. Fist of all, I apologize to the mods for continuing to go OT in this thread, but I simply must know. Keith and Vinny...can you guys PLEASE kindly direct me towards a link where I may find these R2 HK releases of the first box set? A google attempt turned up nothing.

Keith you said the R2s have blue and yellow cover art with Goku's face so I'm assuming you've seen them. Where did you get the info? Please post a link.

Vinny. I'm assuming you've also seen them. How do you know MI has done them? And what other company has ripped them so far beside MI? Fx?

Who is Flores? Does he work for MI? Does he have ripped R2 box sets as well?

To the best of your knowledge, how good is MI's transfer and do they usually have good picture quality transfers on their releases? How is the quality their subs? Or should I look elsewhere since MI's version isn't up to par? I want the version with the absolutel BEST video transfer and english sub quality!

Finally, can both of you, to the best of your knowledge, tell me approxiamately how much the sets are going for?

Please either PM me or post the link! Pretty please with cherries on top!! I'm DYING to get this! B)

Flora is the person who runs FX. FX means FlorachanXXX. He mostly just rips R1 stuff. His market appeal in in America, while most of the other places is Hong Kong (where there made).

As for where you can find the Dragonbox rips, it's going to be incredibly hard. Funimation is going after all the big sellers making them take it down. Your best bet in finding it would be Ebay. Alot of HK sellers take requests, too. My shop of choice, www.import-anime.com would get it in for you. Alot of other places, like www.animeiacs.com, might get it for you too, but I'm not sure about them.

Ah, here we go. http://www.animediscount.net has them. This is Flora of FX's site. Front page was boxset 6 on it. The sites reliable, from what others say. He has all 6 sets in stock, I beleive, which is episodes 1-148.

Import Anime has reviews for all the sets up:

http://www.import-anime.com/index.php?page=list&list=D

Scroll down till you see the Dragonball Z sets. Read the MI reviews. The ones from MAC are rips of the R1 sets -_-.

I can't speak generally to MI's quality, but the version of M0 vol. 2 that I got from them was pretty bad. It's the one with bad subtitles (I could live with that) and video that breaks up/de-interlaces during fast movement (i.e. fight scenes--intolerable).

Read the reviews carefully--the one review of the M0 boot I found at import-anime mentioned the poor video in the text but still inexplicably gave a high numerical score to the video.

Flora is the person who runs FX.  FX means FlorachanXXX.  He mostly just rips R1 stuff.  His market appeal in in America, while most of the other places is Hong Kong (where there made). 

As for where you can find the Dragonbox rips, it's going to be incredibly hard.  Funimation is going after all the big sellers making them take it down.  Your best bet in finding it would be Ebay.  Alot of HK sellers take requests, too.  My shop of choice, www.import-anime.com would get it in for you.  Alot of other places, like www.animeiacs.com, might get it for you too, but I'm not sure about them. 

Ah, here we go.  http://www.animediscount.net has them.  This is Flora of FX's site.  Front page was boxset 6 on it.  The sites reliable, from what others say.  He has all 6 sets in stock, I beleive, which is episodes 1-148.

Import Anime has reviews for all the sets up:

http://www.import-anime.com/index.php?page=list&list=D

Scroll down till you see the Dragonball Z sets.  Read the MI reviews.  The ones from MAC are rips of the R1 sets -_-.

Vinny. I am indebted to you. Thank you kind sir!

Now...

After having done some snooping around, I managed to bump into The DBZOA Message Boards and posted my quiery in THIS thread, to which MajinVejitaXV has posted a review of the first set that is unrelated to Import anime's web page, *HERE*.

After reading reviews on both import anime's site and the review MajinVejitaXV posted, I am still on the fence on whether I will get MI's sets. It's good to know the video quality is almost up to par with the official Dragon Box, but I can't help but wonder how annoyed I'd really be by the sometimes mispelled names and grammatical errors.

Anyway I will now take a look at Flora's site and see what he has. Any other sets you might know of floating around from other companies please feel free to inform me. :)

That's your only shot at getting a rip of the R2 box set.

Your choices are: Pay $700-800 for a non-subtitled official R2 release

or

Pay $180 for a re-encoded HK version with very good subtitles (though I doubt perfect).

Your other option of course paying even more than you would for the official R2 release, and picking up Funimations craptacular R1 disc's, or the HK rips of those. I think the only true option is clear :)

That's your only shot at getting a rip of the R2 box set.

Your choices are: Pay $700-800 for a non-subtitled official R2 release

or

Pay $180 for a re-encoded HK version with very good subtitles (though I doubt perfect).

Your other option of course paying even more than you would for the official R2 release, and picking up Funimations craptacular R1 disc's, or the HK rips of those. I think the only true option is clear :)

Thanks for the response. I have a feeling the review homeboy over at DBZOA posted is blowing the subtitles issue out of proportion. Mispelling of names can be a big issue for some, but it's when the companiy's subs poorly mangle the dialog to the point where it detracts from the original story that I REALLY have a problem with. Let's take Fx's job of Mac 7 for example...yeah, plently of misspellings going on there, but I admit I actually chuckled the first time I saw "Perry Strands" for Planet Dance, and was more than able to follow the story. Only thing that irked me was everytime the character said "Protodevlin" and the subs read "Elka"...WTF? <_<

Anyway I might give these MI sets a shot. But I'm still waiting to hear from Flores if he's gonna make his very own Fx set for sale. I'd be interested in seeing if he could come up with better ones that MI. For what it's worth, the majority of people posting over at the *DBZOA* site do not recommend the MI sets, in particular that Songoe guy. I wonder why? Are they THAT much of a purist? One other tiny thing...

Taken from garfield3028's review

The bad sides for the video on this HK edition, is that when there is a lot of things going on (that is the case in a LOT of DBZ episodes), you can see some artefacts (looks like pixels) during the episodes. Also, when the image is streched in lenght (skies for example) , you can feel some quality loss. Bitrate is 3 MBPS- 5.5 MBPS, vs the Dragonbox that had 4-9 MBPS.

In all, quality is 4/5 (vs the Dragonbox), a lot like the One Piece DVDs (has same artefact problems).

Hmm, wonder if the pixelization issue is as big as an issue they're making it out to be....prolly not.

Hi Keith Vinny!

Just wanted to let you guys know I got this response from Kerin from AnimeDiscount today:

Welcome to our boards Isamu.  I'm Kerinspirit aka Kerin. One of the moderators of this board.

To answer your first question. Flores is a company. They are the suppliers to Admin for anime. I believe their primary stock are (FX). As for the ripping of DBZ from FX. I can't answer that. You can contact Admin on our "contact us" page for that.

But I can say that the DBZ's from (MI) is the only series that has outstanding english subs. I use DBZ for my comparison for other english sub only anime. I highly recommend the set that AnimeD has here. I have part 1-3 right now and look forward to getting the rest.

(MI) themselves are 50/50. Sometimes the subs are great some are horriable. Just research some reviews to formulate your own opinion. But the DBZ is highly recommended.  If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Or you can PM me or Waste_of_Space (the other moderator).

I think I will eventually buy the MI set, but not until the second half is done, being that I like to buy my anime series all at one time in one big chunk. I will also buy the official import Dragonbox, because I feel any true fan who going to buy the leggies, should also supoort the show by buying the original Box set as well. $1700 is NOT too expensive for a 300+ episode series, IMHO. Especially one that you truly enjoy! I wish Macross had 300+ eps. More dogfighting to watch :p

You're one crazy guy, wish I had $1700 to blow on R2's. I highly doubt FX will rip the DBZ box sets though, especially since they've been having some compression problems on recent R1 rips. When it comes right down to it, you're never going to have a better option than the MI sets.

All things considered, if you didn't mind/notice the compression problems on the FX Macross 7 set, then you won't have one with the MI DBZ set.

Edited by Keith

All things considered, if you didn't mind/notice the compression problems on the FX Macross 7 set, then you won't have one with the MI DBZ set.

That's encouraging to hear!! I am currently in the middle of rewatching my Mac7 Fx discs and I don't notice any compressions problems whatsoever. Those dvds look fine to me! The colors are beautiful and clarity is top notch!

On a related note,

Originally posted by sangofe

haha, there are a few groups that REMASTERS the dvds :p!

Like AHQ :D

Do you know who AHQ are???

That's encouraging to hear!! I am currently in the middle of rewatching my Mac7 Fx discs and I don't notice any compressions problems whatsoever. Those dvds look fine to me! The colors are beautiful and clarity is top notch!

On a related note,

Originally posted by sangofe

haha, there are a few groups that REMASTERS the dvds :p!

Like AHQ :D

Do you know who AHQ are???

Freeze frame, or slow-mo some scenes, you'll see that there are actually a fair share of bad compression artifacts to be seen. Though considering there's still no official release, and though the subtitles are bad, the video is much better than the other HKs.