my 1/60 and 1/48 dilemma

Kanzaki

Hi, I'm a newbie here, so i dont know wether a topic as such was discussed.

I'm a diehard macross fan (well, erm...yeah.... I guess.) Recently I took the first step in getting my Macross valks, and trying to make a collection out of it. I started with some 1/60s which was the VF-1As and VF-1S, and further in 1 of my 1/48 VF-1A hikaru and a strike/fast pack set.

Now I am in a dilemma, as to whether to complete my 1/60 then go for the 1/48, ot just jump into the 1/48 line.

The 1/60 is a excellent line, and i love my VT-1 and VE-1 the most, but soon after some transformation, the die cast part starts to chip off, leaving a rather irritating sign on the valks. (Only VF-1S Roy, because the other 1/60 is still MIB due to lack of displaying space).

Now, I'm planing to collect the 1/60 VF-1J Max and Miria, but the chipping issue place a halt in my plans.

I have 1 1/48 VF-1A, which IMO is really good and detailed, and the chipping issue doesnt seem to happen here. I'm pleased with the details and also the complete transformation, and the articulation is superb.

My question now; Should i discontinue the 1/60 collection and go for the 1/48 instead? due to the fact that 1/48 are kinda expensive and much harder to find than 1/60, I was thinking of getting the full line for 1/60, and only a few 1/48, just to make up a collection. Should I do that?? Or shoudl I just collect 1/48 instead?

I've already have my 1/72 macross plus collection, and my YF-19 is coming in soon. I got no issues with 1/72 so far :p

Sorry for the stupid dilemma question, but i really wanna hear what u guys think about this.

regards.

Jump to the 1/48 line unless you're a scale freak. It's the only reason to get those 1/60s. Well price also, but the 1/48s are worth it if you're the macross freak that you say you are.

Edited by >EXO<

If you can buy both lines.

At least to me, owing both lines is a win-win situation!!!

1/48 big, detailed, perfect transformation

1/60 the most complete line out there, better proportions (sorry for the 1/60 bashers but I like the proportions better) and you have enemy mecha too (Q-Rau)

Just my 0.02 cents.

I was thinking of finishing the 1/60 line first since they're cheaper.

But I'm afraid of the chipping issue.

I think maybe i should jump into the 1/48 instead. Anyone here who has a complete 1/60 line?? :lol:

319705[/snapback]

Get all the 1/48s you want first. They are all expensive to begin with, and they'll keep getting more and more pricey as their supplies dwindle...get the CF and GBP when they come out or you may find yourself spending 3X as much to acquire them later...LV anyone?

Once you have all the 1/48s you want/need, then go back to completing the 1/60 line if you so desire. They are unlikely to appreciate in value within the next 5 years anyway, so if you need to track a particular 1/60 down in 3 years, you'll be able to get it at a reasonable price...likely even bellow MSRP.

I was thinking of finishing the 1/60 line first since they're cheaper.

But I'm afraid of the chipping issue.

I think maybe i should jump into the 1/48 instead. Anyone here who has a complete 1/60 line?? :lol:

319705[/snapback]

Get all the 1/48s you want first. They are all expensive to begin with, and they'll keep getting more and more pricey as their supplies dwindle...get the CF and GBP when they come out or you may find yourself spending 3X as much to acquire them later...LV anyone?

Once you have all the 1/48s you want/need, then go back to completing the 1/60 line if you so desire. They are unlikely to appreciate in value within the next 5 years anyway, so if you need to track a particular 1/60 down in 3 years, you'll be able to get it at a reasonable price...likely even bellow MSRP.

319720[/snapback]

great advice. I was actually thinking of the same thing.

Well 1/48 are indeed expensive now, and it might get even more expensive later. Batter get it before it reaches a jaw dropping price.

I'm getting the 1/48 CF, so i guess thats a good start :lol:

and I'm getting a 1/49 VF-1J miria soon as well. ;)

Don't forget the 1/48 Roy is also getting re-issued.

I have the complete 1/60 line. I like it for it's completeness and I want to customize some more stuff for them. The 1/48 line is too pricey for me to have one of everything so I prefer to just get the good pieces.

damn I read 1/60 and 1/48 "diorama" and I'm like cool, i'll get to see someone's setup. :lol:

I say skip the 1/60's and save money for the 1/48's. you don't need to get all of them if you don't want to pay the prices for some of them now like the LV, but the 1S roy and CF are coming out soon with the GBP so pick those up first.

1/60's will float around the price the are right now for a while, but 1/48's tend to go up faster.

There are people who still swear by the 1/60 line even after they have their 1/48s. But, in my experience, they are the minority.

For me personally, I sold off my four or five 1/60s once I got my first few 1/48s and then realized that (aside from the 2-seaters), just about every 1/60 valk will also be available in 1/48 scale.

I just didn't see the point in getting the 1/60 "just to have them" when I could get something better, even if it was more money.

If you want the best, and you have the money, I'd just skip the rest of the 1/60s (and sell the ones you have?) and then concentrate on the 1/48s. Buying both lines just seemed silly to me. While deciding to go with the (IMHO) inferior line was even sillier. So, it became a no-brainer for me to go with the 1/48s.

I'd at least recommend getting a Roy 1S. Something about that one really made me finally fall in love with the 1/48s. Whereas I was only lukewarm towards my Hik 1A (especially how it looked in battroid mode) when I first started collecting 1/48s.

Good Luck!

H

I would just jump into the 1/48 line. Showing more support for the bigger scale might see yamato make more decisions that lean twards bigger, more detailed, toys of other valks. I really like the fast packs, since they are detailed and add weight to the toy (but still has plastic so as not to chip anything)

The valk I would get next in 1/48 would be RoyVF1s since to me it is probably the most noticable. You can upgrade the valk to have the strike part and this looks good in battroid mode when folded as an over-the-shoulder backpack weapon. (I tend to display mine in battroid mode mostly)

But if they could just release more tv series stuff - (limited angel birds release? an official greyish VF1S super valk? tv Max VF1A?) then it can mean only more good things in the long run for fans. Since Roy is a popular character, two versions - tv series and DYRL, can't hurt.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I'm one of the 1/60 die hards (I have all of them), but if I were you, I'd follow the previous advice and go ahead and pick up the 1/48s you want first, simply because they are not likely to get any cheaper. Then you can spend some time and less cash to pick up your remaining 1/60s at your leisure.

As far as paint chipping and other 1/60 issues go, here is my solution: Buy doubles and even triples of the ones you want - they are cheap enough :). Then you can have some for display, some to keep MISB, and some 'beaters' to actually screw around with. Ironically, my 1/60 beaters (chipped paint, broken/reglued BP8s, etc) are actually my favorites, probably because I don't really have to worry about any of them.

Have fun!

Thanks for all the replies. It actually cleared up my thoughts now, and I think it makes sense to go for the 1/48s first and collect the 1/60 leisurely.

For a fact that 1/60 has a few that 1/48s doesnt have, and I think I'll aim for those in the future. It's true that most 1/60 lines are available in 1/48s (even the upcoming CF), so i guess the more reason why I should pick up 1/48s.

Am hoping to get my 1/48s collection up soon. Anyone knows any good shops that sells macross in UK? I'll be off to UK (Newcastle) after summer to further my studies ;):lol::lol:

Thanks for all the replies. It actually cleared up my thoughts now, and I think it makes sense to go for the 1/48s first and collect the 1/60 leisurely.

For a fact that 1/60 has a few that 1/48s doesnt have, and I think I'll aim for those in the future. It's true that most 1/60 lines are available in 1/48s (even the upcoming CF), so i guess the more reason why I should pick up 1/48s.

Am hoping to get my 1/48s collection up soon. Anyone knows any good shops that sells macross in UK? I'll be off to UK (Newcastle) after summer to further my studies ;)  :lol:  :lol:

319912[/snapback]

Listen to the experts here and get the 1/48s first. The 1/60 ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

Don't be like me and wait too long to jump on the bandwagon. I got my first 1/48, which is a Low Viz for 500 bucks. Right now, since I'm working full time, I could start collecting them one by one. But the out-of-production ones are gonna cost me as well.

OT: Kanzaki, I gather from your location you're Melaka?

Am hoping to get my 1/48s collection up soon. Anyone knows any good shops that sells macross in UK? I'll be off to UK (Newcastle) after summer to further my studies ;)  :lol:  :lol:

319912[/snapback]

Listen to the experts here and get the 1/48s first. The 1/60 ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

Don't be like me and wait too long to jump on the bandwagon. I got my first 1/48, which is a Low Viz for 500 bucks. Right now, since I'm working full time, I could start collecting them one by one. But the out-of-production ones are gonna cost me as well.

OT: Kanzaki, I gather from your location you're Melaka?

319963[/snapback]

Nope not from Malacca, I'm from KL. :lol: