What on Earth is This?

Over at another forum, someone found this DVD for a buck.

acraxl.jpg

No one's heard of it, ANN has no info on it. It's really awful to watch I'm told. Is it an anime, or a Chinese or something ripoff of anime? Are these things common? There are apparrently three discs out there. http://www.dvd-club.ch/dvd_selection_anime.asp?page=3

I figured someone on this board might have some info. B))

if no one's heard of it... then how did they know to tell you that it's awful to watch? :blink:

319634[/snapback]

No, someone bought it at Walmart without knowing what it is. I didn't say no one's watched it.

I noticed the White Base too.

OK, update on this mystery movie:

OK, I finished watching the series and I'm still a bit confused about whether it is an anime or not.  If it is, then it definitely was earlier than I'd thought.  If not, then it must have been a very cheaply done knockoff of several anime series.

First off, the animation is pretty bad.  As in maybe 9 frames per second bad with lots of re-used cells.  The motion tended to be jerky as a result.  Most of the effects are very simple, even by the standards of something like Robotech or Mobile Suit Gundam.  I'd say they were a step up from Gigantor, but not by much.  Its worth noting that everyone was using either grenade launchers or ray guns, so that might indicate late 60s or early 70s...

As far as the dub aspect, it was also pretty bad.  The names for the characters seemed a bit out of place, mainly in that the timing for the names seemed off.  Then again I'm used to anime...  One of the things that struck me was how poor the sound quality was.  The microphone's they used to record the voiceovers must have been pretty old because they tended to produce a somewhat flattening effect.  Finally I'd swear that some of the characters had an Australian accent, or at least something reminescent of Mel Gibson's early work.  The soundtrack was pretty simple, but was basically in keeping with what you'd expect for an action series.  However its worth noting that I didn't hear any vocals in any of the music that they played.

The plot was pretty basic.  Evil enemy attacks and wipes out almost all the people on a planet.  The survivors seek out the mythical Phoenix, who sends a warrior to defend the survivors.  That warrior procedes to fight for the survivors and overpower the enemy...

I guess my overall opinion is that I got my money's worth.  I only paid a dollar afterall.  It was an interesting diversion, but...  As for the original question I asked... I'm still confused.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

There seem to be at least four more titles in this series. I Googled "masters of the future" and found quite a few references to online DVD shops, all German which ties in with the German sub-title on the image you posted but according to at least two of the sites I looked at 'produktion' was in the USA in 1999

So what the hell is it called, Masters of the Future, or Defenders of Space?

319782[/snapback]

well the letters are colored in rainbow so its unofficaly "gay masters in space"

edit: oh don't confuse them with robotech masters in space since both they are very simular.

Edited by Zentrandude