Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

1 hour ago, Mokman said:

I missed the end of it.  What did it go for?

I'm curious as well. I thought I saved the image but forgot. It was a good setup with a complete scene. I assumed from the final episode but I didn't check yet. I tend to go for Misa stuff over Minmay anyway unless it's a singing cel or something from Flashback.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t589368725

Someone took it to 109,000 jpy via Rinkya.....lol!!

That's double what any cel collector from Japan (e*E*M*** / 13) was willing to pay for it!  

Bid history
Bidder / Ratings Price Quantity Bid time
X*G*0*** / 26117   High bidder 54,000 yen 1 2018-09-02 21:09
e*E*M*** / 13 53,000 yen 1 2018-09-02 21:01
f*q*i*** / 27927 25,800 yen 1 2018-09-02 20:59
i*8*H*** / 169 12,800 yen 1 2018-08-27 00:03
3*l*l*** / 1334 11,800 yen 1 2018-08-26 23:28

Clearly whoever took it that high has no idea of actual market values for these items and is just desperate to get their hands on anything......makes urban's prices seem legit....maybe that was the intent....:rolleyes:

Edited by jvmacross

54,000 yen is more than I'd pay for that one, but isn't an outrageous price all things considered.  That two Rinkya bidders were fighting with each other up to 109,000 yen doesn't mean much in my opinion.  The cel still sold for only 54,000 yen.  I don't remember the Rinkya terms of service but I think the high bidder pays them fees based on the high bid, not the actual sale price.  But I could be wrong.

That is pretty much how I felt about it.  I personally did not feel the cel justified the final auction price of 500 USD.  With that said, the market indeed felt the price was justified at 500 USD.

The "Rinkya" price is irrelevant to any real indicators of market value for this specific cel.  As stated, it was just two guys caught up in a pissing contest.  

I'm not sure how it works....but when you look at the high bid via Rinkya...it's 109k jpy.....so the Rinkya bidder won...

However....I'm wondering if the seller tossed out the bid....I think he may be one of those sellers who does not allow bids from proxy bidders....but I could be confusing him with another seller....

If you want his stuff....or stuff from sellers who ban proxy bidders...you definitely can't use Rinkya

Earlier today I showed my kids my anime cel collection from when I was younger.  I bought some really nice cels about 15-20 years ago that were pretty cheap($25ish a piece maybe?).  They were obviously not original production cels at that price but I think they were either box art or used for DVD/VHS/covers? I liked them just because they are great display pieces but haven't looked at them in 10 years or so.  Anyone know where they are from?

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

9 hours ago, cjchaps said:

Earlier today I showed my kids my anime cel collection from when I was younger.  I bought some really nice cels about 15-20 years ago that were pretty cheap($25ish a piece maybe?).  They were obviously not original production cels at that price but I think they were either box art or used for DVD/VHS/covers? I liked them just because they are great display pieces but haven't looked at them in 10 years or so.  Anyone know where they are from?

DSC_0027.JPG

s-l400.jpg

???

So I was right. Final episode. I guess I know Macross pretty well even though I've watched Southern Cross and New Generation a lot more. I know I've only seen Japanese Macross completely once and that was on the Animeigo DVDs. Robotech Macross I would usually watch episodes around the big battles. I guess that's why I knew this scene. A good win for whoever got it.

Part of me isn't surprised about the seller. I think either here or somewhere I read that Japan was trying to keep its cels in Japan. This scene with original background should be something that turns up in a company or museum gallery or something since it's near a pivotal scene. The few times I've seen really good scenes many times they are with copy backgrounds.

<_< Moving on so did anyone here on MW actually win this overpriced cel?  Speak up.

In this case there were two internal Rinkya users specifically MW user eldrf and someone else.  Eldrf lost simply because the other Rinkya user outbid him.  It does not matter if it was by 100 yen or 10,000 yen; thanks to the asinine auto extend feature two or more users can get into a seemingly endless bidding war.  Lastly, if anyone really cares to learn more about how it works on Rinkya read here https://www.rinkya.com/en/page/fees  

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

17 hours ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

<_< Moving on so did anyone here on MW actually win this overpriced cel?  Speak up.

In this case there were two internal Rinkya users specifically MW user eldrf and someone else.  Eldrf lost simply because the other Rinkya user outbid him.  It does not matter if it was by 100 yen or 10,000 yen; thanks to the asinine auto extend feature two or more users can get into a seemingly endless bidding war.  Lastly, if anyone really cares to learn more about how it works on Rinkya read here https://www.rinkya.com/en/page/fees  

So in this "internal" type of auction....is the YJA seller even aware of the ongoing Rinkya bidding....sounds like the seller gets no cut in that action....

Edited by jvmacross

It is in sane what they do they make so much extra  money not including the commission so they charge they do not raise my bidding limit in time   And I sent them a message to bit higher and the person beat me by like ¥1000 !!  I think the piece is definitely worth ¥50,000 but not much more than that  I wonder if it is that urban treasures Hunter bunghole that bought it is going to sell it for like $5000 on eBay 

6 hours ago, elrdf said:

It is in sane what they do they make so much extra  money not including the commission so they charge they do not raise my bidding limit in time   And I sent them a message to bit higher and the person beat me by like ¥1000 !!  I think the piece is definitely worth ¥50,000 but not much more than that  I wonder if it is that urban treasures Hunter bunghole that bought it is going to sell it for like $5000 on eBay 

LOL....

First....you initially claimed to have lost by 300 yen (a post you quickly edited)....which means you stupidly thought it was worth over 1000 usd...that was before everyone that actually knows this collectible market said it wasn't...

Secondly, you are disparaging urbantreasurehunter for doing the exact same thing you are doing on ebay....essentially being a "bunghole" cel scalper yourself...

Why not just embrace being a bunghole instead of a hypocrite.....you are not fooling anyone

The rise of prices on classic cels is mind boggling. I haven’t bought anything in years and my collection is extremely modest. But had I known better, I would have bought a ton more back in the day. It’s like investing in Apple or Amazon stock. It only goes up :p

On 9/10/2018 at 3:28 AM, Marzan said:

The rise of prices on classic cels is mind boggling. I haven’t bought anything in years and my collection is extremely modest. But had I known better, I would have bought a ton more back in the day. It’s like investing in Apple or Amazon stock. It only goes up :p

Any good ones you remember or images that you saved? I know I was too picky and saving for possible other cels. But I wasn't looking back in the day when people got the really good stuff. I'm still upset I passed on that Minmay pan cel from DYRL a few years ago. I don't think I've seen another Minmay DYRL cel I've really liked since that one.

On 9/9/2018 at 11:54 PM, jvmacross said:

LOL....

First....you initially claimed to have lost by 300 yen (a post you quickly edited)....which means you stupidly thought it was worth over 1000 usd...that was before everyone that actually knows this collectible market said it wasn't...

Secondly, you are disparaging urbantreasurehunter for doing the exact same thing you are doing on ebay....essentially being a "bunghole" cel scalper yourself...

Why not just embrace being a bunghole instead of a hypocrite.....you are not fooling anyone

Actually I did lose around 1,000 yen more. I originally didn't want to sale my cels but I got the ending cel so I need to let go of some cels to pay for that one. Urbantreasurehunter never answers messages at all and asked like 3,700 for that particular cel which is NOT worth that much. I don't have a biz of buying and reselling cels at a higher price at the same time I happened to buy those and then bought the expensive one and had to sell the others. 

Misa Cel from DYRL......260,000 JPY 

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=583442

0001749436.octet-stream

SDFM Genga.....375,000 JPY 

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=583441

0001749434.octet-stream

Haruhiko Mikimoto signed/hand-drawn Minmay Shikishi.........66,000 JPY

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=583282

0001748919.octet-stream

wt

2 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Misa Cel from DYRL......260,000 JPY 

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=583442

0001749436.octet-stream

SDFM Genga.....375,000 JPY 

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=583441

0001749434.octet-stream

Haruhiko Mikimoto signed/hand-drawn Minmay Shikishi.........66,000 JPY

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=583282

0001748919.octet-stream

WOW!!

I think the only way that will happen is if several of the old school collectors start unloading their cel collections all at once.

I am not sure about you, but I am pretty sure my kids do not want any of my Macross stuff, including the cels....so eventually I would want to sell it all.

With that said, it seems the appetite for SDFM/DYRL cels never seems to wane.....which is a good thing! :drinks:

Of course, there's always the funeral pyre option....

6sjuxjlkxi601.gif

17 hours ago, Mokman said:

The good old days are gone it would seem.  We can only hope the pendulum swings back the other way at some point.

I doubt it as good cels are so rare that if they show up there is demand. I could have put together a nice Hikaru and Minmay setup for about $500. Today just one of those cels would probably be far more than $500. I thought collecting would be easy. But I listened to liars and was too late starting. I need to take a time machine back to the 80s or perhaps early 90s.

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I think the only way that will happen is if several of the old school collectors start unloading their cel collections all at once.

I am not sure about you, but I am pretty sure my kids do not want any of my Macross stuff, including the cels....so eventually I would want to sell it all.

With that said, it seems the appetite for SDFM/DYRL cels never seems to wane.....which is a good thing! :drinks:

Of course, there's always the funeral pyre option....

6sjuxjlkxi601.gif

What's your rubberslug gallery again?