Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

No I am not going to bid.  Too rich for my blood, especially since I already have something of both of them (essentially).  And why the kite isn't colored?  I can only guess they missed it.  It is colored in on the douga.  Might be worth a look in the anime to see what it is like in the whole sequence.

Super VF douga.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, i followed it live with other french collectors, price are now far beyond we can pay as midle class employees, the end of the collection game for us... Cels are now pieces of art, so they enter the international market of millionaires...

55 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Missed the HA action did anyone pick anything up?

Agreed about nothing ruining the potential gains, but the who knows, something is always a brewing. Be safe friends.

Not me....easily off by about 3 grand from the only item that was of any interest to me....

For about a grand more than what that Masami painting sold for, I'll be taking the kids to WDW in a few weeks....so I guess I can look at it as having a few vacations pre-paid if I ever wanted to liquidate some Macross assets....lol

15 hours ago, mokuji said:

Yes, i followed it live with other french collectors, price are now far beyond we can pay as midle class employees, the end of the collection game for us... Cels are now pieces of art, so they enter the international market of millionaires...

high-dollar art auctions have long been a favored tool for money laundering. my guess is that it's finally trickled down into smaller dollar amounts, and i doubt Russian financial sanctions have helped.

1 minute ago, jvmacross said:

LOL

i had the same reaction until a friend who worked for a pretty sizable auction house told me a "super-majority" of bidders on all art or collectibles auctions never took actual physical possession of the items anymore, and instead were sending them through freeports for money laundering purposes - even on "just" four and five digit auctions!

2 hours ago, TFunster said:

i had the same reaction until a friend who worked for a pretty sizable auction house told me a "super-majority" of bidders on all art or collectibles auctions never took actual physical possession of the items anymore, and instead were sending them through freeports for money laundering purposes - even on "just" four and five digit auctions!

So the criminals are buying these high priced items and then selling it to themselves?  Otherwise, why would anyone buy "privately" when they could just bid on the items for themselves....the ones who actually want these items and have the cash to spend on them...unless they are re-buying them at much lower prices, as sort of a "fee" for helping with the money laundering schemes....

OfficeSpace-OrlandoJones-money-launderin

19 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

So the criminals are buying these high priced items and then selling it to themselves?  Otherwise, why would anyone buy "privately" when they could just bid on the items for themselves....the ones who actually want these items and have the cash to spend on them...unless they are re-buying them at much lower prices, as sort of a "fee" for helping with the money laundering schemes....

OfficeSpace-OrlandoJones-money-launderin

the article I linked has a short description of how it using money laundering through auctions work. they aren't selling items to themselves (that's a "wash trade" and is more common among NFTs and other sham assets), but selling it to others anonymously.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Original Masami Watanabe Macross  illustration....415,000 jpy

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=681430

I guess we can now officially say these prices are no longer a fluke limited to just one auction venue...

And more importantly, why has there never been an illustration book of Masami Watanabe's collected works....a real shame, IMHO his work is just as iconic as those of Takani and Susuki, in terms of the illustrations used for Macross merchandising during the SDFM/DYRL era

Edited by jvmacross

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got a scene identification challenge for  macrossworld Macross cel collectors. I've searched and search, but alas I've haven't able to find the specific scene. 

I had assumed this head shot was of Roy's yellow valkyrie from Macross DYRL, but it appears this might not be the case. Any ideas

asoo3j5bzx_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

come on..give is something HARD LOL :)

13:39

I think it first appeared in the debut of the 'Booby Duck' a few episodes earlier.

Super nice cel btw!! 

image.png.d4ebb8ae63562c314e56499c5a2b1e43.png

Thanks Shawn. Ha, Ha, not much of a challenge was it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i've been lucky enough to justify a really great cel, and i was wondering if the experts here had opinions on this piece:

Vd1296b.jpeg

I already have another cel from the same scene that i love, and this would be a great companion. however, this would be by-far my most expensive cel so I came here for a "sanity check" before bidding.