Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

On 1/31/2021 at 11:23 PM, jvmacross said:

I have a Misa that sort of looks similar....I forgot which episode it is from....I will take a look later and if I spot yours I'll let you know....

large.20140316_110428.jpg.5cf0fcce5bfe95

Yeah, if you spot it let me know! I've got my wife convinced to watch the original series again. I started her on it years ago when we were dating and Minmei drove her nuts so we watched DYRL instead, lol. She's been fine with Frontier, Delta, and even part of 7 that we started through, just not the original. But lately she's said she'd be willing to give it a go and just ignore Minmei...I told her she doesn't really get any better, lol. But I can probably spot it on a rewatch.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else here participate in the Heritage Auction's Live International Comic & Animation Art Auction this weekend (March 13-14) which had a number of Studio Nue Macross Settei's / Model Sheets up for grabs? 

Collectors were definitely fighting it out based on the final prices with Buyer's Premiums. 

At one point when the 3rd Settei was up for bid (Armored VF-1J SOLD $11,250 w/t BP), the  auctioneer  mentioned "we definitely need to get more of these".

Armored VF-1J.jpg

VF-1J.jpg

Super VF-1S.jpg

VF-1D.jpg

Armored VF-1A.jpg

Nice.  Although the traceline damage is somewhat significant.  Didn't participate as settei do not interest me enough to own.  However that leaves one less competition for those of you who do collect, doesn't it?  :)

@Oden:  You have an awesome settei collection.  Did you manage to pick anything up to add to your large collection?

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

I figured those mecha settei on Heritage Auctions would end up going for a lot.  I was watching three DYRL Minmay cels from near the end of the movie on Yahoo! Japan Auctions (and an OP cel from Kimagure Orange Road) this morning.  The Minmays went for 245000 yen (eyes open), 129750 yen (eyes slightly closed), and 68000 yen (eyes closed - maybe I should have tried for this one).   I think they were all stuck to their douga too.  (The KOR cel, incidentally, sold for 203980 (!) yen after not receiving any bids until just before the auction ended).  The market is really competitive right now.

Sure you saw the cel from sequence A36 matching the first cel.  It included the setup storyboard and Tatsunoko envelope but did not sell. Pity none of these cels include the douga those are beautiful if you can see them in-person.

Which KOR OP cel (OVAs or TV)?  Can you post a pic?  Thanks.

i-img1200x1200-1609153897hvga8y2017864.jpg

1 minute ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Interesting.  Been searching for the first movie art for a couple decades, extremely low inventory.  When even Yann, Young, and Rick did not have any it was a good sign these are nearly impossible to obtain.

I did see a cel from the first movie on Takamura-Store's site - I think it was last year.   It was of Hikaru.  You'd have to be pretty familiar with the first movie to recognize what the cel was from (I've seen it a bunch).  But yeah, the only time I really see art from the first movie is when it's already in someone's collection.

This cel lot is still on YJA, but the seller wants 99999 yen.  :P  They come with a certificate from Mandarake, but here also the cels are stuck to the douga...

MinmayYJ_4.jpg

Yes most KOR movie cels are for Hikaru (dancing, crying, or her bang shot), few are ever for Madoka.  Got better luck finding original Kentaro Miura or Rumiko Takahashi sketches.

Saw those cels but already have one fro the same DYRL Misa sequence.  Again pity no matching unstuck dougas.

6 hours ago, Zambot3 said:

Does anyone know where these cels are from?  Came with the original sketch. One does look like a Valkyrie. If it’s obvious, apologies. More into the original series than anything else. Thank you. 

46E7230C-8960-4D57-BE39-93727FC69664.jpeg

11EFF725-00E9-4FAD-90F1-EEE2CBC31AE4.jpeg

B387785B-2235-4B6A-A882-A39EE8EEE76D.jpeg

The first one certainly has a Macross gerwalk vibe to it, but not any Macross mech I’ve ever seen.  Orguss would be a thought but I haven’t seen enough of it to be sure.  The second one I can’t say at all.

Thanks for the help. I’m stumped. Thought the first one could be Macross.  The gunpod and the vents have Valkyrie vibes. Sort of VF-1D or Super Ostrich feels. It could be Orguss, never watched the series at all.  Did have the toy which had wheels.  Maybe gerwalk mode.  Other one I have no clue.  Oh well.  Thanks for the responses. 

Edited by Zambot3

On 3/14/2021 at 2:09 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

Nice.  Although the traceline damage is somewhat significant.  Didn't participate as settei do not interest me enough to own.  However that leaves one less competition for those of you who do collect, doesn't it?  :)

@Oden:  You have an awesome settei collection.  Did you manage to pick anything up to add to your large collection?

Thanks Fortress_Maximus for the kinds words.

I indeed was able to get one, the VF-1D in fact, how could I resist.! :D

Edited by Oden

@jvmacross Gotcha!  Your awesome collection is massive so it totally makes sense! :)

PSA: 
Heritage Auctions has an upcoming auctions with loads of production anime cels with backgrounds and drawings from Akira, Angel's Egg, Ghibli movies, Robot Carnival, Lupin, Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Urusei Yatsura, Vampire Hunter D, X, and lots more. Check out this url https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?No=0&Ne=35&N=793+792+3186+4294943322 if you are looking to spend big!  Good luck all!  :D

On 3/15/2021 at 9:50 PM, Fortress_Maximus said:

That is an awesome piece!  Congratulations again on adding the VF-1D settei.  You nearly have a full set!  :D  What else you think you need to round out, or complete your set?

That is the same question I ask myself each time I buy just one more Settei. :lol: