Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

There's a pretty nice Flash Back 2012 Minmay in the current BWA:

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=639096

The starting bid is 80,000 yen, but I'm guessing it will go higher.  It's from the same sequence as one I sold to another member here almost 20 years ago (although I think that one is nicer).  The cel collecting community is a small world.

There's also a nice DYRL Minmay on YJ right now:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e452426207

Edited by ZenAmako

• 2 weeks later...

Miyatake's SDF-1 art for the Gold Book (note the date...AFTER the release of the movie...so a bit ret-conned!)
May have posted this before, but I borrowed my daughter's camera for some better quality.

Got this way back in 2001 or something when I went to Japan with Graham and Seiichi. We stopped at Mandarake and saw them in the display.
The ARMD was 13000 yen and the SDF-1 was 15000 yen...I know, a real rip-off, LOL  :P

IMG_6303.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

My most prized art piece, an original Takani of Milia's VF-1J in Gerwalk mode.
I'm just in awe at how much detail he put into his art, he is my #1 favorite artist, then Tenjin of course! :)
Got it back in 2011 for the most I've ever spent on a single Macross item, $800! (I"m not a crazy cel collector like some of you, where that would be a drop in the bucket)

If you did not remember, he had a lot of his work up for sale. This was the cheapest valkyrie, so did pooled all the pennies together.
http://www.macrossworld.com/the-ultimate-yoshiyuki-takani-macross-collection/

Again, have posted this before, but this is the first HQ pic I've uploaded of it.
This REEEEEEAAAALLLYY makes me want a Macross Box art BOOK. Maybe I could do an unauthorized one like the Transformers ones or something and not get into too much trouble. Something something fair use right?

From the Imai 1/72 Variable kit.im1300-77-box.jpg

IMG_6300.JPG

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

IMG_6305.JPG

Wait, is that white-out on there??

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

This REEEEEEAAAALLLYY makes me want a Macross Box art BOOK. Maybe I could do an unauthorized one like the Transformers ones or something and not get into too much trouble. Something something fair use right?

It's good to have a dream. :)

On 8/15/2020 at 7:42 AM, Shawn said:

Miyatake's SDF-1 art for the Gold Book (note the date...AFTER the release of the movie...so a bit ret-conned!)
May have posted this before, but I borrowed my daughter's camera for some better quality.

Got this way back in 2001 or something when I went to Japan with Graham and Seiichi. We stopped at Mandarake and saw them in the display.
The ARMD was 13000 yen and the SDF-1 was 15000 yen...I know, a real rip-off, LOL  :P

IMG_6303.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

On 8/15/2020 at 8:01 AM, Shawn said:

IMG_6300.JPG

Thanks Shawn for this share !!

Real treasures !!

Beautiful !!

@TheLoneWolf:

White-out on SDF artwork is white correction fluid...

Usually used on old original felt pen art :)

Edited by akim
White-out answer

On 8/15/2020 at 2:01 AM, Shawn said:

I'm just in awe at how much detail he put into his art, he is my #1 favorite artist, then Tenjin of course! :)
Got it back in 2011 for the most I've ever spent on a single Macross item, $800! (I"m not a crazy cel collector like some of you, where that would be a drop in the bucket)

If you did not remember, he had a lot of his work up for sale. This was the cheapest valkyrie, so did pooled all the pennies together.

Again, have posted this before, but this is the first HQ pic I've uploaded of it.

IMG_6300.JPG

Beautiful piece

On 8/14/2020 at 11:01 PM, Shawn said:

IMG_6300.JPG

Definitely a Yoshiyuki Takani treasure.  Thanks for sharing.

My gf got curious about my framed Minmay I picked up in 2008 which you can find in my post history, which led to a conversation about cel collection and checking out a few auctions. She loves the art in this current eBay auction and she thinks it would look great with the rest of the art we have on display in our home. It's obviously just background characters, but I'm not saying no to girlfriend approval for more Macross on the walls. 

My only concern is separating the cel from the paper backing for framing and display. I know it's theoretically possible, but I've never attempted it and the cel is quite old. How risky would it be to try to separate as a first-timer? Would it even be worthwhile to separate the cel from the backing? Also, do we know if the seller is a member here?

P.S. - 

On 7/30/2008 at 1:35 AM, valkyrie13 said:

My new cel collection:

post-4522-1217403116_thumb.jpg 

you in the mood to sell that Hikaru layer yet? ;) We'd love to come to Seoul to pick it up!

Edited by TFunster

4 minutes ago, TFunster said:

Also, do we know if the seller is a member here?

Yes, the seller was caught behaving badly on the cel thread here on MW, very bizarre behavior.  In short, his accounts were all permanently banned.

As for the cel, you can buy whatever you want, but know that he is also a cel scalper.  That cel, like the rest of his listings, most likely was bought straight from Yahoo Japan Auctions for 1/4 or less the current asking price on eBay.  You can probably go back and read up on his antics in this very thread.  SO buying the cel is basically just fueling his scalping of more cels, unless he gave up on his cel scalping scheme.

5 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Yes, the seller was caught behaving badly on the cel thread here on MW, very bizarre behavior.  In short, his accounts were all permanently banned.

As for the cel, you can buy whatever you want, but know that he is also a cel scalper.  That cel, like the rest of his listings, most likely was bought straight from Yahoo Japan Auctions for 1/4 or less the current asking price on eBay.  You can probably go back and read up on his antics in this very thread.  SO buying the cel is basically just fueling his scalping of more cels, unless he gave up on his cel scalping scheme.

oof, thanks for the info! i figured the price was stupid high and was going to make a "reasonable" offer, but thanks for the warning. we'll keep an eye out for similar pieces on YJ. Who is a good US proxy service nowadays?

I personally like the ease of use of Buyee.  They also happen to be the official proxy for Yahoo Japan Auctions.  It is easy to sign up and start bidding.  

Good Luck and welcome to MW and the MW Cel collecting community.  You are not saraliso with yet another fake MW account...right? LOL! :lol: :mellow:

I am sure everyone here has seen this on Ebay. The same cel being sold by different dealers for different amounts and they are using the exact same picture from Yahoo auctions. I in fact purchased one using a proxy from Yahoo auctions for a quarter of what it’s being sold for on Ebay. I have the cel but it’s still for sale on Ebay from these dealers. Same cel same picture same sequence. I wonder what would happen if someone made a purchase on Ebay. I usually check Ebay and then check if it’s for sale in Japan and normally get it cheaper through a proxy. Anyone experience this.

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

That is the latest nonsense on eBay.  It has been going on for about a year or so. 

The seller would just simply say the item is no longer available or damaged and just refund your money to keep in "good" standing on eBay so they can carry on with this practice.

Yes it is nonsense. I have a few I purchased through a proxy like Buyee and I already have the cel and it’s still on Ebay.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been a lot of great Macross cels on YJ recently from a particular seller, but they all appear to be coming down with vinegar syndrome (I'm guessing they were all stored together).  This is pretty sad to see.  There was a shot of Minmay from DYRL giving Hikaru a supicious look after he suggested they go to a hotel.  :)  The seller has a lot of other Macross cels (mainly from DYRL), but if they are vinegar-y, I wouldn't risk contaminating the rest of my collection.

I also thought this topic was just for Macross cels.   I don't get to contribute cels very often since Macross cels tend to be more than I can afford.  I have managed to pick up a few nice cels from other series, primarily 80s OVAs.  However, nice shots from other '80s anime are also becoming harder to find and more expensive.

Edited by ZenAmako