Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

1 minute ago, Mokman said:

Its not a TV cel.  Take a close look at the Macross.  I has the ARMD carriers on the arms instead of the Daedalus and Prometheus.  The quality of the artwork also seems to be much better than anything that was in the original TV series.

Exactly that’s what I noticed but I’m not sure where it’s from though.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:45 PM, TheLoneWolf said:

Whoah, that Books Nippan newsletter has some crazy romanizations! Does it happen to say what month it was written?

Thanks for posting those pics, it's great to see what anime fandom was like during the early days of the web.

I believe it came out in December 1991 because there are references in the next few pages to November 1991 being in the past and early 1992 not being there yet.

Scan Jun 2, 2019 at 2.52 PM page 1.jpg

Scan Jun 2, 2019 at 2.52 PM page 2.jpg

Scan Jun 2, 2019 at 2.54 PM.jpg

Scan Jun 2, 2019 at 2.55 PM.jpg

3 hours ago, tekering said:

How about these?

690451944_earlyMinmay.thumb.jpg.df9d1f5ec18abd36fb254c59c6e98d89.jpg

1664735332_laterMinmay.thumb.jpg.8a3ffb6fd5901ab6c206888ed9c1b6e3.jpg

Found 'em on eBay.

Fan Cels....

Everyone in the MW Cel Collector Community pretty much came to this conclusion about 3 years ago when they first emerged on YJA, then eBay.  In fact, the seller was told as much when he was trying to sell them as legit.

He eventually added to the descriptions that they were fancels.  These were originally sold/purchased on YJA for considerably more than what they are worth.

Hope no one paid more than 40 bucks for each, as you can get one done of any animated character or mecha for about that much on ebay.

5 minutes ago, MacrossManiac said:

Thanks! It's funny I just mentioned that there are never any SDF cels and this one popped up, just sucks that it's not a TV cel.

If I had the cash to spare, I'd totally jump on that cel myself.

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Is it me or did he jack up the price on it?  Thought it was listed at around 800 USD?

I still have some cash to burn :rolleyes:

No he jacked it up. It was at like $795.00 I think initially. so much for just a split second shot but a cool ass cel. Sucks that it's not from TV.

2 minutes ago, MacrossManiac said:

No he jacked it up. It was at like $795.00 I think initially. so much for just a split second shot but a cool ass cel. Sucks that it's not from TV.

it's an awesome cel, but the asking price is above "Macross II" kind of money...:db:

Still, if you are a hard core MII fan, it could be considered a priceless jewel of any MII collection

Too many things didn't seem right to me on that one.  I am not sure it is original.  Certainly doesn't have the same quality as the DYRL backgrounds I do have.  Now if the seller had offered those cels instead, they certainly would have gotten some action.

The background didn't sell the first time around so I guess everyone believes it is suspect. And probably not just too expensive seeing what some of the sketches and other stuff sold for recently.

I guess we can use this Skull leader valkyrie TV cel on Mandarake to see if more people bid on that versus the Max TV cel that ended on Yahoo Japan. Both are good cels with backgrounds. I have a feeling that the Skull leader cel will go for more than the Max one. But we'll see soon.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=607657

Well it looks like we definitely have a SCALPER in the MW forums pretending to be a honest collector.

Ebay user SARALISO is MW user ELRDF and he has been buying up cels online and attempting to resell for markups akin to the practices of well-known and hated scalpers urbantreasurehunterjapan and silvrdrago.

Currently he has 20 Macross cels on ebay and the majority were purchased within the last nine months.  He claims he "has to resell" to offset costs and that "he does not want to".  Do not be fooled and do not support this scalper who only joined MW to pump the community for information and take advantage of the MW community.

I am collecting. I did purchase many cels recently and am keeping the ones that I like. Some of the cheaper ones sold I decided to buy and resell, if not me uTHJ and others will list them at astronomical prices.  Actually, a majority of the cels after they have been sold and I get almost exactly what I paid for them. for example, a cel that I paid 50 for with all expenses of getting it here I'm at 80+ if I resell for 120-150 after ebay expenses and shipping I break even or make a few bux so it's actually beneficial. A cel that I'd sell for 200, UTHJ or silverdrago would list for 400 or so. Also, when they sell for higher prices your cels values will go up as well. 

I am pretty sure we both are...does that count? :rolleyes:

Although a very nice cel....it is just not as iconic as the recent Max VF-1A cel...

Still....these cels seem to sell higher on Mandarake all the time....who knows what that Max cel would have fetched on Mandarake...

Edited by jvmacross

6 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I am pretty sure we both are...does that count? :rolleyes:

Although a very nice cel....it is just not as iconic as the recent Max VF-1A cel...

Still....these cels seem to sell higher on Mandarake all the time....who knows what that Max cel would have fetched on Mandarake...

The Max cel didn't have the background though, it was just the cel. I also wonder, I mean you can easily verify the authenticity of the cels on YJ as you can with Mandarake. I seriously wonder who is paying so much. The last Mandarake auction had Douga selling for such high prices. I'm thinking it was one person that was bidding on all of them. The storyboard for the last episode sold for over $6,000.00.

4 hours ago, elrdf said:

I am collecting. I did purchase many cels recently and am keeping the ones that I like. Some of the cheaper ones sold I decided to buy and resell, if not me uTHJ and others will list them at astronomical prices.  Actually, a majority of the cels after they have been sold and I get almost exactly what I paid for them. for example, a cel that I paid 50 for with all expenses of getting it here I'm at 80+ if I resell for 120-150 after ebay expenses and shipping I break even or make a few bux so it's actually beneficial. A cel that I'd sell for 200, UTHJ or silverdrago would list for 400 or so. Also, when they sell for higher prices your cels values will go up as well. 

Oh...so you are providing a "service" to the cel collector community....we had you figured out all wrong! 

001.jpg