Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 7:53 AM, jvmacross said:

Nice....finally someone else who likes M7 cels...:good:

When I first read the story line and was not interested and watched Frontier before it. I finally watched M7 and really enjoyed especially with the Jenius family in it

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

Those are reproductions.  What uninformed idiot paid close to $2,000.00?!

LOL....

Clearly it was a Proxy Bidding war....the losing bid was for less than 10 bucks!  They should feel like they dodged a bullet.  This bid may tempt more to be listed, but I am not sure if the next one will go as high.

Bid history
Bidder / Ratings Price Quantity Bid time
j*d*V*** / 34660   High bidder 199,000 yen 1 2019-04-25 22:12
b*3*R*** / 24682 198,000 yen 1 2019-04-22 10:18
8*A*n*** / 277 20,000 yen 1 2019-04-21 14:06
h*v*s*** / 245 19,999 yen 1 2019-04-21 15:37

And presumably, the low rating bidders are most likely Japanese collectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here win any cels or genga off of the Mandarake Live Auction?.....

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemsListEn.html?te-uniquekey=16a8346895c

The final winning bids were high on all of them....a sampling

VF-1J SDFM TV Opening cel - 150,000 JPY

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=603931

0001847790.jpeg

VF-1J SDFM TV Opening cel - 220,000 JPY

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=603933

0001847794.jpeg

Max and Milia SDFM TV Genga - 200,000 JPY

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=603936

0001847802.jpeg

Hikaru SDFM TV Genga - 150,000 JPY

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=603934

0001847796.jpeg

I wanted the Hikaru, but when it blew past 40K I bailed....

Guess I'll have to do with my Hikaru cel....:sad:

large.139281262_Hikarucelclose-up2.jpg.a

On 5/10/2019 at 9:20 AM, jvmacross said:

Doing some organizing of my collection and found a Milky Dolls cel from the PS game Macross Digital Mission VFX......forgotten I even had it! :wacko:

large.20190509_200012.jpg.63a189c45efb8a

At around the 1:32 mark in the video....

Man i love that game. :wub:

SDFM Cel....120,000 JPY

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e354057043

Nice cel, but not sure it's "$1200 USD nice"....

SDFM douga.....63,000 JPY

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/384750415

And if you think this is too much....wait until the next one ends in a few minutes....two fools are currently caught in a bidding war at the moment...will post final auction value when it's over...stay tuned!!! 

giphy.gif

One of those times where the losing bidder could be considered the actual winner.....

SDFM - Hikaru/Misa douga.........110,890 JPY

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e354057063

g*6*p*** / 27883   High bidder 110,890 yen 1 2019-05-06 13:39
R*d*w*** / 35289 109,890 yen 1 2019-05-13 01:04
b*n*R*** / 146 33,000 yen 1 2019-05-12 23:11
3*l*l*** / 1344 31,000 yen 1

2019-05-12 23:07

So essentially the results of a bidding war between two proxy bidding fools....

The highest amount a, most likely, Japanese bidder was willing to spend on it was around 300 USD....a reasonable amount

I guess one good thing about this is that for current cel collectors/owners.....the value of their collections can be expected to skyrocket?

The bad news is the ability to continue to add to said collections keeps getting more expensive...

I suppose another good thing is that it can probably be assumed that  some of these sales went to folks that are not looking to resell....but then again, the flipside is that it will just embolden the likes of our ebay and local scumbag resellers to keep pillaging YJA for "treasures" to resell at triple the final auction prices on ebay...;)

12 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

One of those times where the losing bidder could be considered the actual winner.....

SDFM - Hikaru/Misa douga.........110,890 JPY

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e354057063

g*6*p*** / 27883   High bidder 110,890 yen 1 2019-05-06 13:39
R*d*w*** / 35289 109,890 yen 1 2019-05-13 01:04
b*n*R*** / 146 33,000 yen 1 2019-05-12 23:11
3*l*l*** / 1344 31,000 yen 1

2019-05-12 23:07

So essentially the results of a bidding war between two proxy bidding fools....

The highest amount a, most likely, Japanese bidder was willing to spend on it was around 300 USD....a reasonable amount

I guess one good thing about this is that for current cel collectors/owners.....the value of their collections can be expected to skyrocket?

The bad news is the ability to continue to add to said collections keeps getting more expensive...

I suppose another good thing is that it can probably be assumed that  some of these sales went to folks that are not looking to resell....but then again, the flipside is that it will just embolden the likes of our ebay and local scumbag resellers to keep pillaging YJA for "treasures" to resell at triple the final auction prices on ebay...;)

These auctions were crazy. Get out the warm popcorn indeed.  But are you really surprised at the prices?  It's been trending that way for some time. Not to reopen the whole "scalper" thing but, something is "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  These items are worth their price because they got buyers, and we should expect that this is the current market.  All it takes is a few buyers to change the market anyway. FWIW, at these prices, for single pieces, I don't think they were bought to be resold (at least immediately), so I tend to think these are going in private collections. Some of the prices on these may also be a reflection of what happens when the supply is so lean for so long (and of poor quality) that when something half way decent comes up demand increases.  

42 minutes ago, tepidarium said:

These auctions were crazy. Get out the warm popcorn indeed.  But are you really surprised at the prices?  It's been trending that way for some time. Not to reopen the whole "scalper" thing but, something is "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay for it.  These items are worth their price because they got buyers, and we should expect that this is the current market.  All it takes is a few buyers to change the market anyway. FWIW, at these prices, for single pieces, I don't think they were bought to be resold (at least immediately), so I tend to think these are going in private collections. Some of the prices on these may also be a reflection of what happens when the supply is so lean for so long (and of poor quality) that when something half way decent comes up demand increases.  

There is a difference between a stable market price for anything...meaning an average price you should reasonably expect to pay for something....and outliers caused by bidding wars between 2 individuals....it is not like there were several folks willing to take these items to those absorbidant final auction prices...in fact, not all of them went that high...

The one thing to take away from this is that you would be a fool to let someone convince you of the price for something based on a few crazy prices....

I do not see the consistency of these wild prices to be any indication of them being representative of the "current market"...

Bidding wars cause these anomalies in pricing every now and then...

Perhaps I am also at fault by simply pointing out only the "sensational" final auction values...the truth is there were also some cels and dougas that sold for fair market value....but those aren't as exciting to talk about I suppose...

46 minutes ago, Mokman said:

My max on that cel was $450.  That didn't even make me the high bidder for a short period of time, lol.

The cel was very nice, however I was concerned with the warping and the seller's comment that it had a vinegar (syndrome) odor :o.

These were some good old dotcom era flame bidding wars!  :lol:  Some of the dougas were good and from an important sequence, but are they really worth the final price?  The only one I think ended at a reasonable price was the solo Hikaru one, all the rest went well over value due to bidding wars.  One of the highest priced ones was the Hikaru's helmet reflection, considering the extremely poor condition it was in, it is not worth the final price.  The douga for Millia was overpriced and especially Gloval's cel; I watched both, but once it passed certain markers, it was foolish to continue with the asinine bidding war. 

Congratulations to whomever won these old dougas and cels! :)  I truly hope you do your best to protect them from increased deterioration.  Japanese collectors are known for not adequately protecting their artwork, so odds are the cel with vinegar syndrome impacted other artwork stored with it.  If you won that specific cel, do your best to quarantine it and let us know how things progress.  Good luck!

33 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

These were some good old dotcom era flame bidding wars!  :lol:  Some of the dougas were good and from an important sequence, but are they really worth the final price?  The only one I think ended at a reasonable price was the solo Hikaru one, all the rest went well over value due to bidding wars.  One of the highest priced ones was the Hikaru's helmet reflection, considering the extremely poor condition it was in, it is not worth the final price.  The douga for Millia was overpriced and especially Gloval's cel; I watched both, but once it passed certain markers, it was foolish to continue with the asinine bidding war. 

Congratulations to whomever won these old dougas and cels! :)  I truly hope you do your best to protect them from increased deterioration.  Japanese collectors are known for not adequately protecting their artwork, so odds are the cel with vinegar syndrome impacted other artwork stored with it.  If you won that specific cel, do your best to quarantine it and let us know how things progress.  Good luck!

Yes! We all love the episode 27 black and white sequence :)  I was watching those dougas and it was quite something to see the prices they realized. I've not seen those prices for dougas. Still, it's Misa, and she's smiling (which is a rarity) so the price goes higher?  

Vinegar syndrome is scary. It's good of the seller to mention it, and I hope the buyer knows to keep it away from other cels.

10 hours ago, tepidarium said:

The cel was very nice, however I was concerned with the warping and the seller's comment that it had a vinegar (syndrome) odor :o.

I think a friend of mine found the cure for vinegar syndrome. He wasn't keeping track of it. But he said that one day he checked the cel and the smell was gone. I remember smelling the cel when he got it and it was so potent that it was like putting your nose in a vinegar bottle. It was unmistakable. One of those you know it when you smell it things. That was the first time I came across vinegar syndrome. But I'm going to check it out the next time I visit.

Oh wonderful more asinine anecdotal tales without an ounce of empirical evidence.

Please do not be mislead by the grossly misinformed and uneducated.

To clarify, vinegar syndrome is NOT curable.  There are NO proven methods to stop or reverse the damage caused by vinegar syndrome.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

Just found this awesome video, behind the scenes at the production studio making of Macross DYRL!!! at around 15 min you see the studio and them drawing. The first part is minmei singing songs live its a really cool video!!

Edited by elrdf

2 hours ago, elrdf said:

Just found this awesome video, behind the scenes at the production studio making of Macross DYRL!!! at around 15 min you see the studio and them drawing. The first part is minmei singing songs live its a really cool video!!

Old news....posted just over 2 years ago....LOL ;)

I think there may be some foul play with Rinkya. I bid 6 days before the auction ending a very high price on some cels that previously sold. They weren't worth but a few hundred dollars. They ended up selling for 1-1.5k I think that Rinkya knew the amounts and had some type of internal bidding to jack the price up somehow to earn higher commissions/fees. Thoughts?