Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

7 hours ago, juice14 said:

Went a bit nuts and got a few of these.... didn't think it through since shipping was a killer... wonder what I'll find! 

Did any of the pics contain anime you collect? How about the listed anime?

I don't collect anything else but Macross and can't recognize any of the characters on the pics....good luck!

At worst you can list them for a dollar each on ebay.....no one would accuse you of being a scalper at that starting bid....lol!

I have gotten lucky on some "cel lots"....but not lucky in terms of finding a Macross cel.....I knew the Macross cel was included....it was the seller placing it into a lot that basically kept the price low......I've said it before...as a seller...never sell anything as a "lot"...you will never achieve the best results

On 10/8/2018 at 7:53 PM, jvmacross said:

Did any of the pics contain anime you collect? How about the listed anime?

I don't collect anything else but Macross and can't recognize any of the characters on the pics....good luck!

At worst you can list them for a dollar each on ebay.....no one would accuse you of being a scalper at that starting bid....lol!

Found these Astroboy cels in the 1st box..... 1st bunch of stuff I leafed through. Amazing....43633737_10156516073215482_796871662116012032_o.jpg.a837bf39fe740e5a4bb32ee77c3901e4.jpg

Found someone named "Ariel Lis" on facebook soliciting cels for sale. Not sure if he is anyone here on MW possibly lurking and posting about cels to sell.  These same cels appear on ebay currently or were sold recently.  Is this a reputable user/seller? Or is he a scalper? Thanks for the insight!

ariel_lis.jpg

Edited by zard
update pic

8 hours ago, zard said:

Found someone named "Ariel Lis" on facebook soliciting cels for sale. Not sure if he is anyone here on MW possibly lurking and posting about cels to sell.  These same cels appear on ebay currently or were sold recently.  Is this a reputable user/seller? Or is he a scalper? Thanks for the insight!

ariel_lis.jpg

Well....to determine scalper status....see what the cel originally sold for on YJA...if the selling price is considerably more then it is what it is.....

Most of those cels have been ID'd on Macrossworld as being scalper goods...

Feel free to inform Facebook cel collectors of their status or at minimum...original purchase prices so folks can make better informed purchasing decisions

33 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Well....to determine scalper status....see what the cel originally sold for on YJA...if the selling price is considerably more then it is what it is.....

Feel free to inform Facebook cel collectors of their status or at minimum...original purchase prices so folks can make better informed purchasing decisions

I think the term scalper is totally subjective.... who would not like to make money? You should see the real estate situation in Singapore and how the government stopped inflation by introducing tons of restrictions haha. In this case since we don't own the market I strongly believe in making an informed choice so totally support the exposure of the original purchase prices. After that it boils down to individual valuation..... I have seen Ariel's cels and prices and we are very far in valuation so no deal. 

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

This seems to be a very liberal minded anti capitalism  way of thinking .  I’m selling these at a higher price to pay off a cel that I paid way way too much for.  When I initially purchased him I did not think of reselling them at all. I don’t owe anyone an exclamation  as well. I’m not a scalper and have not made a business out of this, I have my own business doing other types of things.  You remind me of the type of person that would remind the teacher that she forgot to issue homework haha.   There is nothing wrong for someone to buy something for a dollar and sell it for two.  I’m actually surprised with myself that I have wasted time typing this message..

1 hour ago, juice14 said:

I think the term scalper is totally subjective.... 

Well, except when it's pretty cut and dry.....

When you have someone buying a cel and then trying to sell it for double within a short amount of time from the initial purchase....that seems like scalping....

All some of us are trying to do it keep cel buyers well-informed so they can make better buying decisions.....with such info in-hand, if they still like being scalped, then that would be their perogative :unknw:

2 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Well, except when it's pretty cut and dry.....

When you have someone buying a cel and then trying to sell it for double within a short amount of time from the initial purchase....that seems like scalping....

All some of us are trying to do it keep cel buyers well-informed so they can make better buying decisions.....with such info in-hand, if they still like being scalped, then that would be their perogative :unknw:

I would categorize someone like that "notifies others of the price it 'should' be" as a person that tries to destroy someone else's livelihood. No business would be open if it did not buy low and sell high. Do you expect every item you buy whether it be food or whatever to be sold to you for cost? How would a business be able to  offer jobs and pay employees so that they can support their families? Trying to be some type of "justice warrior" or something? Why don't you try to keep the world "well-informed" on the cost of goods as they come out of china checking the prices for what they buy on alibaba or something like that? haha

47 minutes ago, elrdf said:

This seems to be a very liberal minded anti capitalism  way of thinking .  I’m selling these at a higher price to pay off a cel that I paid way way too much for.  When I initially purchased him I did not think of reselling them at all. I don’t owe anyone an exclamation  as well. I’m not a scalper and have not made a business out of this, I have my own business doing other types of things.  You remind me of the type of person that would remind the teacher that she forgot to issue homework haha.   There is nothing wrong for someone to buy something for a dollar and sell it for two.  I’m actually surprised with myself that I have wasted time typing this message..

Nah...I am just "anti-letting-fellow-collectors-get-fukked-over-by-bunghole-scalpers"

LOL....you admit you are scalping your cels due to being uninformed about the value of what you purport to collect....and now after leeching off of this site....you are beginning to get a better idea that your cels and many others are not worth what you think they are....which I guess is a good thing, we are here to help!

You are correct, nothing wrong with buying low and selling high.....but at the same time, there s nothing wrong with informing your potential buyers of what you originally paid for the cels you are trying to scalp....That is fair, right?

4 minutes ago, elrdf said:

I would categorize someone like that "notifies others of the price it 'should' be" as a person that tries to destroy someone else's livelihood. No business would be open if it did not buy low and sell high. Do you expect every item you buy whether it be food or whatever to be sold to you for cost? How would a business be able to  offer jobs and pay employees so that they can support their families? Trying to be some type of "justice warrior" or something? Why don't you try to keep the world "well-informed" on the cost of goods as they come out of china checking the prices for what they buy on alibaba or something like that? haha

LOL....so basically if Ford Dealer #1 is selling you a Mustang GT for $35K you should buy it right away before trying to see if you can get a better deal at Ford Dealer #2.....are you that dumb?  You know there are websites out there that help you compare prices for almost everything right?  It's called being an informed customer...do you have something against that?

So basically, you are saying people should be kept in the dark about their purchases?  Seems you are just butt-hurt because you can't screw people over so easily as you had hoped...didn't work here and now you are trying on facebook....

001.jpg

I dont' scalp as a business. Like I said, these cels I wanted to keep but I dished out A LOT on 1 cel so need to recoup those funds selling these cels for a higher price. People can send me offers and I've accepted much lower offers. I personally think you have a  lot of free time on your hands man, you did crack me up with this comment though haha

"Nah...I am just "anti-letting-fellow-collectors-get-fukked-over-by-bunghole-scalpers""

The cel community is small compared to other collectible communities.  Since cels have stopped being used in production, the cel community and especially the anime cel community has largely gone underground.  New cel collectors and outsiders have a difficult time understanding why members of the cel community share information.  MW is one of a few active online cel communities.  In the MW cels section we promote education, discussion, and sharing our collective knowledge about artwork preservation, analysis, forgeries, sellers (scalpers), trends, etc,, because we want others to make good informed decisions. 

Sometimes people join MW and particularly our cel community and they constantly ask to buy, seek information, or dump stuff on others, without contributing anything; when this happens it can easily feel like the person is trying to take advantage.  Also no one advocates supporting scalpers or sellers who would effectively profit by taking advantage of others.

Cel collecting is NOT for the faint of heart, financially inexperienced, or undisciplined.  It is all too easy for new collectors to get into debt, make avoidable mistakes, or feel forced to sell.  Anyone is free to buy and resell their possessions as they deem fit.  However, in a free market economy the public (in this case MW cel community) has every right to question unknown strangers (buyers and sellers alike) and prices.  Furthermore, no one should fault a Macross cel collector for exercising caution and seeking advice when a seller is not vouched for by others.  Keep in mind MW has a SSL (safe sellers list) for the exact reason to warn other members so they can make informed decisions before dealing with a specific member.  Caveat emptor.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

8 minutes ago, Fortress_Maximus said:

The cel community is small compared to other collectible communities.  Since cels have stopped being used in production, the cel community and especially the anime cel community has largely gone underground.  New cel collectors and outsiders have a difficult time understanding why members of the cel community share information.  MW is one of a few active online cel communities.  In the MW cels section we promote education, discussion, and sharing our collective knowledge about artwork preservation, analysis, forgeries, sellers (scalpers), trends, etc,, because we want others to make good informed decisions. 

Sometimes people join MW and particularly our cel community and they constantly ask to buy, seek information, or dump stuff on others, without contributing anything; when this happens it can easily feel like the person is trying to take advantage.  Also no one advocates supporting scalpers or sellers who would effectively profit by taking advantage of others.

Cel collecting is NOT for the faint of heart, financially inexperienced, or undisciplined.  It is all too easy for new collectors to get into debt, make avoidable mistakes, or feel forced to sell.  Anyone is free to buy and resell their possessions as they deem fit.  However, in a free market economy the public (in this case MW cel community) has every right to question unknown strangers (buyers and sellers alike) and prices.  Furthermore, no one should fault a Macross cel collector for exercising caution and seeking advice when a seller is not vouched for by others.  Keep in mind MW has a SSL (safe sellers list) for the exact reason to warn other members so they can make informed decisions before dealing with a specific member.  Caveat emptor.

Very well said !!  And I agree with you wholeheartedly no one could’ve said it better than you 

@ eldrf:  I asked about the unknown facebook user because the posts can be viewed publicly. Like others in this group, I enjoy viewing cool art like cels, and I was pondering perhaps buying some. But I could not locate the users selling history on facebook, mw, or other cel communities, so I asked here, but no one vouches for you.

I find your defensiveness quite alarming. I asked if the unknown facebook user was reputable, which is a legitimate question when dealing with strangers online. You seem relatively new to cel collecting and the mw community too based on your previous posts. Why are you so offended? We all start somewhere as collectors; decades ago I use to collect but stopped and I am considering restarting but I am not familiar with the re-sellers and dealers anymore. Is it an offense to ask MWers for help? If you feel I am calling you out, that is not my intention but, it seems like that is the result and you've spotlighted yourself by being so defensive and condescending towards me and others.  Did you not understand FM was questioning people who buy and then resell because they feel they must? In my experience unplanned selling tends to be due to poor financial choices. 

Anyways, what you are attempting to do is majorly overprice your cels to help offset the expensive of an unplanned overpriced cel purchase. Also after reading most of this long cel thread I find it  ironic how in one breath you condemn known cel scalpers like UTBJ yet you buy from him (so you end up rewarding his bad behavior), but YOU ARE DOING THE SAMETHING AS UTHJ. You are attempting to resell cels at huge inflated prices when those cels are not worth anything close to what you bought or are asking. If nothing else I find this UNETHICAL behavior and HIGHLY HYPOCRITICAL to say the least. 

Edited by zard

31 minutes ago, Mokman said:

So who has something cool to share from their collection?  Here is one of my prized items from a "secret" section of my RS gallery.

IMG_3354.JPG

That would look great next to the Kid Logic 1/6 VF-1 cockpit diorama....

This is what is sorely missing on this thread....posts of actual cels and other related art...

Instead we get leeches, scalpers and general bungholes who contribute nothing to this community and just want to siphon out information for their less than admirable uses.....

2 hours ago, elrdf said:

Very well said !!  

Indeed....the entire middle paragraph was aimed straight at you.....so you are either too stupid to realize that or you were mocking Fortress for his correct observations

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

This is what is sorely missing on this thread....posts of actual cels and other related art...

Well my intention was to start a string of people sharing something from their collection.

May I humbly suggest we take a break for a little bit from commenting on the conduct of others and get back to sharing the enjoyment of this common interest we have.

So only posts of artwork for a while please. :)

Who is next?

Edited by Mokman

5 minutes ago, Mokman said:

So only posts of artwork for a while please. :)

You may have to open up your secret stash some more to achieve that goal...I myself am currently spent....think I already posted my latest acquisitions....

Or maybe elrdf can actually contribute to this community and maybe post a pic of the cel he keeps whining about that drove him to become a scalper?  Maybe it's the one he originally claimed he lost by 300 yen....LOL!

JV you are still commenting about people instead of sharing something. :)

Here is the companion piece to my previous share.  They have been in my RS gallery for years.  You just have to know where to look.  And yes these are the originals by Kawamori, not copies.

IMG_3355.JPG

7 minutes ago, Mokman said:

JV you are still commenting about people instead of sharing something. :)

Here is the companion piece to my previous share.  They have been in my RS gallery for years.  You just have to know where to look.  And yes these are the originals by Kawamori, not copies.

IMG_3355.JPG

@Mokman what search term would you use for these in YJA? Original colored art by Kawamori! *faintz*