Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

Exactly!  The main reason why the tracker went down was because the person maintaining it said there basically was no point.  There are less than six dedicated dealers domestically, and handful of scumbag POS scalpers (which we identified and discussed in this thread).  The rest of the dealers are closed. 

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

There is hardly anything on ebay you should feel bad about losing out on since 99% of the time you could have bought it off YJA if you really wanted it.......buying off ebay usually means you are supporting a POS scalper as Fortress has stated...

I have never seen a cel on one of the dealer sites that hasn't sat on the site collecting digital dust before someone finally bends over for it....so basically Anime Link....

So basically, the scenario that is worse is losing a cel via YJA......if there is any shill bidding going on at YJA it never really goes beyond what the cel is really worth....shill bidders don't want to get stuck with something they really do not want so they drop off before the real bidding starts....

I have to say the biggest problem on YJA cel auctions is urbantreasurehunter....the guy bids on everything.....but if it is something you really want, he will usually back off as he has to make a profit out of the purchase/sale......but he does make the sale go higher than it would sometimes....so that would be the closest thing to a shill bidder, although I think the definition of a shill bidder is one that is either the seller himself or a buddy artificially making the price go higher with no intention of actually being the high bidder....

Yes jvmacross you are correct.  You accurately defined a shill bidder and the state of evilbay's inventory.  Also concur the biggest issue for existing cel collectors now are POS scalpers like urbantreasurehunterjapan and small wannabe's like silvrdrago and saraliso.  No scalper helps other people let alone collectors.  Scalpers are just self-centered, greedy and directly creating more problems for the average collector.  As harsh as it may sound, either you beat them at their own game or quit the game entirely.

It's true, I didn't mention that my eBay comment related to auctions that are now over 15 years old! I bought quite a number of excellent cels that I treasure on eBay in the late 90s and early 2000s. 

As for shill bidding on YJ, one can never really know if it is occurring but I believe Rinkya, at one point, only used one user name which allowed for easy identification of the bidding service and could possibly have served to motivate shill bidders.

Cel inventory circa late 1990s to early 2000s is vastly different than today.  Gone are the multitude of cel dealers.  Gone are the excellent selection from dealers, online, and even with cel communities.  Gone are the annual sales.  Gone are even the majority of sellers and suppliers to them.  Point is what is left are scraps and these POS scalpers are merely worsening the collecting environment.

As for shill bidding it is a moot point after YJA changed how usernames appear and how activities can be tracked.  Now you can be bidding but you neither know against whom and you cannot determine the final winner.  IMO, just focus on the real issue, namely whether or not to stay in the cel collecting game or not.  That is the only thing ultimately that you can control, everything else, is noise.  Good luck.

The "boom" in cel collecting during the early internet years was a one and done. Small-time dealers setting up virtual shops online with low overhead and a generation of people demanding production art from the last wave of celluloid animated productions with good supply from the origin country all came together to create the market as it was.  Yes, it's been bone dry for some time. 

Mandarake is the only place that consistently seems to have some interesting cels these days....but the prices seem to always go higher that YJA for some reason....and you know they are either paying next to nothing for them or charging a high commission to sell them on their site....

Mandarake is famous for low balling offer prices when buying from private collectors.  I've worked with them in the past and they are terrible if you ever consider consignment.  Also their final sale prices generally go higher because there is simply more interest.  Some of their items listed over 10,000 yen will come with a certificate which in and of itself is utterly useless and not worth anything.  But to some collectors they feel it is like a certificate of authenticity.  Also final sale prices for their store, auctions, and BWA are generally higher than YJA largely due to collectors being aware they refresh inventory, so if they want the item they must fight hard to own it.  On YJA and evilbay  items can languish for years, which is of no benefit to anyone.  Moreover compared to cel dealers, Mandarake has a deep pipeline that no one can match.  But as the previous comments noted, none of this matters unless you the collector are willing to participate or allow bastard scumbag POS like urbantreasurehunterjapan and the numerous wannabes to continue to operate.

I can't remember if it was posted but does anyone have those Macross limited reproduction cels from the opening of the old Sega Saturn game?

There was one of Hikaru from pretty much this shot. Also one of Minmay from I assume the ending, I haven't played the game in a while. And also do you know how / where those were sold originally? I think they were sold framed but I can't remember. I'm pretty sure they came with some kind of numbered certificate. Thanks.

Yes they come with a certificate from Anime World Star.  It states that they were released on 7/22/2000, at a price of 30,000 JPY for the set, and are limited to 100 sets.  They are indeed reproductions of game footage that was not originally created with cels.  Mine are #71 and #75 (I didn't buy them at the same time/from the same source).  Of interest, I took the back off one and discovered they are hand painted cels on copy backgrounds, not printed cels as some limited editions are.

Edited by Mokman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear gurus,

Recently won the following cel off Yahoo Auctions.... Seller marked it as a large size.... was wondering how this size ended up being used in production? Its about 25% larger than all my other cels at 38x33cm. Anyone know?

97d0ce.jpg.d071b32127ac62a094b100ea303c451f.jpg

Edited by juice14

1 hour ago, juice14 said:

Dear gurus,

Recently won the following cel off Yahoo Auctions.... Seller marked it as a large size.... was wondering how this size ended up being used in production? Its about 25% larger than all my other cels at 38x33cm. Anyone know?

Usually an oversized cel is used for a scene that the director wants to pan....not as familiar with the M7 episodes so not sure which episode or scene it was used in......time for a rewatch? :unknw:

43 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Usually an oversized cel is used for a scene that the director wants to pan....not as familiar with the M7 episodes so not sure which episode or scene it was used in......time for a rewatch? :unknw:

Ooh..... I must confess I only managed 3/4 and the rest was on fast forward haha..... yeah is time for M7 again :)

2 hours ago, juice14 said:

Ooh..... I must confess I only managed 3/4 and the rest was on fast forward haha..... yeah is time for M7 again :)

LOL....the problem with M7 is that it starts so slow.....gets better at the end....only 1/4 left for you....do it! LOL

Nice collection....I like the Fire Valk cel!

6 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

LOL....the problem with M7 is that it starts so slow.....gets better at the end....only 1/4 left for you....do it! LOL

Nice collection....I like the Fire Valk cel!

Thanks..... its the only one I have that is of a Valk ... I like that it has different layers with artwork and background.... Now all I need is one with a VF-1 too.... 

8 minutes ago, juice14 said:

Thanks..... its the only one I have that is of a Valk ... I like that it has different layers with artwork and background.... Now all I need is one with a VF-1 too.... 

...That's what you think is all you need....after you get that VF-1 cel you'll want to get your hands on a cel of every hand-drawn VF ever made!

Welcome to the cel collector club....all you need to join is moneyTM

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

...That's what you think is all you need....after you get that VF-1 cel you'll want to get your hands on a cel of every hand-drawn VF ever made!

Welcome to the cel collector club....all you need to join is moneyTM

giphy.gif

I was thinking start with 1J..... then maybe Fokker 1S..... then.... haha

17 hours ago, juice14 said:

Dear gurus,

I've seen a few larger and pan sized Macross cels before. I posted that Minmay DYRL one before that I should have purchased.

On 8/25/2018 at 11:03 PM, jvmacross said:

Added another TV pilot Hikaru....bought it to match the similarly posed DYRL pilot Hikaru cel I have....maybe I can mount them on a double frame...

large.20180718_101402.jpg.3cb77d0836e9fa

Man this one is a nice one..... full view.... great reference for my future uniform haha

Didn't feel the cel justified the final auction value....back of Hikaru's and Minmay's heads = easy pass

Of course that wouldn't matter to the scumbag scalpers operating on ebay these days since they will double the prices on them anyways.....hopefully someone who was actually buying it for their own enjoyment nabbed it