Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That Ishtar genga is beautiful, jv.... :wub:

And

Thanks for the 'open box' look at the cel painting kit, garyboy! :)

Edited by AcroRay

• 2 weeks later...

Around $50 for the two character and $35 for the single character......so as you very well know, a fraction of the cost of an original production cel......very nice quality, but the choice in colors could have been tweaked a bit....the artist is very responsive and if I had cared to be more "involved" in the process...I'm sure the colors could have been more "on-screen" accurate....In short, a very well done hand-painted fancel....I'm satisfied with it and will probably commission some mech cels next....

As for the background....It is laser printed...I did not ask if she could hand paint one, but pretty sure she could if you wanted to go that far with it....money talks as they say! ^_^

funny enough I sorta got that impression of Max also.. although DYRL was definitely a lot more violent and graphic than SDFM.. like they stepped it up to be more of an adult release.

Hehe! Max a closet psychopath! joining the defense force gave him an outlet for what was bottled up inside!

Yeah, I had one of those Macross Cel Painting Kits, and I did paint two of them, but I didn't paint directly on the cel. Instead, I did the smart thing and actually traced the lineart onto a blank cel of my own and applied the paint directly to that. I was actually quite pleased with the results. I did one of Minmay laughing after she and Hikaru were rescued from under Macross City, and one of Minmay sleeping with her head on Hikaru's shoulder. What's funny is that the colouring instructions actually give the wrong colours, the uniform that Minmay wears after her shower is supposed to be olive-like, but the kit tells you it's white. Well, I decided to go for the more screen-accurate one. It should be somewhere in my mother's house in the UK, but I don't know where. :(

Yeah, I remember I took a photo of me *holding* it, but that was before digital cameras, so I don't know where that photo is now, either! :p

Anyway, here is one of my latest acquisitions which I *didn't* paint! ;) Just need to find a nice frame and display it now... Which is easier said than done...

post-1318-0-83414800-1431351172_thumb.jpg