Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Golly, I haven't checked MW in a while and now I see jvmacross is the true Macross cell collector connoisseur these days. It used to just be a handful of Macross cel collectors like Mokman and I and a few others several years ago bidding on these. Glad I retired from the cel game, no way I can compete anymore.

Stuff is looking nice!

Golly, I haven't checked MW in a while and now I see jvmacross is the true Macross cell collector connoisseur these days. It used to just be a handful of Macross cel collectors like Mokman and I and a few others several years ago bidding on these. Glad I retired from the cel game, no way I can compete anymore.

Stuff is looking nice!

Coming from the "creator" of the thread...I appreciate your comments....and if indeed you are retired...you did so with some of the best cels out there...so enjoy your retirement! :)

Here is the latest from my ongoing quest to complete a set of Protodeviln crew cels....

Gigile....

gallery_12176_600_1821757.jpg

Only need Valgo now.....

Here are the rest of my Protodeviln cels.....

Gepelnitch....

gallery_12176_600_35477.jpg

Gavil.....

gallery_12176_600_354637.jpg

Sivil.....

gallery_12176_600_51805.jpg

Glavil.....

gallery_12176_600_115196.jpg

Goram and Zomb......

gallery_12176_600_2349004.jpg

What I really need at this point is a really nice VF-2SS cel or an Ishtar.....my cel collection continues to have a Macross II void.... ;)

I have been semi-retired myself. In my opinion the quality of available Macross cels has been low for some time, but strangely, the prices have been high. The same dozen or so cels have been up on Yahoo Japan for as long as I can remember (I don't collect Macross 7 so none of those interest me). I still keep track though of what is going on with the various sources in hopes a "must have" item shows up.

Here is the last thing I bought, a couple of months ago now I think.

nyvcakbiar_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. It looks like line fading to me. Common on cels the age of Macross. I don't know if it is caused by fading exactly, or oxidation, but the lines that were transfered to the cel from the pencil drawing will start to turn red/brown over time. It is one indicator of age on a cel, which for this specific one is a good thing, because if any scene from Macross is popular for counterfeiting, I would say it would be that one. If a cel proporting to be from that scene didn't show the age of line fading I would be very suspicious about its authenticity. Still, for the starting bid price, I would still be very cautious.

I don't know why they aren't showing multiple images and the uncovered cel in that auction. Nudity or not for the price they are asking we need to see what they are selling. I first thought fake. I'm still not certain.

It appears it sold. Unfortunately, I believe the winner to have a dud.

It helps to have a digital copy of the movie to step through. Upon inspection, there are more than enough discrepancies (missing highlight/shadow, hair color filled in where it should not be) to question its authenticity - should it be purported from the movie (which it appears it was), rather than a hanken.

While I do not believe there is a valid market to counterfeit cels now, it does still stand to reason to be wary of counterfeits produced when there was indeed a market for them.

The prices for Macross cels have gone through the roof. I can no longer add anything to my extremely modest collection.

I think almost any key cel will go for a lot now with all anime / cartoons going the CG route. I was logging this last week and unless I noted the auction wrong this is a lot of money for a genga.

post-15104-0-69642100-1420573209_thumb.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I think almost any key cel will go for a lot now with all anime / cartoons going the CG route. I was logging this last week and unless I noted the auction wrong this is a lot of money for a genga.

attachicon.gifMacross_Hikaru_&_Misa_Genga_Mikimoto_2,302,200_Yen.jpeg

Almost $20K for that?! I mean its awesome but damn...

Edited by TangledThorns