Macross/Animation Cel Collection Thread

baronv

BTW, some guy on ebay has been selling a substantial amount of SDFM cels. I actually bid on one with Shammy and Kim but missed out (don't have the funds ahhh). There still some left with a couple of interesting mecha.

a guy was selling dyrl cels at sdcc this year, those were over $1k. dang i like macross but i guess not that much. i did get one of those dyrl movie posters though. :)

Do you recall the dealers name?

There is a cel of Minmay falling from the opening sequence of DYRL on Yahoo Japan auctions. For some reason no one is buying it.

On 10/5/2012 at 12:29 PM, JetJockey said:

There is a cel of Minmay falling from the opening sequence of DYRL on Yahoo Japan auctions. For some reason no one is buying it.

I'd say there are about 35,000 reasons! ;)

Some minmay cels I added to my collection.....

large.Minmay.jpg.d229261bbdb8aff12d47e21

large.20180413_232929.jpg.dee76910eca8f7

:wub:

Edited by jvmacross

I'd say there are about 35,000 reasons! ;)

It is a pan cel. I guess it needs to be an original Mikimoto sketch to get people interested. I saw some of those recently and the prices were crazy.

didnt ask his name. was just in vendor area. but he had folders of a bunch of other anime too. i thought the numbers on the cels were serial numbers or file numbers but was the price. lol

Try to get the name next time. People are always telling me about dealers with expensive cels. But they don't seem to have online shops.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gif762130-9014664-0000467146.jpeg

attachicon.gif762131-2315710-0000467148.jpeg

Really strange as artwork...What could it be written?

It seems coming from old Macross Movie staff...

So interesting... I see Itano, Anno, and Itamori (Kawamori and Itano mixed name)... "Anno (Niichan) has said it is fool and idiot" ,"Make a phone call to me (about at midnight)", "I will sleep a little. Itano"... I can see the atmosphere of making SDFM from this kind of graffiti. They were so young and enthusiastic at that time...

Vroom vroom!!

Fantastic! Great stuff, keep it coming please!

Thanks Renato^^

Not a lot of people who could be interested in rough settei for secondary items...

So interesting... I see Itano, Anno, and Itamori (Kawamori and Itano mixed name)... "Anno (Niichan) has said it is fool and idiot" ,"Make a phone call to me (about at midnight)", "I will sleep a little. Itano"... I can see the atmosphere of making SDFM from this kind of graffiti. They were so young and enthusiastic at that time...

A big thanks to antibiotictab!!

There is a long long time i would understand what's written^^

Well, "so young and enthusiastic" ...a kind of delirium...great!! I love that.

Thanks again.

It might be bad around here. But a friend of mine tried to win a big promotional/advertisement cel from Robotech: The Sentinels. It was on eBay a week or so ago. He didn't get it but it went for $1000+.

I have not been back here (not just this thread but to MW) in close to 3 years, which is when I left Hong Kong. There seem to have been quite a few new additions to Mokman's collection. Congrats!

I have traveled to Tokyo and Osaka a few times over the past 2 years or so but really were not able to find any Cel of interest. Hopefully, things could change with the 30th anniversary hype~

Wishing you all the best for 2013!

I have traveled to Tokyo and Osaka a few times over the past 2 years or so but really were not able to find any Cel of interest. Hopefully, things could change with the 30th anniversary hype~

Did you check all the major dealers? Perhaps any higher end dealers? A few high priced cels are on Yahoo Japan. I assume there should be a few in stores somewhere.

So, I've recently come across the knowledge that UV rays cause paint/printed material to fade over time... and that the flourecents that I use as celing lamps do emit some UV rays. This has got me worried for the cels that I have framed up (behind glass) on the walls. From professional, more veteran collectors, do you think the exposure to light will cause significant damage to them? Is there any other way to protect them other than keeping them filed away in a dark corner of my room, never to be seen again? Thanks in advance.

So, I've recently come across the knowledge that UV rays cause paint/printed material to fade over time... and that the flourecents that I use as celing lamps do emit some UV rays. This has got me worried for the cels that I have framed up (behind glass) on the walls. From professional, more veteran collectors, do you think the exposure to light will cause significant damage to them? Is there any other way to protect them other than keeping them filed away in a dark corner of my room, never to be seen again? Thanks in advance.

You want to frame them with UV plexiglass.

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of you long time pro cel collectors have any advice where to find a decently priced cel worth framing?

I don't really want to collect but want to frame one from the original series. (Trying to make a nice display) :)

I keep checking ebay and cel sites but not much around.

Is there somewhere good I don't know about?

Is going to AX my best bet or wait for ebay?

Any info would be appreciated! :)

• 2 months later...

UV will adversely affect the trace lines on your cel. Those will fade quicker than the paint colors. There is a wealth of cel preservation tips on rubberslug.com. The site goes down time to time, but check the faqs, pinned sections and search the forums. You will find the most helpful tips there. Also just to answer your question if you want to preserve your cel you have a variety of options depending on your environment and budget. Things to consider are you in a high humidity or dry environment? Do you have smokers ? Do you have moisture or lots of ambient lightling from windows? All of these factors can harm your cels if you choose to openly display them.

To display your cels openly you may want to invest the time to bag your cel in archival quality clear bags, as well as, archival acid-free double matting to prevent the cel from touching the uv resistent plexiglass. If you are on a budget research how to build amd assemble your own frame from cheap pete's stores. They have all of the main supplies you need matting, uv resistant plexi-glass and a variety of frames. strongly recommend researching on rubberslug first so you can determine how to measure and what to look for when matting the cel. this is especially important if you have an original production background that is also painted.

lastly, if you want a quick solution you can buy the itoya portfolio binders to store your cels using archival quality bags. if you need more ideas pm. cheers!

Edited by Fortress_Maximus

• 2 weeks later...