So called Macross Facts

Roy Focker

myth: the YF-1R/VF-1R exists in Macross-universe

source:  robotech

reality: NO!  It does not exist in Macross canon-universe or alternate-universe(MII). Whatever "lineart-inspiration" tomfoolery the MPC-toy/Battlecry-game was cobbled from was most likely an animation/art-mistake similar to the infamous nosecone-lasers.

Also, while there IS an animation error that shows a 3-gunned VF1, it was very clearly intended to be the classic cannon-fodder 1A, and some damn fool just drew 1J cannons on the sides of the head.

This episode ALSO features turkey legs the size of men, and a cigarette lighter gunpod... and cigarettes the size of men, for that matter.

Where in that desolate barren wasteland did they find enough tobacco to make zentran-size smokes to start with?

Myth: Kaifun is Minmay's brother.

Source: DYRL never explains he is her cousin, yet contains at least two instances of him being referred to as "brother" by Minmay.  <_<  The explanation is only ever given in SDF Macross, I believe.

318852[/snapback]

Kaifun is Minmay's cousin in the tv series, and recasted as her brother in DYRL. This is to simplify the love triangle for a 1-1/2 hour movie.

318868[/snapback]

actually, according to the Macross Compendium :

Fallacy: "Kaifun is Minmay's brother."

Explanation: Kaifun is Minmay's cousin (with no blood relations between them). Minmay says Kaifun is a "cousin who is like a brother" to her in his debut during the first series.

Source of fallacy: Assumption based on Minmay's name for Kaifun ("Kaifun-niichan"), an affectionate name for a brotherly figure.

319153[/snapback]

Actually, the Compendium is referring specifically to the TV-series relationship, i.e. Kaifun-nii-chan.

The DYRL-relationship is brother-sister, however, i.e. Minmay specifically referred to him as nii-san.

Therefore, nhyone is correct.

319174[/snapback]

As far as I know, nii-san and nii-chan are the same thing. Nii is the actually word meaning brother, and -san and -chan are both honorifics. Nii-chan/Onii-chan are more familiar, affectionate terms, while nii-san/onii-san are more respectful or formal.

However, refering to someone as "brother, (onii-san)" "sister (onee-san)," "grandpa (oji-san)," "grandma (oba-san)," etc doesn't necessarily indicate a familial relationship. People may refer to close friends as brother or sister, and (with a respectful honorific) is often used to address a stranger who's name is unknown to the speaker.

As far as I know, nii-san and nii-chan are the same thing.  Nii is the actually word meaning brother, and -san and -chan are both honorifics.  Nii-chan/Onii-chan are more familiar, affectionate terms, while nii-san/onii-san are more respectful or formal.

However, refering to someone as "brother, (onii-san)" "sister (onee-san)," "grandpa (oji-san)," "grandma (oba-san)," etc doesn't necessarily indicate a familial relationship.  People may refer to close friends as brother or sister, and (with a respectful honorific) is often used to address a stranger who's name is unknown to the speaker.

319189[/snapback]

That is true and is the result of that damn formal/informal indirection that japanese uses in their way of talking.

However, the way Minmay uses nii-san in DYRL was the more formal/respectful form, so therefore she would've directly mentioned itoko as well as a follow-thru to make it clear that Kaifun was indeed a cousin instead of older-brother which the nii-san usually connotes.

Oh, well. ;)

another one:

fact/myth: Myung Fang Lone of Macross Plus is korean

source:: various fan-assumptions from online-forums, including MW-forum, because her name sounded and looks spelled as korean.

reality: No. Myung's just from the Planet Eden. Her racial/nationality/bloodlines were not nor ever specifically mentioned in Plus. Per Compendium entry, she's half-chinese/half-white.

Edited by treatment

As far as I know, nii-san and nii-chan are the same thing.  Nii is the actually word meaning brother, and -san and -chan are both honorifics.  Nii-chan/Onii-chan are more familiar, affectionate terms, while nii-san/onii-san are more respectful or formal.

However, refering to someone as "brother, (onii-san)" "sister (onee-san)," "grandpa (oji-san)," "grandma (oba-san)," etc doesn't necessarily indicate a familial relationship.  People may refer to close friends as brother or sister, and (with a respectful honorific) is often used to address a stranger who's name is unknown to the speaker.

319189[/snapback]

That is true and is the result of that damn formal/informal indirection that japanese uses in their way of talking.

However, the way Minmay uses nii-san in DYRL was the more formal/respectful form, so therefore she would've directly mentioned itoko as well as a follow-thru to make it clear that Kaifun was indeed a cousin instead of older-brother which the nii-san usually connotes.

Oh, well. ;)

319193[/snapback]

As soon as I read Nhyone's reply to my post I went and checked the DYRL TIAS. Sure enough, in the character profiles section, Kaifun is clearly described as Minmay's brother. They DID change their relationship for the movie.

Now THAT, I never knew. :o

Edited by Renato

Here's another one that I always hear:

Myth: In the Japanese version of Macross, they show the two technicians actually seeing blood on the seat of Roy's cockpit.

Source: Fans of Robotech who swore they saw said scenes when watching the original versions or, in unedited versions of Robotech

Truth: We never, ever see blood on Roy's seat. The scene only shows the reactions of the technicians to what they saw inside of Roy's cockpit.

318605[/snapback]

You know, it's weird. I pretty much grew up believing that I had seen that non-existant footage somewhere, and I was gobsmacked when I saw the series after a very long time and there was nothing.

318625[/snapback]

You know, that's funny. I felt exactly the same when I reviewed the series too - I could have sworn that the seat was shown. At least I remembered it that way. I think that the creators' inference was so, and that they expressed it well.

<sigmund>

We had prior indication of Roy being in trouble was when he was actually struck during battle. So when the technician scene plays out, some of us may have had a predisposition to "see the blood". Also, the powers of hindsight and knowledge of the collapse/death scene later are probably contributors.

</sigmund>

:)

Really, though, the only way it works at all is if Max jumped someone about Britai's size. And Britai can rip a Valk apart bare-handed, so it's not too likely...

318773[/snapback]

Though to be fair, remember that Max caught him enroute to the privy :lol:

Might count for something.

You know, that's funny. I felt exactly the same when I reviewed the series too - I could have sworn that the seat was shown. At least I remembered it that way.  I think that the creators' inference was so, and that they expressed it well.

<sigmund>

We had prior indication of Roy being in trouble was when he was actually struck during battle.  So when the technician scene plays out, some of us may have had a predisposition to "see the blood". Also, the powers of hindsight and knowledge of the collapse/death scene later are probably contributors.

</sigmund>

:)

You forgot how the blood represents a penis, the plane is a woman, and Focker is your urge to hump your mother.

I figure we may as well get an ACCURATE Freud in here...

Really, though, the only way it works at all is if Max jumped someone about Britai's size. And Britai can rip a Valk apart bare-handed, so it's not too likely...

318773[/snapback]

Though to be fair, remember that Max caught him enroute to the privy :lol:

Might count for something.

319268[/snapback]

True...

"HOLY CRAP THERE'S A GIANT ROBOT IN THE RESTROOM! ... Great, now I've got crap in my pants... Oh, robot plane is still the-OOF!"

You forgot how the blood represents a penis, the plane is a woman, and Focker is your urge to hump your mother.

I figure we may as well get an ACCURATE Freud in here...

LMFAO :lol: Great accuracy is required. Tell me about your mother :blink:

OK, a real Macross myth for legitimazation:

Myth Zentrans feasted on man-sized turkey legs, and smoked man-size cigarettes in the later episodes. The waste disposal was a nightmare.

FactMicronization. Re-Zentraedification. Discuss.

Okay, I found a good one today! This is from a review I found on the internet. I won't tell you what it is, but you'll figure it out by the end and have a good laugh.

from robotech to this! it was always going to happen. watched robotech ( macross saga ) when i was 15 years old now 33. loved mimei and the songs didnt know she became such a great song writer and wonderful talant untill early this year. this is the first album i have purchased of mari's and it is so calming and soft to the ear, listen to it loud or low and it's great. if you want to hear mari in her first career as lin min mei in robotech go to www.robotech.com there you can get the history and purchas all the episode's of the whole saga and get to here miri as min mei. your choice. see ya.

Now that's funny!

I need some help with this one; please correct as needed.

Myth: Humans cannot be macronized

Source: Robotech fans speculation

Truth: In DYRL Max was macronized. Now if DYRL is a movie in the Macross universe is the macronization fact or fiction?

Corollary

Myth: Zolans are Zentraedi

Source: Several reveiws of Dynamite 7 state this probably due to the fact Graham is macronized and everyone knows only Zentredi can do this.

Truth: Zolans are a different race

Myth: The Gnerl fighter and the Glaug Officer's booster both had shields

Sorce: Robotech RPG. For the Gnerl it is probably due to a scene where upon entering the Earth's atmosphere a shockwave is seen.

Truth: Zentraedi mecha do not have shields

Edited by Shinebox

...watched robotech ( macross saga ) when i was 15 years old now 33. loved mimei and the songs didnt know she became such a great song writer and wonderful talant untill early this year. ...

:blink: Someone associated Mari Ijima with Reba West. Blasphemy.

I need some help with this one; please correct as needed.

Myth: Humans cannot be macronized

Truth: In DYRL Max was macronized. Now if DYRL is a movie in the Macross universe is the macronization fact or fiction?

Emilia was macronized in the Macross 7 movie. Does that count? Taking into account that another somewhat unrelated but protoculture influenced race (the Zolans) can be macronized, one can argue that all protoculture related races can be macro/micronized.

:blink:

Yeah but some of the designs from the movie spilled over into the macross 7 tv series. Like Exedol in M7 has tentacles instead of hands. His DYRL form must then have been his 'real' body and the tv series was his 'placeholder' form. (a short guy with a big head with a wig?)

Some of DYRL may be real thanks to macross 7. Hopefully they will just say in the future that like macross II, Macross 7 was an alternate universe.. :D Basara never fought strange monsters with music or sound energy and it was just a saturday morning cartoon for bored children. The real protodevlin are probably much scarier.

And in macross zero roy looks nothing like the roy in SDF:macross. (I think they are even 2 different sizes? Who is the real Roy?)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yeah but some of the designs from the movie spilled over into the macross 7 tv series. Like Exedol in M7 has tentacles instead of hands. His DYRL form must then have been his 'real' body and the tv series was his 'placeholder' form. (a short guy with a big head with a wig?)

Exedol's form was explained. When he macronized himself, he altered his structure with a greater emphasis on his mental capabilities.

Exedol's form was explained. When he macronized himself, he altered his structure with a greater emphasis on his mental capabilities.

320404[/snapback]

Wasn't he also worried about ther micronization/macronization process directly affecting his brain and memories, and IIRC even concerned about getting brain cancer form the process?

320404[/snapback]

Wasn't he also worried about ther micronization/macronization process directly affecting his brain and memories, and IIRC even concerned about getting brain cancer form the process?

320468[/snapback]

Not necessarily brain cancer. But he was worried about the process affecting his mental abilities.

So he actually has 3 forms in total?

2, technically. I don't count the macronization/micronization.

from robotech to this! it was always going to happen. watched robotech ( macross saga ) when i was 15 years old now 33. loved mimei and the songs didnt know she became such a great song writer and wonderful talant untill early this year. this is the first album i have purchased of mari's and it is so calming and soft to the ear, listen to it loud or low and it's great. if you want to hear mari in her first career as lin min mei in robotech go to www.robotech.com there you can get the history and purchas all the episode's of the whole saga and get to here miri as min mei. your choice. see ya.

MYTH: This guy's an idiot.

TRUTH: He's an really an evil agent of HG, trying to spread more robotech propaganda. And he's an idiot.

:lol:

You're probably right, Az...I just remember it sticking in my mind about the cancer bit...

BTW, I'd like to find out how Exedol thought he was going to preserve his mind by going from merely butt-fugly to amazingly @#$%ing butt-fugly... :p

And one more Macross Myth:

MYTH: Minmay was 30 in Flashback 2012.

SOURCE: Fan speculation, based on a number of test drawings made by the production staff, which did include Minmay at 30. (Myth cited originally in Egan Loo's "FAQs and Fallacies on Macross Compendium)

REALITY: Although originally Kawamori declined to put a specific date to the OAV, he later did admit that it was in 2012, making Minmay at the oldest 20.

Edited by Pat Payne

A couple MORE Macross Myths:

1. MYTH: Bruno Global is Russian.

SOURCE: Robotech, which I guess wanted to pull a "Mr. Chekov" on us.

REALITY: He's actually Italian.

2. MYTH: Japanese is the official language of the Macross Universe.

SOURCE: The fact that Japanese is spoken on screen by the main characters.

REALITY: It seems that given the available evidence (signage, the letter to Minmay offering her an audition, the dialogue of background characters in DYRL?) that the official language spoken by the characters in the universe itself is English, and that Japanese was spoken as a convinience to the Japanese-speaking audience.

3. MYTH: Bodolzaa cannot/will not leave his fortress ship.

SOURCE: The fact that he is almost always on board it, coupled with the big ol' head in a jar Bodolzaa from DYRL.

REALITY: Bodolzaa can leave his ship (for instance, he did board Britai's ship to interrogate Hikaru, Misa and Hayao, refusing to let them on his own ship).

REALITY: It seems that given the available evidence (signage, the letter to Minmay offering her an audition, the dialogue of background characters in DYRL?) that the official language spoken by the characters in the universe itself is English, and that Japanese was spoken as a convinience to the Japanese-speaking audience.

320501[/snapback]

Misa also writes out the lyrics to DYRL in english... so I think we're to assume that it was really sang in english by Minmay.

320501[/snapback]

Misa also writes out the lyrics to DYRL in english... so I think we're to assume that it was really sang in english by Minmay.

320545[/snapback]

Do not forget in the DYRL, you hear the Radio chatter in English with all the air controllers and from the VE-1.

I think most airlines and traffic controllers speak English.

English is clearly the offical language for passing orders around over the radio and on paper. To me Japanese looked like the unoffical local language.

Fact: Dana Sterling was the first baby born in space!

Source: Stupid me and my friends back in the day. The ship was in space for months. How stupid of me not to think there weren't any other pregant passengers or no one else did the nasty.

Fact:  Dana Sterling was the first baby born in space!

Source:  Stupid me and my friends back in the day.  The ship was in space for months.  How stupid of me not to think there weren't any other pregant passengers or no one else did the nasty.

320743[/snapback]

Not to mention that Dana was born on earth. . . ;)

Source:  Stupid me and my friends back in the day.  The ship was in space for months.  How stupid of me not to think there weren't any other pregant passengers or no one else did the nasty.

320743[/snapback]

320748[/snapback]

And in a diffrent universe that we dare not speak the name of.

And in macross zero roy looks nothing like the roy in SDF:macross. (I think they are even 2 different sizes? Who is the real Roy?)

320327[/snapback]

Roy was so distraught after Aries' death, he decided to do the manly thing and grow a mullet. Someone forgot to tell him that they go on the back of your head.

Mullet on forehead = fringe. May not be practical but didn't you see how many women he attracted in the tv series when claudia was telling misa about how she first met him?

Roy may have been distraught but he wasn't going to let her death keep him down forever. To me it looked like he was ready to move on. Not a single mention of aries or picture of her is seen in the tv series. Maybe they wiped his memory of the event to keep the government secret of the AFOS safe from leaking?

I sometimes think that roy was murdered/assasinated rather than dying from loss of blood from the dogfight against the qraus. The real roy from macross zero went missing, they then got a person who looked a bit like roy, programmed him with memories and false identity of the real roy, and then faked the death of this fake roy to make it look like he was injured in a fight when in fact he was shot in the back several times so they wouldn't have to keep covering up the story about how the real one disapeared suddenly when people who would have been close to him may have noticed his change in personality and hair.

You'll note in the movie that Roy's actor looks just like the real one. They may have a very good experts in disguises to make the masks very similar. The one we were seeing in the tv series was the fake that was killed once it was known that he was going to tell claudia about the cruel UNG experiments on the islanders after the mysterious disapearance of the AFOS. UNG wanted to study the theories about the aliens once visiting earth in ancient time and then harness thier powers for themselves in case the anti-un got ahold of them. (pay attention to the episode in SDF:Macross where it is revealed that aliens are almost the same as us and note how NOT shocked global is. He may have been in on it all along and just pretending to have heard the news for the first time.)

The fringe on fake roy's face was put there to help further hide his features from those who were really close to the real roy and would have possibly been able to tell the difference.

You'll note another strange clue in macross Zero: When it shows Aries bleeding, we are left to guess WHY she is bleeding and dying in the first place and have no footage of her being injured before this! Don't you find that strange?

Could she have been poisoned by UNG agents in case she would defect like her teacher to the Anti-UN? There is a lot we are not seeing - how did she suddely fall ill and start bleeding?

It is possible both Roy and Aries were against the UNG decision to keep all this a secret from public knowledge and they may have had to have arranged Aries' death at a specific time because of the danger of her helping the anti-un.

Roy (the real one with short hair) was probably allowed to stay alive (they have him in hiding) to help test the secret fighters the UN has in secret underground bases because they couldn't find anyone better than him and there was a shortage of good pilots during and after the anti-un war.

no I'm not being serious :p

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

How about people believing that Macross 7 did badly in Japan. I think this is just wishfull thinking on the part of Macross 7 haters. If i remember correctly didnt Macross 7 get an award for Nekki Basara being the best new character? On top of that there were model and toy lines, art books, two manga titles, several albums, plus a movie and ova. Not bad for a TV series that "bombed" right?

How about people believing that Macross 7 did badly in Japan. I think this is just wishfull thinking on the part of Macross 7 haters. If i remember correctly didnt Macross 7 get an award for Nekki Basara being the best new character? On top of that there were model and toy lines, art books, two manga titles, several albums, plus a movie and ova. Not bad for a TV series that "bombed" right?

Most the arguments I've seen in regards to Mac7 being bad have nothing to do with how it was received in Japan. I think the more common myth is the one that since it was well received in Japan it must be somewhat good...

Not trying to bash... but I think that one definitely works both ways.

320501[/snapback]

320545[/snapback]

Do not forget in the DYRL, you hear the Radio chatter in English with all the air controllers and from the VE-1.

320569[/snapback]

Aw man do I ever need to get the Japanese version of DYRL. :(

Mullet on forehead = fringe. May not be practical but didn't you see how many women he attracted in the tv series when claudia was telling misa about how she first met him?

Roy may have been distraught but he wasn't going to let her death keep him down forever. To me it looked like he was ready to move on. Not a single mention of aries or picture of her is seen in the tv series.  Maybe they wiped his memory of the event to keep the government secret of the AFOS safe from leaking?

I sometimes think that roy was murdered/assasinated rather than dying from loss of blood from the dogfight against the qraus. The real roy from macross zero went missing, they then got a person who looked a bit like roy, programmed him with memories and false identity of the real roy, and then faked the death of this fake roy to make it look like he was injured in a fight when in fact he was shot in the back several times so they wouldn't have to keep covering up the story about how the real one disapeared suddenly when people who would have been close to him may have noticed his change in personality and hair.

You'll note in the movie that Roy's actor looks just like the real one. They may have a very good experts in disguises to make the masks very similar. The one we were seeing in the tv series was the fake that was killed once it was known that he was going to tell claudia about the cruel UNG experiments on the islanders after the mysterious disapearance of the AFOS. UNG wanted to study the theories about the aliens once visiting earth in ancient time and then harness thier powers for themselves in case the anti-un got ahold of them. (pay attention to the episode in SDF:Macross where it is revealed that aliens are almost the same as us and note how NOT shocked global is. He may have been in on it all along and just pretending to have heard the news for the first time.)

The fringe on fake roy's face was put there to help further hide his features from those who were really close to the real roy and would have possibly been able to tell the difference.

You'll note another strange clue in macross Zero: When it shows Aries bleeding, we are left to guess WHY she is bleeding and dying in the first place and have no footage of her being injured before this! Don't you find that strange?

Could she have been poisoned by UNG agents in case she would defect like her teacher to the Anti-UN? There is a lot we are not seeing - how did she suddely fall ill and start bleeding?

It is possible both Roy and Aries were against the UNG decision to keep all this a secret from public knowledge and they may have had to have arranged Aries' death at a specific time because of the danger of her helping the anti-un.

Roy (the real one with short hair) was probably allowed to stay alive (they have him in hiding) to help test the secret fighters the UN has in secret underground bases because they couldn't find anyone better than him and there was a shortage of good pilots during and after the anti-un war.

no I'm not being serious  :p

321585[/snapback]

Good I was beginning to think you are some kind of conspiracy nut. :D:lol:

Source:  Stupid me and my friends back in the day.   The ship was in space for months.  How stupid of me not to think there weren't any other pregant passengers or no one else did the nasty.

320743[/snapback]

320748[/snapback]

Don't you mean Komillia. <_<

320327[/snapback]

Roy was so distraught after Aries' death, he decided to do the manly thing and grow a mullet. Someone forgot to tell him that they go on the back of your head.

321396[/snapback]

Not mention his excessive drinking after her death prior to meeting claudia.

"He once bragged about shooting down ten fighters while flying with a raging hangover" Claudia LaSalle ep. 1 Boobytrap :)

Edited by VF-18S Hornet