So called Macross Facts

Roy Focker

I did a like topic on a different message board and it was a lot of fun. There are many beliefs about Macross (and heck even Robotech) by it's fans that just aren't true or near truths. One fan says something and others repeat it, then a large number of fans later down the line assume it is true. Call them Macross urban legends. Share ones you know about and let's try discover their possible origin.

Hear's a couple to start off with,

Fact: Robotech's The Sentinels Minmei is whore that likes it in the ass.

Source: A joke by Agent one. I wonder if this one will spread into a fact.

Fact: Roy knew he was going to die when he visited Claudia.

Source: Wishfull thinking. This is something that a lot of fans want to believe but it's something that we honestly don't know.

Fact: Silvie Gena is Mirya's daughter.

Source: In Macross II Silvie mentions that she's a quarter meltran. Since she's blonde that means she must be Dana's daughter. Bad logic I know but I wanted to believe it for about ten minutes myself.

How about this:  Basara is Shin and Sara's (from Mac-0) son.  It kind of fits if you think about it.

318036[/snapback]

Yeah that's the tioket. Of course it's something that we don't know but we started to pass it around ourselves with in a couple of years new fans will come along and start talking about it as a fact.

Here's another one:

Fact: VF-1 has nose lasers.

Source: Badly drawn crap Anime friend and the Robotech RPG.

What about this: I always used to hear that Milia/Miriya killed Roy, but I still don't see how this is true.

318113[/snapback]

Source: Fans who don't remember the show that much. Roy was actually shot by squad of Q-Raus.

How about this: Basara is Shin and Sara's (from Mac-0) son. It kind of fits if you think about it.

Source: Wishful thinking. Almost as bad as Basara is the love child of Hikaru and Minmay. This is based on the fact that Basara's parents were never mentioned.

What about this: I always used to hear that Milia/Miriya killed Roy, but I still don't see how this is true.

318113[/snapback]

Source: Fans who don't remember the show that much. Roy was actually shot by squad of Q-Raus.

And ONE of those QRaus was Millia.

From there Milia had to have fired the fatal shot, because only the best zentradi pilot could hit the most-experienced human pilot.

It's silly, of course. Even in TV people don't have an aura that repels bullets shot by someone of lesser skill.

Fact: Full mecha complement listed on the side of Animeigos 3 disc cover box

Source: Given the dimensions of the ship, also taking into account the space aboard the Daedeulus and Prometheus plus Macross City, its not physically possible to stuff all that stuff into the SDF Macross. Not to mention the vast quantities of support crew, machinery and ordinance. I don't see how its possible.

That's because you never considered that there is bulit-in microning technology built into the entrance/exit points. :lol:

I thought someone would have mentioned

myth: Macross and Robotech are the same!

source: Robotech fans? Wishful thinking  :blink:

318194[/snapback]

On a related note, I've heard people espousing that

Myth: Robotech was ported back into the Macross timeline.

Source: LSD?

318113[/snapback]

And ONE of those QRaus was Millia.

From there Milia had to have fired the fatal shot, because only the best zentradi pilot could hit the most-experienced human pilot.

It's silly, of course. Even in TV people don't have an aura that repels bullets shot by someone of lesser skill.

318124[/snapback]

Millia engaged Max and stuck with him. She never broke off. So she never hit Roy. Watch it. :)

Myth: Guld definitely raped Myung.

Source: Conjecture. Reasonable people can disagree, though the narrative on the screen shows Guld coming to his senses and stopping himself. This was discussed in detail (from both sides) a long time ago. Thread here.

Myth: In episode 10, Blind Game, an animation error shows Max with missles attached to his tailfins.

Fact: The missles were intentionally added in by animator Ichiro Itano when he realized that Max's standard armaments would not provide enough firepower to destroy the Zentraedi ship.

Myth: In episode 10, Blind Game, an animation error shows Max with missles attached to his tailfins.

Fact: The missles were intentionally added in by animator Ichiro Itano when he realized that Max's standard armaments would not provide enough firepower to destroy the Zentraedi ship.

318258[/snapback]

I thought they were added in because the animators had made Max shoot a giant laser beam and there wasn't time to totally redraw the scene.

318113[/snapback]

Source: RDF Manual (Robotech RPG Book 2). Quote, "Roy's life was ended in a fierce battle with Miriyam the famed Zentraedi ace." That was major flaw.

Robotech-related myths here...

1. Myth: The Zentradi were chasing the Macross because of something intrinsically and identifiably special with the ship.

Source: Robotech, where the SDF-1 was originally the laboratory of a alien scientist.

Reality: The Zents were chasing the Macross for two reasons: first to eradicate the Supervision Army, although the mission was later changed to "capture" when they found the Macross' seemingly mysterious ability to repair (something Zents couldn;t do with their equipment)

2. Myth: The Macross is properly named SDF-1

Source: Robotech, natch

Reality: SDF-1 is the Macross' hull number, not her name. It would be like calling the USS Enterprise the NCC-1701.

3. Myth: Hikaru, Roy, Max, et. al use "thinking caps" and near-telepathy to fly the Valkyries, only using the HOTAS controls for gross movement.

Source: The RT novels.

Reality: ALL flight controls are through the HOTAS and supplimental controls in the cockpit -- there is no telepathic/mental link between the pilot and his craft, at least until Macross Plus :p

4. Myth: Minmay can't sing.

Source: Robotech, again.

Reality: Minmei (as voiced by Reba Weat) can't sing to save her soul. Minmay (as voiced by Mari Ijima) can sing quite well, thank you.

5. Myth: The Global Civil War was brought to an end by the arrival of the mysterious alien space ship.

Source: RT and RT novels.

Reality: The Civil War (Unification War) started BECAUSE of the Macross' crash landing and subsequent push to form an UN government.

6. Myth: Hikaru is/was a pacifist.

Source: Possible misreading of the dialogue in Macross ep. 1, compounded by Rick Hunter's statements early on in RT and RT novels.

Reality: While it's possible that Hikaru was a pacifist, it seems more likely from interpretations of the exchange between him and Roy (Roy "I shot down 105 fighters!" Hikaru "Murderer!") that Hikaru may just be needling Roy over breaking his promise to rejoin the air circus. At no point does Hikaru flat out say, like Kaifun, that he hates the military, just that he wishes that Roy hadn't stayed so long in it.

G7. Myth: Bruno Global's rank is Captain.

Source: The constant references to him as "Captain Global"

Reality: Global is actually a Brigadier General, IIRC. The term "Kanchou" literally means "One who is in charge of a warship," and is given to a person of any rank who is the commander of a warship. Much like in the US Navy, where it's not uncommon to see LCDRs and CDRs called "captain" so-and-so while in command of a warship. The actual rank title in Japanese for the rank of Naval Captain is "Itto-Kaisa"(JNSDF) or "Tai-sa."(IJN, USN, Generic Military)

This I guess I can explain.

Many have incorrectly assumed the VF-1D is only a trainer, although we do see it in combat later.

318227[/snapback]

Source: The designation on the VF Hikaru flew was VT-102. Fans associated VT with trainer. Additionally, the fighter was a 2-seater with Roy sitting in the back.

Truth: The only notes on the VF-1D is that it is a 2-seat version. Nothing is denying that it can be used as a trainer, but a VT-1 exists to serve that purpose.

Fallacy: SDF-2 was built near the damaged SDF-1.

Source: Robotech; The command center run by Lisa was referred to as SDF-2. Which was hit in episode 36.

Truth: SDF-2 Megalord was being constructed on the moon (pre-Megaroad). The command center that Misa was in charge of was the command center for the new UN Spacy.

318258[/snapback]

I thought they were added in because the animators had made Max shoot a giant laser beam and there wasn't time to totally redraw the scene.

318294[/snapback]

The LoneWolf is right. Specifically, a previous episode had shown that it took all the firepower of Hikaru's armoured Valk to destroy the same type of enemy ship that in the first draft of the episode in question Max blew up with his regular missiles. So Itano went back and re-drew the entire scene. The lineart for the tailfin missiles can be found in this book:

animage_0383collf.jpg

..... I think that's the one, anyway. :ph34r:

1. Myth: The Zentradi were chasing the Macross because of something intrinsically and identifiably special with the ship.

Source: Robotech, where the SDF-1 was originally the laboratory of a alien scientist.

Reality: The Zents were chasing the Macross for two reasons: first to eradicate the Supervision Army, although the mission was later changed to "capture" when they found the Macross' seemingly mysterious ability to repair (something Zents couldn;t do with their equipment)

novels.

Actually they initially started the chase/capture because reaction weapons were used against them, and they had lost the ability to make reaction weapons some time in the past. I believe they are referred to at first simply as "the lost weapons technology." I will have to rewatch the early episodes to be sure.

MYTH: Misa/Lisa was the XO of the Macross/SDF-1.

FACT: Misa was only Tactical coordinator of the Macross' air group, and in fact she was outranked by Claudia at the begining of the series. Given the fact that he assumed command when Global went to Alaska with Misa it's more likely that Colonel Maistrof is the Macross' First Officer.

SOURCE: Robotech would be easy to blame but it's never implied there any more than it is in the original Macross. Honestly I think it might be Star Trek's fault for giving people the impression that the XO of a ship is at the captain's side on the bridge at all times (or that all senior officers are stationed on the bridge at the same time), that and the fact that Misa got promoted to captain of the Megaroad at the end of the series.

novels.

Actually they initially started the chase/capture because reaction weapons were used against them, and they had lost the ability to make reaction weapons some time in the past. I believe they are referred to at first simply as "the lost weapons technology." I will have to rewatch the early episodes to be sure.

318427[/snapback]

Actually, you might be right about that, Knight26...it had stuck in my mind though that the Zents were intreigued while the Macross was still on the ground by the fact that it had been repaired. I'll have to rewatch ep.1, but it seems thatthe thing that first intrests them is looking at pictures of the downed Supervision Army craft, noticing that it's back in working order (if no longer in a recognizable configuration) and having it fire on them. when they had believed that they had already nearly destroyed the ship.

Edited by Pat Payne

how about this one.

Myth: Protoculture is the energy source derived from the flowers of life by Zor Prime.

Source: Robotech; in Robotech Protoculture is an energy source.

Fact: In Macross universe Protoculture are an ancient races that existed before mankind and the one that created the Zentradi and Protodevlin that was the source of the doom.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

Fact: The name is Roy Fokker!

Source: Robotech is one source for this. We can excuse Robotech for not using "Focker" because it sounds to close to "farter". Some fans have made other claims on this spelling being the right one. The "Focker" spelling is the correct one thats appeared in offical written material outside and even in the animation.