YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

My hat is off to you guy's - as someone who races nitro's - fly's heli's and planes, this project blew me away. Not just as an rc buff, but as a long time macross fan, to see the SV-51 take shape and then fly on the breeze is awesome.

Congratulations on all your hard work. :)

However, from what I understand the RC SV-51 footage was cut from the broadcast in some areas due to time constraints. I was told the RC-51 footage aired in Osaka, but not in Tokyo.

Graham

Aw, that sucks. They should have cut the ten minutes of those useless celebrity presenter guys going "Yeah, I remember Macross... Der-der-der-DAH-DAH, Der-der-der DAAAH" etc. Good thing I watched the Kansai version.

Nice work, Graham and IAD. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes, non-transforming GERWALK would be reasonable... The weight of the fans, vector servos, etc. would probably be significant enough to actually keep most of the weight relatively low, and gyros/thermal sensors could be used to take care of the stability augmentation...

Still, fixed pose would lack the overall 'living creature' feel that you get, watching the M0/MF aircraft in GERWALK. (You know, all the small twitch motions of the legs, etc.)

~Luke

Yes, non-transforming GERWALK would be reasonable... The weight of the fans, vector servos, etc. would probably be significant enough to actually keep most of the weight relatively low, and gyros/thermal sensors could be used to take care of the stability augmentation...

Still, fixed pose would lack the overall 'living creature' feel that you get, watching the M0/MF aircraft in GERWALK. (You know, all the small twitch motions of the legs, etc.)

~Luke

More reasons I like the VF-1... Nothing is expected of its legs :) I'm gonna make one and it will have GERWALK! And, if I really work hard, Battroid as well... But only as a display piece. IE: It won't be able to fly as a Battroid.

• 1 month later...

Continuing my slow rework of the CAD model...

I've decided to go with Yamato-style boosters, instead of the somewhat-flattened Hasegawa ones.

This model is just for developing the CNC toolpaths, so the level of detail will be pretty low; it's the basic shapes that I'm after. Surface details (sensors, bumps, panels, etc.) will be added by hand, using bits of balsa/foam.

~Luke

post-3133-1236035289_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1236035388_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

Motors in the boosters... That depends on what sort of power system I go with, but they do provide the perfect location to "hide" a pair of pusher props. (Yep, Schizophrenic, props. :)) As I said before, I always liked the thrust, but never could find a good spot for them. I've come up with a set that will give me about 4 lb. of thrust, and 80 MPH top speed, with pitch/roll/yaw thrust-vector... Should do. I'll probably build a 'plain' version, to put the ducted fans in, as well... After all, I did a lot of design work to get the ducting right.

VF-25: Wouldn't an RC VF-27 be more appropriate? (I could even put a video downlink, so I could fly by virtual cockpit... :p) Really, though, I didn't much like the M-F designs... Just a personal preference... I was sort of figuring I'd do a VF-0 (S or D), once I got the SV out of my system.

~Luke

Almost finished... I think it captures the look. Still needs some cockpit detail, and the ducting needs reworking...

Wings-wise, I put a MH-32 airfoil on it... Should be more efficient than a flat plate, especially at higher speeds. Not so important for the prop version, but the fans like a clean airframe.

~Luke

post-3133-1236449720_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1236449725_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1236449729_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1236449733_thumb.jpg

Muhahaha! There can be only... Errr... Never mind. :p

Checked the landing gear geometry last night... It will need either 90 deg. rotation types, or a custom Flanker-style angled axis design. The fuselage isn't deep enough to allow the gear to retract straight in. To keep the servo count low(er), I'm thinking that electrically-driven retracts might be a good plan.

This one could take a lot of rigging, though... Right now, it looks like it'll need about 8-9 servos, for a 'nicely equipped' ducted fan setup:

Thrust-vector (2 + Differential throttle)

Flaperons (2)

Rudders/ruddervators (1-2)

Canards (2)

Fin retracts/gear doors (0-1, depending on mechanics)

Retracts (0-1, using electric units; depends on switching technique)

While the two-servo setup used on the smaller SV could theoretically work, the pushrods would be VERY long, introducing the potential for a lot of slop. Maybe something in between would be the best compromise between precision and cost.

~Luke

• 2 months later...

Another semester almost finished; I'm starting to think about summer projects. (Already started writing the SV CNC toolpath! Probably should be studying instead.......)

I've decided to do what the toy guys do... Stick with one scale. Mine will be 1:16. :p

~Luke

post-3133-1242449780_thumb.jpg

Another semester almost finished; I'm starting to think about summer projects. (Already started writing the SV CNC toolpath! Probably should be studying instead.......)

I've decided to do what the toy guys do... Stick with one scale. Mine will be 1:16. :p

~Luke

I love super-scale...

I love super-scale...

Oh yeah!!

The more I see of this thread the more I want to get into fan duct RC. Having not flown in years this could prove exppensive though :(

I may need lots of glue and duct tape :)

The CAD model I'm working on is designed to fly... It has appropriate intake/exhaust areas, provision for retracts, etc... So, yes, I am planning on making a -22, after the larger SV. (But, if the CNC mill handles the SV well, I may end up building them at the same time. Big IF, though.)

They'd both be around 1:16, the VF-22 would be a couple inches longer than true scale, to allow me to fit everything in it.

~Luke

• 7 months later...

Well, months later... Guess what, I'm not building either...

I'm going to break ground (cut foam, what have you) tomorrow on a 63" long FRX-99 RAFE (Yukikaze, obviously.) It's a prop-jet, nothing fancy there, but it is going to use a different construction technique than I used on the SVs, which should produce lighter airframes that are still reasonably strong. (This was a major reason the big SV never moved forwards, I wasn't satisfied with the projected thrust/weight ratios with the ducted fans.) The framework will be assembled and covered with 0.2" thick sheet foam. This should also minimize the amount of carving I have to do, too, which is a bonus. I'm thinking it could also be a little quicker, which is always a good thing. Obviously, should it work out, SVs/VFs are in the lineup, since I have the surface models I need to get the cross-sections.

~Luke

post-3133-1261545062_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1261545072_thumb.jpg

Heheh... Sorta. The real issue is the lack of vertical stabilizers... There's plenty of wing, but the nacelles are about it for vertical surface area. (There are some small fins at the back, alongside the nacelles, which I'm going to make the most of.) I'm planning on using a gyro and differential throttle to help tame it a bit.

Having said that, I've been flying a chuck-glider version, and it seems to be OK.

~Luke