YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

That is WONDERFUL luke. Now you have to go back and make all these mods to yours dont you. Just watched the vid and WOW. It is noticeably faster than yours. Love the stunts too. im not going to try that my first time out with it. This is customer satisfaction right here.

Edited by HWR MKII

Glad you like it! There's so many improvements on your ship, I think I'd do better just to build myself another, rather than try retrofits. However, I've got my eye on some other (Macross) aircraft right now, so once I get this shipped to you, we'll see what I end up doing. :D

~Luke

I'd say that thinned Tamiya would be fine. You've got about 0.3 oz to play with, and still come in at the same flying weight as you see in the video. (The comb I used to balance it is about that weight, and obviously, I'll be removing that and nudging the battery forward instead.) After that, you probably have another 0.5 oz., or so, before I'd start really getting worried. (Having said that, I of course strongly recommend keeping things as light as possible.)

As a side-note, I was really impressed with the duration, 9-10 minutes is a pretty long time for any ducted fan ship, much less a fighter-type design.

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Well, I have a few ideas...

Here's one.

(Big ship, 57" long, better than 1:1 thrust/weight ratio, retracting gear, folding wings.)

~Luke

Bad luke BAD. No cookie. Want another comission when this one is done! :D

JK but i do have good news. The base im at has its own flying area. Used to be an old runway. A co worker is going to help give me some flight instruction so i can get more time under my belt before it gets here.

Very good. You got the ArtTech Su-27, right? (Twin ducted fan RTF?)

If so, I'm pretty sure that this now has a better thrust/weight ratio than the -27 does with the stock motors, so transitioning from one to the other should be pretty easy.

~Luke

If you think the -21 is crazy...

This is another idea that's been running in the back of my head for the past few months...

60" long, variable geometry wings (actuated by micro-jackscrews), retracting gear, variable 'diameter' thrust-vector system, retracts, custom flight computer (for improved high alpha flight), and over 1:1 thrust/weight, even without the option of functional boosters (extra 10 oz. of thrust per). All for 32 oz., AUW.

Not as far-fetched as it sounds, actually. I've already bought a set of motors, and I've crunched numbers for the fans, batteries, and wing jackscrew system. We'll see. I have sort of done the -51 to death, though. B)) Anyway, right now, I'm working on my 3D digitizer, so I can non-destructively pull cross-sections from plastic models, with accuracy down to 0.001" or so.

~Luke

post-3133-1183689537_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

Oh, man... It´s just incredible... I almost cried when I saw the video!!! :o

I never Imagine something like that (well, I don't know NOTHING about RC, so I don't know what you can do in RC) :p

Sincerely Congratulations!!!

"...Your insane you know that right..."

Yep, people over on RC-Groups have told me that repeatedly. :p

Well, the turbines are being saved for the 1/6 scale version. (Joking. Well, not joking, if I could afford them!) I should learn composite fabrication, though.

Cool8or, thanks for the complements! This is "medium-high-tech" for RC, I'd say, but if I have my way, "you ain't seen nutt'n yet!"

~Luke

Edited by IAD

• 6 months later...

Hey, this thread hasn't been updated in a while... Perhaps this was mentioned in another thread, but IAD's radio controlled SV-51 was on TV in Japan, and Kawamori personally said he was really happy to see that someone actually made this. I myself was really surprised to see it. Congratulations!

Who are you talking about?

Perhaps this was mentioned in another thread, but IAD's radio controlled SV-51 was on TV in Japan, and Kawamori personally said he was really happy to see that someone actually made this. I myself was really surprised to see it. Congratulations!

Him, The SK, The creator , Kawamori san whatever you want to call him.

I bet he's well stoked to see that one of his designs actually can fly.

Edited by big F

Hey, not so fast.... An overpowered RC prop job with three times more thrust than weight, definitely, that's easy...

A 40mm ducted fan anything is pretty tricky. Not a lot of thrust there. So, no... Given the limited power output of the small fans, good aerodynamics are required. The SV, though not the greatest, is still a pretty reasonable airframe, overall.

~Luke

Did they show any still frames of a nora finished one?

If they showed a pink foam one doing back flips that is the second airframe. Mine hehe. Im really glad SK likes all the work that luke put into these. I have to say that the effort paid off well in the performance of the aircraft. It works as advertised.

If anybody does find a torrent or something of the footage, I'd love to see it. :D

If anybody saw it personally: Which ship did they show, Mk1, in grey, or Mk2, in pink?

~Luke

Hey there

You mean you were on national TV and they didn't even bother telling you about it?? That pisses me off, cause I make amateur documentaries and I keep getting told that I need a licence to shoot this, an approval from so-and-so to film that, blah blah. Damn bureaucracy. Anyway, yeah, they showed the video of the black one, the one you uploaded early last year. haven't seen MkII...

A friend of mine recorded the program onto a DVD... I'll see what I can do. B))

No, no, I knew... Graham actually gave me a phone call (uber-long-distance) to get permission to use the footage.

However, I didn't know what footage they actually used, and would love to see the actual broadcast.

~Luke

By the way, if you search YouTube for RC SV-51, you'll find all the videos I've posted.

(

<-- Mk2) Edited by IAD

The story is like this. Early last year IIRC, I told Yamato about Luke’s SV-51 and sent them some pics and links to the videos as they are always interested to see cool new Macross stuff.

Yamato showed the pics and videos to Kawamori-san. He liked what he saw and asked for some better quality videos. I got in touch with Luke, and told him the situation and asked if he could supply some higher resolution video footage. Luke was gracious enough to help out and the video was soon on the way to Yamato, who passed it on to Kawamori-san.

Fast forward to late November or early December last year and Yamato rang me up and asked if I could get permission from Luke to show his RC SV-51 video footage on the 25th anniversary show. Luke agreed and the rest is history.

However, from what I understand the RC SV-51 footage was cut from the broadcast in some areas due to time constraints. I was told the RC-51 footage aired in Osaka, but not in Tokyo.

Graham