YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

Over at R/C Groups there's a few efforts being made to build flyable models of the YF-19 and SV-51. Let's go up and have a look, the meat of the subject starts here and continues forward for several pages.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread....3&page=40&pp=15

Oddly the protos are being built by someone who doesn't seem especially convinced that the birds will fly.

LOLOLOL... Wow.. my model got around I see. :D  Dang.. I want one now.

Hmm... Wonder if the original source model would help them.

316074[/snapback]

Hey Chrono... I'm the one that made the model available for the guys at RCGroups... you gave it to me a long time ago because I told I was going to see if I could get anyone to make a flying version... I've successfully gotten a freeflight hand-tossed glider to fly very well... but the guys there at the forum are way more skilled than I am at powered, controlled flight...

there are several software programs they are using (Rhino, 3DS, etc) in conjunction with CNC cutters and plain ole' ingenuity... maybe you COULD help out...

Edited by akura2

I'm glad they tried to make the YF-19 and SV-51 into models, its something different than the VF-1 always.  I zoned out a couple pages in, did it say they got the SV to fly?

316088[/snapback]

yes they did get the SV to fly.... now it's a matter of adding the "looks"

Hullo... By way of introduction, I'm one of the fellows working on the Macross ships on RC Groups. I design my own aircraft, many of which have strange design features (swept-forward wings, canards, tipsails, flying wings, multiple motors, differential thrust/thrust-vector, etc.) and nearly all have proven to be at capable of reasonable controlled flight.

I've already flown a prototype SV-51, and now I'm working on a CAD design for a twin ducted-fan version, with working thrust-vector vanes. (See attached.) The SV-51 is quite similar to an F/A-18 Hornet, or Su-27, aerodynamics-wise. It's also 'cleaner' than other anime/Macross aircraft I've seen. The ducted fans do add some complexity and risk, but... Oh well.

The YF-19 could be a bit more difficult... I'm having a fuselage carved out of solid foam by a guy with a CNC machine, and plan built-up (and sheeted) balsawood wings. Stability is almost certainly not going to be an issue, what with the large cluster of fins towards the back. Also, the 20" YF-19 testbed has already proven that it has positive stablilty in yaw, and what appeared to be neutral stability in pitch. The biggest problem is getting the center of gravity where it needs to be. The weight distribution of the design is pretty bad, a lot of the airframe's mass is concentrated aft...

~Luke

post-3133-1123130102_thumb.jpg

:o @ IAD Respect man.....

I've build a P51D 'Stang wich was true to scale and it flew beautifully. Except on landing I needed a lot of speed to keep it controllable. I have no experience with ducted fans, but gives the augmented speed (vs a 'conventional' engine) extra stability ? What about the possible reaction of the bird when 1 fan decides to quit on you (if they work indipendeble from each other :unsure: ).

Anyhow, I'll be keeping an eye on the progress on RC groups, good luck and I hope things work out perfect.

G

Well, I'm an all-electric guy, so I don't really worry about one motor quitting... I'll be using brushless motors, which don't burn out, unless pushed beyond design limits. (I may however equip the SV-51 with differential thrust, to allow the motors to be throttled independently. Gives very good yaw control.)

From what I've seen of the Macross designs, most of them have so many vertical stabilizers, there isn't much of an issue with yaw stability.

I'm not entirely sure that the ducted fans will actually give a higher top speed than a prop would, in this application. However, on the SV-51, there's a near total lack of 'good' spots to hide a propeller, so.... ;)

~Luke

:o @ IAD Respect man.....

I've build a P51D 'Stang wich was true to scale and it flew beautifully. Except on landing I needed a lot of speed to keep it controllable. I have no experience with ducted fans, but gives the augmented speed (vs a 'conventional' engine) extra stability ? What about the possible reaction of the bird when 1 fan decides to quit on you (if they work indipendeble from each other :unsure: ).

Anyhow, I'll be keeping an eye on the progress on RC groups, good luck and I hope things work out perfect.

G

317405[/snapback]

Sorry... Couldn't help myself... Call me a traditionalist. ;)

Then again, just because a pilot is able to outfight everything else in the sky, even though she is flying a bright pink aircraft, this still doesn't mean that combat aircraft should be bright pink... :rolleyes:

By the way, I've started a new thread, specifically devoted to the SV-51 Gamma build on RC-Groups:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403195

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Very quickly, can somebody fill me in on what those semi-transparent red things are, just forwards of the canopy, and on the very front of the LEX?

Are they the sensor array for a MiG-29 style IR/laser target acquisition system?

By the way, the 51 now has wings. :D

~Luke

Thanks! Just wondering.

Some more pictures posted on the RCG thread... I'll throw one in here though... Got the top of the nacelles done. So far, the whole thing only weighs 3.75 oz..!

(The maximum acceptable weight for the empty airframe is 6 oz.)

~Luke

post-3133-1123899839_thumb.jpg

Well, let's see... I've got to finish the control system, (letting the paint dry on the vector vanes as we speak) install the ductwork, and finish the bottom of the nacelles, and the lower vertical stabilizers. All of this should be done late tonight, maybe tomorrow, if I get side-tracked.

After that, I will spend a bit of time painting the whole thing (carefully minding the weight, all the while) and then order the ducted fans and motors.

After that, maybe a day's work or so, to install the fans, and wire them up.

So, I'm getting there. :rolleyes:

~Luke

:blink: Beautifull.....Small question, won't the CG pose a problem on this model ? Never really thought about this on the scale model but looking at the pics you'll have to place most of the gear in front of the CG which will make it extremely nose heavy, then again better that then taildragging :lol:

Hope to see the inflight pics very soon

On the contrary, I'm worried that I'll end up tail heavy. The ducted fan units each weigh in at an ounce, so that's two ounces quite close to the extreme rear of the aircraft, plus another 0.5 oz or so, for the speed controls. Furthermore, the CG is surprisingly far forwards, somewhere around the leading edge of the root of the wing. The servos and reciever only weigh about 0.6 oz., and these are mounted up in the nose. The battery (3 oz.) will be mounted somewhere inside the stub wing/LEX, just ahead of the CG. Fortunately, I have quite a bit of room in there, so I can move the battery around, until I get it to balance correctly.

~Luke

Edited by IAD