YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. You've got PMs.

Everything's on it's way.

I did change a pair of components; because I was able to get the transmitter at a much lower price than expected, I upgraded the ESCs to lighter, higher-quality units. In the end, the total equipment cost was still lower than the estimate I gave you in that e-mail.

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Just received (and modified) the first components, specifically, the ducted fan units.

To fit in the SV, the intake lips needed to be removed. Previously, this had been a tricky process, involving side-cutters and an X-acto knife. Not this time. I made a little adapter, chucked the duct in a drill, and had the lip cut off in no time flat.

The next box should be getting here on Monday, and that will enable me to boot up the SV, and get some numbers off the propusion system. (Current, thrust, etc.) Once all that's optimized, it's test-flight time!

~Luke

post-3133-1171737134_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

• 2 weeks later...

Motors should be shipped in 1.5 weeks, give or take a bit. The manufacturer had a tooling failure that took a while to get sorted out.

In the mean time, I have come to the conclusion(s) that while the SV-51 is one of the all-time great variable fighter designs, the end of M-0 is definitely NOT satisfying... Nor are various other bits and pieces in the storyline.

What they needed was more battles, less talking! (More SV/VF screen-time, to be exact. ;))

~Luke

Motors should be shipped in 1.5 weeks, give or take a bit. The manufacturer had a tooling failure that took a while to get sorted out.

In the mean time, I have come to the conclusion(s) that while the SV-51 is one of the all-time great variable fighter designs, the end of M-0 is definitely NOT satisfying... Nor are various other bits and pieces in the storyline.

What they needed was more battles, less talking! (More SV/VF screen-time, to be exact. ;))

~Luke

The introduction of the VF-1 J and S in episode 5 would have been awesome to see. Smaller more agile fighter kicking SV butt.

Hehe! That, and a less mystical-magical sort of conclusion... I'm sorry, but symbolic or not, feathers do NOT come out of the exhaust of a shot-up VF-0. (Or maybe Shin ingested a bird? :p)

I'm not sure I'm going to adhere to the smaller-faster = better rule... At long range, it probably wouldn't make much difference, and at close range, I think the M-0 aircraft were already at a point where the limiting factor was the pilot, not the machine.

Then again, it's clear that real life fails to apply a lot in anime/cartoons... For instance, the Shin/Nora/Roy/D.D. chase, where nobody managed to get a guns solution, even though they were flying roughly in a straight line? ;)

~Luke

Is a VF-0S close enough?

Here's how I would do it...

Elevon mix on the wings, V-tail mix on the vertical stabilizers, elevon-mixed thrust-vector, and wing-sweep tied to pitch, for some center-of-gravity shifting, plus the being able to replicate the wing-sweep changes you see when Roy dives after the gunpod. ;)

Probably overkill, really. The elevon mix on the wing's control surfaces might very possibly be enough for decent pitch control, especially if the wings were fixed in the furthest-aft sweep position.

~Luke

I think honestly, were Kawamori to see this, he would wet <i>himself</i> and want one. If you could get Egan Loo's attention here, you may just well get a private message requesting an order on behalf of a certain proud japanese mecha designer...

...think what it would mean to him to see it actually flying like that? I know I'd be proud as hell.

• 4 weeks later...

Sean:

I've just heard from the motor company... Another 4 weeks, estimated. They aren't bluffing, though. They've got one type back in production, and they're filling backlog. So...

Still, this is getting sort of crazy, do you still want wait, or should I start looking at different motors?

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Gotcha. Like I said, it's all about motors. If I had them, I could have the thing flight-ready in a day or two.

I'm keeping tabs on when the motors will be in stock, so we won't waste any time, once they're available... Other than that, all the gear is installed.

What's the date of the WF this year?

~Luke

Edited by IAD

• 3 weeks later...

Look what arrived today!

Unfortunately, I'm on the week before finals here... But, very soon. (Tragically, probably not quite soon enough for the WF... Not with shipping, and what-not.)

But, the light at the end of the tunnel... :D

~Luke

post-3133-1178574534_thumb.jpg