YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

Oh, so sorry! I thought I had turned on e-mail notification for new posts... :unsure:

Yes, just yesterday, I finished facing the back half of the hatch... Tedious process, involving balsa, sandpaper, and slow-drying glue. I'll get some pictures up later today.

Also, the pushrod material finally arrived, so I've started installing that, the thrust-vector feed is in place... Just need to add the elevon and elevator feeds, and the control system will be in place.

~Luke

Edited by IAD

• 4 weeks later...

It FLIES, that's the important fact that sets it apart from any other rendering or modeling of any Macross item. I can't believe I just stumbled on this so late in the game. Awesome stuff!

-Besides, I don't think you could make the vehicle anime-accurate without sacrificing flight characteristics, and this shouldn't even be an option...

It isn't that good...........  :blink:  It'll look fine zipping by at ~30 MPH, 20' off the ground, but at point-blank........ ;)

Anyhow, here's a few new pictures:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.ph...3&postcount=336

~Luke

343840[/snapback]

That reminds me of that scene in Back To The Future where Doc tells Marty McFly "Sorry Marty, I didn't have time to build an exact scale replica of the town square for this experiment" but there was a huge diorama of the city in his lab... lol.

Looks awesome to me!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.ph...4&postcount=346

A few more... I'm reworking the wings, and have finally added the fins/canards.

In my opinion, an exact replica of the SV would be very flyable... It's just dashed hard to build said exact replica strong enough to land in one piece........ :D

Getting closer, though. Next come the thrust-vector vanes.

~Luke

Oh yes, I definitely plan to put the wingtip tanks on... The hard part there isn't getting it to fly with them, it's keeping them from breaking off when it lands.

They should only weigh about ~0.35 oz. for the pair, if I'm [very] careful. I'll attach them to the pylons with tape, or a friction-fit setup... Should minimize the chance of breaking something, if they catch on the grass.

~Luke

Well, I now have the controls for the elevators, elevons and thrust-vector on the left side of the ship installed... One more side to go.

Once I have the right side finished, I'll be making a jig to properly align the upper vertical stabilizers, to help avoid a repeat of ~last time~...

~Luke

Well, I now have the controls for the elevators, elevons and thrust-vector on the left side of the ship installed...  One more side to go.

Once I have the right side finished, I'll be making a jig to properly align the upper vertical stabilizers, to help avoid a repeat of ~last time~...

~Luke

352602[/snapback]

You had previously posted some video links to some of your first models flight tests, but they seem to have gone 404. Do you still have any valid footage available on the web? I'd love to see the videos again (I wasn't smart enough to save them the first time).

Thanks for sharing and keeping us posted :D

Sure, I'll need to free up some webspace, and re-upload them...  Give me a day, and I'll get some new links up.

~Luke

353334[/snapback]

RC Groups now has a section for videos exclusively, with room for 20meg+ uploads. Perhaps you could load them there:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273

Hope to have a MAVE ready soon to meet SV51 in the skies!

Going to SEFF? That would be a great way to show off, and give people a way to see it live.

Ok, uploading as I speak....

http://home.comcast.net/~we-shoppe/SV-513tries.avi

Two really bad 'flights' and a not-so-bad flight.

http://home.comcast.net/~we-shoppe/SV-51-CrashCompressed.avi

The first footage, in which the SV executes a kamakazi on a rose-bush...

Note that the canards were not activated for any of these flights... Once I did that, things went a bit better, but the plane had gained too much weight from all the repairs... So it didn't crash, but it didn't really fly, either. (In short, really boring stuff to watch.)

You know, it's interesting you mention the MAVE... I've been eyeing that thing, trying to imagine how to stabilize it in yaw...

SEFF is a long way from here... (CT) I'd dare say you can't get there from here. ;) I'm just hoping it flies at all, much less in front of large crowds. :D

~Luke

Edited by IAD

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the latest photos. You can see the new thrust-vector hinging solution, with 1/32" dia. steel pivots replacing the all-too-prone-to-deform 1/16" dia. aluminum tube, as used last time. The 1/64" ply bearing plates extend about 0.5" back into the nacelle, distributing the load, so the installation is very strong.

The bottom paddles are almost finished, they should be installed by tomorrow. Then I can work on interlinking the upper and lower sets.

~Luke

post-3133-1138769929_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1138769940_thumb.jpg

post-3133-1138769949_thumb.jpg