YF-19 and SV-51 for radio control

Splash

Wow, just looked at this thread for the first time. Absolutely amazing SV-51. Hope you can take and post some video clips of the thing in flight.

Graham

328841[/snapback]

He has...

here:

http://home.comcast.net/~nsknews/SV...hCompressed.AVI

and here:

http://home.comcast.net/~we-shoppe/SV-513tries.avi

I can't wait to see more...

Carl

328850[/snapback]

That hurt to watch but God damn was that tight. Good work.

I may try a turbulator, if my latest set of fixes doesn't work. (If that's what you're talking about, JadeFalcon. Was your addition oriented spanwise, or chord-wise?)

Putting it plainly though, I don't think that at this size/weight/speed, the inverse spanwise flow is playing a significant role. Don't forget, this aircraft is capable of maybe 35-40 MPH, max., and has a wingloading of less than 9 oz/ft^2.. It's hard to describe, but what I've observed is that at wingloadings below about 10 oz/ft^2, the shape of the wings is increasingly less significant. (As long as the area is there, you're good to go.)

For example, I've flown an aircraft with rather forward-swept wings (see attached) without any problems. If spanwise flow was a serious issue, there should have been a massive nose-up pitching behavior, which simply never happened. Again, it was very light, and flew relatively slowly, at 25-30 MPH, max.. (Interestingly enough, since the swept-forward wing setup worked so well, I think a YF-19 just might work.)

Now, from what I've observed, a heavier, faster model (like your low-wing ship) is much more sensitive to strange wing planforms, and things like turbulators, stall-strips, and wing-fences do their respective jobs better.

I don't think this will ever be a real hotrod, so for me, the object is to get the best low-speed control possible. Of course, this means sensitive controls at higher speed, but again, these lightweight aircraft are pretty easy to fly. Aside from nosing down in flight, it's actually a very stable airframe.

HWR, I actually don't have any subscriptions to model magazines, so they were sort of the last thing on my mind. Keen idea, though.

Originally, I planned not to have any aerodynamic controls, but decided some small ones just to help with keeping things under control in the event of a motor-out condition would be a smart idea. If you look at the photos though, you'll see how small the control-surfaces are. Considering their close proximity to the center of gravity, they can never be very effective. The canards will help with pitch quite a bit, as they are quite far forwards of the center of gravity. In terms of roll, my best guess would be that they won't have much effect, since they are still rather small, and don't have much leverage to get all that wing and what-not moving.

Anyhow, I hope to slip a flight in tomorrow (Friday) but there is a lot of rain predicted from a distantly-passing tropical storm... If I can just get 20 minutes of good weather though, I'll go for it.

~Luke

post-3133-1126842361_thumb.jpg

Edited by IAD

Awesome videos, although the crashes made me go ouch.

Luke, you do realise that you are going to have to make a flyable APHOS as well now :D .

It would be great if we could find some way for Kawamori to see these videos. I bet he'd get a real kick at seeing one of his creations fly for real.

Graham

I'm not sure what you mean bu turbulator. I'm talking about a module that allows to attach two different functions (on two or more seperate servo's) to work together (or inverted) but with an exponantional reaction, i.e. if your rudder goes +1 to the right your ailerons will go also +1 to the right , but if you increase your rudder to +4 your ailerons will go +6 or +8. Equally you can have these inverted so +4 right rudder gives -6 or -8 right aileron (so left ;) ). You could control the canards that with a minimal input on the vanes that your canards don't really react. As soon as you give more input the canards will start to work with the vanes.

As far of the fences go, I installed a fence of 5 cm (about 2.5inch) along the LE of the wings. The problem I had was that the flaperons couldn't control the plane during high speed passes and dives AND on landing speeds the flaps had an adverse effect (i.e. climbing :blink: ). The last didn't have much to see with the airflow an sich as the flaperons where to close to the CG.

Anyway, the fences gave just enough drag and turbulence along the flaperons so I could control the bird.

Judging from the video's the SV seemed very stable. One of my friends had a model from a Kfir (equipped with a push prop). It basicly had the same problem you encountered. I gave him a call last night to get the solution he used. He solved it by getting the canards to work in combination with the flaperons. The resulting problem was that on high speeds the Kfir got extremely sensitive to 'height' inputs. I translated some of your feedbacks and his view was that the canards could give you a hand. The only factor he can't take into account is the size of the model. His smallest model was a 10cc big lift :huh:

Anyway, hope you get it to do what you want.

G.

Edited by jadefalconguard

A turbulator is a thin strip of material raised above the surface of the wing, running spanwise, about 1/3 back along the top surface of the wing. It helps to prevent the airflow from 'detaching' from the back of the airfoil, improving stall characteristics, and the effectiveness of any control surfaces behind it.

I'd like to try some different mixing strategies on the canards, but because this is a very small model, I can't afford the weight of extra servos. (I'm using two servos, with linkages to the various control systems.)

Sounds like non-functional canards are not a good idea, eh? I've got the canards working now, so the next flight should be pretty different... ;)

Anyway, it's been misting all day, so no flight to report. Sunday is suppose to clear up though, so hopefully I'll do some testing then.

~Luke

This is a cross-post from RCG, but pretty much covers all the latest flight-data:

Well, got quite a bit of testing in, the canards really get the control to a point where I can LAND without damaging anything. Unfortunately, as a side-effect, they also make the airframe nose-light. (I did remove the reflex in the fins after a couple tests, to zero in on the issue.)

On every flight, it basically came down to the same thing: On launch, the nose would go up a bit. Naturally, I'd give a down elevator command.

After that, it would fly straight, gaining speed, and the control was perfect (though I'd have to hold the down elevator.) On the first turn, it would balloon up a bit and stop in mid-air. (Classic nose-light behavior.)

The thrust-vector would get the nose back down enough to putter in and land. (The fans couldn't get the airframe back up on step in time, after the mid-air stop.)

After more than an hour of short hops, the airframe was still in one piece, however. This is a big step forwards, and is testimony to the much-improved control system. Towards the end of testing, one of the motors started making a 'click' sound as it was throttled down to 'off'. Sounded like a blade of grass caught in the fan, but I didn't see anything.

The last flight went a bit off-course, and I crashed into a fence, while flying at 75 deg. alpha...(!!!) Thrust-vector + canard + nose-light make for very interesting capabilities, it would seem. Very minor damage, but I decided to stop while I was ahead.

So, looks like the profile job may have given me the proper CG location after all. The active canards did the trick, all my control headaches are gone, and aside from the motor noise, things are looking good. Could have been better, but could have been a lot worse, too. More modifications coming up.

~Luke

Just a quick update. More testing tomorrow (hopefully, if time allows) and some work on a new SV airframe... All foam and fiberglass, to make it stronger, and save weight... (Plus it will look much more scale. Some shots of the CAD work have been posted on the RC-Groups thread.)

Also, I just finished the first couple episodes of the M+ OVA. (My first Macross... :blink: ) Now I have to build a YF-21 after the SV-51. (The 21 is just begging for being made into a flying model... Nice simple airframe, with lots of wing.)

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Just a quick update.  More testing tomorrow (hopefully, if time allows) and some work on a new SV airframe...  All foam and fiberglass, to make it stronger, and save weight...  (Plus it will look much more scale.  Some shots of the CAD work have been posted on the RC-Groups thread.) 

Also, I just finished the first couple episodes of the M+ OVA.  (My first Macross...  :blink:  )  Now I have to build a YF-21 after the SV-51.  (The 21 is just begging for being made into a flying model...  Nice simple airframe, with lots of wing.)

~Luke

330788[/snapback]

Great news, but what about a VF-22 instead of the YF-21, or both :p ? (nicer canopy) What about mind control system? :D

yf-21-fighter.jpg <-YF-21

vf-22s-fighter.jpg <-VF-22S

Good luck for the tests!

Just a quick update.  More testing tomorrow (hopefully, if time allows) and some work on a new SV airframe...  All foam and fiberglass, to make it stronger, and save weight...  (Plus it will look much more scale.  Some shots of the CAD work have been posted on the RC-Groups thread.) 

Also, I just finished the first couple episodes of the M+ OVA.  (My first Macross...  :blink:  )  Now I have to build a YF-21 after the SV-51.  (The 21 is just begging for being made into a flying model...  Nice simple airframe, with lots of wing.)

~Luke

330788[/snapback]

YF-21 o.o... as if the sv-51 wanst incredible enough...i say go for it with all your heart !:ph34r:

/CHEERS

The VF-22 is the same as the YF, except for the canopy is different, correct? (Obviously the VF doesn't have the BDI, etc., but from a modeling point of view....)

Anyhow, I started rough-cutting the foam today for the new SV... Unfortunately, I blew the fuse in the hot-wire cutting transformer... I did get the upper nacelle components cut, though... They look good, and are quite light.

Didn't get any flight testing in, due to poor weather... (Too gusty.)

~Luke

<<Edit: Doi. I meant VF-22, not VF-21.>>

Edited by IAD

The -22 has different belly details, due to a gunpod/missile launcer difference. The two large "belly plates", forward/outer section. I don't have any GOOD pics readily available. I'm not sure of if it's actually a shape difference or simply engravings/details.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Thanks for the info..! Looks like the VF-22S has a pair of internally mounted cannon, whereas the YF-21 has the gunpod mount?

I'm sort of drawn to the YF, though... A bit cleaner, with fewer bumps to model. ;)

On the less real-world side of things: Where do the legs fit/hide on the 21/22S? I've seen it in Gerwalk mode, and it looks like they just 'magically' sprout from the bottom somewhere?

~Luke

Thanks for the info..!  Looks like the VF-22S has a pair of internally mounted cannon, whereas the YF-21 has the gunpod mount?

I'm sort of drawn to the YF, though...  A bit cleaner, with fewer bumps to model.  ;)

On the less real-world side of things:  Where do the legs fit/hide on the 21/22S? I've seen it in Gerwalk mode, and it looks like they just 'magically' sprout from the bottom somewhere?

~Luke

331188[/snapback]

The yf-21 has external mounted gunpods, the vf-22 gunpod its store internally.

The legs are stored retracted inside the fuselage under the two large panels you see in the bottom, its a unique feature of this valk, the arms are the fusulage sides.

Most of the yf-21 anime magic its the front fuselage that become very short in battroid mode.

Look at this perfect transformation model.

http://park1.wakwak.com/~jasshy/yf21.html

Yes, me too. (Hoping for a flight.) I still want to pin down the CG on the balsa version, before I launch my freshly-fiberglassed-super-scale-foam version.... :D

This weekend is shaping up badly for getting the time, though. :(

Thanks again for the info on the 21/22S..!

~Luke

Edited by IAD

Oh, by the way... Is this really what Ivanov looks like? :blink:

A guy with a face like that gets to fly an SV-51 Gamma? I can see it in real life, but in a movie? Good thing he wears that snazzy helmet. :lol:

~Luke

(Or maybe it's his hair... He looks sort of comical, somehow.)

post-3133-1128041244.jpg

Edited by IAD

• 3 weeks later...