Pic of Old School Macross Toys ONLY

Agent-GHQ

Awesome old school items and amazing revelations about the Strike Valkyrie. Makes me wonder if Bandai ever had plans to produce a Super VF-1A given that they used a Takatoku stand in and used artwork to support the VF-1S Strike on the cover art.

But where is the love for these guys. 

Takatoku 1/100 Destroid Conversion Kits!! There pretty incredible toys for their time and the articulation and custom abilities are by far some of the coolest. Oh, and of course it has a metal inner frame.

C0AAC5AC-8832-4B1F-AA39-86F6236AAB14.jpeg

37366428-A5B8-46AE-AE41-6EDC22FB853A.jpeg

Edited by nightmareB4macross

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

How much would it cost to get you to customize one...if you were to accept the job.

Thanks for the compliment, but I know there's far better customizers than me.

My spray painting technique is still hit-and miss. 

There's flaws in my work that I can personally accept, but I'd probably hold myself to a higher standard when doing a custom for someone else.

I'm more than happy to share what I've learned and screwed up on (shameless thread plug! :D), but it's just a fun diversion for me.

18 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Awesome old school items and amazing revelations about the Strike Valkyrie. Makes we wonder if Bandai ever had plans to produce a Super VF-1A given that they used a Takatoku stand in and used artwork o support the VF-1S Strike on the cover art.

But where is the love for these guys. 

Takatoku 1/100 Destroid Coversion Kits!! There pretty incredible toys for their time and the articulation and custom abilities are by far some of the coolest. Oh, and of course it has a metal inner frame.

C0AAC5AC-8832-4B1F-AA39-86F6236AAB14.jpeg

37366428-A5B8-46AE-AE41-6EDC22FB853A.jpeg

Much love for the Conversion Set from me!  If Bandai never comes through on the Phalanx and the Tomahawk....we can use these as stand-ins.

As for the Super VF-1A, I am pretty sure that Takatoku would not have stopped with the "Strike" VF-1S....I think the only reason we did not get more was because of who took over the license.  Bandai never really did much with their Macross license until just recently.  Had Takatoku survived, they would have definitely milked their Macross license!  Oh and Bandai did eventually release Super VF-1A Hikaru and Max "Origin of Valkyrie" combo sets...25 years after acquiring the Macross license...;)

BTW...not to derail the subject....I usually do not get the official DVD/BD releases of the various Macross shows, as a result, I have recently become privy to one particular booklet found in the 25th Anniversary release of the SDFM TV series on DVD....in that set, a fantastic book full of awesome art and other information reveals this tidbit regarding the Tomahawk.....

large.268918010_takanitomahawk.JPG.891af

Essentially, it states that the original Takani painting shows a Tomahawk with a definite green hue to it, however, animators erroneously painted the Tomahawk the "tanish" color we are all familiar with.  As a result, we all got the "tan" Tomahawk instead! 

Well, except for this "old school" bugger!.....The Takatoku Toys Small Vinyl Tomahawk!

large.20200505_110656.jpg.85e2f4bf423f87

.....and years later, the homage from Yamato.....

51W6Vc471YL._AC_.jpg

Edited by jvmacross

10 hours ago, Mog said:

Thanks for the compliment, but I know there's far better customizers than me.

My spray painting technique is still hit-and miss. 

There's flaws in my work that I can personally accept, but I'd probably hold myself to a higher standard when doing a custom for someone else.

I'm more than happy to share what I've learned and screwed up on (shameless thread plug! :D), but it's just a fun diversion for me.

I have done work for others precisely twice. First time the paint was to spec and  I even gave them a choice of finishes with examples.job accepted and paid for... cue phone call a few days later saying the paint came off.  I wasn’t told the wanted to keep it in the bathroom.... WTF. Second time it was a freebie exchanged for some other work. It got put in a cupboard and was seen on eBay a little while later, it didn’t sell then was left behind when they moved house.  I might not be the best but I’m far from the worst, so commissioned work is a pass for me too. Unless it’s 3D printings where you finish your own work off.

23 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Much love for the Conversion Set from me!  If Bandai never comes through on the Phalanx and the Tomahawk....we can use these as stand-ins.

As for the Super VF-1A, I am pretty sure that Takatoku would not have stopped with the "Strike" VF-1S....I think the only reason we did not get more was because of who took over the license.  Bandai never really did much with their Macross license until just recently.  Had Takatoku survived, they would have definitely milked their Macross license!

BTW...not to derail the subject....I usually do not get the official DVD/BD releases of the various Macross shows, as a result, I have recently become privy to one particular booklet found in the 25th Anniversary release of the SDFM TV series on DVD....in that set, a fantastic book full of awesome art and other information reveals this tidbit regarding the Tomahawk.....

large.268918010_takanitomahawk.JPG.891af

Essentially, it states that the original Takani painting shows a Tomahawk with a definite green hue to it, however, animators erroneously painted the Tomahawk the "tanish" color we are all familiar with.  As a result, we all got the "tan" Tomahawk instead! 

Well, except for this "old school" bugger!.....The Takatoku Toys Small Vinyl Tomahawk!

large.20200505_110656.jpg.85e2f4bf423f87

.....and years later, the homage from Yamato.....

51W6Vc471YL._AC_.jpg

Nice work the there.

7 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Old School "REAL DICAST MODEL & HIGH QUOLITY TYPE" Macross! :drinks:

large.20200509_193131.jpg.cfc5b2f707c9d9

Back in 1985 they had these in my local toy/model shop. Never did get the money to buy em then someone came in and bought everything in one go..........

1 hour ago, big F said:

Back in 1985 they had these in my local toy/model shop. Never did get the money to buy em then someone came in and bought everything in one go..........

I have a similar story....except the shop where I acquired my first set only had 5....the VF-1J, Tomahawk, Defender, Phalanx and Spartan...the shop held them for me for a couple of weeks, but I bought them all...took me months to find the last two.

Nowadays, you can find practically anything online in a matter of a few clicks....the hunt isn't what it used to be...kind of miss going to the comic and hobby shops looking for stuff or hitting the comic and toy shows knowing you will find something new....and I won't even get started with mail-order catalogs! :lol:

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I have a similar story....except the shop where I acquired my first set only had 5....the VF-1J, Tomahawk, Defender, Phalanx and Spartan...the shop held them for me for a couple of weeks, but I bought them all...took me months to find the last two.

Nowadays, you can find practically anything online in a matter of a few clicks....the hunt isn't what it used to be...kind of miss going to the comic and hobby shops looking for stuff or hitting the comic and toy shows knowing you will find something new....and I won't even get started with mail-order catalogs! :lol:

Yes the two model shops near me are only interested in trains or tanks. Next nearest is an RC shop that sells models as thats what they did since the 80’s.

Sad to think that back in the late 90’s I was sponsored by a model shop ( for RC car racing) and often worked there to cover and get more kit to race with. I never abused the suppliers to get any iconic kits, just bought if it was on the shelves.

I did try and get the UK Hasegawa suppliers to get me some Macross kits but was declined several times. My friend actually worked at another shop, sadly now gone, and cleared a load of old imai kits when they switched suppliers...... should.... coulda.....

Ok, promise I won't talk/derail this thread about Matchbox VF-1S again after this, but ran across this pic from a toy trade magazine on ebay tonight.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toy-Trade-News-Feb-1986-Dealer-Catalog-Marvel-25-Yrs-He-Man-Robotech-GI-Joe-ARAH/114009106612?hash=item1a8b78e8b4:g:eUQAAOSwr3hd70eO

The VF-1S toy actually started out as a transformable toy? This one is in full gerwalk mode, Wonder if it could go to battroid mode. There is a screw in the swing bars that to me implies it could transform. (if this was well known, sorry, I don't know anything about the Robotech toys, just found it interesting.)

Dang it...I should have checked this cool site called 'macrossworld' back from 2008..doh! There it is! Wonder where on youtube that video exists.

Hey..there is also this new thing called 'google' I discovered too, wow I'm am just rocking it tonight.  :P
https://robotech.fandom.com/wiki/Prototype_Toy_Presentation

S

s-l1600 (7).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Grabbed the ARII that I gave my son to add to this.

448A9FE5-4A11-41F2-98A3-D8B02A1FE2C1.jpeg

These were released in 1997.  Not sure if they can be considered "old school" releases.  However, I suppose you can stretch the "old school" cred if you consider they are based off of "old school" ARII kits.

52 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

These were released in 1997.  Not sure if they can be considered "old school" releases.  However, I suppose you can stretch the "old school" cred if you consider they are based off of "old school" ARII kits.

Son-uva...

30A60842-4510-46A3-9DD3-699B46540501.jpeg.1399565713208c3a28eaa8095c9c354b.jpeg

Well, love learning so thanks.

• 3 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 7:13 PM, Shawn said:

It is a retail display-got it for a whopping $18!  :)

I'll set it up in a couple weeks with the 3 valks and post a pic how it looks in 'Store Mode'

Hi Shawn,

Have you had time to display these items and take pictures? 

Would really love to see this set up.

As always thanks for not only keeping this site going but your contributions to the Macross community as well.

19 hours ago, nightmareB4macross said:

Hi Shawn,

Have you had time to display these items and take pictures? 

Would really love to see this set up.

As always thanks for not only keeping this site going but your contributions to the Macross community as well.

Same here.  :lol:

• 4 months later...