Unknown planes in SDF: Macross

ewilen

Number 1: In "Boobytrap", about 5:15 into the episode. It's a black airplane with twin engines and twin vertical stabilizers, plus several smaller thruster nozzles pointing to the rear. Since the view is from the back, it's hard to make out, but it doesn't look like anything I could find in Macross Perfect Memory except possibly the red & blue Valk "prototypes" on p. 227 and the similar line drawings at bottom left of p. 240. It's not a VF-1 or a VF-X, since the main engine nozzles are circular. I can't make a screencap right now but I might be able to if necessary.

Number 2: May not appear in the animation, but is shown at bottom right of p. 165 of Macross Perfect Memory. Twin engine, delta wing with vertical fins on the wingtips, one large cannon built into the underbody. It's not a Dragon II, which appears on the same page. Katakana reads "karyobin". There's also some kanji which I can't read. Here's a scan.

Any ideas?

post-2-1064467320_thumb.jpg

MiM-31 Karyobin(what the hell is that ?), cannon fodder of the F-203 Dragon.

It is supposed to be an aircraft that can fulfill the role of the MiG-29 and Su-25. Think the gun is an anti-tank weapon.

I think it did carry missiles only that it was not really shown in detail.

A macross mini series showing the early life of Roy Focker would be good to unleash this cat.

The Karyobin has one teeny tiney appearance during the flashback when Claudia is talking about meeting roy, as for the other plane, I think that is what alot of people refer to as the F-200 Mistral the only time I've ever seen it in full view is from a line drawing from one of the more obscure Anime books.

Thanks very much. The black aircraft could inded be the FL-200 Mistral, pictured here. Elsewhere on mahq.net it's implied that there once was an entry at macrossmecha.org, but the link doesn't work anymore.

It seems the Robotechies refer to it as the Mastiff, and this site confirms that it's the fighter shown in episode 1. The technical notes indicate that the drawings come from This is Animation #5.

• 1 year later...