Completed VC-27, VC-33, EC-33B, and Fanjet

MechTech

Thank you for the compliment. I built the painted ones around two or three years ago. The resin one is recent. I've done several non-Macross models in the mean time (Scratch built destroyer and Battleship Yamato (IJN) models parts. All plastic (except for the wooden box). I cheated on the VC-27. The intakes and wheels are resin castings. I also used Milliput to form the nose.

MechTech you are a GENIUS!!!! Awesome models!!! I can´t wait to see your 1/200 Daedalus - the biggest dream I dare to have is a 1/1000 SDF one day but your project seems to be the most ambitious and challenging I can think of. Please make pics of the whole build-up.

• 8 months later...

Hi MECH TECH:

I just saw the miniture models that you did, they are so professionally done, if you didn't tell me, I would have thought you bought them from the street.

I like to scratch built models too, and I did some miniture ones too. But I was wondering if you could teach us how to make the one you show in the picture?

The ones that I did are made from strlene board, here is a few:

- The helicopter from Patlabor the movie I

- Yukikaze

- FA-2 Fand 2

post-3663-1143784430_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1143784444_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1143784455_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1143784466_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1143784476_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1143784490_thumb.jpg

post-3663-1143784505_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I am not sure what they are called, but I love the design so much that I have to make one.

I made this one almost 10 yrs ago, when I had a lot of time... I don't want to promise you anything, because I am doing my graduate studies after work now, so I am a little bit busy... But I will try to make you an unpainted one (within 1 year?) Is that ok?

VF_1 I will do ANYTHING for the Patlabor helix. I love that little thing. I think they are called hellriders?

386105[/snapback]

Thanks!

I am not sure what they are called, but I love the design so much that I have to make one.

I made this one almost 10 yrs ago, when I had a lot of time...  I don't want to promise you anything, because I am doing my graduate studies after work now, so I am a little bit busy...  But I will try to make you an unpainted one (within 1 year?)  Is that ok?

VF_1 I will do ANYTHING for the Patlabor helix. I love that little thing. I think they are called hellriders?

386105[/snapback]

386144[/snapback]

Whats your graduate work in? If its a Arts based (politics/history/sociology/Psychology) we may be able to make a little deal. ;)

Ha ha, thanks for your offer, that was very nice of you.

I went to engineering school (mechanical engg and robotic engg), and my graduate studies in the area of material science (i.e. studying microstructure of steel and how they effect the strength and property...) Kind of geeky hey? That's why I like to make my own toys...

by the way,when I was in Vancouver, I pick up a little "hell diver" figure that match the heli's scale. Do you want to see it? I can show you the pics.

VF 1s,

Thank you for the compliments. I've had a couple of people ask about "how to" scratch build-ups. I'll do a general article and pick a subject. I'm thinking of doing the shuttle due to a couple of requests for it. Does that sound good? It would be hard to describe the build up of the fan jet since I really didn't use any plans.

Your aircraft look great. What scale are they in? (I haven't seen those shows yet)

Yes Yes, that will be great! Thanks! What I am perticular interested in is how you do the panel lines, windows, and the "metal?" landing gear for the fan jet. Did you cast them?

Thanks for your complement too. The aircrafts are in 1/200 scale, well approximately. I am also building a carrier for them too, it kind of resembles the space ship "sulaco" in alien II, but I am building it out of foam boards, and it is no where as detail as your Daedalus. Can't wait to see it when you are done.

Thanks again!

• 7 months later...

HOLY CRIKEY!

SCRATCH BUILT?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(*#&$(*#$(&*#(!!!!!!!!!!

So much for my Prometheus project.

I'm ditching that one now after seeing this.

HOLY CRAP.

Edited by Skull-1

I thought this thread was gone off the scope.

Hey Skull-1, you're supposed to be inspired. You gotta start somewhere. I wouldn't ditch your Promethius project. My philosophy is that if I can do it, anybody can. I just didn't pick up some styrene and build something out of the blue. It's like everything, you learn as you go. - MT

• 1 year later...
Paragon, welcome to MW. Here's what drawing I still have (and it's not complete. Something happened to my older ones.post-2518-1202242341_thumb.jpg I hope this helps. - MT

Hi MechTech,

Do you have the profiles of your other planes. I would like to build some 1/72 scale similar planes (when I will have the time). Your work could help a lot.

For sure, your models are beautiful and really great ! :o (I didn't have seen this thread before on the forum...and this treasure was here since 2005 !!!)

Sorry jipe, that's all I have left :( . You REALLY want the Macross Perfect Memory book. I didn't have it and made a few mistakes using limited resources with what I built. The book is still around for retail if you Google it. LOTS O' SKETCHES! It's the greatest resource book next to the big expensive gold one! - MT

• 1 year later...

After a couple of years of staring at the yellow pile of pieces called the fan liner ("modifications" done by my daughter), I decided to begin fixing it. I'm still praying Yamato releases the 3rd 1/200 set which is supposed to have one in it (e-mail and beg them ^_^ ).

I still need to do some scribing and redo the landing gear and doors. The canopy height was lowered to make it more accurate.

post-2518-1260734813_thumb.jpgpost-2518-1260734831_thumb.jpg

It may not be another couple of months until I get back to it. - MT

Neptunesurvey - I hadn't considered casting them on large scale. The other planes are way too large. The VC-33 would not be a problem if there are serious interests.

Thanks RuskiiFaussi! - MT

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, my babies have found a good home and have been shipped off! The good news is that they're funding new tooling for the next generation of builds. Just a couple of farewell photos in the event this thread gets ressurected (again). - MT

post-2518-0-26147100-1361045525_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-94654100-1361045535_thumb.jpg

post-2518-0-95746300-1361045542_thumb.jpg

Hey Focker, I'm seriously thinking about doing them in 1/350 one of these days - they'll still be big even in that scale. That won't be for some time if I do. I'm pretty much redoing all my stuff in 1/350. You'll see more on that later on. These are definitely doable via shapeways, but I built these old school from plastic, so there's no virtual files for them.

We've had most every other Macross vehicle put into resin, these should be done by somebody on MW. - MT