Mazinkaiser

areaseven

mazinkaiser.gifadv15.jpg

Mazinkaiser ( マジンカイザー )

Dynamic Planning/Bandai Visual, 2001-2002

ADV Films, 2003

Directed by Masahiko Murata (Serial Experiments Lain, Getter Robo Armageddon).

Rated 15+ for graphic violence, nudity, suggestive sexual situations and strong language.

"Mazin Go!" - Koji Kabuto

In one of their epic battles, the Mazinger Team suffers a crushing defeat at the hands of Dr. Hell and his minions after Mazinger Z is stolen and its pilot, the legendary Koji Kabuto, is rendered missing in action. Just when Dr. Hell's second-in-command, Baron Ashura, uses Mazinger Z against our heroes, Koji makes a surprise return in Mazinkaiser - an all-new Mazinger with heavier armor and deadlier attacks.

Story: B

I was seriously into this series during the first two episodes, but episodes 3-4 got pretty lame with all the gratuitous fan service. Really unnecessary, even if most of creator Go Nagai's works are hentai-oriented. But then again, it picked up with episodes 5-7, despite the hokey elements on the side.

Animation: B+

I would've given Mazinkaiser an A+, but episode 4 had really goofy artwork and animation that looked like the whole production team was on crack. Aside from that, the mecha designs by Tatsuo Yamada (Getter Robo Armageddon) are awesome.

The opening sequence looks cool, but it makes you think the animators have been watching too many Duran Duran videos.

Soundtrack: A-

Mazinkaiser uses an impressive orchestral score reminiscent of Giant Robo. The opening theme, "Fire Wars" by JAM Project, absolutely rocks.

Sub vs. Dub

Reprising their roles after over 30 years are Hiroya Ishimaru (Sengoku in Cyber City Oedo 808, Agrippa in Turn-A Gundam) as Koji, Johji Yanami (Narrator in Dragon Ball/DBZ/DBGT, Jubei in Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture) as Professor Yumi, Hidekatsu Shibata (Geese in Fatal Fury, Degwin Zabi in Mobile Suit Gundam) as Male Baron Ashura, and Kousei Tomita as Dr. Hell. Joining the cast are Hiroshi Yanaka (Celestin in Ah! My Goddess: The Movie, Tsukioka in Rurouni Kenshin: The Motion Picture) as Tetsuya, Ai Uchikawa as Sayaka, Fumihiko Tachiki (Gendo in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Choro-sama in A Little Snow Fairy Sugar) as Boss, Sayaka Aida (Taiyo in Machine Robo Rescue) as Shiro, Mitsuki Saiga (King of Bandit Jing, Tsukasa in .hack//SIGN) as Jun, Akiko Hiramatsu (Yukari-sensei in Azumanga Daioh, Miyuki in You're Under Arrest) as Lolly, Shiho Kikuchi (Ayamo in Stratos 4) as Roll, and Haruko Kitahama as Female Baron Ashura.

ADV's English dub tries too hard to sound like Giant Robo, but fails miserably.

DVD Extras: B-

Each DVD comes with original line art, sketches and untouched opening/ending sequences. Despite a confusing and sometimes unreadable menu, the two DVDs are worth buying.

The Bottom Line

Despite all the raunchy fan service, Mazinger is back - big-time. Now for a Mazinkaiser vs. Shin Getter Robo anime...

Links

Bandai Visual's Official Mazinkaiser Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

• 4 weeks later...

The drawing for both Mazinkaiser series (first and the new mazinkaiser OVA) is very manga like. I don't know why other robots bother to make an appearance since they usually get "butt kicked" and have Mazinkaiser saving them at the end though Boss is more helpful in the new OVA. In this "vs Daishougun" OVA, Mazinkaiser has a few more weapons. I also like the song by JAM Project.

Edited by MacrossX

• 1 month later...

oav2cover.jpg

Mazinkaiser: Shitou! Ankoku Daishogun ( マジンカイザー 死闘!暗黒大将軍 )

Dynamic Planning/Bandai Visual, 2003

ADV Films (Release Date Pending)

Directed by Masahiko Murata (Serial Experiments Lain)

Not Rated (Suggested 17+). Contains extreme violence & gore and mature situations.

A race of subterranean beasts called the "Mikene" appear out of nowhere and indiscrimiately wreak havoc all over the world. Kouji Kabuto must race against time to once again pilot Mazinkaiser and defeat the Mikene and their feared leader Ankoku Daishogun.

Story: B+

Wow, here's an anime title that doesn't let go of the action. Death and destruction occur non-stop throughout this one-hour OAV. Key characters immediately get killed off (I won't tell you who, though, because you will cry!). Great Mazinger and Venus A are battered beyond repair. The Photo-Atomic Laboratory is decimated. Total carnage, I tell you. And the way Mazinkaiser deals with all this...you just have to watch it for yourself.

Animation: A-

For this type of game, the new Mazinkaiser OAV boasts leaner and meaner animation. The battles between Mazinkaiser and the Mikene are pure hardcore heaven for any Super Robot fan.

Soundtrack: A-

A darker and gritter musical score - along with some hair-metal themes by JAM Project - totally match the apocalyptic setting.

The Bottom Line

With this OAV one-shot, Mazinkaiser retains the title of Hardcore Champion of Super Robots.

Links

Bandai Visual's Official Mazinkaiser Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven

Little late with the review on this one, eh? Anyways, it was a decent OVA. A lot better then the first one. Though I'm still not liking the lack of character development. Especially with Tetsuya. The Mikene Empire is HIS enemy. Kouji was buddying up with Duke Fleed (Grendizer's pilot) when the Mikene Empire was attacking. And I wish at some point in either OVA they would drop a hint that Tetsuya and Jun are brother and sister (both were adopted by Kouji's father, who is now a robot. How Shiro never kept his sanity through that is beyond me), or Hell, where Great Mazinger came from. But it was still a decent OVA. No where near as good as Last Day of the Planet, but it had Nagai's violence which was a welcome return ^_^ You gotta love the ending with the sword dropping :p

Just heard about this Mazinkaiser vs Ankoku Daishogun OVA, but not much info. Is this a continuing OVA series with more episodes coming up? Or is it a single DVD stand alone release with only 2 episodes total?

Thanks.

It's a continuation of Mazinkaiser and only one episode with a 1-hour running time. I'm sure Dynamic and Bandai will produce another follow-up soon.