Best Gaming Platform?

Mechamaniac

I'm thinking of buying a gaming platform, but really need the advice and opinions of our resident Otaku Gamers.

I don't tend to play spprts games etc, and am primarily interested in anime related games, adventure games, and most especially, mech related games.

So, that being said, which platform offers the widest variety of anime and mech related gmaes, and though that may be the case, are the games any good??

I think the PS2 has the widest selection of mech games with all the Japanese released Gundam games, and If I get a PS2, I intend to mod it, so that I can play them, as well as R2 DVD's, so I will get dual usage out of a PS2.

I'm not really a fan of the XBOX, but will consider it.

A friend of mine has a Gamecube, and it's pretty cool, but can it play DVD's as well?, and is it too new a platform to offer a wide variety of games?

Arigato.

I'm with Britai 7018 too.....if you're looking for a large selectioni of mecha games (with heavy support from overseas companies) then go with the PS2. As much as I like the X-Box I don't see Microsoft delving into the anime genre like the PS2 has.......Sony has better game developers. B)

i'm guessing the gamecube runs on DVD mini disks...i doubt you could play DVD's on a gamecube though

get a gamecube if you're into games like Mario, Donkey Kong, or Megaman (since only the new MM games are coming out exclusively to nintendo, except the old school ones that are going to be available for the ps2 and gc)

but get a PS2 if you like a little bit of everything...and hey, it even plays dvds too! and that's always a good thing

Well, if you want lots of variety in mech action in the console arena, then a PS2 is your best bet. I have to warn you, though, variety does not mean quality, and games based on movie/tv show/anime licenses tend to suck the big one.

PS2 does have Armoured Core, which is a good mech game. On the other hand, XBox has Mech Assault, for which I've heard lots of praise. No mech related games come to mind when thinking of the Cube, so that might be a big knock against it for what you're looking for.

However, when it comes to good games, it is my personal opinion that the Cube has both the XBox and the PS2 beat. PS2, while having the largest library of games, seems to have the smallest quantity of actual good titles. XBox would probably edge the PS2 out in number of 'worth having' titles. The Cube on the other hand excels at quality.

So, for someone that wants lots of good games, top notch quality in both graphics and gameplay, I'd reccomend the Cube. For you, though, you want anime related mech games. In your case, I'd suggest a PS2 but with a heavy dose of 'Buyer Beware'.

DOes the PC count as a platform? B) I totally gave up on all the other platforms, I feel that the PC has the best of everything. If your computer is not set up for gaming, I say try that instead.

DOes the PC count as a platform?  B)  I totally gave up on all the other platforms, I feel that the PC has the best of everything. If your computer is not set up for gaming, I say try that instead.

Oh, my PC rocks.

However, there is something to be said for the gaming platform. You never have to worry about whether you should go out and buy that new 500 dollar video card to support some new game, you don't have to buy special controllers, and you don't have to worry about installing software which invariably shortens the life span of any MS operating system,. Those of you who have MS op systems know that they are really only good for about 6 months before a reload is required anyway, and once you start hitting the registry, that drops even faster.

Plus, it has the added benefit of keeping my kids OFF MY PC!! :rolleyes:

If you're looking for solid mech sims to play, then the PC may be your best bet. Here's a list of some of the titles.

Mechwarrior 3 (and expansion packs)

Mechwarrior 4 (and expansion packs)

Heavy Gear 2 (old but great)

Mechwarrior Mercenaries (both the old game and the new one using MW4 engine)

The downside to all of this is how much a good pc will cost you... Be prepared to set aside $1000 at least, if you're planning to put it together yourself.

If you're looking for solid mech sims to play, then the PC may be your best bet. Here's a list of some of the titles.

Mechwarrior 3 (and expansion packs)

Mechwarrior 4 (and expansion packs)

Heavy Gear 2 (old but great)

Mechwarrior Mercenaries (both the old game and the new one using MW4 engine)

The downside to all of this is how much a good pc will cost you... Be prepared to set aside $1000 at least, if you're planning to put it together yourself.

Nah, more like$700, but I have a side business, and get computer parts at cost. I always build my own, and never buy premade DELL, Gateway, HP, Micron, or Compaq garbage. My PC is basically an Alienware rig but without their fruity case, or knockout pricetag.

The only thing I need to get is a nice Saitek X45 and I'm set.

But like I said, the PS2 or what have you has the benefit of being completely plug and play, and it keeps my kids from pounding on my precious, myyy precccioussss. PC.

I prefer the PC as well, although I haven't played too many mech games. However, I have played Heavy Gear and Heavy Gear 2. For playstation games, I use the EPSXE PC emulator. On that I've played VF-X and VF-X2. I liked VF-X2 quite a bit, dispite its failings. Macross VO was also kind of fun, and that was for the PC.

I never really got into consoles because I have found PCs to be so much more versatile. I am a big Star Wars fan, and most of the good games traditionally (mainly the OT ones) have been for PC. Also, PC games tend to be much more moddable. Custom models and maps can really extend the life of a game.

There appears to be a new Macross game coming out for PS2 though...

It's funny, I used to be a PC only gamer. I mean my PC is still upkept with the latest and greates gear, but since I've bought both an X-Box and PS2, I very rarely play games on my pc anymore...

as for anime based, mech related games, i would say PS2 has more offerings then either the xbox or cube. Though now that the cube has come down in price, i think i will pick it up. :)

as for modding my PS2, does anyone know where in Toronto i can get it done? I just want to pay someone to do it, i'm too much of a dumb-ass to attempt it myself.. :lol:

I'll throw in my $0.02 for the XBox, which is the only console I have. MechAssault is the single most entertaining mecha game I've played on any platform.. and I'm a huge PC gamer.. I've played every Mechwarrior/Battletech game ever released on PC. So far, MechAssault is the most fun IMO.. sure, it's not a simulator like the PC games are, but it's designed to be an action game! Add the benefit of online multiplayer via XBox Live and you have a game that will last a long time. Capture the Flag with battlemechs is awesome, btw.

a few features/details of the game:

-amazing graphics

-unmatched mecha detail/animation

-realistic heatsink effects

-coolest explosions.. EVER

-you can literally destroy EVERYTHING unless it's a hill or the ground or someting..

-entertaining voice acting

-the most engrossing MechWarrior storyline as of late (MW4 was so forgettable)

-super-simple control design for piloting the mech.. not even a 5 min learning curve.

Now, if any of you have played Steel Battalion, please speak up on that one.. I've never played or really seen it.. the gigantic controller you need for it is intimidating.

as for modding my PS2,  does anyone know where in Toronto i can get it done? I just want to pay someone to do it,  i'm too much of a dumb-ass to attempt it myself..    :lol:

Downtown TO: Chinatown Centre. There's only one game store there.

Elsewhere: Pacific Mall. It's one of the outer edged stores. Sorry, been awhile since I've been there.

As for best console for anime and mecha related, my votes for PS2. Plenty of anime-type games that've satisfied my anime/gaming needs.

I finally decided to get a PS2 as well, but I'm still pondering whether I should get a mod or not. (It's just 80 more bucks that I don't have :( ) BTW, Is there a region code difference between Japanese and European games?

Edited by Burn

I finally decided to get a PS2 as well, but I'm still pondering whether I should get a mod or not. (It's just 80 more bucks that I don't have :( ) BTW, Is there a region code difference between Japanese and European games?

Yep. Europe is R2 Pal, Japan is R2 NTSC. I know just changing the TV setting should be able to play Japanese games... but it doesn't. Theres more to it then just TV settings. :unsure: