The Next Doctor - A quick review.....

Nothing too detailed, just some thoughts on it.

Ok, firstly I never believed that "The Next Doctor" was really the Doctor at all.

All in all a very good christmas episode and far more enjoyable than the Voyage of the Damned last year. Well plotted, well paced and a lot of fun. Some death in it which is ok but VOTD was TOO much of a slaughterfest for an Xmas show.

Highlight of the episode (literally), when Tennant projects the Cyberthingy onto the wall and we get a look at all of his past incarnations, fantastic stuff.

Lowlight of the episode - Miss Hartigan - Nothing wrong with Dervla Kirwan's performance (she is always brilliant), but the character itself is never really explained properly.

Excellent achievement on a TV budget - The Cyberking. The Cybermen go all giant robot mecha on us. Great stuff.

New creation with great potential that was not properly realised - The Cybershades, a great idea, fast moving allies of the cybermen (an idea not seen since the Cybermats), but the costume was a bit on the laughable side.

If you haven't seen this episode yet, WATCH IT.

Taksraven

What with the usual seasonal distractions, I forgot to point out that the BBC has finally broadcast the TV version of "Doctor Who At The Proms" today...! Look for it on the inter-tubes; if you want to see just how much the show is loved, watch the children in the audience about to widdle themselves when certain "old friends" of the Doctor gatecrash the party... :lol:

Edited by F-ZeroOne

The very latest hot tip:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiwetel_Ejiofor

Does tie in with my theory that the new Doctor will be - like all the other new Doctors - someone who has been around, got lots of critical acclaim, but isn't overly well known to the public at large. Apparently, some Who forums are saying that this is pretty much certain but just needs to be announced...!

Beat me to it - been at work! Well, it does at least confirm my theory that whoever it was was going to be someone known to the industry and critics but not overly well known to the public... :)

I'd never heard of him before this evening, and my first - almost certainly wrong impression - was "Blimey! They've given Morrissey a humour transplant and made him the Doctor!" :lol:

"And if a Dalek should ex-term-i-nate the two of us, to die by your side... "

Beat me to it - been at work! Well, it does at least confirm my theory that whoever it was was going to be someone known to the industry and critics but not overly well known to the public... :)

This is exactly what I suspected was going to happen as well. Even though I had hoped it could have been another actor, I wish Matt all the best in this new role.

Although it does kind of bug me that the Doctor is finally being played by an actor who is younger than me, this is simply me being a silly old fart, BUT there will be lots of others in Dr Who fandom who do start to bag him out and criticise him even before he does ANY filming for the role.

smith_doctor_2.jpg

Taksraven

It seems a few people - and I'm one of them - are slightly spooked by the fact that the new Doctor is now younger than, well... us. I mean, he was eight when I was at the British equivalent of High School! He never saw the Empire Strikes Back at the cinema (the first time!) I bet he doesn't even know the words to "Jamie and the Magic Torch!" * :lol:

OTOH, it could lead to some interesting possible future interactions...

"Thats not how I taught you to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!"

"Awww, Daadddd!" :)

* "JAMIE! JAMIE! Jamie and the Magic Torch!". Okay, its not hard. But still... :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

It seems a few people - and I'm one of them - are slightly spooked by the fact that the new Doctor is now younger than, well... us. I mean, he was eight when I was at the British equivalent of High School! He never saw the Empire Strikes Back at the cinema (the first time!)

Well, as I've observed before, I think that this was the major complaint that a lot of Star Trek fans had with the Next Generation series when it came out, particularly in regards to the Wesley Crusher character. Regardless of the fact that his character was an annoying nerd (how many trek fans are not able to empathise with that), it was the fact that he was so far removed from the baby boomers and other fans of the original series that many decided to hate his guts.

Now, with this new Doctor who is so young, I think that many older fans of the 'classic' series are going to have a difficult time coping with him. Younger fans should not have such issues.

Taksraven

I haven't got any real problem with his age. Its just... well, you know how they say Policemen seem to be getting younger all the time? :lol:

As you get older, its hard to avoid that kind of, i dunno, I guess *prejudice* might be the right word. I went to a new dentist once and he was clearly younger than me and I did not feel comfortable. (He did his job fine though)

Taksraven

It seems a few people - and I'm one of them - are slightly spooked by the fact that the new Doctor is now younger than, well... us. I mean, he was eight when I was at the British equivalent of High School! He never saw the Empire Strikes Back at the cinema (the first time!) I bet he doesn't even know the words to "Jamie and the Magic Torch!" * :lol:

OTOH, it could lead to some interesting possible future interactions...

"Thats not how I taught you to reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!"

"Awww, Daadddd!" :)

* "JAMIE! JAMIE! Jamie and the Magic Torch!". Okay, its not hard. But still... :)

* "down the helterskelter faster and faster.... Jamie"

this is so lost on anyone not from the uk

1045d1141904219-childrens-tv-jamie_and_the_magic_torch.jpg

I remember watching the very first episode the very first time it was on T.V, it premiered just after ButtonMoon which also premiered the same day.

Oww that was nearly thirty years ago.

Just in case our Macross cousins across the pond are wondering - UK childrens TV in the 70s and 80s was probably made using quite a lot of the left-over drugs of the 60s. :)

Oh, we had our share here too. Anything by Sid and Marty Kroft is a prime example...

* "down the helterskelter faster and faster.... Jamie"

this is so lost on anyone not from the uk

1045d1141904219-childrens-tv-jamie_and_the_magic_torch.jpg

I remember watching the very first episode the very first time it was on T.V, it premiered just after ButtonMoon which also premiered the same day.

Oww that was nearly thirty years ago.

I'm too young to know Jamie and the Magic Torch (I have heard of it thought) I certainly remember watching Button Moon, I really enjoyed it's low budget goodness ^_^

On the topic of the new Doctor, he's still older than me by 2 years so I can't complain about that. As for his acting, I've watched a couple of the shows he was in, I think he'll do pretty well :) Of course we won't find out for sure till 2010

Just in case our Macross cousins across the pond are wondering - UK childrens TV in the 70s and 80s was probably made using quite a lot of the left-over drugs of the 60s. :)

Danger Mouse was really cool. Effing Bananaman though, eeewwwwww. (Even if the guys doing the voices were some of the coolest guys on earth.)

Taksraven

I think that you all may want to go to

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/

It has loads of stuff on the oldies from right back to the 60's, pictures and videos, all types of programs are included even the news and channel i dents.

It is at the moment mostly U.K stuff but this is o.k seeing as how the U.K imports a lot of its t.v anyhow. The international section is growing though.

Some tasters

buttonmoon1986-a.jpg Valkyrie Nut just for you.

dangermouse1983-a.jpg Where would the world be without D.M Mickey's slightly hard James Bond like cousin

chorltonandthewheelies1976-a.jpg My favorite. The best a slightly fat friendly dragon with a Yorkshire-esq accent who just wanted everyone to be friends.

bananaman1983-a.jpg all together ..... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rentaghost1975-a.jpg The oposite to Ghostbusters, Live in a house without Ghosts, then you can hire some.

Not forgetting the likes of the Clangers, Bagpuss and Willo the Wisp these programs have already got a masive cult status, and you can get them on DVD :) they are excellent for when you come home from the pub after an night on the wobble juice.

I think that you all may want to go to

http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/

It has loads of stuff on the oldies from right back to the 60's, pictures and videos, all types of programs are included even the news and channel i dents.

It is at the moment mostly U.K stuff but this is o.k seeing as how the U.K imports a lot of its t.v anyhow. The international section is growing though.

Some tasters

buttonmoon1986-a.jpg Valkyrie Nut just for you.

dangermouse1983-a.jpg Where would the world be without D.M Mickey's slightly hard James Bond like cousin

chorltonandthewheelies1976-a.jpg My favorite. The best a slightly fat friendly dragon with a Yorkshire-esq accent who just wanted everyone to be friends.

bananaman1983-a.jpg all together ..... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rentaghost1975-a.jpg The oposite to Ghostbusters, Live in a house without Ghosts, then you can hire some.

Not forgetting the likes of the Clangers, Bagpuss and Willo the Wisp these programs have already got a masive cult status, and you can get them on DVD :) they are excellent for when you come home from the pub after an night on the wobble juice.

LSD has a lot to answer for in the UK.

Taksraven

(Trying to steer the thread slightly back onto the topic)

Tell me that the 6th Doctors outfit was not the result of LSD/drug-induced brain damage.

c_baker.jpg

Taksraven

Hell I thought that when it was current, for the same reason that I thought Peter Davidson's was odd to say the least.

I often wondered how the Daleks and Cybermen didnt recognise the doctor after his regeneration, he is mostly the worst dress person in the universe.

Dalek 1 " who is that Humanoid"

Dalek2 " i dont know but his clothing is wrong"

Dalek1 " He must be the Doctor"

Dalek 1 and 2 "EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!!"

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a little disappointed to find put that the villain in

The Forgotten

is

the Meta-Crisis Doctor

That kind of ruins the end of

Journey's End

for me.

And it is officially canon as according to the writers.

it's probably all in his mind, but if it isn't then spoiling the end of

Journey's End

and screwing over

RTD's Rose/Doctor love in

makes me sooooo happy.

• 1 month later...